Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Left baba for the first time last night, as was heading up to ballycastle to stay the night with some friends. Was super excited about getting a full night's sleep, but ended up getting so ridiculously drunk and getting very little sleep! I had forgotten how brutal hangovers are.... I won't be rushing out again!

Hangovers really aren't worth it anymore when we have tiny lodgers who don't give a monkey's how tired or emotional we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Left baba for the first time last night, as was heading up to ballycastle to stay the night with some friends. Was super excited about getting a full night's sleep, but ended up getting so ridiculously drunk and getting very little sleep! I had forgotten how brutal hangovers are.... I won't be rushing out again!

Yep, I discovered hangovers last Sunday. Had a rare night out with hubby but Sunday was an absolute nightmare! It will be a while before we do it again!

I just went up to babas room to get her after her nap and there she was, standing up with the cot bars, twinkle in her eye! Fun times ahead. How are you all getting on? Have the leaps moved on yet?

I just went up to babas room to get her after her nap and there she was, standing up with the cot bars, twinkle in her eye! Fun times ahead. How are you all getting on? Have the leaps moved on yet?

That's amazing! The little personalities are really starting to shine through now. Mine is mad to stand the whole time. If she's sitting on anyone's lap she wriggles and throws herself around to stand on the floor. She has also started reversing around the floor. Not crawling but wriggling her way along.
    She'll be 8 months on the 8th. Bit of sleep disturbance over the weekend and had a long nap today. Seems to be favouring food to bottles the past day or 2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Oh god two weeks since i last read this thread, love having lots to read!! Lot of responding to do too though

Caitriona, thats so good there are lots of things in libraries around you, i would be more out near dundrum and the dun laoghaire rathdown libraries really dont cater for anything like that as far as i can see! Play cafr thing sounds good though, hadnt heard of ballsbridge but knew about funky monkeys and that one in terenure though! Ill let you know if i need someone to go with too!

Smaoifs, dont think i will get flu jab, only got it cause i was pregnant this time last year but not sure if i will bother this hear, had never got it before. My husband gets it free in work though so he is getting it!

Deh i havent seen any sleep regression, naps and sleeps are going okay although can be a bit shorter on some days but i just stick to the routine and put him in his cot even if he talks away for twenty minutes, he always goes to sleep in the end.

Tango you have a standing baby! Now that is a milestone, and only eight months? Wow! Mine is sitting on his own now and moves a small bit during tummy time but no sign of crawling and certainly not standing!! Wow

Also no hand clapping here or waving but he talks away and tries to copy sounds i make, will make kissy noises when i ask for a kiss and mmmmm noises for yummy food!

Still no teeth with us, can see them there under the surface though, have been able to see them for months but they just wont come out!

He is still a bit clingy but not too bad, he has good and bad days

Have loads of stuff booked now for the next few months, santa experience, halloweenn walks, all the seasonal stuff, its all just to please me really but so exciting all the same! Very annoying that all halloween costumes are for girls and the boys get about two crappy things, so unfair!!! Migt have to make my own!

Wow thats a lengthy response, but i am happier now knowing i have contrinuted to the thread!

• Advertisement

Meant to ask, how many bottles are all the babies on, think i asked before but just wondring if there is any reduction yet mine is still on four bottles of 8 so about 32oz and recommended is 28oz for this age..... no sign of reducing at all!!!

greenttc wrote:
    Meant to ask, how many bottles are all the babies on, think i asked before but just wondring if there is any reduction yet mine is still on four bottles of 8 so about 32oz and recommended is 28oz for this age..... no sign of reducing at all!!!

We're on 3 7oz bottles and 1 4ozs a day. Are you using stage 1 formula or moved onto stage 2?

greenttc wrote:

We're on 3 7 oz bottles, but sometimes takes a little more or a little less. We're still on stage 1 milk and don't intend changing tbh as I'm hoping to get her off it around the 12/13 month mark and onto cow's milk. She's not taking to beakers at all though yet.

Yeah I debated about getting stage 2 milk and read everything I could but still couldnt make up mind whether he is missing out by not having it or whether stage two is just a marketing plan. I think the big difference is iron and I try and put kale in everything he eats as well as giving him other iron rich foods, I have taken the view that getting nutrients naturally is better than supplementing. My opinion could be easily swayed though cause I am not basing it on much!!!

So are your babies keeping the morning and evening bottles and reducing the middle of the day ones? He still sceams for each bottle at the exact times he usually gets them. He even had a huge bowl of porridge at 9am this morning and then screamed for his bottle at 10. He cant have been hungry, suppose I just have to let him reduce milk himself but he just doesn't want to yet.

I went through every type of cup and beaker, I mean every type out there. Eventually found that a small tommy tippee one.called my first straw works best and he drinks away from that, just water though, havent tried milk in there although like you tango I want him on beakers and off bottles by 13 months, cows milk is the plan too. Will be interesting to see how "to plan" this will go though!

greenttc wrote:
    So are your babies keeping the morning and evening bottles and reducing the middle of the day ones? He still sceams for each bottle at the exact times he usually gets them. He even had a huge bowl of porridge at 9am this morning and then screamed for his bottle at 10. He cant have been hungry, suppose I just have to let him reduce milk himself but he just doesn't want to yet.

She'll take the full 7oz first thing. Has porridge around 9.30-10. Will only take the 3oz if she needs help falling asleep for her late morning nap. Has her big meal of pureed meat and veg around 1.30. She'll have another 7oz late afternoon but doesn't always finish it. Has pureed fruit and Liga as a tea and usually finishes her 7oz bedtime bottle. We give her little finger food snacks throughout the day too.
    greenttc wrote:
    I went through every type of cup and beaker, I mean every type out there. Eventually found that a small tommy tippee one.called my first straw works best and he drinks away from that, just water though, havent tried milk in there although like you tango I want him on beakers and off bottles by 13 months, cows milk is the plan too. Will be interesting to see how "to plan" this will go though!

I must have a look for that beaker. I tried giving her sips of water through a beaker but it's too open a flow so she dribbled most of it out.

• Advertisement

http://https://www.tommeetippee.us/product/first-straw-transition-cup

This is the one he has smaoifs, its just that he understood to suck and get water where as he couldntget his head around having to tip other bottles for the water to come out. The handles are good on this too.

Must have missed your post earlier about your little stander too, all the babies standing! Brilliant!

Our routine sounds a little like yours with the waking bottle and the porridge and then bottle before late morning nap. Sometimes i wonder shoudl i bring him straight down for porridge instead of his morning bottle.... must try and do it some morning and not be lazy! We usually have play time in bed after morning bottle and i am still half asleep for that!

greenttc wrote:
    Our routine sounds a little like yours with the waking bottle and the porridge and then bottle before late morning nap. Sometimes i wonder shoudl i bring him straight down for porridge instead of his morning bottle.... must try and do it some morning and not be lazy! We usually have play time in bed after morning bottle and i am still half asleep for that!

Our waking bottle is usually between 6 and 7 so it's too dark and my bed is too warm to have the porridge then! She usually goes back asleep til 9ish and then we play for a while before porridge. I have the radio on while she's eating and sing along which she loves and then we have a little dance to distract her as I clean her face and hands. She screams bloody murder when I wash her face but absolutely loves her baths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We are having an awful night here. It’s 2.15am and I’m yet to get any sleep! He just will not settle. I think the whole street is awake!!! Not a fan of CIO but in desperate am just trying it for ten mins to see what happens.... 4 minutes into it now and his cries are breaking my heart though :(

God this sucks. I hate seeing him this upset. And I’m so so tired after 8 months of this. Why won’t he just sleep?!?!?!??

We are having an awful night here. It’s 2.15am and I’m yet to get any sleep! He just will not settle. I think the whole street is awake!!! Not a fan of CIO but in desperate am just trying it for ten mins to see what happens.... 4 minutes into it now and his cries are breaking my heart though

God this sucks. I hate seeing him this upset. And I’m so so tired after 8 months of this. Why won’t he just sleep?!?!?!??

Aw you poor things! Did he settle for you? You've had such a rough 8 months sleep wise, no wonder you're exhausted. I hope you get some rest today.

[quote=smaoifs She screams bloody murder when I wash her face but absolutely loves her baths.[/quote]

My baba does the same! You'd swear she was being tortured by us! And as for wiping her nose, that's a whole different level of screaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Absolutely 100% done with this bs at night too. Back to 1.5 hours awake during the night for no reason. Whingebag during the day & doesn’t matter what I do makes no difference.

I feel your pain catrionaic. It’s just horrible.

On a plus side in 2 weeks I will be on a plane to nyc where I don’t care if I never leave the hotel. All I want is sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm sorry to hear some of you are having a rough time of it. We too had a really tough few weeks of it. But we seem to be out the other end of it again. Everything is just a phase. Twin 1 has been cruising around and was totally wound up with his new abilities but he has settled again. He's having a lovely long nap in his cot now. We are still cosleeping at night and I love it for the most part. Everyone definitely gets most sleep that way. Husband has made noises about cots but I tell him he has to take responsibility for one baby for feeding and resettling if we do that and he quietens fairly quickly :D. He gets completely undisturbednights for the most part.

Catrionanic I hope you are ok today.

How did the cry it out go caitriona? I dont think that is a bad way to approach ot at all especially when you have tried everything else.

Deh and caotriona I really to feel sorry for ye, sleep is just so important and looking after these babas is hard enough as it is!

Just wanted to ad my lad to the list od babies who hate faces and noses being cleaned, its like a form of extreme torture for him!

Fits how did you get on with your developmental check up and twin 2?

Catrionaic don’t feel bad about the cry it out. We’ve done it with both and it’s worked on both. Number one is a champion sleeper & although this one is a nightmare during the night she self settles for all naps and at night. I’m putting this period down to leap teething & regression.

Ours is the same getting face/nose wiped. Although now she tries to lick the cloth!!!

So CIO wasn’t a goer. I only let him cry for ten mins, but we live in a small terrace house with really thin walls and we can hear everything the neighbours do, so I feel really conscious of them being up all night too.

In the end, he was awake from 11.30 to 3 and then went down to sleep when I was waking him round and around the kitchen in the dark. He slept til 7 then.

It’s definitely taking a toll on our marriage too. I feel so resentful that my husband won’t help at all. He says he has to work, and seems happy enough for me to be awake most of the night while he snores away. Even when Liam was waking up to six times a night for three months, and I was a wreck with it all, he refused to get up even just once. I feel like he has no empathy at all, and really doesn’t care how hard things are for me, as long as he is getting what he wants.

• Advertisement

Caitriona i remember reading about cry it out cause i used it a small bit myself and one of the things it said to do was to call in to your neighbours and explain hour tactic, that they have probably heard liam crying at night and you are up the walls with tirdness but you want to give cry it out a go and what it will involve so that they arent sitting there wondering what is going on in the middle of the night, syaing that though i am not sure i would knock on someones door to tell them but would look out for them coming out of their houses so i could strike up conversation and mention it to them.

In terms of hour husband, i am not sure what to say, he hasnt been very supportive from the very beginning i know, and i suppose there is not much anyone can say or advise but i am totally on your side and think you have every right to be annoyed and frustrated, i cant imagine how hard it is for you. His attitude to it all is just not good. Every relationship and communication in the relationship is different but i presume you have talked to him about how you feel and how it is effecting you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm not someone who would use cry it out but if trying it shouldn't it be on a regular night? When baby is sleepy?
    My two have both had wakeful episodes in recent weeks. They just couldn't settle to sleep for whatever reason. Once I had to call my sister over as my husband was away. Twin2 wouldn't settle down and was keeping twin 1 awake. Then at 10:30 he vomited all over me. Another night twin 1 woke up at 1 am and wouldn't resettle. About sn hour later I noticed he was roasting and took his temperature. It was 38.9 I think. He was wakeful then for about a week but sleeping better than ever now.
    If my night is much disturbed I'll nap with the babies the following day.

Sorry to hear your husband is unhelpful Catrionanic. Remember you are working too. I'm sure you are happy to do lions share but he should step in on the bad nights imo.

It’s definitely taking a toll on our marriage too. I feel so resentful that my husband won’t help at all. He says he has to work, and seems happy enough for me to be awake most of the night while he snores away. Even when Liam was waking up to six times a night for three months, and I was a wreck with it all, he refused to get up even just once. I feel like he has no empathy at all, and really doesn’t care how hard things are for me, as long as he is getting what he wants.

Really sorry to hear this too. Babies are very hard on a marriage, even when there's great support from the husband. Have you spoken to him about it? It must be so frustrating for you. At the end of the day, your beautiful baby has two parents... Two parents who both work and once maternity leave is over the nights etc should be shared, particularly when the baby is so unsettled. Do you have anyone to talk to about this?x

Hope last night was better catrionaic. We screamed from 10-12 and slept till 8 then. I think it’s her teeth.

On another note trying to get sorted for back to work. Looking for childminder is hard work.

deh983 wrote: »
    Hope last night was better catrionaic. We screamed from 10-12 and slept till 8 then. I think it’s her teeth.

On another note trying to get sorted for back to work. Looking for childminder is hard work.

8 hour’s, that’s amazing!

Last night was much better. Slept 8.30-1, and it took about half an hour to get him back down. Then slept 1.30-4.30, and then up for 45 mine before going back down 5.15-6.30. His dad got up with him at 6.30 though, and I got another couple of hours sleep then so I’m feeling more human!

Any babies crawling? My wee man just sits there and tries to reach for things, but gives up when they’re out of reach!

Last night was much better. Slept 8.30-1, and it took about half an hour to get him back down. Then slept 1.30-4.30, and then up for 45 mine before going back down 5.15-6.30. His dad got up with him at 6.30 though, and I got another couple of hours sleep then so I’m feeling more human!

Any babies crawling? My wee man just sits there and tries to reach for things, but gives up when they’re out of reach!

Glad it was a better night for you and your partner was able to give you those precious extra hours. Our naps have shortened slightly maybe by about 15 mins. I wonder is it time to increase awake time slightly. What are ur all on at the minute?

Our little one can get in all fours and rock but isn’t moving. Gets so frustrated then but I don’t know how to help her figure it out. We have wooden floors so that doesn’t help she just slides backwards all over the place.

Our baby started crawling properly a couple of days ago but had been sliding on her belly for a good while. She doesn't stop at all! She's mad now to stand when she gets a platform to cling to. We've wooden floors too, which are a definite hindrance!

Glad your night was better caitriona (though it still sounds like a tough night to me)! And deh, your baby did 8 hours, that's fabulous! Its amazing what a few more hours sleep can do for you. Hope you get childcare sorted too

I started back at work myself this week and was very emotional leaving baba. She got on great though! Nice to come home to her and her beaming at you!

Glad it was a better night for you and your partner was able to give you those precious extra hours. Our naps have shortened slightly maybe by about 15 mins. I wonder is it time to increase awake time slightly. What are ur all on at the minute?

Our little one can get in all fours and rock but isn’t moving. Gets so frustrated then but I don’t know how to help her figure it out. We have wooden floors so that doesn’t help she just slides backwards all over the place.

Our baby started crawling properly a couple of days ago but had been sliding on her belly for a good while. She doesn't stop at all! She's mad now to stand when she gets a platform to cling to. We've wooden floors too, which are a definite hindrance!

Glad your night was better caitriona (though it still sounds like a tough night to me)! And deh, your baby did 8 hours, that's fabulous! Its amazing what a few more hours sleep can do for you. Hope you get childcare sorted too

I started back at work myself this week and was very emotional leaving baba. She got on great though! Nice to come home to her and her beaming at you!

And how did mammy find it going back?! Is she at crèche?

• Advertisement

And how did mammy find it going back?! Is she at crèche?

She's booked in for creche for January as I wasn't meant to be going back just yet so my mother is minding her until then. My other daughter is in creche though and loves it. I'm only doing 3 days until Christmas so it's not too bad. I was very emotional first day! Very teary thinking of my munchkins but baba seems to be adapting fine. January could be different though when creche comes around.

Advertisement