Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

We also took the baba for his first paddle in the sea today. AND I just about squeezed in to my pre-pregnancy jeans (still have about a stone to lose though). Today was a good day! Hope you've all been out enjoying the nice weather. I start back to work next weekend and will be working most weekends going forward, so we made the most of it!

In the sea!!! Brilliant, just feet or all in? My wee lad has done swimming lessons just the baby lessons and he loves it, he wears a little wetsuit to keep warm and i was so tempted to bring him into the sea when it was roasting a few weeks ago there but i was too scared it would be too cold, how did you get on??

Back to work, agh! Good that the sleeping has improved in time for that!

Baby led weaning is going so well now with my wee man, he ears everything!! Like he really gobbles stuff up and screams if it is all gone (or dropped on the floor) he loves pasta, chicken, bread and peanut butter, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, all veg really, eating fruit for him is like eating the most amazing thing ever, strawberries are food from heaven for him, he shakes with the excitement of getting one! Would totally recommend blw for anyone thinking about it, its just amazing watching him shove stuff into his mouth and eating it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I agree it's brilliant. My twin 2 only catching onnow but that's the whole idea I guess with baby led. They start when they are ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

greenttc wrote: »
    In the sea!!! Brilliant, just feet or all in? My wee lad has done swimming lessons just the baby lessons and he loves it, he wears a little wetsuit to keep warm and i was so tempted to bring him into the sea when it was roasting a few weeks ago there but i was too scared it would be too cold, how did you get on??

Back to work, agh! Good that the sleeping has improved in time for that!

We go to swimming classes too! Great fun. Nope we didn't plan it really so just took off his booties and rolled his trousers up and went for a paddle. He liked jumping up and down against the sand and making the water splash. He doesn't splash in the pool - he spends the whole lesson just staring wide-eyed all around him - but then I suppose his feet don't touch the floor of the pool like they did the sand.

Your BLW adventure sounds great! He will be piling on the pounds then! My boy still doesn't really get the BLW so I'm just mashing stuff up and feeding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

ally_pally wrote: »
    I'm delighted for you Catriona. 5.5 hours is a great stretch, long may it last!

Had a fairly unsettled few nights here. She'll stay asleep but be fussing and grumbling badly in her sleep. Settle her back down, head back to bed and the process starts again in 15 minutes. I'm wrecked today!

Our little one does the exact same thing. Usually from about 4:30. Not awake and will settle back for a while and then start again. Our toddler was the same & I don't think anything stopped it. He just grew out of it. So frustrating as other than that she goes down at 8/8:30 and gets up at 7/7:30 but I'm up so many times I'm exhausted still. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

We slept the night! From 9 pm until 8 am, though I got up at 7 am as I'd slept enough and had a glorious uninterrupted coffee! Can't believe it. Probably a fluke but she's capable of it!
    greenttc wrote:
    Baby led weaning is going so well now with my wee man, he ears everything!! Like he really gobbles stuff up and screams if it is all gone (or dropped on the floor) he loves pasta, chicken, bread and peanut butter, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, all veg really, eating fruit for him is like eating the most amazing thing ever, strawberries are food from heaven for him, he shakes with the excitement of getting one! Would totally recommend blw for anyone thinking about it, its just amazing watching him shove stuff into his mouth and eating it!

Do you give the strawberries raw? I bought a punnet there now to try on babs but not sure if I should stew them first?
    We also took the baba for his first paddle in the sea today. AND I just about squeezed in to my pre-pregnancy jeans (still have about a stone to lose though). Today was a good day! Hope you've all been out enjoying the nice weather. I start back to work next weekend and will be working most weekends going forward, so we made the most of it!

I did that yesterday too and she loved the sand and the sea on her toes. Probably what wore her out! I'm also nearlt in my pre-pregnancy jeans, but not in a good way. I always lose weight in pregnancy but sadly the weight has crept on since my appetite returned. Slimming world will be beckoning soon

Do you give the strawberries raw? I bought a punnet there now to try on babs but not sure if I should stew them first?
    Yes they are raw, he gets all his food the same way we would eat it! I just cut the strawberries up a bit so he can hold it in his hand and then he shoves it into his mouth and sucks away!same with oranges and peaches and pears, I give him skins on peaches etc too and he just eats the flesh and spits out the skin, it really is amazing!!!

Veggies are all cooked too, but not cooked too soft otherwise they would fall apart in his hands so he picks up a whole brocolli tree and just bites away at it, I know he is eating it xause I see it come out the other end the next morning. He does gag sometimes when he puts things in too far but again it is amazing to see him work the food he gags on more forward in his mouth and then he spits it out, he has never not been able to get something out, scary the first few times and hard to not help him but helping him could lead to choking as you are interfering with his own process and he does great at it!definitely would highly recommend it!!!

I am with you with the jeans tango, I lost weight when pregnant and was almost a stone and a half below pre pregnancy weight after I gave birth. But just in the last few weeks it is all back on! Thought I was a weirdo as I am opposite to normal mothers so good to hear you are similar!!

greenttc wrote:
    I am with you with the jeans tango, I lost weight when pregnant and was almost a stone and a half below pre pregnancy weight after I gave birth. But just in the last few weeks it is all back on! Thought I was a weirdo as I am opposite to normal mothers so good to hear you are similar!!

Haha, yeah I know! I always lost weight during pregnancy...could do with being perma-pregnant for figure purposes alone. My appetite was tiny during all three pregnancies but sadly my appetite returned with a vengeance after each of them and I've ALWAYS got time to eat!

Must try the strawberries now to see how she gets on. I'd always waited until they were older to give them so that's really interesting

So completely out of the blue, he slept just shy of 8 hours last night, and then took a two hour nap this morning. What the hell?!?!?!

It's either the sea air from being at the beach Saturday and Sunday, or maybe he has got a bit better at self-soothing (he has started just occasionally to put himself to sleep). Hoping it's the latter and to get more of this!

Tangobelle, your little lady had a mammoth sleep! I hope it continues for you too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

greenttc wrote:

I was the same! Had dropped from a size 16 to a 14 with Slimming World in the 4 months before I found out I was pregnant. Was careful of what I ate during pregnancy, especially with the GD. Maternity clothes were hanging off me going home from the hospital so went shopping when she was a week old and fitted into size 12 :D I haven't fitted into a size 12 since I was 20 (nearly 35 now).
    Keeping it off so far, plenty of walks and minding what I'm eating and drinking.

Oh man I'm still a stone and a half overweight. It's going down but it's very slow.

My twin one only woke once last night. And twin two woke at least every hour. I gave him to husband at 5am :D every night is different these days. Last week it was the other way around.

fits wrote: »
    Oh man I'm still a stone and a half overweight. It's going down but it's very slow.

My twin one only woke once last night. And twin two woke at least every hour. I gave him to husband at 5am :D every night is different these days. Last week it was the other way around.

For the 200th time, I'm sitting here in awe of twin mamas like you, fits! Do you and hubby take a twin each at night, or how does it work?

Also, a stone and a half seven months after having twins is nothing to feel bad about!

No I bedshare with both of them unless something comes up. Husband sleeps in other bedroom which I plan to move to eventually. I try not to disturb him before 5am or on a work night unless I have to. It's not what I planned initially but we definitely all get most sleep this way. If I were getting out of bed to resettle I'd be knackered. I actually quite like it now and can't relax as easily when they are in their cots at the start of the night.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/how-to-train-your-baby-and-yourself-to-sleep-better-1.3155056#.WXZTk6X2a6Y.mailto

Just read this, some intersting bits in it

It is has some tips on getting a baby to sleep through the night but the part that i thought was most interesting is that 5/6 hours straight is as much as you can expect of babies the same age as ours. Might be of comfort to some of you.

She also doesnt recommend soothers which is my problem

Two nights in a row! 9 pm to 8 am! I went in once around 3 am to retrieve the dodo but that's it. I just realised though that her 6 month jabs are next week so any settling signs she's showing will be undone next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Tangobelle, teach me your ways!! :-D Delighted for you... and just a tiny bit jealous!

Had a very unsettled night last night. She woke up after her dream feed which is so unlike her. She wasn't at all upset but was wide awake and absolutely ready to play. After two hours in an out to her room I gave up and took her into bed with me in the spare room where we actually both had a decent nights sleep. She's just started her latest leap according to the Wonder Weeks app so I'm putting the sleep disturbance down to that.

I think this thread has jinxed me!!!! After having a baby who has slept throught the night for the past thirteen weeks i had a "wake evey hour on the hour" baby last night!!! What the hell happened!? Now, none of you will feel sorry for me and i cant feel sorry for myslef when you have all been going through it for weeks but it was some shock last night! Hope it was a once off, i had gotten used to my night time sleeps!

We had great fun with porridge and peanut butter this morning, i have planned home made meat balls for dinner tonight with tomato sauce, messy day but great fun!!!

Same here with meatballs. Must get up off my ass and do it!

My baba is 6 months old today! Can't believe how fast the time has gone. She is such a happy busy little thing and the personality starting to shine through.

• Advertisement

My baba is 6 months old today! Can't believe how fast the time has gone. She is such a happy busy little thing and the personality starting to shine through.

Tell me tango, how many weeks are you considering six months, i am confused by it all, my wee man could be six months too cause he is 24 weeks but then am i supposed to wait until he is 26 weeks cause that is half a year and therefore six months or should i be waiting for the day he was born every month eg the 5th of every month, i just cant get my head around it!!!

It is incrediable how fast they are growing though, where has the tiny baba gone?? Time is going far too fast!!!

greenttc wrote:
    Tell me tango, how many weeks are you considering six months, i am confused by it all, my wee man could be six months too cause he is 24 weeks but then am i supposed to wait until he is 26 weeks cause that is half a year and therefore six months or should i be waiting for the day he was born every month eg the 5th of every month, i just cant get my head around it!!!

I know, its so confusing! I'm sticking to good old calendar months... She was born on 26th January and today's the 26th July. I think she's 26 weeks tomorrow though, but I lost count of weeks around week 18! Its months from here on in.

I know, its so confusing! I'm sticking to good old calendar months... She was born on 26th January and today's the 26th July. I think she's 26 weeks tomorrow though, but I lost count of weeks around week 18! Its months from here on in.

I think six months is a good time to make the move to counting dates! Your right, Weeks is too hard to keep up with now!

Hey there birthday twin... my boy is six months today too!
    He is 7.38kg which makes him 27th percentile but he's very long. He's sitting up now and sleep has improved a little... up 2-3 times a night on average now. I take a photo of him every Thursday and today I made a slideshow of them all to see how he has grown. It's pretty amazing!

I'm back to work on Saturday arrrrggghhhh!

Feeling quite proud of myself today as we have hit our goal of six months breastfeeding. At times I really didn't think we would get there as it was very hard, but here we are. Onto the next six months!

Hey there birthday twin... my boy is six months today too! He is 7.38kg which makes him 27th percentile but he's very long. He's sitting up now and sleep has improved a little... up 2-3 times a night on average now. I take a photo of him every Thursday and today I made a slideshow of them all to see how he has grown. It's pretty amazing!

Hey there birthday twin... my boy is six months today too! He is 7.38kg which makes him 27th percentile but he's very long. He's sitting up now and sleep has improved a little... up 2-3 times a night on average now. I take a photo of him every Thursday and today I made a slideshow of them all to see how he has grown. It's pretty amazing!

That's a brilliant idea! I'm snapping away all the time so must try and do the same thing! I actually must weigh her too, she hasn't been weighed since her 3 month check!

I'm back to work on Saturday arrrrggghhhh!

You poor thing, that'll be tough on you all but from my previous two returns to work post baby, its amazing to feel like a normal working member of society again who has normal conversations! Will your hubby mind him while you work?

Feeling quite proud of myself today as we have hit our goal of six months breastfeeding. At times I really didn't think we would get there as it was very hard, but here we are. Onto the next six months!

Fair play to you and anyone who stuck with breastfeeding. You are all amazing. I stuck it two weeks with my first and didn't entertain it for other two.

The next six months will be more fun, hopefully as we watch them starting to crawl and maybe even walk! Hopefully nights will get easier too. I think and hope the toughest days are over us all

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Hey there, hope everyone is doing well. I have a question, or at least I'm looking for some ideas on what other parents are doing.

My little one is eating a great variety of fruit and veg now and I'll be starting her on meat this week too. For some reason I'm having a bit of a mental block in introducing her to foods with gluten. I know I need to do it soon and that bread, pasta, etc are all good options. I think I've heard so much about these being "bad" foods over the years that I'm finding myself wary of giving them to my baby. It's stupid, I know, and I need to introduce them soon. I'm far from being a health freak. But I feel like I have really bad eating habits and that makes me doubly determined to give my daughter good food and good eating habits. (To illustrate this, I'm currently sitting down eating a bag of jellies while I take a break from steaming spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas and courgettes for her!!)

What kind of carbs / gluten foods have you given your babas?

ally_pally wrote:
    My little one is eating a great variety of fruit and veg now and I'll be starting her on meat this week too. For some reason I'm having a bit of a mental block in introducing her to foods with gluten. I know I need to do it soon and that bread, pasta, etc are all good options. I think I've heard so much about these being "bad" foods over the years that I'm finding myself wary of giving them to my baby. It's stupid, I know, and I need to introduce them soon. I'm far from being a health freak. But I feel like I have really bad eating habits and that makes me doubly determined to give my daughter good food and good eating habits. (To illustrate this, I'm currently sitting down eating a bag of jellies while I take a break from steaming spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas and courgettes for her!!)

Haha, my baby has the healthiest diet with the steaming and pureeing and making everything from scratch while I'm a complete savage on the unhealthy foods for myself! I haven't given bread yet either but I'm planning on giving either eggy banana bread or a few fingers of buttered soft bread this week. I'm not doing blw so I've been waiting until she's really got the hang of eating and swallowing her food before trying this new texture. I haven't given pasta yet either. I'm really not a fan of it myself so that's why. However, I've given rice with chicken and veg and pureed down with plenty of formula which went down a treat with her.

I'm kind of just winging it with the weaning. I'm giving him veggies or bits of what we are eating or a mashed-up version of our meal. Kind of a combo of BLW and pureeing. So he's had bread a few times - I just give him a wee bit and he holds it in his wee fist and sucks and sucks and sucks. He loves it! Nothing to be nervous of. You could stick with wholemeal bread.

Yep just give fingers of toast. My boys love it. I normally put something like banana or avocado or cottage cheese on it.

• Advertisement

Yeah my wee man has toast fingers with peanut butter (think i read somewhere that its better than fresh bread as that can stick to the roof of their mouth) pitta with hummus, pasta with bolognaise, he really just sucks stuff off the bread or pasta and just chews them bit, not sure he has ever swallowed any. He loves eggy bread fingers too. I also like making him porridge fingers which is great for his teething. Rice cakes are great too and carry a too and carry a topping well. Just have to make sure you get the unsalted kind

Advertisement