Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

ally_pally wrote: »
    Well day one of our new feeding routine was amazingly successful. She slept through the night until 9.30!! I'm not counting my chickens yet, that might have been a fluke. But really happy with how it went.

What's this magic feeding routine you speak of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I actually think it might be more the amounts that I was feeding her than the schedule as such. I reduced her milk intake, gave her more solid food and a more substantial lunch and dinner and that seems to have made all the difference.

The freezer is full of puréed meals with meat, fruit and veg but I need to start adding in more carbs for her to feel properly satisfied. So last night she had the spaghetti bolognese that myself and my husband were having for dinner - mashed up and without any added salt and it seems to have done the trick. Normal 6oz bottle at 8pm and a smaller dream feed of 4oz around 11. And that did her until morning.

As I said, tonight could be a disaster and maybe it was pure coincidence that she had such an amazing night. But I'm hopeful!

I actually think it might be more the amounts that I was feeding her than the schedule as such. I reduced her milk intake, gave her more solid food and a more substantial lunch and dinner and that seems to have made all the difference.

The freezer is full of puréed meals with meat, fruit and veg but I need to start adding in more carbs for her to feel properly satisfied. So last night she had the spaghetti bolognese that myself and my husband were having for dinner - mashed up and without any added salt and it seems to have done the trick. Normal 6oz bottle at 8pm and a smaller dream feed of 4oz around 11. And that did her until morning.

As I said, tonight could be a disaster and maybe it was pure coincidence that she had such an amazing night. But I'm hopeful!

How did last night go?? I think I need to do something similar with carbs. How much milk is your little one drinking now??
    We were awake from 4:30-6 this morning. It's a joke at this stage now

It went brilliantly, she slept until 9am.

She had been on 30oz of milk spread evenly across 6 bottles and taking three meals a day. I've changed it so our new routine is:

9.30: breakfast of 6oz bottle and porridge with added fruit (banana, apple, plum or pear usually)
    13.30: lunch of scrambled egg and wholemeal toast mashed together or avocado toast or salmon, spinach and sweet potato (I have cubes of this frozen). Water to drink
    17.30: dinner of spaghetti bolognese or chicken and butternut squash / beef stew (again I have lots of this cooked up and frozen) with some brown rice added. 6oz bottle
    20.00 bed with a 6oz bottle
    23.00 dream feed of 4oz to hopefully see her through the night.

It seems like a lot of milk late in the day but it seems to be working for us. So she's dropped from 30oz to 22oz of milk per day in the last few days. The only major difference I've made to her food is that she's getting rice, pasta or toast more regularly. I used to say that it was hard to know when to stop feeding her as she'd just keep eating all the time. Well now she doesn't. She actually gets full and it's very clear when she doesn't want anymore. She's just a lot more satisfied now that she's getting a decent amount of carbs.

She's been a decent sleeper most of the time but I really feel like this is making a huge difference so it might be something worth trying. Good luck!

It went brilliantly, she slept until 9am.

She had been on 30oz of milk spread evenly across 6 bottles and taking three meals a day. I've changed it so our new routine is:

9.30: breakfast of 6oz bottle and porridge with added fruit (banana, apple, plum or pear usually)
    13.30: lunch of scrambled egg and wholemeal toast mashed together or avocado toast or salmon, spinach and sweet potato (I have cubes of this frozen). Water to drink
    17.30: dinner of spaghetti bolognese or chicken and butternut squash / beef stew (again I have lots of this cooked up and frozen) with some brown rice added. 6oz bottle
    20.00 bed with a 6oz bottle
    23.00 dream feed of 4oz to hopefully see her through the night.

It seems like a lot of milk late in the day but it seems to be working for us. So she's dropped from 30oz to 22oz of milk per day in the last few days. The only major difference I've made to her food is that she's getting rice, pasta or toast more regularly. I used to say that it was hard to know when to stop feeding her as she'd just keep eating all the time. Well now she doesn't. She actually gets full and it's very clear when she doesn't want anymore. She's just a lot more satisfied now that she's getting a decent amount of carbs.

She's been a decent sleeper most of the time but I really feel like this is making a huge difference so it might be something worth trying. Good luck!

Thanks for that. I have to try something coz something is keeping her awake & ive tried everything else at this stage.
    How old is your little one? Ours is just 6.5 months

• Advertisement

She's just over 6.5, born Feb 16th. It's definitely worth a try, hope it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

ally_pally wrote:
    So she's dropped from 30oz to 22oz of milk per day in the last few days. The only major difference I've made to her food is that she's getting rice, pasta or toast more regularly.

We are the same. She was on 30-33ozs a day before weaning. She is now on 22 now that we're established with meals.
    After 12 weeks or so of food, we've come across the first thing she's turned her nose up at: apple and blueberry. She made a sour face and gave a shudder! Lucky it was only a jar cos we were out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Anyone's baby sick? My wee man has had a cold for nearly two weeks now and I think it's getting worse! Temperature, runny nose and sore cough. Struggles to breathe when feeding. And his appetite is gone when it comes to solids. Thank god for calpol!!!

On a sunnier note, he waved bye bye to my godmother today. We thought it might be a fluke but he did it again for her. And then waved goodbye to my mam when we were putting him up to bed just now. I feel so proud haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Anyone's baby sick? My wee man has had a cold for nearly two weeks now and I think it's getting worse! Temperature, runny nose and sore cough. Struggles to breathe when feeding. And his appetite is gone when it comes to solids. Thank god for calpol!!!

He's having a tough time and the colds are so hard to shake off. Hope he gets over it soon. Its exhausting. No sickness here yet thankfully but winter is coming so I'm sure we'll get struck soon with something or other,! My baba, in fairness, has only been sick once since she was born so we've been really lucky.
    On a sunnier note, he waved bye bye to my godmother today. We thought it might be a fluke but he did it again for her. And then waved goodbye to my mam when we were putting him up to bed just now. I feel so proud haha!

That's brilliant! So amazing to see the wee milestones

That's amazing! I'm trying to get her to clap hands. She'll clap my hands with her little hands pushing my hands together but that's it! Must start waving at her to encourage her to do that.

• Advertisement

How is everyone and babas?

We have started teething again, drooling like mad, rosy cheeks, wanting to chew everything and a bit clingy and whingy. She wasn't this bad with the first two. They appeared within 4 days of each other with very little bother.

Looks like she's gonna have her first three bottom teeth before she gets any top teeth.

smaoifs wrote:
    We have started teething again, drooling like mad, rosy cheeks, wanting to chew everything and a bit clingy and whingy. She wasn't this bad with the first two. They appeared within 4 days of each other with very little bother.

We're still waiting on the first teeth! No sign of anything yet but feels like she's been teething since she was born! 7.5 months and nothing!

She's doing great though and is slithering all over the place and generally tormenting her big sister by trying to steal her toys. She can sit up unaided if we put her sitting so another little milestone. And still sleeping the night

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Think our wee man is teething too althouh like tango i feel like he has been teething since birth, have always been able to see his teo bottom teeth under the surface of his gums and he always gets red cheeks and bites everything he sees. It is a long hard slog for him. The past week though his sleeping has been really interrupted, waking up screaming and almost inconsolable, its awful. Gave him calpol once but wondering if that is the best thing to do. Have also been using calgel and paraons teething powder but i am not sure how effective they are. What have you guys tried and what has worked,it really is heartbreaking seeing them go through it.

oh, the volume of dirty nappies has increased too, we have to see a tooth soon i reckon!

Still not really sitting up on his own, almost there but he just falls over to the side.

Still hasnt figured out rolling from front to back just from back to front which is really frustrating him. Amd frustrating us at night!

Vaccinations this week, we were late with the last ones due to sickness so these six month ones are late, dreading it, especially ontop of teething, cant delay them though!

greenttc wrote:
    Think our wee man is teething too althouh like tango i feel like he has been teething since birth, have always been able to see his teo bottom teeth under the surface of his gums and he always gets red cheeks and bites everything he sees. It is a long hard slog for him. The past week though his sleeping has been really interrupted, waking up screaming and almost inconsolable, its awful. Gave him calpol once but wondering if that is the best thing to do. Have also been using calgel and paraons teething powder but i am not sure how effective they are. What have you guys tried and what has worked,it really is heartbreaking seeing them go through it.

greenttc wrote:
    oh, the volume of dirty nappies has increased too, we have to see a tooth soon i reckon!

greenttc wrote:
    greenttc wrote:

I have amber anklets on her. She got her 1st tooth the day she turned 5 months and the second 4 days later and both seemed to just appear with only one off day when they were cutting. I've also been using Teetha gel.

Our dirty nappies have also increased! Beautiful ones this weekend after she had banana and blueberry :S

greenttc wrote:

greenttc wrote:

greenttc wrote:
    greenttc wrote:

I have amber anklets on her. She got her 1st tooth the day she turned 5 months and the second 4 days later and both seemed to just appear with only one off day when they were cutting. I've also been using Teetha gel.

Our dirty nappies have also increased! Beautiful ones this weekend after she had banana and blueberry :S

greenttc wrote:

greenttc wrote:

greenttc wrote:
    greenttc wrote:

Still no teeth here. I've been thinking it'll be any day now for months! She's always chewing on anything she can get her hands on - she's currently more interested in biting down on the hard plastic around her soother than the soother itself. Occasionally she has a bad day with it and I've given her Calpol a couple of times when she seems very bad. I was cautious to give it to be honest but it's very mild really and if there's something to help take the pain away then I figure it'd be wrong not to give it to her. For more standard days when it's just bothering her a bit I give her Teetha granules.

Good luck with the vaccines greenttc. My girl was pretty bad after her 2 and 4 month shots but the 6 month ones didn't seem to bother her in the slightest, so hopefully your wee one will be the same.

She's sitting up on her own now and seems much more able to do more detailed and precise actions with her hands. It's wonderful to see all these new developments.

Still just the 2 bottom teeth here. Have them since 4 months & nothing since. We also have the amber necklace & the teeth appeared without us realising.
    Injections today. Dreading them more than I did the last Ines for some reason. She has a cold & cough for the last few weeks which could be teething but can't seem to shake it so will ask doctor to give her quick check while we're there.
    Sits for ages playing on the floor now and tries to get to crawling position but can't quite get it. Will get up on all fours when on her tummy but no movement yet!!
    Hope everyone is doing well.

No teeth and happy!!! My nipples could do without the extra aggro!

Wee man sitting up well now for the last six weeks or so. No signs of crawling yet though.

His sleep is much better - usually up once or twice a night, bar an absolutely horrific night on Saturday when all the street were kept awake by the incessant roaring. He's had a nasty cold for 2.5 weeks now so that was probably why.

And green, we found the six month vaccines a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Good to hear you all found the six.month injections ok. Deh, I think we are dreading them cause its three injections this time and like you and others my wee man has a cough too so sickness always makes you wary, and now the teething is ontop of that!! The poor little mites!

Must try those teetha granules wonder if its the same as the parsons ones, do you just pour it on their tounge?

The weather is a bit crappy for the ol walks and trips to parks isnt it? I will be missing summer this year!!!

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote:
    Must try those teetha granules wonder if its the same as the parsons ones, do you just pour it on their tounge?

I'm just using the gel for now cos I thought she was a bit young for the granules when she first started teething. My sister uses the granules on her 18 month old and they seem to do her good. She was very whingy Saturday cos her big teeth are cutting and the granules seemed to settle her.

Doctor wouldn't giver her vaccine as he said she has a lot of mucus on her chest so wanted that cleared up first. Antibiotics for a week. Was hoping to avoid them but she has it about 3 weeks now.

Sorry to hear that deh. Hopefully the antibiotics will get to work soon and give her some relief.

Hopefully she'll bounce back now with the antibiotics. Head cold has hit this house too so bracing myself for a rough night

Hopefully she'll bounce back now with the antibiotics. Head cold has hit this house too so bracing myself for a rough night

You've probably done this but a good tip I got was Vicks on the soles of feet & then babygrow or socks on. Works great even during the day to help the breathing

Anyone made the transition from three naps to two? Wee man is getting so so difficult to get down to sleep now. It can take two hours to get him down for a nap and for the night. He is tired - rubbing his eyes etc - and it doesn't make any difference whether I put him down as soon as he starts to show sleep cues or if I wait until he's very tired. And then when he does eventually go down, he sometimes sleeps for a really long time - like 3 hours.

I'm wondering if it's time to change it to two naps. I've heard it can happen around this age? Or if it's just the lingering cold he has that's causing the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mine have just switched to two naps. It's been a rocky couple of weeks nap wise. I'm finding it impossible to get them to nap at all in afternoon! And then they sometimes drop off too late in the day. I've had to drive them around some days out of desperation!

deh983 wrote:
    You've probably done this but a good tip I got was Vicks on the soles of feet & then babygrow or socks on. Works great even during the day to help the breathing

Thanks! I heard that but didn't do it last night. We had a disastrous night and had her up four times to give her the saline spray. Her wee nose is all bunged up and she couldn't suck her dummy which kept waking her up. Think I got about two hours average over whole night. Coffee for me and Vick's on babas feet will hopefully get me through today.

Anyone made the transition from three naps to two? Wee man is getting so so difficult to get down to sleep now. It can take two hours to get him down for a nap and for the night. He is tired - rubbing his eyes etc - and it doesn't make any difference whether I put him down as soon as he starts to show sleep cues or if I wait until he's very tired. And then when he does eventually go down, he sometimes sleeps for a really long time - like 3 hours.

We're still on 3 naps here but like you it can be such a battle getting her down for her nap and she will usually do around one hour each time. We rarely get a good two hour nap. And she can't last longer than two hours awake. Sometimes though instead of her evening nap, I've put her in car for a drive around which put her to sleep for a short while and stretches her out until bedtime.

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    Mine have just switched to two naps. It's been a rocky couple of weeks nap wise. I'm finding it impossible to get them to nap at all in afternoon! And then they sometimes drop off too late in the day. I've had to drive them around some days out of desperation!

I had to do that almost every day with my oldest. He refused a nap during the day from a very young age and the only way we got a break was to drive around with him to get him to nod off! He was horrendous at night too. He's a teenager now and sleeps night and day!

Advertisement