Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

She finally fell asleep at 12:30 in our bed & slept till 7ish. We had tried to drop the dream feed at 11. Needless to say she'll be getting it back!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

deh983 wrote: »
    She finally fell asleep at 12:30 in our bed & slept till 7ish. We had tried to drop the dream feed at 11. Needless to say she'll be getting it back!!!

That's great that she went almost 7 hours though!

That's great that she went almost 7 hours though!

She normally goes to bed around 8 dream feeds at 11 & sleeps till 7/8 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Had a not so great night as well. She again refused to fall asleep in her cot so we put her to sleep in her bouncer chair and then transferred her to the cot. Dream feed around 11.30, woke at 4 and was pretty unsettled until around 6. She usually never has dirty nappies at night and usually only one per day. But she had two last night which obviously had her unsettled and upset. I don't know are we still dealing with the after effects of the rota virus vaccine or what is happening with her. She doesn't seem at all sick and is in great form throughout the day so I'm a bit puzzled by it.

She had a great nap this morning in her cot so I'm taking heart from that that she's not totally turned against the cot. Fingers crossed we all have a better night tonight.

We had the best night we've had in a few weeks. Went down at 9.30, woke at 1 and 3.30 for milk, then got up for the day at 5.

Roll on weaning in another months time. I'm hoping he might wake less then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

This cough is really effecting my wee lad its heartbreaking! Have tried vapo rub, nasal aspoirator, calpol plug in things, nothing seems to help him, hope baby coughs/colds dont last too long!

One book i found really useful for understanding babies sleep and how to get them to sleep all night is the lucy woulfe book, it explains the importance of sleep during the day to help sleep at night etc it might be worth a look for some of you, i am totally against the whole trying to fit your baby unto a timetable in a book like gina ford but seeing what they should be getting will kindo of help understands problems with sleep over all.

Hope i am not speaking too soon and we fall into a long regression, sleep is sooooo precious!!

Ally pally, the soother is our problem too and what you wrote about the taking it out and having to put it back in straight away cycle could have been written by me. He is still in the crib beside me so jts not much of an effort to put back in but he HAS to go to his cot soon (as soon as this cough/cold is gone) and i think it will become more of a problem then. I was hopkng that he would reject the soother with this blocked nose like i have read other babies did but he still wants it. Starting to wish we never used a soother but it does help calm him during the day.

It's so frustrating, isn't it greenttc? The soother definitely got us through some tough days but it can be such a hindrance at night.

Happy to say we had a much better night last night, just waking once for a feed around 4.30. It did take her a while to settle back down after that feed but otherwise we were pretty much back to normal. Now I just need to figure out how to get her to fall asleep in her cot again. She'll do it for naps during the day but not at bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

ally_pally wrote:
    Happy to say we had a much better night last night, just waking once for a feed around 4.30. It did take her a while to settle back down after that feed but otherwise we were pretty much back to normal. Now I just need to figure out how to get her to fall asleep in her cot again. She'll do it for naps during the day but not at bedtime.

Have you tried one of the wee comforters/comfort blankets? This worked a treat for my last baba and is working now for the new baba.

Must better night for us too thank god. Went back to her dream feed at 11 & all was well again.

I was going to try one of those comforters but was afraid she might bury her face in it as she has started to roll around and could be in her side or belly at any stage

• Advertisement

Have you tried one of the wee comforters/comfort blankets? This worked a treat for my last baba and is working now for the new baba.

I haven't actually tried that. She has a little comforter thing that she quite likes during the day. I'll try that tonight. Might keep her hands busy!

Is it just a little piece of material and are you suggesting to use it instead of a soother? How have you gotten your babies to become attached to that instead of a soother? I would try anything.

I have my wee man in his big cot for his nap for thee first time today, scared to look in the door to see if he is sleeping or jist looking around him, no crying anyway!

greenttc wrote:
    Is it just a little piece of material and are you suggesting to use it instead of a soother? How have you gotten your babies to become attached to that instead of a soother? I would try anything.

Oh its not instead of soother unfortunately, it's along with soother! My babas have both and although its incredibly frustrating when you're in and out all night putting in the soother again, it does pass. However, the comforter, I found, helps them drift off by themselves in the cot. My bigger girl rubs the ears on hers and her eyes literally start closing there and then. In the last few weeks, my new baba rubs the ears on hers to her face and she'll drift away in the cot. I'm sure it wouldn't work for all babies but its worth a shot.

I was never brave enough to try cold turkey on the soother in case it made things worse. I read so many stories online of people trying it and succeeding cold turkey but I was and am too scared to try it just in case. My oldest wouldn't take a soother at all as a baby and he was unsettled for two years at night.

Oh its not instead of soother unfortunately, it's along with soother! My babas have both and although its incredibly frustrating when you're in and out all night putting in the soother again, it does pass. However, the comforter, I found, helps them drift off by themselves in the cot. My bigger girl rubs the ears on hers and her eyes literally start closing there and then. In the last few weeks, my new baba rubs the ears on hers to her face and she'll drift away in the cot. I'm sure it wouldn't work for all babies but its worth a shot.

I was never brave enough to try cold turkey on the soother in case it made things worse. I read so many stories online of people trying it and succeeding cold turkey but I was and am too scared to try it just in case. My oldest wouldn't take a soother at all as a baby and he was unsettled for two years at night.

Oh no, so you found your oldest worse without the soother!

The lucy woulfe book said to go cold turkey and the baby would be used to it within 2/3 nights, she said to start with nighttime too. I keep saying "tonight is the night" but never have the heart to go through with it! Well I also don't think having a cold and losing a soother at the same time would be fair and I am also thinking moving room away from me and losing it could be traumatice too. So now its a desision, move room or lose soother first....not sure what to do! Supposedly I spat mine out at 6 months and my own mother thinks he may do the same and just wait and see. But my brother ended up with his till he was three!!!!

Tangobelle, I could kiss you! My girl fell asleep in her cot for the first time in a week and I'm putting it down to having her little rabbit comforter in with her. She'd rub her face into it and that completely stopped her from rubbing her eyes and face with her hands and waking herself up. She's now sound asleep and will hopefully stay that way.

greenttc wrote:
    Oh no, so you found your oldest worse without the soother!

He was the most unsettled of the three for sure but we'll never know if it was down to not having a dodo.
    greenttc wrote:
    The lucy woulfe book said to go cold turkey and the baby would be used to it within 2/3 nights, she said to start with nighttime too. I keep saying "tonight is the night" but never have the heart to go through with it! Well I also don't think having a cold and losing a soother at the same time would be fair and I am also thinking moving room away from me and losing it could be traumatice too. So now its a desision, move room or lose soother first....not sure what to do! Supposedly I spat mine out at 6 months and my own mother thinks he may do the same and just wait and see. But my brother ended up with his till he was three!!!!

Its hard to know what to do. Everyone has their own theories and opinions and we end up confused. My 2 year old only gets hers at night and nap times but I honestly don't know how we'll get it off her. She loves it so much and waits hard to get it every night. I do wish I'd tried to get it off her long before new baba came but it'd be cruel now to take it away when her baby sister gets it. Maybe Santa will take it at Christmas!

You could maybe try a night or two with your baba in own room first to see if it makes a difference?

ally_pally wrote:
    Tangobelle, I could kiss you! My girl fell asleep in her cot for the first time in a week and I'm putting it down to having her little rabbit comforter in with her. She'd rub her face into it and that completely stopped her from rubbing her eyes and face with her hands and waking herself up. She's now sound asleep and will hopefully stay that way.

So glad to hear it and hope that she (and you) has a nice sleep tonight. I think it's amazing that a wee bit of a soft feel can be so comforting to them. Mine has just taken to a pink bunny that we got as a gift so I'll be searching now for a second to have as backup! Let us know how she goes.

Well we had a great night. Gave her a dream feed around 10.30 and she slept until 5, fed her again and she slept until 9! Often after her early morning / middle of the night feed she can take a while to settle back to sleep. She was wide awake but very happy in her cot so I decided to leave her be and head into her if she started to grumble. So I went back to bed and next thing I know it's 9am! She had settled herself back to sleep.

I need to remember nights like that are possible when we're going through a bad phase. There'll be bad phases again, tonight could be a disaster. But there'll be plenty of good nights and good phases too.

That's brilliant ally! Hopefully, she'll do the same tonight.

We're away for a few days so am anticipating a few unsettled nights with babs out of her comfort zone in a new cot and with us back in the room with her. Fingers crossed it's not too bad though

Hope it all goes well for you Tangobelle. Our girl has been absolutely fine the couple of times we've gone away. Babas certainly like to keep us on our toes! They're fine when we're expecting them to be out of sorts and are randomly unsettled on completely normal days and nights!

• Advertisement

Sleep still awful over here. What I would give for even 3 hours uninterrupted sleep!!!!

Sleep still awful over here. What I would give for even 3 hours uninterrupted sleep!!!!

Ah you poor thing caitriona. Hopefully he'll settle for you soon. It's so unbelievably tough when you can't get a good stretch of sleep...as tough as though first few weeks after coming out of hospital. Maybe weaning will help when the time is right for you to start.x

Ah you poor thing caitriona. Hopefully he'll settle for you soon. It's so unbelievably tough when you can't get a good stretch of sleep...as tough as though first few weeks after coming out of hospital. Maybe weaning will help when the time is right for you to start.x

It's been going on since the second week of May! Not sure I can put it down to just a phase now. So annoying because he was down to only waking once or twice a night since he was 10 weeks old... he hits 15 weeks and it all goes to sh1te! I think this is just his new normal. I think I've now conceded defeat in my battle against cosleeping... I know this is going to make life harder too as we want to transition him to his own room in August but dear God, id do anything for some sleep!!!

Yeah I'm praying for an improvement once weaning starts. He's EBF so my plan was to wait until he's six months as per recommendations.... but he is now
    SO interested in food that I almost feel like I'm being cruel to him by denying him it?! He was 5 months on Monday. Has anyone else started weaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My 2 year old only gets hers at night and nap times but I honestly don't know how we'll get it off her. She loves it so much and waits hard to get it every night. I do wish I'd tried to get it off her long before new baba came but it'd be cruel now to take it away when her baby sister gets it. Maybe Santa will take it at Christmas!

I'm in the same boat, Tangobelle, my two year old LOVES her dodo. I'm limiting it to nap time and bedtime only (Daddy caves in though) and I'm still hearing every five minutes of the day "I want my dodo, I just want a little suck":P:P I have thought of giving it to Santa too but am afraid it'll make her hate Santy lol! I casually mentioned that we might give it to him for the elves at Christmas and she had a right strop over it. I'm hoping in time that she might grow out of wanting it, but I'm not holding my breath either!

It's been going on since the second week of May! Not sure I can put it down to just a phase now. So annoying because he was down to only waking once or twice a night since he was 10 weeks old... he hits 15 weeks and it all goes to sh1te! I think this is just his new normal. I think I've now conceded defeat in my battle against cosleeping... I know this is going to make life harder too as we want to transition him to his own room in August but dear God, id do anything for some sleep!!!

I don't want to play devil's advocate but maybe he'd sleep better in his own room? My second baby went through a bad spell around the four/five month mark. We tried moving her out into her own room and the improvement was instant. I think we were annoying her at night turning etc. It mightn't be the answer but it might be worth a try? Hope I'm not overstepping the mark suggesting it.
    Yeah I'm praying for an improvement once weaning starts. He's EBF so my plan was to wait until he's six months as per recommendations.... but he is now SO interested in food that I almost feel like I'm being cruel to him by denying him it?! He was 5 months on Monday. Has anyone else started weaning?

My babs is five months too (on Monday too incidentally)...she started solids three weeks ago and is loving it. You trust your own instincts there I suppose. My mother constantly tells me that we were all weaned at 3 months (but she also tells me all of us slept the night at 6 weeks, which, after having three of my own, I seriously doubt), and when I had my first (15 years ago), the recommendation was 4 months. Trust your gut and if you're happier to wait until the 6 months do it. You're providing all he needs to him.

CheerLouth wrote:
    I'm in the same boat, Tangobelle, my two year old LOVES her dodo. I'm limiting it to nap time and bedtime only (Daddy caves in though) and I'm still hearing every five minutes of the day "I want my dodo, I just want a little suck" I have thought of giving it to Santa too but am afraid it'll make her hate Santy lol! I casually mentioned that we might give it to him for the elves at Christmas and she had a right strop over it. I'm hoping in time that she might grow out of wanting it, but I'm not holding my breath either!

I'm usually the one caving in! Daddy holds strong in our house. I keep telling myself that there are no adults going around with dodos so she will grow out of it eventually! Ah its not easy when they get soooo much comfort out of it and I still feel guilty for bringing the imposter baby into her life.

I'm usually the one caving in! Daddy holds strong in our house. I keep telling myself that there are no adults going around with dodos so she will grow out of it eventually! Ah its not easy when they get soooo much comfort out of it and I still feel guilty for bringing the imposter baby into her life.

Our now 3 year old LOVED his. Wouldn't let it out if his sight & I never tried to take it from him especially when there was a baby arriving who would probably have one. Then in January I think he bit a hole in it & it 'didn't work anymore'. we didn't have a spare and he just gave it up no problem at all. Looked for it the odd time if tired/upset but that's it. So if you really wanted to try get rid you could cut a little hole in one & see what happens.
    If it's something that gives them comfort & isn't affecting their speech/teeth then I don't see the harm. As you say I don't see any 27 year olds with them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Yeah I'm praying for an improvement once weaning starts. He's EBF so my plan was to wait until he's six months as per recommendations.... but he is now SO interested in food that I almost feel like I'm being cruel to him by denying him it?! He was 5 months on Monday. Has anyone else started weaning?

Mine is 20 weeks since Wednesday and I started her on Sunshine Orange porridge 2 weeks ago. She was doing a lot of chewing on us and her hands and watching forks, spoons and mugs that went to our mouths.
    She's doing really well. First few days we had to pop in the dummy to encourage her to swallow but she was already opening the mouth for the spoon after a couple of days. This week she doesn't need the dummy, she's swallowing away by herself. She's turning 5 months tomorrow week and our local coffee shop is the creator of Pip and Pear so I'll treat her to lunch in there next Saturday :D

Oh I feel a bit behind with the weaning! But like you all say its on the babies own time and when I feel itts right. My little lad is 20 and a half weeks and stares at me eating and chews etc however I am seriously consodering baby led weaning and that is supposed to start no earlier than 26weeks, seems a long time away right now!!!
    My reasoning for doing that is I am a very fussy eater, I eat all fruit and veg but but cant eat meat or fish etc, never could. It took me years to eat veg too. It is said that baby led creates more adventurous eaters and babies love food more so I am hoping it works out like that, ill be giving him everything I dont like too in hopes that he likes it!!

Has anyone tried baby led and started before 26 weeks? I am itching to just get started but am worried about choking especially when he cant quite sit upright fully yet.

Its terrible to be wishing his few weeks away and rushing it, I should just enjoy how it is right now!

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote: »
    Oh I feel a bit behind with the weaning! But like you all say its on the babies own time and when I feel itts right. My little lad is 20 and a half weeks and stares at me eating and chews etc however I am seriously consodering baby led weaning and that is supposed to start no earlier than 26weeks, seems a long time away right now!!!
    My reasoning for doing that is I am a very fussy eater, I eat all fruit and veg but but cant eat meat or fish etc, never could. It took me years to eat veg too. It is said that baby led creates more adventurous eaters and babies love food more so I am hoping it works out like that, ill be giving him everything I dont like too in hopes that he likes it!!

Has anyone tried baby led and started before 26 weeks? I am itching to just get started but am worried about choking especially when he cant quite sit upright fully yet.

Its terrible to be wishing his few weeks away and rushing it, I should just enjoy how it is right now!

I'm also interested in BLW but don't know much about it. Where have you been reading up on it? I keep meaning to, but then life gets in the way! It's mad how quickly the day goes.

I'm back to work at the end of July too.... waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Advertisement