Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from Career break. Advice?

Options
  • 25-05-2016 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,

I am employed as a Part time pro-rata teacher on a specific purpose contract covering for a two teachers on Jobshare. My contract is for 12 hours.
    I am returning from career break and when I emailed 2 weeks ago to check in with my Manager (Further ED) I was told that I was being moved to a different school and that I would only be offered 3 hours.
    The teachers that I was covering for have not resumed full time duty, Can they do this? I have contacted the union and am awaiting their response.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you clarify please? Were you a full-time teacher before your career break? And now they are offering you three hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭petalgumdrops

Hi sorry for the confusion I worked 12 hours per week for two years before taking a career break ( Part time pro-rata on a specific purpose contract covering for teachers on Jobs share) Renewable each year. I get paid for all holidays and have the same entitlements as a full time teacher (career break, maternity leave etc) I was under the impression that as my contract is a specific purpose contract then I would remain employed under the same conditions until the teachers I am covering for return to full time duties. The teachers I am covering for have not returned and I have not been notified by the ETB of any changes to my contract. I am now being offered 3 hours instead of 12. I asked the ETB if they could clarify why my hours reduced so drastically and I was told that teachers on Career break are not guaranteed their hours when they return from career break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have thought the same as you did. Get on to your union.

Advertisement