Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

deh983 wrote:
    Anyone else have a whingy clingy baby these days?? I really think the inconsistent sleep is starting to affect her now. It's like she's always tired.

A bit clingier and whingier than usual but I put it down to her top teeth threatening. I can't see them or feel them yet but she has the tongue going a lot so I've been using Teetha gel on her gums.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

deh983 wrote:
    She has turned 6 months so am I right in saying she can have normal porridge weetabix now?? I'm struggling with the weaning (along with everything else) so just trying to remember what I did with #1

My girl loves weetabix and porridge and ready brek. I mash a little banana into the weetabix and she can't wait for the spoon every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

According to wonder weeks they are going through a leap where the experience separation anxiety, around 29 weeks (corrected) so thats around now for me and probably some of you. The app says that instead of being annoyed with the clingyness we should be proud of this development, or words to that effect!!

Smaoifs, wish the rolled up blanket worked for me, he just likes to pull it and unroll it!

greenttc wrote:
    Smaoifs, wish the rolled up blanket worked for me, he just likes to pull it and unroll it!

Everything is a toy to them!

Slightly connected to being proud of the clinginess, my little one is turning into such an affectionate little thing. She hugs into my neck and shoulder and gums at my cheek or chin. Probably teething related but I like to think she's learning to kiss me! She also lights up when she sees familiar people and flaps her arms and legs goodo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

That arm and leg flailing is just the loveliest sight there is. There's such unbridled joy in it.

ally_pally wrote:
    That arm and leg flailing is just the loveliest sight there is. There's such unbridled joy in it.

It really is! Makes the early mornings a bit easier getting that reaction!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

My wee man is sick 😔

We are over in England visiting some friends, and he's caught his first cold from my friend's baby girl. She has been sick for weeks so I hope it isn't as bad for him. He's coughing/sneezing, stuffy nose and sniffly breathing, is very hot to touch and he just threw up. I'm hoping his temperature comes down with calpol and that he isn't too upset on the flight home tomorrow. I'm flying on my own with him, which is hard work at the best of times.

Poor baba

We are over in England visiting some friends, and he's caught his first cold from my friend's baby girl. She has been sick for weeks so I hope it isn't as bad for him. He's coughing/sneezing, stuffy nose and sniffly breathing, is very hot to touch and he just threw up. I'm hoping his temperature comes down with calpol and that he isn't too upset on the flight home tomorrow. I'm flying on my own with him, which is hard work at the best of times.

Your poor wee baba. There's absolutely nothing worse than when they're sick. How is he this morning? Hope you're OK too.

Caitriona hope baba is okay and that the flight wasnt too bad. Even though it wasnt the other babys fault you feel a bit annoyed at them for giving your baby their sickness, stupid really but the feeling of needing to protect at all costs is fierce!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks girls, baba still dosed with the cold but vomiting/diarrhoea seemed to end on Tuesday. So babies' first colds usually last longer than adults? I feel so bad for him! Was hoping it might be a short cold as he is getting some immunity from BF but no such luck. The wee baba he caught it off has been sick for 3 weeks so I really hope he isn't as unlucky!

Meant to be going swimming this morning, but think I'll skip it as he's under the weather. May go to a mother and baby group instead, as they all seem to be on Thursdays and clash without swim class!

Thanks girls, baba still dosed with the cold but vomiting/diarrhoea seemed to end on Tuesday. So babies' first colds usually last longer than adults? I feel so bad for him! Was hoping it might be a short cold as he is getting some immunity from BF but no such luck. The wee baba he caught it off has been sick for 3 weeks so I really hope he isn't as unlucky!

Aw the wee pet. Can he take anything for the cold? You must be exhausted. Schools are back so I'm bracing myself for my 2 year old bringing back lots of colds and bugs from creche over next few months!

We got our first 12 hours!! She normally does 10-11 hours but we got 12 hours last night.
    Could hear her moving around so decided to leave her til she whinged. When we went in, she was on her tummy waving her teddy around!
    She has also perfected rolling back on to her back from her tummy. Big week for us!!

smaoifs wrote:
    We got our first 12 hours!! She normally does 10-11 hours but we got 12 hours last night. Could hear her moving around so decided to leave her til she whinged. When we went in, she was on her tummy waving her teddy around! She has also perfected rolling back on to her back from her tummy. Big week for us!!

That's brilliant! And on a Saturday morning too...constitutes a great lie in for you all!

I finally feel like we're in a routine here which is great. She does from 8 pm until 7 am and then two good naps and sometimes a little catnap and she's feeding great. But she's hating being restrained, be it the high chair, bouncer or jumparoo. She just wants to be on the floor making for any corner she shouldn't be. Life is certainly much busier! Nappy changes are very difficult as she flips over on the changing table and changing her on my knee requires all my energy and strength! She's just so so busy!

I finally feel like we're in a routine here which is great. She does from 8 pm until 7 am and then two good naps and sometimes a little catnap and she's feeding great. But she's hating being restrained, be it the high chair, bouncer or jumparoo. She just wants to be on the floor making for any corner she shouldn't be. Life is certainly much busier! Nappy changes are very difficult as she flips over on the changing table and changing her on my knee requires all my energy and strength! She's just so so busy!

We were the same with nappy changes so tried Pampers nappy pants and they are soooo easy!

smaoifs wrote:
    We were the same with nappy changes so tried Pampers nappy pants and they are soooo easy!

Definitely must try that thanks! Though I think I've a stockpile of nappies that would do me until Christmas to use up first!

Definitely must try that thanks! Though I think I've a stockpile of nappies that would do me until Christmas to use up first!

My spare room is like a baby shop. Got a load of spend and save vouchers for Dunnes. Tesco accept them and are doing 3 for €30 on Pampers so I have boxes piled up behind the door!

You guys and your great sleepers!!! My wee fella is down to 2 wakeups per night and I've been delighted lol. It's a big improvement from getting up 4-6 times a night though!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

smaoifs wrote: »
    We got our first 12 hours!! She normally does 10-11 hours but we got 12 hours last night.
    Could hear her moving around so decided to leave her til she whinged. When we went in, she was on her tummy waving her teddy around!
    She has also perfected rolling back on to her back from her tummy. Big week for us!![/quote

Jealous. Oh so jealous]

You guys and your great sleepers!!! My wee fella is down to 2 wakeups per night and I've been delighted lol. It's a big improvement from getting up 4-6 times a night though!

She made up for it this morning. Awake around 6 for her early bottle and then refused to go back asleep. I jinxed myself!

• Advertisement

How's everyone doing with food? My girl is doing great but I know I need to start reducing her milk a bit more now. She's already gone from 6 bottles to 5 and down an ounce in each of her remaining bottles but she's still on 30oz a day which is probably quite a lot.

I'm mainly wondering if your babas are still waking for feeds at night? I find my girl is waking later and later for her "night feed", it's generally around 5.30ish now so she's almost making it to morning. Just wondering if I should drop a middle of the day bottle, up her bedtime bottle amount. So that overall I'm reducing her milk intake but have it geared more towards bedtime and getting her through the night. Curious to know what everyone else is doing?

ally_pally wrote:
    How's everyone doing with food? My girl is doing great but I know I need to start reducing her milk a bit more now. She's already gone from 6 bottles to 5 and down an ounce in each of her remaining bottles but she's still on 30oz a day which is probably quite a lot.

I'm mainly wondering if your babas are still waking for feeds at night? I find my girl is waking later and later for her "night feed", it's generally around 5.30ish now so she's almost making it to morning. Just wondering if I should drop a middle of the day bottle, up her bedtime bottle amount. So that overall I'm reducing her milk intake but have it geared more towards bedtime and getting her through the night. Curious to know what everyone else is doing?

Our routine (roughly) is awake at 7am and has 8 oz bottle. Breakfast around 8 am (weetabix or ready brek with banana). Sleep then from 9.30 until 10.45. Lunch at 12 (toast or French toast or wheaten bread with some Greek yogurt) and about 4 oz of milk. Sleeps from 1-3. Another 4 oz of milk when she wakes with dinner then around 4.30. Another catnap around 5-5.30, bath at 7 pm, supper straight after and another 8 oz bottle and bed at 8. She takes about 24 Oz's all day. She hasn't had a night feed in about a month. She's over 7 months now so probably is a little older than your little one. Hope this helps.

My wee man is on about 32oz a day spread across four 8oz bottles so he has just dropped one in the afternoon.

Our routine is

6.30am wake and bottle
    7am bed till 8
    8.30 breakfast which he has only recently started to properly eat, either porridge and fruit or yoghurt and fruit
    10.30am bottle and bed till 11.30
    12.30/1 lunch which he ests very little of, maybe a rice cake with peanut butter or goats cheese ( must try french toast again tango you just reminded me of it!)
    2pm bottle and bed till 4 or 4.30 if he wakes in the middle which he frequently does.
    5.30 dinner veg, meat, omlettes, pasta, anything we are having really
    7pm bottle and bed

He hasnt had a night feed since he was 10 weeks old, and he was even still breastfeeding at the time but never wanted a feed after 10 weeks.

Dont think we can drop any more milk yet, he screams to get his bottle and drinks every last drop. We just about are getting away with not giving him what used to be his 4pm bottle!!

smaoifs wrote: »

I wondered about these, any leakages? I was a little concerned that they couldt be "tightened" around babys waist. Would lobe to hear how you have gotten in with them! Didnt want to risk buying a big box and then they are useless!

I too have to get through my stockpile though!

Thanks guys, that's really useful. I've just realised that she's been on the same amount of milk for the last few weeks while her food intake has greatly increased.

I'd be hoping to move to a routine quite like yours tangobelle. She's just such a ridiculous eater. She'll just keep eating even when she's no longer hungry. She's her mother's daughter all right. :-D

ally_pally wrote:
    I'd be hoping to move to a routine quite like yours tangobelle. She's just such a ridiculous eater. She'll just keep eating even when she's no longer hungry. She's her mother's daughter all right. :-D

I feel like the routine has only really been established in the last two weeks. Some days are different to others and in fairness to baba, its been herself that's settled into it and we've ran with it! She loves her grub too but when she's had enough, her mouth clamps shut and nothing else is getting in there. So funny!

Are ye all going to many mother and baby groups? We go swimming once a week but it isn't very social. My boy lives being around other babies, so I've started going to a few Cuidiú things and also some library rhyme time sessions. He loves it (but I hate it! lol).

Are ye all going to many mother and baby groups? We go swimming once a week but it isn't very social. My boy lives being around other babies, so I've started going to a few Cuidiú things and also some library rhyme time sessions. He loves it (but I hate it! lol).

No, I'm really bad. Haven't been to any. She's down to start creche in January so I'm keeping it at that! Laziness more than anything. She does love watching her big sister twirling around the place so she would enjoy a baby group for sure.

greenttc wrote:
    I wondered about these, any leakages? I was a little concerned that they couldt be "tightened" around babys waist. Would lobe to hear how you have gotten in with them! Didnt want to risk buying a big box and then they are useless!

No leakages at all. Once baby is within the weight range they'll fit. It's more that the waist band stretches rather than tightens. The smallest they do the pants in is size 3 which are hard to come across so I bought in bulk but size 4 will fit her before she's grown out of size 3.

• Advertisement

Well day one of our new feeding routine was amazingly successful. She slept through the night until 9.30!! I'm not counting my chickens yet, that might have been a fluke. But really happy with how it went.

Advertisement