Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

And we are still without power, water, heat etc. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

fits wrote: »

Oh no, whereabouts are you, thought you were dublin? Very very difficult with two small babies i am sure

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

fits wrote:

Oh that's awful! How are you coping with the two babies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

fits wrote:

Oh that's tough going. How have you been managing?

Glad I'm breastfeeding anyway. it just came back on this evening. We have a small generator so we're able to pump some water and we have a gas hob. Not having water is the worst. Can cope with the rest.

• Advertisement

So glad to hear its back for you fits, that must have been a tough couple of days. I was only thinking on sunday about how i wished i was still breastfeeding as i stocked up on premixed formula. Lucky you had that generator etc though!!!

Its mad, the panic we all get in over losing these conveneniences cause we are so used to them, it makes those ads on tv about mothers and babies in third world countries with none of those basic necessities much more heartbreaking and relatable doesnt it? Not that we can relate in the slightest mind you, but you know what i mean! Anything involving children is just far more real to me now that i have one.

Cant believe i am writing this post now after thinking about babies in third world countries, but we have started thinking about christmas and presents....

We wont be getting loads of stuff just one or two things and then of course it will be birthdays in february so two lots of presents in a short space of time, trying to think what to get him. What are ye all thinking or have you started thinking along those lines at all?

I was thinking the same greenttc and also how awful it is that companies push formula on mothers with no good access to clean water etc. It was going on in the refugee camps in France too. You do relate a lot more after having children

Re Christmas. I have been looking at getting a wobbel board. But not sure if they'll use it or not. It's expensive but looks like a great open ended toy.

One of the best toys we have is the stacking lighthouse from Ikea by the way. They are always playing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I’m thinking of getting him one of those wee trikes, where you strap them in and push them along, but it eventually converts into a trike they can pedal themselves once they’re old enough.

For his birthday, I’m going to get him one of those wee plastic Wendy houses, which I can use to store all his plastic crap!!

My parents and siblings are putting some money together to get him a new car seat, as he will need to move on soon enough. Other than that, I’m just going to get a couple of small things - definitely one of those backpacks with a lead on it so I can keep a hold of him once he’s on his feet!!

Yeah it is crazy when they are offering formula, unless it is the fact that mothers are not getting enough nutrition themselves but bfing would be so much cleaner and easier.....its all so wrong. My heart really goes out to them.

Oh my god fits, do you mean the stacking cups from ikea, the top one is black like a hat?? My baby loooooooooves that, by far his favourite toy!!! So simple but hours of fun!

Must look up wobble boards, not sure i know what they are!

I thought of one of those trikes too caitriona but then a guy in smyths said they were a waste of money cause they dont fit in peoples cars so you have to be going somewhere from your house and not want to drive to the park and then use it there if you know what i mean, i am not sure i agree with him so am still going to give it thought.

We were so lucky that we were given a wendy house, cosy coupe and some other plastic car things from a friend, i have them all stacked up at the back of the garden and hope to take them out next summer. I reckon they will love the wendy houses! Mine are all a bit faded but dont think the wee man will care too much!

Considered a kitchen but wonder is that something i should leave till a second birthday or next christmas maybe. Maybe a walker would be good as i presume they will be starting to walk then?

So hard to know when all they are into right now is those cups! Oh and he loves a little keyboard that we got him too, anything that makes noise, those cups have been banged together alot!

• Advertisement

We've gone for the trike here, just delivered during the week from Smyth's. Really looking forward to Christmas this year and being able to enjoy eating abd drinking as opposed to being heavily pregnant and in bad for last year!

She loves making noise and banging things together so gonna get some musical bits and a few books.

We're lucky that our local shopping centre has a Santa that will just do the photo with the baby and not charge for a present. €5 for the photo so we'll definitely make that a family day out.

Her aunts have already started asking what to get her so I've just said clothes, she has enough play things for now.

Which one did you get tango? they are on sale at the moment arent they, now would be the time to get it i suppose!!

greenttc wrote:
    Which one did you get tango? they are on sale at the moment arent they, now would be the time to get it i suppose!!

I got the SmarTrike...it was on sale, think it was €70, and then Smyth's were doing €20 off €100 purchase on outdoor toys. I bought a bike for my toddler so it was a good deal in fairness. We live rural so we've loads of room around house and on road to be out with it so hopefully won't need to go in car with it.

We have the stacking cups from Ikea too. That's in granny's house. No the lighthouse. You'll know it when you see it. Would love a kitchen as well but it's probably too early.

This is the wobbel board.

http://www.wobbel.eu/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

A kitchen is a hit from when they can stand so 9-10months in my experience. I’d go for it.

fits wrote: »
    We have the stacking cups from Ikea too. That's in granny's house. No the lighthouse. You'll know it when you see it. Would love a kitchen as well but it's probably too early.

This is the wobbel board.

http://www.wobbel.eu/en/

A I think I do know the thing, is it the stacking rings? Suppose it does look like a lighthouse!! Almost bought that but then implemented restraint level 10 which is needed for all ikea trips! Wish I had got it now!

Never seen that wobbel board before, its like another one of those simple toys that inexplicably get the most use! It is expensive for what it is but definitely looks like it will be a toy that will grow with them.

I am more convinced now about the trike, might head to smyths and have another look at them. Then maybe kitchen for birthday. And if I ever saw a wobbel board on adverts I would probably get that too!

Smaoifs, I agree with the any toys that make noise idea too, and books!!!

Hmmm I’m now not so sure about the trike, and thinking about the kitchen!

I was looking at the smart trikes in smyths on wednesdays. The one I liked was reduced from 109 to 79, but the girl said the sale was ending Wednesday. But we live in a mini mini house with no garden, just an upstairs roof terrace, so I was hoping to store the trike in our car as it is an SUV with a big boot. Hmmmm

I was looking at the smart trikes in smyths on wednesdays. The one I liked was reduced from 109 to 79, but the girl said the sale was ending Wednesday. But we live in a mini mini house with no garden, just an upstairs roof terrace, so I was hoping to store the trike in our car as it is an SUV with a big boot. Hmmmm

Sale ends this wednesday coming or two days ago wednesday? Yeah the one i want is the same price, well i cant decide between two but both the same price. Need to look at them in person i think! Will also need to see if they can be folded up or what, i was only half thinking of them a few weeks back when i was talking to that guy in smyths so didnt ask proper questions.

I have so many big plastic things in my house now caitirona its ridiculous, bouncers, playtile things,a walker someone gave me which is massive but he loves it, a big squashy dog thing. I am in a three bed semi but there is no room here either! Luckily i have a shed and an understairs and a porch to store a bike if needs be.

Where would the kitchen go if you got it, you have to think of that too!

Oh for a big house with many rooms, i am sure all you country mamas have lovely big spacious houses with massive gardens! fits you sound like your on a farm if you had a generator, lucky twins if that is the case, i loved visitng all my uncles farms when i was young and was so jealous of my cousins! Although in fairness they were jealous of my proximity to mcdonalds, not that we got it very often, they still would have to drive over an hour to get close to one!! Doesnt that sound lovely!

caitriona meant to say, there is a birthday to think of too which is soon after christmas so if you grt a trike now kitchen could be birthday or visa versa, i am thinking trike first cause kitchen will be better when they are walking and trike can be used now almost! Maybe thinking like that might help you make up your mind

• Advertisement

I am on a farm but the house we are in is a small farmhouse with separate kitchen and living etc. And no garden. And it's rented. But we are BUILDING!!! Which is mega exciting and will soon have a generous kitchen living area and garden. And I'm afraid I'm a regular attendee of McDonald's drive thru though. When the lads were younger I'd regularly load them up and drive there for a break as they'd both sleep in the car. Still can't drive past one without getting coffee. It's my one frivolous expense.

My husband isn't a farmer but he has a generator for doing jobs with as he is fairly handy.

This is the one I was thinking of getting. It says 10 months but I sat him in it and he pure loved it!

Gonna go back and ask some questions about storing it. If it can’t be made smaller easily then I think it’s a no go as they are all pretty big.

She said the sale was ending two days ago

Ahh is that Liam???

We considered the twin trikes as well. But our lane is hilly and potholey and the roads wouldn't be great for it. And it would be a squeeze in the boot with the buggy even though we have a big boot. Sometimes I wish I bought a seven seater!

Yes that is the boss himself!

How much fun are they getting to be? I can’t believe the new stuff he can do since he finished leap six. He’s constantly imitating - he will copy me when I babble at him, or if I say “where’s he horsie?” He makes clucking sounds. I make a trilling noise and he makes one back by gurgling. He waves bye bye now, and he also plays a wee game where if I say, “bouncey bouncey boo” he starts bouncing around on his bum like a mad man!

He’s currently sat eating his lunch and playing a game with me - he puts his head down to the tray sideways and smiles at me, so I copy him. Then he sits up, and so do I, and does it again. He also understands commands like, “sit up! Lie down! Stand up! Sit down!”. And if you ask him where the light is, he looks up at it, or where the cat is, he looks to him.

They’re so clever!

They’re so clever!

They really are!

If Annalise is on the floor or in her cot and I say up, she raises the arms up to be picked up. She had enough of her bath the other evening so turned to me lifting the arms to get out.

She's a little dancer too! Gives great wiggles when she hears Eastenders! Is almost clapping hands, she brings them together but hasn't learned yet to open her hands. Will look at her hand and wave it in the air so we're almost waving too.

I could watch and listen to her all day!

I got a wooden kitchen from aldi for my almost 2 yo at the time last Xmas. It was a great buy...very very sturdy. It was less than 50e. My wee girl couldn't stand or walk at the time and part of her physio to get her walking was to help her to pull herself up by using a sturdy item of furniture to help her. We used the kitchen and it worked a treat.

This is the one I was thinking of getting. It says 10 months but I sat him in it and he pure loved it!

Wee cutie! That's the one I got. They look class.

Thats the one i wanted too caitriona, i like the one beside it too, the vanilaa one but they are all sold out. Liam is gorgeous, little happy face, he looks delighted with it!!!

The aldi kitchens are out next week!!! Along with other wooden toys that look very good, think i will be outside their door at 9am next thursday! So would you say the aldi kitchen is better than the ikea one then, its just that the ikea one has a double oven and microwave like our kitchen which i thought was cute but is a baby really going to care or realise that!? I am being a bit silly. So it is nice and sturdy and is it neat, like does it come out very far? God, ye have me thinking again, birthday present could be bought in october!!!!!

Fits that is just soooo exciting to be building your own house, imagine being able to make a house just as you want instead of making an existing house work for you, that would be my dream!

Despite my complaints about city living i am lucky to be near everything i need and parks and even footpaths etc ( and yes the drive through mcdonalds which i also used when wee man was very small!!!) and i think that trike could work well considering all the even paths around me....

They are definitely at their cutest age, definitely. Our lad plays plays peekaboo, imitates things i do and say, gives kisses and shakes hands and he is not bad for posing for photos either, which is no surprise the amoutn i take!!

No crawling here yet though, he is getting onto his knees while lying on his tummy but not getting anywhere yet. I think i need to up the tummy time!

Go have a look at the aldi stuff ladies, just google it and you will see articles with pictures, i couldnt see it on their own website!

OK I’m sold, I’m getting the kitchen!!! We have a small bit of space in our kitchen so can put it there. I wonder would you need to be down super early at 9? Although we have swimming at 10.30 so wouldn’t get there til 12.30 at the earliest if I don’t go at 9... Rush hour traffic ughhh!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah the kitchen wasn't on the Aldi appp. Was wondering when it would be out. I'll be heading in too just visited a friends and twin 1 was playing away with a toy kitchen there.

Advertisement