Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

greenttc wrote:
    I have been trying this baby led weaning, now you ate not really supposed to start till 26 weeks but he started grabbing my food so I went ahead and started, all went well with carrott first theb. Cauliflower but he is now just not eating anything, he just mushes it all up and cries if he gets a taste of anything in his mouth. I even tried spoon feeding him baby rice but he wasnt having any of it! He hates me putting anything in his mouth! It feels like he will never eat, do all your babies just gobble up whatever you give them? I should really just let him get there in his own time I know!

Maybe give him a bit longer, til he shows an interest again. I've just been giving mine sunshine orange and different flavour jars. She lunges open mouthed at the spoon and then growls at me if I take too long getting the next spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

We have had horrible few days & nights. Catnaps are back & lost count of amount of times awake at night. When will this ever end??
    Had given her few spoons of sunshine orange this morning and she's grunting groaning & whinging ever since. Don't think it agreed with her at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Greenttc, maybe wait a few days before trying again. He could be really interested in some grub again in a couple of days. Babies seem to go through such phases and be moody little creatures!

I started my girl on some baby rice which she loves. Going to start on puréed veg tomorrow and hope she enjoys that just as much.

Still no teeth here and she had a tough old day with teething today. Really hoping we see some pearly whites soon but I know it could be going on for weeks yet. She hates her cot again - won't nap or fall asleep in it. It was a short phase last time so hoping it'll be the same again this time and she'll be back falling asleep in it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Green, Ike the others have said he just needs a bit more time. Sounds like you've an independent wee fella there who knows his own mind!

My wee man is flying away on the solids. Baby-led wasn't really his style (although he does love having a bit of bread in each hand and shovelling it into his mouth), but he loves mashed-up veggies and fruits. Big fan of spuds and sweet potato. Not so keen on the porridge but we are keeping at it for breakfast.

Sleep is still abominable. Trying to break the cycle of so much boobing though as he feeds plenty in the day and is having solids three times a day, so he can't be hungry every hour for most of the night! So starting tonight I've only been allowing him to feed every 2.5 hours, and for other wakeups I'm walking him around and offering him the dodey (which he's never really taken to). But I've been up more than two hours with him now, it's nearly 5am, and he's on the boob again. I've only managed maybe 2.5 hours broken sleep all night so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I think you are all right, he just needs time, I keep giving put to myself about rushing him, I thinking of my own excitement to see him "do the next thing developmentally" but he should just have me butt out and let him do stuff when he is ready!

Caitriona, poor you up at this time posting ( I am up cause I cant sleep while everyone else sleeps). It must be so frustrating. What about the highly controversial letting him cry it out? You seem to have tried everything else. I think it is much harder to do than it sounds though. Soothers are so great and were useful for me when my wee man just wanted to be on the boob the whole time for comfort. But I wish every day that he didnt have it cause it is such a pain when he spits/pulls it out constantly and cries to have it put it back in. I usually have to get up several times a night for it but I am so so lucky that it is just, get up,put it in, back to bed straight away. That probably sounds heavenly to you right now though! Surely your baby will settle soon though, it cant go on forever.

• Advertisement

Meant to say also, there are an awful lot of teeth on this thread!!! Mine has two that have been just below the surface since he was at least two months but still have not emerged!

Catriona I feel for you. We just had the most horrendous night. I think I saw every hour. I just cannot figure her out. We've tried everything at this stage. Is it too early for sleep training? It worked wonders for our first but he was a lot older (I think) when we did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Babies are probably going through the 4-6 month sleep regression.

http://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/4-month-sleep-regression/

Yes it's far too young for sleep training.

No sign of any teeth here at all! He doesn't even seem to be teething yet. My mum said we all got ours late so he's probably taking after me... which would be a turn-up for the books as he's taken literally everything else after his dad. I'm afraid my piss poor genetics didn't get a look-in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm a bit ahead of you all but sleep is much improved here except for teething disturbances. They will sleep when ready just keep going. I have one twin still not taking in much food but I'm happy to just let him play with it for now. Food before one is just for fun! The other fellow is eating loads! We really turned a corner at six months id say. They are seven months now 😄

• Advertisement

Gave my wee one her first taste of veg today - butternut squash - and she practically inhaled it she loved it so much. Hoping that continues!

Oh butternut squash would be a good one, must try that! So exciting seeing them eat and tasting new flavours!

greenttc wrote:
    So exciting seeing them eat and tasting new flavours!

We were out for lunch on Saturday so ordered her Pip&Pear's Spiced Apple and Pear. Came heated in a big enough bowl so I thought I'd be bringing home leftovers. She gobbled the lot! I'd say if she could have, she would have licked the bowl!! It's really lovely, like a stewed apple with a kick of cinnamon.

smaoifs wrote: »
    We were out for lunch on Saturday so ordered her Pip&Pear's Spiced Apple and Pear. Came heated in a big enough bowl so I thought I'd be bringing home leftovers. She gobbled the lot! I'd say if she could have, she would have licked the bowl!! It's really lovely, like a stewed apple with a kick of cinnamon.

Nyom, that does sound tasty!! Did you go to the restaurant that you said was run by the pip and pear creators? Or was it someone else that was going there? Where is it, may be worth a trip!

I have a craving for stewed apple now despite the heat....maybe over some icecream!!

Made some eggy bread for my wee man today and he looooved it, he hasnt eaten anything in ages but i think i found something he likes! Not sure he swallowed much cause alot came back out of his mouth after a good chew but he certainly liked the taste! He gagged once which was a little scary but i was prepared and knew not to touch him and let him work it out of his mouth himelf which he did, phew!

They love the fruity stuff don't they? What is this pip and pears you speak of? Never heard of a place where you can order lunch for the baba.

My wee man isn't too keen on the old porridge, but goes absolutely mad for it when I mash a banana into it. He has a rash on his chin this last ages, but it got a lot worse after I gave him egg so I'm going to avoid that for another little while. They say eggs and other potential allergens like gluten, nuts etc shouldn't be given earlier than six months anyway.

We actually had a decent enough night last night. He went down at 7, awake at 9.30 for a feed, then slept for a whopper 5 and a half hours and had another feed at 3, and then he was up for the day at 5.30.

There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to it and tonight he could be up every hour again, but I'll take the good nights when I get them! My new strategy is not to keep giving him the boob just because he's awake - so if it's more than two and a half hours or so since he's ate, I'll left him eat but if it's only an hour then I know he can't be hungry so he's not getting it!!! Instead I'll just walk him around (although this strategy had us up from 2 to 5.30am the night before last!). And when he does fall asleep on the boob or in my arms, I'm trying to wake him up a little so I'm putting him down drowsy rather than asleep.

That's a great improvement Catriona, long may it last!

Bedtime has been a bit of a battle here for the last week or so. Actually her nap times have gone to pot as well but bedtimes are really tough these days. I'm putting it down to teething.

Can I ask how long it takes for everyone else to settle their babas down for the night? A good night here is 30 minutes until she's fully asleep. A bad night can be over an hour (and sometimes like tonight that's only if she's rocked to sleep first in her bouncer chair). I know every baby is different and will behave differently at different times. But I'm still nosey!! :-p

ally_pally wrote: »
    That's a great improvement Catriona, long may it last!

Bedtime has been a bit of a battle here for the last week or so. Actually her nap times have gone to pot as well but bedtimes are really tough these days. I'm putting it down to teething.

Can I ask how long it takes for everyone else to settle their babas down for the night? A good night here is 30 minutes until she's fully asleep. A bad night can be over an hour (and sometimes like tonight that's only if she's rocked to sleep first in her bouncer chair). I know every baby is different and will behave differently at different times. But I'm still nosey!! :-p

The boob is a magical tool when it comes to getting him to sleep. He will be fasto within 10-15 mins of starting a feed usually. If my husband is putting him down, it can take 10 mins or it might never happen! But a feed is part of our bedtime routine now so it's been weeks since my husband put him down

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

ally_pally wrote:

Our routine is supper, bath and bottle. Then she will throw herself back in my arms and I'll pop dodo and rub her face with comforter and let her chill out for five minutes or so in my arms. Then upstairs into the cot and she usually drifts off herself shortly after. If she appears to brighten up when we put her down, the mobile goes on and that usually works too. She's actually very easy to put to sleep for the night but staying asleep is the hard bit!

We had 4 great nights in a row and we were so excited that maybe we'd turned the corner but last night was another hourly wakening. I think she's teething. She woke at 1 with a massive poonami and had to be stripped! Still no sign of any teeth popping up yet though.

Must look for this pip and pear too. My baba is loving her feeds. Yesterday, I was a little worse for wear after a well deserved night out on Saturday and had nothing prepared for her dinner so I gave her a little jar instead of the usual purees. She bloody loved it...more than what I'd been making for her! Must be my cooking!

That's really interesting, thanks guys. I kind of figured we were the exception here all right. Once she falls asleep she generally stays down which is great. Until around 4. For the last couple of weeks, bar a few good nights, she's woken at 4 and stayed awake until 6ish. It's so tough. You feel like you're getting up with her in the middle of the night and it's morning by the time I get to go back to bed. Time to start chanting my "It's just a phase" mantra!!

At night we put into sleeping bag and usually rock & sing song. Put down drowsy & will usually nod off.
    Has anyone managed to crack the short naps yet?? I'm losing my mind with them at this stage. She goes asleep by herself with no crying just music & soother. She's up since 7 & is already awake from morning nap & not due feed till 11:30. We have to go away today & I know I'm leaving a tired cranky baby to be minded. What is everyone's awake time between naps?

• Advertisement

I try and leave no longer than 2 hours between naps as if we do she'll be an overtired demon before too long. She's really been fighting naps these last few days so I've resorted to bringing her out in the pram and wheeling her around to try and get her to sleep a few times. We used to have two short naps - one in the morning and late afternoon and one long one in the middle of the day. Yesterday ended up being four half-hour naps. Not ideal, less than I'd like her to be having but better than a lot of days recently.

I've tried days where we go nowhere and I'm focused just on having her nap. And we've had days where we're out and about, much more free and easy. The end result has been the same. She's teething like mad and she's not herself so I'm putting it down to that.

We're the same. Yesterday she had 2 longish ones morning & afternoon and today she's awake after 45 mins. This has been going on for months now so I can't put it down to teething anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

deh983 wrote:
    At night we put into sleeping bag and usually rock & sing song. Put down drowsy & will usually nod off. Has anyone managed to crack the short naps yet?? I'm losing my mind with them at this stage. She goes asleep by herself with no crying just music & soother. She's up since 7 & is already awake from morning nap & not due feed till 11:30. We have to go away today & I know I'm leaving a tired cranky baby to be minded. What is everyone's awake time between naps?

Two hours max awake time here too. The short naps were sorted here about a month ago. However, I had started sitting in living room with her during nap time and as soon as she started stirring after half hour, 40 mins, I was over like a ninja to stick dummy back in and give her the comforter. It eventually seemed to work and she has two 1.5-2 hour naps a day and one short evening nap.

We had another bad night last night too but I'm blaming the heat. I'm always blaming something! "It's just a phase" is being chanted here too as well as "it'll pass, it'll pass"! So hard. Sunshine today helps though!

For us he wakes at aboout 5.45 for a bottle and a nappy change then back to bed till 7.30. Next bottle is about 9.45 and then down for an hour (if we are lucky)! Then from about 11 to 1 i get out of the house for a walk to do shopping but have to be back for 12.30 for another feed at around 12.45 then into his cot for 1 untill 3.30/4. He always wakes up halfway though and like tango i am there ready to put the soother back in and get him back to sleep, there is often crying during this part but he is crying cause he is still tired so he kinda cries himslef to sleep with me having to put his soother back in several times. Then awake from four when he has a bottle and then bedtime is about 6.30. We are so lucky then cause he will sleep the whole night except for a few times a night we have to get up and put his soother in but nothing more than that!

He has a bottle before every sleep which is probably a bad sleep association but it is how it is! And he is drowsy going into his cot too, i too, i hate putting him in asleep cause i feel like he wont learn how to go to sleep himself if i do that!

This part is almost harder than the newborn stage isnt it, i mean you are more restricted cause he likes to sleep in his cot and wont really seep in his pram anymore, lunch dates out are a thing of the past!

greenttc wrote:
    Nyom, that does sound tasty!! Did you go to the restaurant that you said was run by the pip and pear creators? Or was it someone else that was going there? Where is it, may be worth a trip!

They love the fruity stuff don't they? What is this pip and pears you speak of? Never heard of a place where you can order lunch for the baba.

Yes, that was me. The restaurant is Number 9 in Waterford. It is super family friendly. Play room and tons of high chairs. They have a separate kids menu which is broken up into the Pip&Pear stuff for the different stages and then a junior menu for older kids. Staff are great, my 15 month old niece has favourite staff that she flirts with, tries to catch their eye.

Sleep for us is going good (I'll jinx myself now). She has her bedtime bottle and depending how tired she is will either be put down awake or asleep. She usually doesn't stir til after 6. I'm so relieved that she can put herself to sleep, I give her a kiss and tell her I love her and I'm just downstairs if she needs me. Sounds mad but I'm in the habit of talking to her the whole time now. When I change her nappy I count opening the sticky and then the nappy and exclaim "just wet!" or "pee-you" for a dirty one. She cracks herself up :D

smaoifs wrote: »
    Sounds mad but I'm in the habit of talking to her the whole time now. When I change her nappy I count opening the sticky and then the nappy and exclaim "just wet!" or "pee-you" for a dirty one. She cracks herself up :D

I am EXACTLY the same! Always talking away and saying "oh just a wet one!" Or if it is a dirty one i have a song i made up called "poopy man"....now that is a little sad! But he loves it. I talk away and describe every little thing i am doing, but Sure who else is there to talk to all day anyway!

Good to know about that restaurant, its a bit of a trek for us to get to but i will definitely keep it in mind if i am ever down that part of the country, it sounds brilliant, theres a business idea for someone in dublin!!!

Our little one is upstairs for naps and by the time I hear her & get there she's wide awake all smiles!! I think I'll have to try it though coz she's a bag of cats by the evening some days. So hard when the 3 year old is around and we're outside especially in this weather. When she wakes his little face drops as he knows our time is over. :( Maybe I'm expecting too much of her. I had started her on a few tastes but she didn't seem interested so I stopped. Might be time to try then again even though I know that's not guaranteed to make her sleep.

Solids didn't help much with night time sleep over here, but they have extended his naps. He was napping anywhere between 10 and 40 mins for a couple of months. Now his naps are still pretty variable and I can never predict them, but they vary from 40 mins up to about 2 hours now. About 3 naps per day.

• Advertisement

deh983 wrote: »
    Our little one is upstairs for naps and by the time I hear her & get there she's wide awake all smiles!! I think I'll have to try it though coz she's a bag of cats by the evening some days. So hard when the 3 year old is around and we're outside especially in this weather. When she wakes his little face drops as he knows our time is over. :( Maybe I'm expecting too much of her. I had started her on a few tastes but she didn't seem interested so I stopped. Might be time to try then again even though I know that's not guaranteed to make her sleep.

Do you use a monitor deh? I use the angel care one (although i havent installed the mat part) the monitor is so sensitive that i can almost hear him starting to wake, it just sounds like static on the monitor, it obviously turns on when he starts moving a bit, so as soon as i hear that i am up the stairs, i dont wait to hear a cry. The monitor is portable too, i bring it out to the garden wiTh me, its beside me right now! Your poor wee toddler, maybe you could make a game of it or something?

Advertisement