Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Statistic of the Great War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

enfield wrote: »

I traced my greatgranduncle through the various stats you provided, he is in the most common surnames, Lienster regiment, meathman. 32 years old, 3rd battle of ypres (not sure about this as all I know is he received wounds which he died from in Belgium in 1917).

I am however, not certain he is in the figures as he died of his wounds in January 1919 about 14 months afterward receiving them having never left hospital.

Are post armistice deaths from wounds included in the stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

First Things first.
    Congratulations on accomplishing a gargantuan task. It is no small feat and anything which adds to an understanding of the past, through collection of relevant facts is to be applauded and is worthy of thanks from all interested in the subject.

Having attempted something similar but MUCH smaller scale myself I fully realise that you have to set your ground rules in advance and be rigorous in their application, but I notice you attribute the adjective "Irish" only to men from the 26 counties. Why is that?

I know for a fact that whereas many of the Ulster battalions, especially in the 36th Division, would probably have preferred to call themselves British rather than Irish there were many men in those same regiments that would have shot you if you suggested they were anything other than Irish.

Quite apart from the 36th (Ulster) Division there were many battalions of Ulster regiments that took part in other formations. Not least at Gallipoli in which the Inniskilling Fusiliers contributed battalions to both the 29th and 10th (Irish) Divisions where they suffered (by my calculation) a total of 607 fatalities.

Is it your intention to broaden the search to include the remaining six counties? Or do you think you deserve a rest?
    No-one could blame you if you did. :)

Well done and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Hello Paul.
    Post war deaths where recorded by the CWGC are included, should any man die post war from war related illness or wounds he is included. A lot of these 'slipped through the CWGC net' and this is now being addressed by the 'In from the cold project,' if you post his name I will see if there is anything on him. So far I have successfully added 6 to the CWGC through this project.

Snickers man, thank you kindly for your supportive words, this project has already taken ten years, the 26 counties are the only Irish ones I covered as there was no support or help to include them or the other six, they are too far away and would need more than one person doing them. I would expect Antrim to have more casualties than Cork but less than Dublin, alone it would take more than two years to complete.

I suggest nothing, nor do I make assumptions, the criteria for inclusion is in the listing.

Kind regards.
    Tom.

Another one of 'my lads' added to the CWGC only today by the 'in from the cold' project- Jeremiah James McCarthy.
    http://infromthecold.proboards.com/board/9/new-cwgc-commemorations

Jeremiah James McCarthy was put forward on 16/02/2016 for consideration and only added today in the CWGC. Amongst other data that accompanied his application was his death cert. If you are considering putting someone forward for inclusion you WILL need his death cert. If he is accepted by the MOD for the CWGC you will be reimbursed the cost of the death cert.
    Cuimhnímis Iad-we will remember them.

Tom.

Looking at the distribution of fatalities among ranks brings to mind a very English rebel song.

From the Chumbawamba album "English rebel songs 1381-1914"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are you going to publish this somewhere? Military magazine/history journal, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hello Pinky. 6 million words, 29,493 paragraphs, 7,000 pages and 8,000 images, sure who would take it on? In the past there have been sounds from different interested tyre kickers, all to no end.
    These databases will be available to assess and use in Camden Fort Meagher, Crosshaven, County Cork this Saturday and Sunday.

enfield wrote: »
    Hello Pinky. 6 million words, 29,493 paragraphs, 7,000 pages and 8,000 images, sure who would take it on? In the past there have been sounds from different interested tyre kickers, all to no end.
    These databases will be available to assess and use in Camden Fort Meagher, Crosshaven, County Cork this Saturday and Sunday.

That's where you need an editor. There MUST be scope to publishing this in some sort of book form.

It was my hope to have it published to replace Ireland's Memorial Records. 'Is feidir linn' approach would be a very pleasant change.

"Is féidir linn" mo thón! Rinne sibh é cheana féin.

Is é an rud seo chugainn an rud níos éasca!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

The figure of around 30,000 Irish deaths although terrible still seems quite low compared with over 100,000 Scottish deaths. About the same amount died during just one summer of the 1798 rebellion compared to four years of the worst war the world had ever seen at the time. How many Ulstermen died in the conflict alone?

The only Ulster counties included in the above figures are Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.
    Derry, Down, Armagh, Tyrone, Fermanagh and Antrim are yet to be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

The figure of around 30,000 Irish deaths although terrible still seems quite low compared with over 100,000 Scottish deaths.

I think there were a good deal more than that. I'd say closer to 50k. Also I thought Scottish killed was 75k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Jesus. wrote: »
    I think there were a good deal more than that. I'd say closer to 50k. Also I thought Scottish killed was 75k?

I wasn't sure on Scot's deaths. I googled it & the pages I looked at all had varying figures but all around 100K mark, one had Alex Salmond giving a figure of 145,000. I've never seen any Irish figures at over much more 35,000 - maybe that's not including the 6 counties tho. According to Peter Taylors documentary "Loyalists: No Surrender" the West Belfast battlion (known as the Shankill Boys) had 700+ men fighting in the Somme and only 70 survived.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Balcombe, the Irish Govt "remembers" 49+ thousand who died in WW1 but that includes Irish who served in all armies not just British. Also conscription was introduced intae Scotland and not here so that meant many more Scots had tae fight.

Fair enough RE Scotch figures. I had a 75k number stuck in my head from reading it a few years ago

Advertisement