Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Same here with a clingy, demanding baby over the past day or so! Cant put her down for 5 mins and she wants to get up again..naps are down to 2 a day now but just about as its a struggle dragging her out from 3 until bedtime...had a week there of going to bed at 8 and sleeping the whole night through until 6 but now back to popping the dodi back in 3 or 4 times a night...putting that down to teeth (we have none yet). Also 9 month in my area for dev check up...this lady isnt rolling so wondering will they say anything about it..hates being on her tummy but is sitting up on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

It's awful!! My due date was 19th Jan so we are likely a few weeks ahead of the February pack here... watch out guys!!! It started with an absolute bang just over a week ago and apparently it may take another 19 days still.

My due date was 1st Feb so a bit behind your guy. I've spent the day analysing everything baba does in case its the start of the leap! Funny thing is, I don't remember my 2 year old having any problem once she settled at 7 months. I probably blocked it out!

At least if you're back at work, you and daddy have to share the night wakeups!!! Well, in theory. I'm only part-time, but still seem to get the raw deal with wakeups when we are both working the following day!

In theory is right. My husband is very good in fairness at weekends but has an uncanny ability to sleep through the baby! We will be sharing the bad nights but we'll see in two weeks how that goes!

I did a dummy run this morning of getting both babies up, fed, dressed and ready to go with myself dressed and made up for work and the teenager out the door for school and failed miserably! I'll have to start getting up at 6 am to stand any chance!

Same here with a clingy, demanding baby over the past day or so! Cant put her down for 5 mins and she wants to get up again..naps are down to 2 a day now but just about as its a struggle dragging her out from 3 until bedtime...had a week there of going to bed at 8 and sleeping the whole night through until 6 but now back to popping the dodi back in 3 or 4 times a night...putting that down to teeth (we have none yet). Also 9 month in my area for dev check up...this lady isnt rolling so wondering will they say anything about it..hates being on her tummy but is sitting up on her own.

My 2 year old HATED being on her tummy and never crawled. Nothing was said at 9 month check up about it. If your baba is sitting up then she's hitting that milestone and not all babies crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

I wasn't expecting a check at 7 months & then the questionnaire arrived in the post. She's 7 months today so the nurse is on the ball anyway!! She's a tonne weight so interesting to see what weight she actually is.

How is everyone with getting out & about?? I stayed at home for full week apart from playschool drops to get her daytime sleep sorted which worked brilliantly but now I need to start getting out some day. We go for walks etc locally most days but would love/need to go shopping. Guess I'm just nervous if she won't sleep in the buggy. Sounds silly now that I've put it here. Guess I just need to get up & go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Deh its so hard staying at home like that, fair play! I have to get out for at least a walk every day, would go mental staying in thw whole time.

Mine is in a routine of naps too but if I am going to the shops or whatever it all gets done in between nap times so that all his sleeps are in the cot.I just find if he sleeps in the buggy now je only sleeps for a very short amount of time and wont go to sleep again wheb we get home. Same with the car seat, its like a race home before he nods off and ruins actual nap time in his cot.

God, I sound completely nuts when I write it all out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

deh983 wrote:
    How is everyone with getting out & about?? I stayed at home for full week apart from playschool drops to get her daytime sleep sorted which worked brilliantly but now I need to start getting out some day. We go for walks etc locally most days but would love/need to go shopping. Guess I'm just nervous if she won't sleep in the buggy. Sounds silly now that I've put it here. Guess I just need to get up & go!!!

We're out most days unless it's lashing rain. I'm lucky that she'll fall asleep anywhere! We went to an early show in the cinema the other night and arrived home to find her conked out on nana's lap.
    She'll usually nap anything between 45 minutes and 2 hours. She has a bit of a headcold the past 2 days so I'm just letting her sleep when she needs to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Well for all the battles I'm having with him getting him down to sleep, he slept 7.30-6 last night, then down again for an hour at 6.30... by far and away the best night we've ever had!!! Kept waking up wondering if he was breathing lol. Feel much better for it!

I dunno how you manage to stay in the house. We are out every day, whether it's just for a walk or the supermarker, or for rhyme time at the library, or to swimming classes or a coffee morning! Trying to take him to more things where there are other kids around, as he loves being around babies. I have no friends with kids, so it means I've to get over my social anxieties and get talking to other mums! But actually enjoying it now we are over the initial push of getting chatting to new people.

Do the rest of you go to many things?

Well for all the battles I'm having with him getting him down to sleep, he slept 7.30-6 last night, then down again for an hour at 6.30... by far and away the best night we've ever had!!! Kept waking up wondering if he was breathing lol. Feel much better for it!

I dunno how you manage to stay in the house. We are out every day, whether it's just for a walk or the supermarker, or for rhyme time at the library, or to swimming classes or a coffee morning! Trying to take him to more things where there are other kids around, as he loves being around babies. I have no friends with kids, so it means I've to get over my social anxieties and get talking to other mums! But actually enjoying it now we are over the initial push of getting chatting to new people.

Do the rest of you go to many things?

Wow that's brilliant. I'd love to get out like that. Anything that I want to go to seems to be smack bang in the middle of nap time. We live in the country so any trips would take the whole morning or afternoon which I'm happy to do somedays. Really need to make the effort to get out more.

Check up with nurse went very well. She's delighted with her. 20lbs 7ozs!!!! Luckily she's long so can carry it off and doesn't have too many rolls :)
    Now to just get over the vaccinations tomorrow!!!

Oh we also slept 12 hours last night. Mind u im awake since 6 waiting for her to wake!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are out somewhere every day. Today we went to in laws for lunch. Wednesdays we have playgroup. Another day we go on a jolly with my mum. Some days I just drive to the McDonald's drive thru for a coffee ( 15 km away). Another good one is the shopping centre in kilkenny which has a lovelyfeedingroom and soft play area. I'd go mad stuck at home. The morning nap is sacred but anything goes after that.

• Advertisement

Oh and we did not sleep 12 hours last night. Wait til you hit eight months folks!!

fits wrote: »
    Oh and we did not sleep 12 hours last night. Wait til you hit eight months folks!!

Oh god, what happens at eight months?

[QUOTE=catrionanic;104743546 or for rhyme time at the library[/QUOTE]

What library is this in caitriona? I vaguely remember you saying you were on the southside of dublin somewhere.....

greenttc wrote: »
    Oh god, what happens at eight months?

Well my babies have never slept as well as many of yours so maybe nothing:D In the last few weeks the naps have been all over the place and some nights are grand and some are not.

greenttc wrote: »
    What library is this in caitriona? I vaguely remember you saying you were on the southside of dublin somewhere.....

Ah there are a few around. I had been going to one on Thursday mornings in Pembroke library in ballsbridge which is FAB! There's an unofficial playgroup type thing before - basically everybody comes early and they've toys out and all the kids play together (my boy just sits there mesmerised by all the toddlers), and then the librarian does singing and rhymes with them at 11, for 15 mins or so. It's busy - at least 20 kids there- but there's lots of space. I'm in Ranelagh so I walk over and let him see the ducks in Herbert park, and take him on the swings after. However it clashes with our swimming, annoyingly. So I'm gonna put it on hold until the new year and sign up for swimming on another day then.

There's also a story time in rathmines library on a Monday, which my parents take him to as I'm working. It's much quieter - usually 3-5 kids - and the librarian isn't quite as engaging. But they play with toys afterwards and it's nice for him just to see other kids.

I also want to try Panda play cafe in ballsbridge sometime soon, but I've no mummy friends to go with yet... if you fancy a coffee, hit me up ;)

Are any of you getting the flu jab for this winter? I got it last October because of the pregnancy but had never got it before.

Note..... we did NOT sleep 12 hours last night. Ugh

smaoifs wrote:
    Are any of you getting the flu jab for this winter? I got it last October because of the pregnancy but had never got it before.

I'm not planning to anyway. I didn't get it last year either. I was meant to go for it but kept putting it off. Bold girl I was!

Up twice in the night, but I'm happy enough with that given his track record to date! Sleeping through was probably a once-off.

No I'm not planning to get the flu jab. What makes you consider getting it? I thought it was only recommended for the very young or very old, people with respiratory conditions or in pregnancy.

No I'm not planning to get the flu jab. What makes you consider getting it? I thought it was only recommended for the very young or very old, people with respiratory conditions or in pregnancy.

My workplace has always offered it free of charge to anyone that wants it but I've never taken them up on it. They rang yesterday saying there was an appointment there if I wanted it. Told them I'd let them know.

• Advertisement

Mad day in work today, after an aggregate of about three hours sleep. Ughhhhh. Roll on 6 o'clock!!

How are all the babas doing now? Mine was 8 months yesterday and we're still waiting for the 8 month nightmare to hit. She is noticeably more clingy and cries if I go out of view but that's all she's displaying yet. Daytime naps are still very hit and miss but nights are grand. In fact, she slept from 8 pm last night until 8.30 this morning! Probably the calm before the storm! She's flying now on her belly and is almost able to master crawling. She's also trying to pull herself up to stand. Busy times ahead!

Hope those of you who've had the 8 month leap are seeing an improvement by now

We were 8 months yday too!!! Leap six seems to be easing a bit though as he's less clingy and his sleep, while still not great (but sure what's new), is a bit better.

Had the 8 months development check with the public health nurse yesterday. She's a bit concerned about his height - he has always been around 75-80th percentile, but is now only in the 10th percentile which is a bit weird. He is only 18th percentile for weight so he's not a big baba, but I'm 5"4 and his dad is 5"11 so we are pretty average sizes.

He's not making any attempt to crawl yet and still no teeth, but tbh I'm quite happy for both of those things to wait another few weeks!!

Are any babies clapping hands here? That's another thing she checked for that he's not doing. He does wave though (very very occasionally!).

Are any babies clapping hands here? That's another thing she checked for that he's not doing. He does wave though (very very occasionally!).

No clapping here either but she does wave when she feels like it. No teeth either. My last child was over 9 months when her first tooth cut so I'm not worried about that. We've not had check yet but think it's around 9 months when phn does it here.

Mine will push my hands together to do clap handies but has only clapped her own hands together once or twice and hasn't seemed to realise she did it.

My PHN doesn't do percentiles. She feels that one baby is going to be tallest, one shortest, one heaviest, one lightest with 98 other babies in between, and as long as baby is happy and healthy there's no point having mammies and babies in a competition. Our paediatrician's registrar thought ours was underweight at 6 weeks compared to her birth weight but the PHN had no concerns at 12 weeks and the paediatrician himself laughed when he saw her weight at 5 months as she had more than doubled her birth weight so he has no concerns.

Weight can be controlled but what's the use in the PHN being concerned about height unless it's an indication of something else? It's not like she can recommend you and dad stretch baby!

I take it back, we now have two teeth!! Just felt them there this evening. Wooo !

I take it back, we now have two teeth!! Just felt them there this evening. Wooo !

Aw that's great! Nice when they come through as a surprise!

Brilliant! Nice wee milestone.

God help us we are heading towards leap 6 & 8 month sleep regression. Any tips for those who have been through it???
    The thoughts of those short naps returning brings me out in a sweat.

• Advertisement

Left baba for the first time last night, as was heading up to ballycastle to stay the night with some friends. Was super excited about getting a full night's sleep, but ended up getting so ridiculously drunk and getting very little sleep! I had forgotten how brutal hangovers are.... I won't be rushing out again!

Advertisement