Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Anyone having teething trouble yet? Lovely little add-on to the four month sleep regression!

Teething here too...chin all rashed with dribbles and everything is getting chewed down on. She gets most relief from my finger funnily enough even though we've a few teethers. Probably not that hygienic but whatever helps the poor wee thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Gripes it's hard at the minute. Hasn't slept for more than half an hour at a time today and only wants to sleep on me. I don't remember this with my first.
    This too shall pass.........

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

My GP said due to some HSE rule vaccines have to be given according to calendar months. So if your little one was born, e.g., February 20th, their 2 month vaccines have to be given on or after April 20th; 4 month vaccines on or after June 20th, etc.

Well, we broke all the rules last night which say not to make any big changes during a developmental leap or sleep regression. But we moved our little one into her cot in her own room. If we could we'd have probably just moved her to the cot and placed that in our room but the cot was assembled in her bedroom and now won't fit out the door!

But, amazingly, she slept brilliantly in it. She had definitely outgrown her basket and I think it was at the stage where it was effecting her sleep. I'm not being over confident in thinking this means we're out of the sleep regression woods but even knowing that she's still capable of having a good night where she just wakes once is making all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I thought we had reached a sleep regression there last week but it only lasted four days soo maybe that wasnt it...i am secretly hoping it was though! He has woken other nights but he just talks away to himslef and then goes back to sleep which is grand! Getting worried about him having a soother to sleep though, will be a nightmare when he goes into his own room and we have to get out of bed to put it back in. Its easy now when i can just reach into the cot and help him!

Naps during the day are gone bad here too, he is wrecked tired but refuses to Sleep for anything lomger than 20 mins and then is like a demon in the evening and falls asleep at 6 which is right before bedtime! Mabe i should make that bedtime but then my husband wouldnt get to see him at all!

We have teething here too but that has been happening for the past two months you can even see the little teeth just under the gums, they havent quite come though yet though i dont think. I have to change his bib every hour at a minimum! He cant quite figure out teethers and just relys on his hand even though he has wvery type of teether going! Gumme glove, soother tyoe teethers ring teethers teddy teethers... you name it he has it!

Weaning will be our next thing now. Can anyone recommend any good baby led weaning books or websites? Or do you have tips from your othe children? Wont start for at least another month but better get my head around it now

I am currently going through the search for childcare nightmare right now, so hard and so expensive. Cant decide between childminder or creche and both are very slim pickings where i live. The whole childcare benefit thing is making me angry too, why means test it and give it to those with no jobs who are at home anyway and those of us working and struggling to pay bills as it is get nothing. Infuriating!!!

greenttc wrote:
    I am currently going through the search for childcare nightmare right now, so hard and so expensive. Cant decide between childminder or creche and both are very slim pickings where i live. The whole childcare benefit thing is making me angry too, why means test it and give it to those with no jobs who are at home anyway and those of us working and struggling to pay bills as it is get nothing. Infuriating!!!

I hear ya! Our local creche is a community creche and those on unemployment assistance or medical card, etc get childcare for next to nothing... Therefore the creche seems to be full of kids whose parent(s) don't work! Doesn't make any sense at all. I've my little one booked in for January (since she was born) and although I'm confident she will get in, I was told that there's no guarantee she will. I've kept my older child in a few days a week to keep her place.

I'm thinking of starting the baby rice this weekend. She's 19 weeks now and definitely notice an increase in appetite. I never did baby led weaning before so can't help you there. I'll be starting with baby rice and baby porridge for a week or two before starting the stewed fruit and veg and mashed bananas etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Sleep regression here since last Thursday. I had hoped it was just the aftermath of the vaccines but I've been up every hour or so over the weekend.
    I moved her into the cot in her own room last night cos she's outgrown the Moses basket and our room feels very warm in his heat so thought that might be unsettling her. Not a bother on her going in there but was still in settling her every hour and ended up giving her a feed around 4 to try get her back to sleep. She was awake again at 6 wide awake and full of smiles.
    Really hoping things revert to normal soon, I'm knackered and hubby is on crutches so I'm doing most of the work these days.

smaoifs wrote:
    Sleep regression here since last Thursday. I had hoped it was just the aftermath of the vaccines but I've been up every hour or so over the weekend. I moved her into the cot in her own room last night cos she's outgrown the Moses basket and our room feels very warm in his heat so thought that might be unsettling her. Not a bother on her going in there but was still in settling her every hour and ended up giving her a feed around 4 to try get her back to sleep. She was awake again at 6 wide awake and full of smiles. Really hoping things revert to normal soon, I'm knackered and hubby is on crutches so I'm doing most of the work these days.

How old is your baba now smaoifs? Mine is 20 weeks past and I think she's showing signs of coming out of sleep regression, though I've probably just jinxed it there now by saying it! I'm still going in to settle her at night- she's also in her own room in big cot- but its not every hour anymore thankfully! It was a very rough few weeks there. Hopefully you'll see light at end of tunnel soon.

We started solids there last week. Just a bit of baby rice and porridge to begin with and going to try carrot and lentil puree today. It seems to be going well so far.

How old is your baba now smaoifs? Mine is 20 weeks past and I think she's showing signs of coming out of sleep regression, though I've probably just jinxed it there now by saying it! I'm still going in to settle her at night- she's also in her own room in big cot- but its not every hour anymore thankfully! It was a very rough few weeks there. Hopefully you'll see light at end of tunnel soon.

She'll be 19 weeks on Wednesday. She had been great, going down between 9 and 10 (putting herself to sleep) and waking up between 6 and 7. She still goes down around 9 but wakes up around 2 looking for her dummy and then every hour after. I don't interact with her so she knows it's not awake time, just pop the dummy in.
    I started her on sunshine orange today, she took about 3 spoons but looked a bit uncertain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I think we were just coming out of the sleep regression as wakeups were back down to twice in the night, but last night and tonight the wee man is super unsettled. Waking every hour and crying a lot harder than usual (although my ears are blocked at the mo so I'm probably not hearing his cries and responding as early to them as usual). I'm not sure if it's the heat or if he has a mild cold as he's a little snuffy, or if it's teething or what. But it's bloody hard work!

On the plus side, he has gone down to sleep without having to be nursed or rocked to sleep twice in the last two days. It's just a pity that he was awake roaring crying just an hour later though!

How are all your little ones coping with the heat?

I think we were just coming out of the sleep regression as wakeups were back down to twice in the night, but last night and tonight the wee man is super unsettled. Waking every hour and crying a lot harder than usual (although my ears are blocked at the mo so I'm probably not hearing his cries and responding as early to them as usual). I'm not sure if it's the heat or if he has a mild cold as he's a little snuffy, or if it's teething or what. But it's bloody hard work!

That's so weird, my ears have been blocking and popping this past week too! I wonder if its a survival instinct to help block out some of baby's sounds! Hope your wee man had a much better night last night.

No trouble with the heat here. Our little corner of the country escaped the fabulous weather the rest of country had and we were left with drizzle and sea mist. The sun is shining today so maybe we'll get something today. Hope your babas are all coping OK. The sun is great but the heat can be cruel.

We had another good night last night. Up twice to resettle her around midnight. Up for her bottle at 4.30 am and then slept until now. So good to get a decent chunk of uninterrupted sleep as opposed to every hour

• Advertisement

How are all your little ones coping with the heat?

My little lady spends the day in a string vest and goes to bed in just short sleeve/short leg sleepsuit. I didn't even put her in her 1tog bag last night as it was still warm when she went up and when I hacked her when I was going to bed she was fine, temperature in Waterford was still around 23.
    We've not been out and about much, she gets too clammy in the car seat so we've been in the garden with her in the shade on her playmat.
    Hate saying it but I'm looking forward to more normal temperatures returning.

My little one was so much better the last week or so with sleeping. But she had her 4 month vaccinations on Monday and she's so hard to settle down to sleep since. She just won't settle for me and last night was outright refusing to sleep in her cot. Out of desperation my husband rocked her to sleep in her bouncer chair and then very gingerly transferred her to her cot. I remember we had a VERY rough couple of days after her first vaccinations so this is probably the same. Can't be helped by the heat either. I'm hoping we'll be over the worst of her crankiness by tomorrow and the cooler weather should help.

Hi all hope everyone is doing well. We're either coming out of the sleep regression or just starting. (Ugh)
    Nearly at the end of leap 4 so apparently all settled down after that. I'll believe it when I see it. Rolled over for the first time during the week so lots more frustrated crying now as she can't get back on her back. Was due injections tomorrow but doctor cancelled as there was a problem with them???? Have an appointment myself tomorrow so will be asking more about that.

So I suppose all is going well at the minute. Naps are still a bit hit & miss but to be honest the weather is so nice that I can't stay at home everyday to try and sort them out. The 3 year old loves getting out & about so I can't justify keeping him at home everyday so she'll just have to get used to it!!

Hope everyone is keeping well & enjoying the lovely weather.

deh983 wrote:
    Hi all hope everyone is doing well. We're either coming out of the sleep regression or just starting. (Ugh) Nearly at the end of leap 4 so apparently all settled down after that. I'll believe it when I see it. Rolled over for the first time during the week so lots more frustrated crying now as she can't get back on her back. Was due injections tomorrow but doctor cancelled as there was a problem with them???? Have an appointment myself tomorrow so will be asking more about that.

Will you let us know what they say about the vaccines?
    Our sleep is (fingers crossed!!) settling down. I might have to go in to her 2 or 3 times during the night but she settles back to sleep for stretches of 2 hours or more.
    We had our first roll over this week too! She wore herself out yesterday trying to do it. Got as far as her side but her arm was in the way to get on to her belly. Went into her this morning cos she was whinging and here she was on her belly! Whinging cos she couldn't figure out how to get back on her back.

smaoifs wrote: »
    Will you let us know what they say about the vaccines?
    Our sleep is (fingers crossed!!) settling down. I might have to go in to her 2 or 3 times during the night but she settles back to sleep for stretches of 2 hours or more.
    We had our first roll over this week too! She wore herself out yesterday trying to do it. Got as far as her side but her arm was in the way to get on to her belly. Went into her this morning cos she was whinging and here she was on her belly! Whinging cos she couldn't figure out how to get back on her back.

Ha ha so cute we were the very same here. This one has me wrecked last few nights. Giving out in her sleep from 3:30 on. Not awake just fussing. Do your little ones still get a feed around 11ish. She dream feeds at this time but doesn't get up any wind & I think that's what's bothering her. I'm afraid to stop the feed in case I have to go back to feeding during the night. Might give it a go tonight & see what happens. Sure I'm awake with her fussing anyway!!!

No rolling here yet. I thought she was about to a few weeks ago as she was lifting her legs in the air and turning to one side. But she loves lifting her legs and grabbing her feet so much that she's forgotten to try rolling!

I'm still giving a dream feed when I go to bed around 11. On a good night that'll see her through to 6. On a less good night, she'll be hungry again 4 hours later. Feeding is the one area where I find I'm second guessing myself hugely. My girl takes 6 bottles of around 6 ounces per day which seems to be correct for her weight - going by the 2.5oz per pound rule. Then again, I haven't had her weighed in a while so there's a bit of guesswork going on there. Then I read lots of things online (mostly from US sites) which say not to give a baby more than 32oz per day. I'm not going to starve my baby based on some arbitrary rule but I'm also wondering is she eating too much and should I be starting her on solids earlier?!

ally_pally wrote: »
    No rolling here yet. I thought she was about to a few weeks ago as she was lifting her legs in the air and turning to one side. But she loves lifting her legs and grabbing her feet so much that she's forgotten to try rolling!

I'm still giving a dream feed when I go to bed around 11. On a good night that'll see her through to 6. On a less good night, she'll be hungry again 4 hours later. Feeding is the one area where I find I'm second guessing myself hugely. My girl takes 6 bottles of around 6 ounces per day which seems to be correct for her weight - going by the 2.5oz per pound rule. Then again, I haven't had her weighed in a while so there's a bit of guesswork going on there. Then I read lots of things online (mostly from US sites) which say not to give a baby more than 32oz per day. I'm not going to starve my baby based on some arbitrary rule but I'm also wondering is she eating too much and should I be starting her on solids earlier?!

I'm considering trying her with a little bit this weekend even though she's just gone 17 weeks. She flat out refused a nap this morning and has been awake since 8. Going to be a long day I think

deh983 wrote:
    Ha ha so cute we were the very same here. This one has me wrecked last few nights. Giving out in her sleep from 3:30 on. Not awake just fussing. Do your little ones still get a feed around 11ish. She dream feeds at this time but doesn't get up any wind & I think that's what's bothering her. I'm afraid to stop the feed in case I have to go back to feeding during the night. Might give it a go tonight & see what happens. Sure I'm awake with her fussing anyway!!!

If she's relaxed enough that it's a true dream feed she may not have wind?

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks though that my little one is much more able to get wind up on her own and often has only a tiny bit of wind or even none after feeds. Yours might be the same deh983.

The fussing from 3.30 onwards was a bit like what we went through when she was having the sleep regression. It's like she was almost waking after each sleep cycle and needed help to properly fall asleep. Usually it was the soother for her. But she could be tossing and turning for half an hour, spitting out her soother, immediately wanting it again. All while still asleep. Happened every couple of hours throughout the night. It was exhausting but it did pass after around ten days.

So good to hear the baby's progress. My wee man is sleeping from about 7 in the evening until 6 in the morning with no waking up for feeds he does fuss though and I have to put it in his soother. I have not put him in his own room though so really need to get doing that soon, I am really conscious that he knows I am there beside him when he sleeps and may not go to sleep without me there!!! Agh!!!

In terms of feeding he has six 7 ounce bottles a day but doesn't always finish them especially in this hot weather!! He has been practicing his chewing though so I think he may be ready for solids but I will wait another few weeks because I will do baby led weaning and he needs to be able to sit up properly for that. He can sit up but needs to be supported, otherwise he falls over.i think it's more to do with the muscle tone that they need to be able to sit up rather than being actually upright, I read the muscle tone helps with swallowing and not choking on solid foods. So much to think about!!

He has been rolling over but only get onto his side he has yet to go on his belly! he spends most of his time on the floor now as anywhere else would just be so dangerous!!

He is overdue his 4 month vaccinations but the poor pet has had a cough and a runny nose so I have held off until he is better I am dreading giving them to him again.

• Advertisement

ally_pally wrote: »
    I've noticed in the last couple of weeks though that my little one is much more able to get wind up on her own and often has only a tiny bit of wind or even none after feeds. Yours might be the same deh983.

The fussing from 3.30 onwards was a bit like what we went through when she was having the sleep regression. It's like she was almost waking after each sleep cycle and needed help to properly fall asleep. Usually it was the soother for her. But she could be tossing and turning for half an hour, spitting out her soother, immediately wanting it again. All while still asleep. Happened every couple of hours throughout the night. It was exhausting but it did pass after around ten days.

That's what I thought too about the wind but then this started the last two nights so it looks like it's the sleep regression (pray for me lol) we're going to try her tonight with no dream feed & see what happens. Fingers crossed she doesn't miss it although a 6 am start would not go down well with the 3 year old!! Ugh I seem to be second guessing myself on a lot of things. I thought the 2nd was supposed to be easier!!!

deh983 wrote:
    That's what I thought too about the wind but then this started the last two nights so it looks like it's the sleep regression (pray for me lol) we're going to try her tonight with no dream feed & see what happens. Fingers crossed she doesn't miss it although a 6 am start would not go down well with the 3 year old!! Ugh I seem to be second guessing myself on a lot of things. I thought the 2nd was supposed to be easier!!!

I'm second guessing myself all the time too and this is my third! All three are so different and I think I blanked out a lot of the hard times with the first two.

My baba is rolling since the beginning of the week so the busy times have started. She only wants to be down on floor and then flips over like a pancake until she gets stuck. Its wearing her out big time though so she's napping great during the day. My two year old though, not to be out done, spends time herself rolling around beside baba and then expects applause. They're too funny.

Anyone back to work soon? If I wasn't taking unpaid leave, I'd be back in 3 weeks! Time has just flown

Anyone back to work soon? If I wasn't taking unpaid leave, I'd be back in 3 weeks! Time has just flown

Tell me about it, this months pay is the last i get!!! Agghhh!!!!

Should be back next month but i am going to stay off till december which i know will come around fast!

How can i ever leave him!!?

Sleep regression is the pits!!! How long does this damn thing last.......... yawn

deh983 wrote:
    Sleep regression is the pits!!! How long does this damn thing last.......... yawn

Stay strong...it will pass. My baba has slept the night two nights in a row at 21 weeks.x

Stay strong...it will pass. My baba has slept the night two nights in a row at 21 weeks.x

21 weeks ugh we are just 18...... ah we'll get through it with lots of lucozade & chocolate!!!

Can't believe what I wrote just a few days ago about my little one fussing for her soother every few hours. We're right back in that phase again. She will NOT settle down to sleep in her cot anymore, after a few weeks of getting on great with it. She half falls asleep, starts rubbing her eyes, pulls out her soother and then immediately wants it again. I put the soother back in and we repeat the process. The last few nights she's only fallen asleep in her bouncer chair. She's also up around 3.30 fussing and again at 6. So I'm exhausted again. It passed before so I just have to keep remembering it will pass again. I get paranoid that I'm setting up really bad sleep habits. But sometimes you just have to do what works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

deh983 wrote: »

Ours started second week of May at 3.5 months... and he's still waking on average 5-6 times per night and showing no sign of letting up!!! I'm starting to think that this is just his new normal and that we will never get back to the 1 or 2 wake ups we had per night before all of this.

It's really really tough.

It's horrendous. She has woke 3 times already & only in bed an hour. Enough said.

• Advertisement

Hope you ladies had a better night last night and that you got some sleep. We took a few steps back last night so I'm here clutching my coffee hoping that the two great nights at weekend weren't a fluke.

Advertisement