Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Padme

How is everyone? I got signed off work last week, and have been feeling so much better since, I've been resting loads which is really helping. I'm still very immobile so I can't do much at all.
    I tend to get loads of braxton hicks every evening - anyone else getting this? I could get them every few minutes for an hour. It's freaking me out a bit as all the websites/books say more than four in an hour is cause to go to the hospital, but it happens every night for me and has done for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Padme wrote:
    How is everyone? I got signed off work last week, and have been feeling so much better since, I've been resting loads which is really helping. I'm still very immobile so I can't do much at all. I tend to get loads of braxton hicks every evening - anyone else getting this? I could get them every few minutes for an hour. It's freaking me out a bit as all the websites/books say more than four in an hour is cause to go to the hospital, but it happens every night for me and has done for weeks.

I'm the last woman standing in my workplace. We have had one December birth so far, waiting on another. Then we have 2 in January and 2 of us in February. The January mammies have already finished and the other February mammy has been signed off so all eyes are on me now!
    I don't think I've had any Braxton Hicks. Bump gets bigger and harder at night but that's about it.

smaoifs wrote: »
    I'm the last woman standing in my workplace. We have had one December birth so far, waiting on another. Then we have 2 in January and 2 of us in February. The January mammies have already finished and the other February mammy has been signed off so all eyes are on me now!
    I don't think I've had any Braxton Hicks. Bump gets bigger and harder at night but that's about it.

My braxton hicks are kinda funny, the bump goes very pointy on one side, like baby is being shrink wrapped for a few seconds.

I think I have a stomach bug now, I feel AWFUL. Have a temp of 38 so I've been taking paracetamol. Hopefully it's just a 24hr thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Padme wrote:
    I think I have a stomach bug now, I feel AWFUL. Have a temp of 38 so I've been taking paracetamol. Hopefully it's just a 24hr thing.

You poor thing. Hope you're trying to keep well hydrated if you can. We're coming into the last few weeks now...hard to believe. I'm extremely uncomfortable, killed with heartburn at all times but especially at night even though I'm taking ranitidine and gaviscon and the tiredness is brutal...much worse than with my other two. I'd say I'm a barrel of laughs to live with at the moment! But sure it's coming to an end and we'll all have lovely bundles of joy in a manner of a few weeks. Exciting.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year ladies! We're having our babies next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

HaPpy new year february mammies!

Padme hope you got over that vomiting bug, i can completely empathise, worst three days of my whole pregnancy!

Tango, heartburn us so uncomfortable, i have been taking omoprazole for a few months and was lucky for it to disappear with that. Might be something to consider if it gets unbearable!

I have almost packed my hospital bag now, i think i need a bigger bag, there is so much bulky stuff! Maternity pads and nappies take up so much space!

Not long to go now, agh!!! I am sure i will go over though i am hoping i am one of the lucky ones who dont have to wait too long.

I am feeling grand about it all though, to be honest i am not fearing the birth process really my only thing i am worried about is the possibility of tearing or needing an episiotomy, it sounds horrific. Keep trying to tell myself to do some perineal massage but havent even done that, not sure i am flexible enough with this bump to do it properly anyway and it is not something i want my husband doing, ugh! Does it even help?

I was very lucky, I got a 24hr version of the bug. I'm still very weak but way way better. I'm really suffering with heartburn at night though. Last time I got that much earlier, but gaviscon sorted it. Only started getting it recently this time, and it's vicious, wakes me up around 2am and I have to get up for a couple of hours and watch tv and drink milk. I'm exhausted.
    I did get my section date though, so the end is in sight. Feb 1, just hope baby stays put until then. Have loads to do around the house to get ready. I've been doing millions of loads of laundry, so at least I've clothes ready for baby to wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

greenttc wrote: »
    I am feeling grand about it all though, to be honest i am not fearing the birth process really my only thing i am worried about is the possibility of tearing or needing an episiotomy, it sounds horrific. Keep trying to tell myself to do some perineal massage but havent even done that, not sure i am flexible enough with this bump to do it properly anyway and it is not something i want my husband doing, ugh! Does it even help?

I think some people are undecided as to whether it helps. Some studies have shown it to help, but as far as I know there's no concrete evidence of exactly what to do, for exactly how long for, and exactly how often - as different studies have varied.

I too am scared of tearing (although apparently if you're a FTM you're almost certainly going to tear anyway, according to a physio I spoke to in Holles st....), but figure the perineal massage is worth a shot - even if you still tear, maybe it might lessen it slightly? So I've been doing it about twice a week for the last few weeks. I can just about reach. It's really not a pleasant sensation though - I set a timer and don't go even 10 seconds over!!! I agree that I wouldn't want my husband to do it for me.... with all the pregnancy hormones, our little ladies don't tend to look their best at this stage either!!

Also greenttc, how's your SPD holding up?

• Advertisement

Had a gp check today and got results to last bloods...I'm quite anaemic so got a row for not taking iron as diligently as I should (I've been really bad taking it as I hate the side effects). So I'm on double dose now. Hopefully that will cure the terrible fatigue I've been having. Four weeks tomorrow until my due date so getting really excited now. Washed my neutral vests and babygros today. I had my last baby at 37/weeks, although I was induced but Have a feeling I'll go overdue with this one. My bp has stayed perfect throughout this pregnancy which is great so hopefully no preeclampsia this time. Great to be off work too to put the feet up!

Had a gp check today and got results to last bloods...I'm quite anaemic so got a row for not taking iron as diligently as I should (I've been really bad taking it as I hate the side effects). So I'm on double dose now. Hopefully that will cure the terrible fatigue I've been having. Four weeks tomorrow until my due date so getting really excited now. Washed my neutral vests and babygros today. I had my last baby at 37/weeks, although I was induced but Have a feeling I'll go overdue with this one. My bp has stayed perfect throughout this pregnancy which is great so hopefully no preeclampsia this time. Great to be off work too to put the feet up!

I had mine taken today too, doc commented that I looked very pale, so I have a feeling I might be put on a double dose too.

Slight change of plans here. The hospital is booked up on Feb 1, so I'm having my section a day earlier - it'll be a January baby! Three weeks (at most) to go!

Padme wrote: »
    Slight change of plans here. The hospital is booked up on Feb 1, so I'm having my section a day earlier - it'll be a January baby! Three weeks (at most) to go!

Aw yay! I'm due January 19th but I bet you have your baby before I have mine!

Aw yay! I'm due January 19th but I bet you have your baby before I have mine!

Oh god, I hope you don't go over that much!!!!

Padme wrote:

Ah brilliant! Must be lovely knowing of a concrete date you'll get to cuddle your baba!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Hi all,

Great to hear everyone's doing so well, heartburn and vomiting bugs aside. Hard to believe it'll all be happening for us next month, or later this month for you Padme!

Had a bit of a panic over Christmas realising how little I had bought. We have all our equipment as such - car seat, buggy, basket, cot, bath, etc. But no clothes. Like, none. We got some presents of baby clothes in the last few weeks but I'm going on a shopping frenzy this weekend and getting all the babygros, sleepsuits, vests, socks, hats, bibs, nappies, wipes, maternity pads, everything I can think of. I think I prefer shopping in bursts like that. At least then I'll feel marginally more prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

ally_pally wrote: »

Had a bit of a panic over Christmas realising how little I had bought. We have all our equipment as such - car seat, buggy, basket, cot, bath, etc. But no clothes. Like, none. We got some presents of baby clothes in the last few weeks but I'm going on a shopping frenzy this weekend and getting all the babygros, sleepsuits, vests, socks, hats, bibs, nappies, wipes, maternity pads, everything I can think of. I think I prefer shopping in bursts like that. At least then I'll feel marginally more prepared!

I know the feeling. Like you we have all the 'equipment' sorted but no baby clothes or maternity pads etc. We kept saying - 'ah sure no point trying to sort that until after Christmas'! Actually anyone find a cheap place to pick up maternity pads? Or is the likes of boots the best? Everyone keeps telling me you can't have enough of them! :D

Have you guys all got your hospital bags packed? This is what I wanted to sort asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Nothing packed, but I've nothing to pack it with yet!! Will hopefully have it done by this weekend. I'm not due until mid February so I probably have lots of time yet, but it's hit me now that Christmas is over that it could happen any day. This feeling of it being imminent will probably have me tearing my hear out as March approaches and there's still no sign of her arriving!

Nothing packed, but I've nothing to pack it with yet!! Will hopefully have it done by this weekend. I'm not due until mid February so I probably have lots of time yet, but it's hit me now that Christmas is over that it could happen any day. This feeling of it being imminent will probably have me tearing my hear out as March approaches and there's still no sign of her arriving!

Yeah I'm actually not due until 4 March but have been going to yoga classes etc and everyone seemed to pack their bags SUPER early so I was getting worried. But you've made me feel better now. :D

We're sorting the baby room at the minute - it's very exciting. Painting is done - just looking for curtains and a chest of drawers. Then I think I'll tackle the hospital bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've nothing packed either. I've a small suitcase at home that I fire stuff into occasionally, when the mood takes me. I'm not due till Feb 28th & fully expecting a March baba so that is my excuse. But my GP did say to me yesterday that I should have the bag packed so will try to get it done in the next week or so.

dreamstar wrote:
    I know the feeling. Like you we have all the 'equipment' sorted but no baby clothes or maternity pads etc. We kept saying - 'ah sure no point trying to sort that until after Christmas'! Actually anyone find a cheap place to pick up maternity pads? Or is the likes of boots the best? Everyone keeps telling me you can't have enough of them!

I got the pads in Boots cos they do a 3 for 2 offer so got a mix of the thick ones and the sanitary towel size ones. My sister used them after her baby and said they were great. Got the breast pads there as well.
    Have everything that's on the hospital list but not packed yet....think that will be my distraction when pains start.
    Had hospital appointment today which went great. 35 weeks today and scanned for the first time since 28 weeks. Bumpy is measuring exactly 35 weeks which they're delighted with cos of the gestational diabetes. Looking around 6lbs now so 8-8.5lbs if I go on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Pack your bag! I was due April 29th, fully expected a May baby, was admitted at my 36 week appointment and never let home. I had everything packed except my toiletries and it was a struggle to describe just that much to my husband!

I had everything packed except my toiletries and it was a struggle to describe just that much to my husband!

This made me laugh coz I was admitted to hospital last year - nothing pregnancy related. I told my husband to pack my pj's and dressing gown. I have a light grey dressing gown that was perfect. Well he arrived in with my full length really fluffy dressing gown that looked like cow print with the ears and all on the hood! :D:D:D Had to wear it to my scans etc!

So yeah I'm with Spotty - much better to pack your own. Just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

smaoifs wrote: »
    I got the pads in Boots cos they do a 3 for 2 offer so got a mix of the thick ones and the sanitary towel size ones. My sister used them after her baby and said they were great.

Get loads of them - I thought I had enough last time around, probably cos they are so massive looking but I ended up having to send my husband to the chemist to get more. Poor man didn't even know where to look for them in the chemist.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Get loads of them - I thought I had enough last time around, probably cos they are so massive looking but I ended up having to send my husband to the chemist to get more. Poor man didn't even know where to look for them in the chemist.

Yeah I've heard you literally can't have enough of them! I happened to see them in the shop in Holles St and they were 7 euro! You wouldn't want to be stuck buying them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

God I have been terrible at posting here, I have just been selfishly reading and now contributing at all!

Bag has been packed for a few weeks now, but when I say bag I actually mean four bags!!! Ahhh!

One is my labour bag, another is the after baby arrives bag for me and one for baby and the fourth is the extras bag where all the extra things were put and that will just stay in the boot. Stuff like extra maternity pads, baby clothes is 0-3 months incase baby doesn't fit in newborn sizes (hopefully that isnt needed, Dont want to squeeze out an oversized baby!

So i am almost 39 weeks, just feeling normal apart from kicks being a bit more painful cause this baby has stretchedy tummy as far as it will go and it has run out of room!

I bet I will go over the 14 days but honestly I don't really mind right now! I have a strong feeling of experiencing the last few days of being just me and my husband and can't believe that will all be over soon. On to the next exciting chapter now though!

greenttc wrote:
    I bet I will go over the 14 days but honestly I don't really mind right now! I have a strong feeling of experiencing the last few days of being just me and my husband and can't believe that will all be over soon. On to the next exciting chapter now though!

Yeah that's the scary thing...soon the pregnancy part will be all over and there'll be a baby to take care of! Gulp!

I'm 38 weeks + 3. Had my last baby at 37 weeks so I already feel like I've gone over so I'm an absolute joy to live with at the moment! I'm over thinking every little pain and kick etc hoping that labour is imminent but baby doesn't seem to have any designs on making a welcome early appearance! Ah well he/she will come when he/she good and ready! I'm also very anaemic and waiting for hospital to call to take me in for an iron infusion. Has anyone had one of these done before?

I've four bags ready too! Better to be over prepared than under prepared IMO.

Six days left, eeek. Still have loads to do. Trying to get organised but I have no energy. The bags are pretty much packed, I have a wheely case for me and a gym bag for baby. I have a large bag of all my extra stuff packed so hubby can bring in extra stuff. I'll be in for minimum four nights though, hope they don't keep me in for five, I'll crack up.
    I must start washing bottles and soothers tomorrow. I'm hoping to breastfeed, but it didn't work out last time, so I'm trying not to put pressure on myself. I have a couple of wraps washed and ready to go too, planning to baby wear as much as possible.
    Hard to believe I'll have baby in my arms in under a week!

• Advertisement

Padme wrote:
    Six days left, eeek. Still have loads to do. Trying to get organised but I have no energy. The bags are pretty much packed, I have a wheely case for me and a gym bag for baby. I have a large bag of all my extra stuff packed so hubby can bring in extra stuff. I'll be in for minimum four nights though, hope they don't keep me in for five, I'll crack up. I must start washing bottles and soothers tomorrow. I'm hoping to breastfeed, but it didn't work out last time, so I'm trying not to put pressure on myself. I have a couple of wraps washed and ready to go too, planning to baby wear as much as possible. Hard to believe I'll have baby in my arms in under a week!

Exciting times ahead for us all! I got admitted this morning after my waters broke overnight. Pains haven't started yet though but in all likelihood I'll be having a January baby too. I didn't get to wash the bottles etc beforehand though due to my lack of energy. Nesting didn't kick in for me! So I'll be giving detailed instructions to hubby to do it ;-). It'll keep him busy!

Advertisement