Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing falling apart after one wash

Options
  • 25-05-2016 5:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

I bought a pair of shorts online recently. I always wash clothes before wearing them so I threw them in the machine. After one wash (and having never been worn) they're falling apart at the seams.

I was looking at the websites return policy and it says "We are happy to exchange or refund merchandise items if returned within 28 days of purchase, provided the goods are unused, unopened & in original packaging and accompanied by a valid DenimBar.ie receipt."

These shorts are unwearable but they've obviously been washed and I'm sure I threw out the tags. I think I may also have thrown out the receipt that came with the shorts. Do I have any rights here? I don't have €25 to throw around on absolute rubbish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

did you pay by cash or credit card? - Ideally you need proof of purchase - a receipt or credit/debit card receiplt.

Bring the item back, explain calmly what has happened and they should exchange them.

The 28 day policy they give is in addition to to your statutory rghts which apply when an item is faulty or not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was looking at the websites return policy and it says "We are happy to exchange or refund merchandise items if returned within 28 days of purchase, provided the goods are unused, unopened & in original packaging and accompanied by a valid DenimBar.ie receipt."

That's commonly known as a 'no quibble' returns policy which covers the situation where you bring the item home and then simply change your mind. You are not relying on such a policy as you have already washed the clothes. What you will be relying on is consumer legislation which covers you when you purchase goods which are 'not fit for purpose'.

You bought them online so you received a confirmation e-mail with an order number - please say you held on to that e-mail, it's the online equivalent of a store receipt. Take a photo of the damage, send it to them and ask for a refund.

Advertisement