Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Oh no!!! Poor wee pet. We have our jabs tomorrow.... I'm dreading it!

You poor thing. Plenty of TLC and a clear schedule to cuddle baba for you tomorrow. Its awful watching the jabs go in but that only lasts a few seconds and hopefully your wee babs won't be as unsettled as mine was earlier. Poor things...it's for the greater good I suppose.

deh983 wrote:
    Aw your poor little baba. Those injections are awful. Can u give her calpol??
    yeah, with the new vaccines you have to give calpol in gp office before you leave and ever 4-6 hours afterwards. Bracing myself for a rocky night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah I hope your night isn't too bad... I hear some babies sleep lots and lots after the injections so I hope your baby goes down okay (hopefully mine will too!). Let us know how you got on in the morning.... my wee man's appointment is for 2.45. I hope he isn't too unsettled by it all.

Ah I feel like we are being bad to them by putting them through it :(

Ah I hope your night isn't too bad... I hear some babies sleep lots and lots after the injections so I hope your baby goes down okay (hopefully mine will too!). Let us know how you got on in the morning.... my wee man's appointment is for 2.45. I hope he isn't too unsettled by it all.

She had a great night! Went down at 9 pm until 3 am. Bottle, wind and change and back to sleep at 4.15 and is still asleep now! Usually after her first feed/wake up, the cat nap schedule starts so its lovely to have had two long stretches of sleep.

Good luck today caitriona, hope your baba isn't too unsettled and that he sleeps well for you tonight. Let us know how you get on.

How did you get on last night deh?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

She had a great night! Went down at 9 pm until 3 am. Bottle, wind and change and back to sleep at 4.15 and is still asleep now! Usually after her first feed/wake up, the cat nap schedule starts so its lovely to have had two long stretches of sleep.

Good luck today caitriona, hope your baba isn't too unsettled and that he sleeps well for you tonight. Let us know how you get on.

How did you get on last night deh?

Glad you had a nice easy night. We were the same as the night before. Didn't sleep much from 6-10. Had feed then at 10 asleep by 11. Slept till 6 fed her asleep and had to life her to car at 9 for Creche. Going to bring her to phn clinic now just tak make sure she gaining weight etc & have a chat with her.
    She seems to fight something when she's asleep. Probably wind but I can't get anymore out of her.
    :(

I felt like the cruellest mama in the world today! Wee man had his vaccines. He's such a calm baby and most days he doesn't cry at all, and when he does he only whines a little and is easily settled. So I got the shock of my life when he roared at the top of his lungs - I didn't know babies could be so loud! - when the vaccines went in. He cried big proper fat tears - again a new experience for us. He was so upset, god bless him. I felt so bad.

That was a few hours ago and so far he has mainly slept on my chest. He just woke out of his sleep roaring crying there, which he's never done before, but I managed to settle him down to sleep again. Poor wee baba. I've nothing planned for tomorrow other than lots of cuddles.

How was your wee girl today, tangobelle?

• Advertisement

I felt like the cruellest mama in the world today! Wee man had his vaccines. He's such a calm baby and most days he doesn't cry at all, and when he does he only whines a little and is easily settled. So I got the shock of my life when he roared at the top of his lungs - I didn't know babies could be so loud! - when the vaccines went in. He cried big proper fat tears - again a new experience for us. He was so upset, god bless him. I felt so bad.

Ah poor wee dote. Its awful isn't it watching their wee faces scrunch up in pain. I hope you had an OK evening with him and that your night goes OK too. My birdie was in good form today thankfully so I'm sure your wee dude will be grand tomorrow too. Our worst period yesterday was 6-8/hours after the jabs and it got better after.

How did you get on with phn deh?

Ah poor wee dote. Its awful isn't it watching their wee faces scrunch up in pain. I hope you had an OK evening with him and that your night goes OK too. My birdie was in good form today thankfully so I'm sure your wee dude will be grand tomorrow too. Our worst period yesterday was 6-8/hours after the jabs and it got better after.

How did you get on with phn deh?

I must remember all this advice when it's our turn!!
    She didn't give me a magic cure :) she piling on the weight. 10lbs 2ozs now. We had a much better day today. Got her down for an hour and half this morning & 2 hours in the afternoon in the kitchen with the extractor fan on!!!

The phn said it could be her digestive system just sorting itself out and I could give her the juice of some mandarin orange in some water in case she was bit constipated.
    Here's hoping she sleeps all night again tonight.

Hope you have a good night Catriona after the jabs

deh983 wrote:
    I must remember all this advice when it's our turn!! She didn't give me a magic cure she piling on the weight. 10lbs 2ozs now. We had a much better day today. Got her down for an hour and half this morning & 2 hours in the afternoon in the kitchen with the extractor fan on!!!

Ha...I had a little chuckle at extractor fan! Never thought of that one....I had the hoover on a lot a few weeks back, my floors were spotless and it kept baba calm! Glad you had a better day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Padme

Anyone who's baby had their first vaccines - did they run a temp after it? My little man has his tomorrow morning, an I'm very nervous about it...

Padme wrote:
    Anyone who's baby had their first vaccines - did they run a temp after it? My little man has his tomorrow morning, an I'm very nervous about it...

I was told by nurse that they do run fever after it but my little lady didn't but she was in terrible form about 6 hours after and cried inconsolably for about two hours. However, she slept really well after that and has been fine since. Good luck anyway, it's not a nice thing to have to do. Hopefully he'll be fine again by this time tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Padme wrote: »

We had ours yesterday afternoon. They made him quite cranky and he slept more than usual. I actually woke him this morning at 6am as he was roasting hot to touch (his dad put him down last night and he had an extra layer on him than how I usually dress him though), and he had gone longer than usual without a feed. His forehead is still warm to touch now, so he definitely has a temperature. I've just taken two layers off and given him some calpol and some milk. He seems happy enough and is drifting back off to sleep now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Both of mine had temperature. I missed the third dose of calpol with one baby as I thought he was fine and then his temperature rose really quickly. So the moral of the story is read the instructions and give the calpol.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Padme wrote: »

Mine never did with any of his vaccines. Slept like a log though. Meaning you can have that glass of wine for the stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Neyite wrote: »
    Mine never did with any of his vaccines. Slept like a log though. Meaning you can have that glass of wine for the stress.

But it's the new vaccines that cause the temperatures neyite. Specifically meningitis b. About 40% get a temperature but both my twins did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

My nurse told me that because we live so close (10 minute walk) I could give her the first dose of calpol before we leave the house for the vaccination. Getting them in 2 weeks and not looking forward to it. She only ever cries when she's hungry or needs a change and even then it's more of a whinge. Only once I've heard her pained, heartbroken cry and that was last week when she pulled her own hair!

So today's fun discovery is the little man HATES calpol. He threw up when I gave it after the rotavirus vaccine so he had to get a second dose of that. He threw up during the third dose too, so I hope he doesn't get any temp during the night. It's awful trying to get it into him, he tried to spit it out and bawls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

smaoifs wrote: »
    My nurse told me that because we live so close (10 minute walk) I could give her the first dose of calpol before we leave the house for the vaccination. Getting them in 2 weeks and not looking forward to it. She only ever cries when she's hungry or needs a change and even then it's more of a whinge. Only once I've heard her pained, heartbroken cry and that was last week when she pulled her own hair!

I've never had to give my baby calpol for his shots. They don't always need it. It's only if they get a bit of a temperature after. He usually was fine straight after but sleepy the next day. My nurse said only give calpol if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I've never had to give my baby calpol for his shots. They don't always need it. It's only if they get a bit of a temperature after. He usually was fine straight after but sleepy the next day. My nurse said only give calpol if needed.

For the new men b vaccine, they recommend you give them the calpol as they are more likely to get a high temperature with it. But it's each to their own. For me, I'm be giving it and also getting the vaccines as late as possible on the afternoon so that they are going to bed soon enough after it, for both their sake and my sanity lol

My little man ran a temp during the night, we had to try to get Calpol into him at six am. I hope it stays away, he's had the four doses of calpol now.

CheerLouth wrote:
    For the new men b vaccine, they recommend you give them the calpol as they are more likely to get a high temperature with it. But it's each to their own. For me, I'm be giving it and also getting the vaccines as late as possible on the afternoon so that they are going to bed soon enough after it, for both their sake and my sanity lol

Yea I had to give calpol in surgery and then was told to give it again no later than 6 hours after that...I gave it at five hours after to be on safe side. My baba didn't get fever but I think that's because I gave calpol before it got chance to develop. I gave four doses altogether...this was recommended in leaflet given at the vaccinations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ah sorry, didn't realise it was for the new vaccines. We haven't given our baby them yet as they weren't covered as he was born in July.

Yea I had to give calpol in surgery and then was told to give it again no later than 6 hours after that...I gave it at five hours after to be on safe side. My baba didn't get fever but I think that's because I gave calpol before it got chance to develop. I gave four doses altogether...this was recommended in leaflet given at the vaccinations.

That's great, hoping it will work the same for us.

We've been using Mamia (Aldi) nappies and have gotten on great with sizes 1 and 2.
    Tried her on size 3 last night going to bed as they offer 12 hour dryness and leak protection. She was awake after 5 hours soaked through her vest, grow and onto her sheet.
    I can see from a Google search that this seems to be a common complaint on parenting forums and on Aldi's website. Luckily I only bought them for nighttime so still have size 2 on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Can't believe I haven't been able to post on here at all the past few weeks, I have come in, read what you all posted and the minute I try to post I get sidetracked (or is boards the sidetrack to everything else!...)

Anyway, so glad to see everyone is getting on so well. My baby is 7 weeks now which I can't believe, still breastfeeding despite the pain, gp has pretty much told me to stop but the guilt is overwhelming which is ridiculous! I really need to make the move to bottles for All our sakes

Soo not looking forward to these vaccinations, of course it is for his good but don't know how I will watch pain being inflicted on my little man.

Nappies.... Well I have found the also ones the best so far and he is still in size 2 although we have had a fair few leaky poos the past week. So size 3 are a nightmare are they? Wonder why? What is different about them?

I am trying to think, what can I do to prevent a poo leakage during his christening which is coming up soon, stains all over his little white outfit will not be a good look. Anyone any ideas?

I totally understand about the cabin fever you guys were talking about too. I am lucky to live in dublin beside shops and parks so get out a good bit. Still, you need some human interaction! So, I have started a baby massage course, great to talk to other mums bur also he looooooved the massage, he slept so well for all of his sleeps afterwards, really glad I have done it for me and him!

Want to try post more here so will try harder in future!! Hooe everyone else keeps posting too cause I love reading about all the babies of the same age!!

smaoifs wrote:
    We've been using Mamia (Aldi) nappies and have gotten on great with sizes 1 and 2. Tried her on size 3 last night going to bed as they offer 12 hour dryness and leak protection. She was awake after 5 hours soaked through her vest, grow and onto her sheet. I can see from a Google search that this seems to be a common complaint on parenting forums and on Aldi's website. Luckily I only bought them for nighttime so still have size 2 on the go.

Ah that's really annoying! I found Huggies were a disaster for leaks but my two year old has been in aldi nappies of all sizes since she was born and got on fine. I hope you get to use up your supply. The lidl nappies seem to be fine too and they often have them half price on their weekend super savers deal. I think there's an online deal too on Pampers on boots.ie. I've two in nappies and its like a conveyer belt of nappy changes here some days!

My wee one had another good night but the catnapping during the day is getting no better. We didn't go anywhere yesterday.. We normally go for a walk or a drive to shops or nearest town and she'll have a good sleep in pram or in car. But yesterday, she slept no longer than 15 minutes at any time and was like a bear come 5 o'clock!

greenttc wrote:
    I am trying to think, what can I do to prevent a poo leakage during his christening which is coming up soon, stains all over his little white outfit will not be a good look. Anyone any ideas?

That was my big fear too for the christenings or any dressy outings! Exploding poo nappies are no fun. I don't have any ideas though...put the outfit on him as late as possible and change him into something else as soon as you you get home and hope for the best. There might be plasticy pants you could pull up over which might contain some of the explosion. And maybe a double vest underneath to prevent it leaking through to the outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

smaoifs wrote: »
    We've been using Mamia (Aldi) nappies and have gotten on great with sizes 1 and 2.
    Tried her on size 3 last night going to bed as they offer 12 hour dryness and leak protection. She was awake after 5 hours soaked through her vest, grow and onto her sheet.
    I can see from a Google search that this seems to be a common complaint on parenting forums and on Aldi's website. Luckily I only bought them for nighttime so still have size 2 on the go.

Size 3 are probably too big. Are you have leaks with size 2? Normally when leaks start that is your sign to move up the sizes. The reason for leaks is that the fit is wrong.

Size 3 are probably too big. Are you have leaks with size 2? Normally when leaks start that is your sign to move up the sizes. The reason for leaks is that the fit is wrong.

I thought the same but from online reviews it seems to happen at all sizes of baby in Size 3. Size 3 cover 9-20lbs so she's in that range but at the lower end. I'll hold on to them anyway and try again in a week or so.

Ah that's really annoying! I found Huggies were a disaster for leaks but my two year old has been in aldi nappies of all sizes since she was born and got on fine. I hope you get to use up your supply. The lidl nappies seem to be fine too and they often have them half price on their weekend super savers deal. I think there's an online deal too on Pampers on boots.ie. I've two in nappies and its like a conveyer belt of nappy changes here some days!

My wee one had another good night but the catnapping during the day is getting no better. We didn't go anywhere yesterday.. We normally go for a walk or a drive to shops or nearest town and she'll have a good sleep in pram or in car. But yesterday, she slept no longer than 15 minutes at any time and was like a bear come 5 o'clock!

Mine is still doing the same with the naps. Had a good day yesterday but she's back to the same today. Don't know what to do with her. It's slowly wearing me down

• Advertisement

I'm also in the bad naps club! Wee man is 9 weeks and naps have been super short - 10 mins on average - the last few days. He had his vaccines on Tuesday so I put it down to that, and now we are staying in my parents house so I thought maybe because he's somewhere new, but on reading this I'm wondering if it's something they go through when they're around two months old? There's nothing about it on my wonder weeks app tho

Advertisement