Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Padme

I got the snoozle delivered today, just tried it out there and was able to roll over no problem, the excitement!!! Thanks for the recommendation greenttc!!!

I'm 29 weeks tomorrow, and I'm finishing up work in three weeks. I'm going to get a sick note for it, I'm finding it all too much at this stage. The SPD is bad, and then to make things worse, I have low iron. I nearly passed out on Monday and Tuesday. Luckily I was going to the hospital on Tuesday anyway for my anti-d so they got me in to see my consultant, and did my bloods and the GCT as well. Bloods showed low iron which explains it plus how tired I am. Doc has put me on galfer so hopefully that'll help. The GCT was normal thankfully, and consultant said I can finish up now if I want, but I have too much on in work for the next few weeks.

I'm getting the whooping cough vaccine on Monday, another thing off my to do list.

We're not doing any classes this time around, as I'm having a section. I went to the Mothercare baby and me event, I found it really good, they had a talk from a midwife, the red cross etc.

Oh and we found out what we're having. We only found out because we had the harmony test, and they can tell you with that. We're not telling people though, we only found out to see if we needed to keep our son's clothes, or get rid of them to make room in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

greenttc wrote:
    I am going to finish at christmas too tango, couldn't face going back for just two weeks. Will you take annual leave for the three before maternity or will you get a sick note? I am hoping for a sick note but a bit nervous about how to broach that with my doctor!!

I'm going to take two weeks annual leave in January and then start my maternity leave. I'll be taking the unpaid leave too so I should be out for most of 2017! I'm sure though your doc would have no trouble signing you off so don't feel bad about bringing it up with him/her...if we get to Christmas we're doing pretty well so no shame in taking sick leave for two weeks.

Must look into the snoozle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I'm going to take two weeks annual leave in January and then start my maternity leave. I'll be taking the unpaid leave too so I should be out for most of 2017! I'm sure though your doc would have no trouble signing you off so don't feel bad about bringing it up with him/her...if we get to Christmas we're doing pretty well so no shame in taking sick leave for two weeks.

Must look into the snoozle too.

Yep, have had Christmas in my head as my target to get to for so long! Will see what my doctor says if I see her this week.

Went down to Dundrum yesterday, big mistake as I was in bits afterwards but had a look in penny's and found these maternity knickers that were seam free and had a high waistband, never saw them before so got a few, seems like they would be perfect if ended up with a section or anything! They also have nursing bras which are nice and comfy!

Then boots had a three for two deal on maternity pads so have stocked up on those too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

greenttc wrote: »
    I am hoping for a sick note but a bit nervous about how to broach that with my doctor!!

I wouldn't worry about asking your doc for the sick note - they get asked all the time & I'm sure they'll know it is for a genuine reason. On my first baby, I asked to be signed off three days early & was freaking out over it & my GP just said to me "I love it when the mams just say enough is enough and ask for the cert" :)

This time around, I'll be asking for it a few weeks in advance of finishing up - my back is already in bits and I've another 14 weeks to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I'm 26 weeks and have had some Bracton hicks. I never had them on my first.

Is it normal to have them this early?

• Advertisement

Marz66 wrote: »
    I'm 26 weeks and have had some Bracton hicks. I never had them on my first.

Is it normal to have them this early?

According to most websites, they usually start from about 20 weeks, so sounds about right. I've been having them for a while now too.

You tend to notice things like this far more on a second pregnancy as your muscles have been there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Thanks padme

It's a funny feeling when you're not used to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm 32 weeks and not a braxton hick in sight..... I seem to be the only one not getting them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I'm 32 weeks and not a braxton hick in sight..... I seem to be the only one not getting them!

If it's any reassurance I thought it was just the baby moving until around 36 weeks when I had a rake of them one night & twigged what it actually was. Think some people are more tuned into them but many go the whole pregnancy without noticing them & tis normal either way :) Its just a tight feeling most of the time so if you're running around its not the most obvious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stinam87

How are you ladies doing..haven't posted on here in a bit. I am now 27 weeks and absolutely flying through this pregnancy (my first) I am in the high risk category due to my thyroid so have had so many scans and all that. Great to see the baby wriggle about and grow!! Have had my flu jab and my glucose test so next on the list is the whooping cough one, will be getting that next week... went for a 4D scan last weekend and it was amazing to see her little face when she decided to cooperate in the end (found out at the 20 week scan we were having a little girl) and she well and truly has her dad wrapped around her finger already!! going to try and work up to the 2 weeks before she is due to get more time off afterwards, can't see this as being a problem as having an easy pregnancy(so far!)

• Advertisement

In case anyone is interested in the Angelcare AC1100 baby monitor, it's on Amazon at the moment for 101.99stg (price dropped 50stg yesterday). It's 299 Euro in Mothercare....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stinam87

Also just seen there that Boots have the tommy tippee bottles on offer for 12euro or something along them lines. 6 x9oz!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Failed the Glucose Tolerance Test on the final part. Been testing my sugars 7 times a day since last Friday. All bar 2 have been within range. Back with the diabetic nurse next week to review 2 weeks of test results.

ah smaoifs, thats a pain. how you getting on with it? is it diet controlled or have they given you medication?

Stinam87 wrote: »
    How are you ladies doing..haven't posted on here in a bit. I am now 27 weeks and absolutely flying through this pregnancy (my first) I am in the high risk category due to my thyroid so have had so many scans and all that. Great to see the baby wriggle about and grow!! Have had my flu jab and my glucose test so next on the list is the whooping cough one, will be getting that next week... went for a 4D scan last weekend and it was amazing to see her little face when she decided to cooperate in the end (found out at the 20 week scan we were having a little girl) and she well and truly has her dad wrapped around her finger already!! going to try and work up to the 2 weeks before she is due to get more time off afterwards, can't see this as being a problem as having an easy pregnancy(so far!)

its very cool seeing them wriggle around!

I am almost 32 weeks now and the movements have really really ramped up for me so seeing the wriggling on screen to match what I am feeling is amazing. It is mad you would think at this stage it wouldnt be a novelty anymore but I still cant believe or get my head around the fact that there is a person inside my tummy!

good that it is all going easily for you!

speaking of braxton hicks, I dont think I have had any at all. although in saying that I do find when I am walking around, maybe just for 5 minutes my whole tummy goes rock hard but it is fairly uncomfortable. thats not it, is it? it will last the whole time until I sit down again. I am guessing it is more likely to be linked to my lovely pelvic girdle pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

speaking of braxton hicks, I dont think I have had any at all. although in saying that I do find when I am walking around, maybe just for 5 minutes my whole tummy goes rock hard but it is fairly uncomfortable. thats not it, is it? it will last the whole time until I sit down again. I am guessing it is more likely to be linked to my lovely pelvic girdle pain!

That sounds exactly like a braxton hick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

greenttc wrote:
    ah smaoifs, thats a pain. how you getting on with it? is it diet controlled or have they given you medication?

All good so far. I've to test my sugars 7 times a day for 2 weeks and then go to the diabetic clinic. They'll decide if I carry on just watching my diet or if I need insulin.
    95% of my results are within the range for before a meal and one hour after so hopefully they'll just let me keep going as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Hi all, Am 32 weeks. Our Feb baby is looking likely to arrive in Jan thanks to this fan GD creating a little buddha in my belly!
    Feeling great and looking better than I have in a long time. I get tired easily but definitely hit the nesting stage yesterday. Hubby delighted!

I am in hell...day two of the vomiting bug. Take me now god, i can't handle anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

greenttc wrote:
    I am in hell...day two of the vomiting bug. Take me now god, i can't handle anymore!

Oh nooooo you poor thing. There are so many bugs going around. Don't worry - it won't last long. Just take it day by day.
    Hope you're ok. Xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I hear you, I'm in hell too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ohh no! What a horrible thing to catch!

Phew, that was rough, three days of vomiting followed by a bad cough and cold which is still lingering. So many aches and pains all over! Really hope you are all staying away from sick people and washing your hands every ten minutes, I wouldn't wish my week last week on Any pregnant woman!

Apart from that awful week I have woke up this morning and my tummy is rock hard and tight, can't even bend down a small bit cause it's too sore. The baby is kicking away so I know they are alright but this is like some kind of a prolonged all day braxton hicks. Has anyone else felt this? In holles Street this week but I feel like they will tell me it's fine as long as baby is kicking, that is their answer for everything! Would it be okay to use a hot water bottle on my tummy? Just want to try and ease how tight my whole tummy is!

And my final post this evening, do you think the "quietness" of our little February board and the January board is indicative of it being a quite time for due dates? I know September is supposed to be the most busy and Christmas week is supposed to be the quietest according to the CSO. Would be nice to think that labour wards and postnatal wards might not be so manic for us!

I get that tight feeling all the time greenttc. I think it's normal enough if uncomfortable. As for that can't bend over feeling - ''tis only starting 😀

I think the maternity hospitals are busy in run up to Christmas too , between people getting stressed out and overdoing things and then limited availability of personnel on holidays.

Phew, that was rough, three days of vomiting followed by a bad cough and cold which is still lingering. So many aches and pains all over! Really hope you are all staying away from sick people and washing your hands every ten minutes, I wouldn't wish my week last week on Any pregnant woman!

Was it flu? Sounds awful.

Glad you're feeling better Green!
    I don't think you should ever put hot water bottle directly on tummy. :-( Something to do with overheating waters and baby.
    Try massaging a bit of bio oil and if you're concerned give the hospital or your gp a call. Sounds like braxton hicks alright though.

• Advertisement

Or try a relaxing bath / shower?

Advertisement