Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

OK I’m sold, I’m getting the kitchen!!! We have a small bit of space in our kitchen so can put it there. I wonder would you need to be down super early at 9? Although we have swimming at 10.30 so wouldn’t get there til 12.30 at the earliest if I don’t go at 9... Rush hour traffic ughhh!!!!

I was there after 9 last year for it but they still had them two weeks later! But I'm not in Dublin so maybe we're different up here! Hard to tell. I was very impressed with mine I must say. I don't know the IKEA one but it has great reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Yeah it is so hard to know about timings, now that you say it, they must have had kitchens a few months ago that i saw for a few weeks after in my local aldi.....

But then there is so much hype about this "toy event" and christmas is so soon.

Now i am creating hype too.....!!

Think i will get there for 9 cause otherwise it will be after twelve with nap times etc will have to really think about the kitchen, depending on what article you read there are two types of kitchen a normal one and a deluxe one....! Maybe i will measure up with the ikea one and that will be my decider, i am going to put it at the end of am island that we walk around so whichever one has the narrowest depth will be the one i get. Want to get a few other bits anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just told my husband that I’m gonna get him a kitchen and he’s adamant that he is not having a kitchen because it’s for girls?!?! Like point blank refusing. Anyone else’s husband react like that?

I’m gonna get it anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just told my husband that I’m gonna get him a kitchen and he’s adamant that he is not having a kitchen because it’s for girls?!?! Like point blank refusing. Anyone else’s husband react like that?

I’m gonna get it anyway!!

Sigh. Gordon Ramsay, Neven Maguire, Derry Clarke. Etc etc etc

Definitely just go get it caitriona, good god what decade is your husband living in at all? Did you marry a really old guy or something? I dont like encouraging conflict at all but i am really glad you are disagreeing with him on this one!

I plan on even getting my son dolls etc if he takes a liking to them and my husband knows it. It is nothing to do with my son possibly being gay or anything because honestly i hope he isnt cause it seems the world isnt ready for full acceptance and i dont want anything to be unnecessarily hard for him. But i will support whatever he wants to do as long as he is passionate about it and that includes nurturing and promoting a caring or domestic or "soft" side in him.

Show your husband this post! And fits post!

• Advertisement

Actually i kinda want to retract my paragraph above, he doesnt have to be passionate about domestic and caring stuff for me to encourage it, they are vital life skills for this age and i will be encouraging it regardless!

Off the cuff parenting! Ha!

Completely agree !

My husband is out this evening for second time this week. It's a work commitment. I really find the dinner and bedtime thing difficult in my own. Don't know how single parents do it!

fits wrote: »
    Completely agree !

My husband is out this evening for second time this week. It's a work commitment. I really find the dinner and bedtime thing difficult in my own. Don't know how single parents do it!

Most single parents don’t have twins, to be fair! Although I suppose they usually have kids of different ages.

Do you put them both down at the same time? Do you feed them to sleep? I’d say BLW is a godsend with twins, as it saves on double the spoon feeds! Although how you’ve the stamina to clean two high chairs, two faces, four hands and change many outfits, multiple times a day, is beyond me!

My oldest boy got a kitchen 13 years ago when he was a tot! They come in unisex colours. Little boys will love and play with kitchens as much as girls. I think they're a great unisex toy.

greenttc wrote: »
    Actually i kinda want to retract my paragraph above, he doesnt have to be passionate about domestic and caring stuff for me to encourage it, they are vital life skills for this age and i will be encouraging it regardless!

Off the cuff parenting! Ha!

See I feel the same. I’m very conscious of gender stereotypes and I don’t want him to be confined by them in the sense that because he’s a boy, he can’t show his emotions, or because he’s a boy, he can’t play with certain toys or have certain hobbies.

How do you plan to encourage these skills? They are so so important, but I’m not sure how best to encourage them. I’ll also have an old-fashioned husband on my hands who will be telling him what he can and can’t do. He’s from a rural background and grew up obsessed with tractors and combines and engines and stuff, and rugby and soccer too, and he very much wants Liam to be “a boys’ boy”.

He is insisting instead of a kitchen that we find him some sort of work-bench/toolbox combo to buy for him!!!

• Advertisement

fits wrote:

It must be really hard on your own. Its just crazy here in the evenings when they're tired and cranky but at least there's reasoning with the toddler. I can't imagine what having two 9 month olds at the same time must be like to get to bed.

greenttc wrote:

Great point!

See I feel the same. I’m very conscious of gender stereotypes and I don’t want him to be confined by them in the sense that because he’s a boy, he can’t show his emotions, or because he’s a boy, he can’t play with certain toys or have certain hobbies.

How do you plan to encourage these skills? They are so so important, but I’m not sure how best to encourage them. I’ll also have an old-fashioned husband on my hands who will be telling him what he can and can’t do. He’s from a rural background and grew up obsessed with tractors and combines and engines and stuff, and rugby and soccer too, and he very much wants Liam to be “a boys’ boy”.

He is insisting instead of a kitchen that we find him some sort of work-bench/toolbox combo to buy for him!!!

You know there is a tool bench in aldi too, is there enough room, funds, for both? Both are good skills in fairness!

I am not sure I have a plan about how to bring him up emotionally etc other than to just raise him as I was raised and encourage various things like activities and good communication, but I dont think I will know how to do it till I am in it, more of the winging it!!!

I am very very lucky that I have a husband who cooks and cleans almost more than I do at times I am ashamed to say so I am hoping that rubs off in our son! My husband is really conscious of how boys are too, he hoped our son wouldnt have red hair or glasses because he is afraid of potential teasing, I just cant see that that would happen but I am a girl so what do I know!!!

Sometimes I wish my husband had some of your husbands qualities though caitriona, he hasn't a clue about cars or diy or anything like that, couldnt even change a lightbulb and its just that he was never exposed to it growing up so at least your son will have that. My son will be relying on me for his education in diy, its like the typical roles are reversed in our house! Apart from the sport stuff that is definitely my husband's area!

Your husband might be winging it too and had ideals in his head but as time goes on hopefully they will grow and change. Especially as he gets to know other children and dads who may be more aligned to your way of thinking!

Fits fair play to you getting two through the evening routine!! I have to get mine to bed on my own maybe twice a week and they feel like the longest days ever and its just the one! I just work towards nap times every day, its the only way to get through it, you are amazing doing it with two.

Same to you tango but I am hoping it's a bit easier with a toddler you can negotiate with like you said!

Do you put them both down at the same time? Do you feed them to sleep? I’d say BLW is a godsend with twins, as it saves on double the spoon feeds! Although how you’ve the stamina to clean two high chairs, two faces, four hands and change many outfits, multiple times a day, is beyond me!

I feed them to sleep lying down. I just don't know how I'd manage if not breastfeeding. They nod off really quickly nowadays. AND I usually have some time to myself until10 pm. I don't do much in the evenings. My husband does all the laundry floor washing etc ( and he's good st diy). He also has undisturbed nights for the most part so fair is fair!

Unfortunately twin 1 has terrible issues with constipation these days. Despite getting laxative daily and trying to get water into him at every opportunity. He was screaming in pain for a while last night but it settled again. I was praying twin2 wouldn't wake up. I was on the phone to VHI nurseline this morning. It's a good service.

fits wrote: »

Unfortunately twin 1 has terrible issues with constipation these days. Despite getting laxative daily and trying to get water into him at every opportunity. He was screaming in pain for a while last night but it settled again. I was praying twin2 wouldn't wake up. I was on the phone to VHI nurseline this morning. It's a good service.

What advice did the nurse give? Never though of ringing them!

My son is the same the past two days even though food hasn't changed and he drinks a good bit of water. I had an ellas "purple one" pouch which is just prunes, I had bought and kept it to use for medicinal purposes and it seems to have done the trick! Not something I want to give him continually though!

We got the trike this morning!! The excitement! Didnt go for the smart trike dazzle like the rest of you (it was the ine I preffered in the website), wee man seemed to prefer the "comfort" one and I found it easier to maneuver for me, far too many to choose from!

They had loads of kitchens up there too, they cost a fortune and were all plastic, I would actually rather the aldi or ikea ones and they are the cheaper ones too, great!

Christmas mostly sorted, feels good!

Meant to also say that the kitchens and all associated accoutrements like pots and pans and toy food were all in a girls section which was kinda annoying, no wonder dads would be hesitant when going to buy one!

+1 on the prunes. We put some prune juice in his sippy cup for a couple of days and ended up regretting it - let’s just say he went from one extreme to the other and we were keen to get it stopped haha

Yay greenttc on Christmas getting sorted! Now onto buying pressies for everyone else eh!

What’s everyone doing for Christmas? I have never ever missed a Christmas at home with my family (our first married Christmas we even went to our own families, and last year he came to my family as I was 36 weeks pregnant).... but this year we are all going to my in-laws in Wales waaaaaaahhhhh!!!! I’m sure they will make an effort to make it lovely for us all, and Liam will be happy out wherever, but it’s my first ever Christmas away from home, and none of my siblings have ever missed it either! Think I’ll spend the day in mourning lol. We are over for 10 days so it’ll be a good break, if a little intense with the MIL at times! Plenty of brisk winter walks on the beach may be in order!

+1 on the prunes. We put some prune juice in his sippy cup for a couple of days and ended up regretting it - let’s just say he went from one extreme to the other and we were keen to get it stopped haha

Yay greenttc on Christmas getting sorted! Now onto buying pressies for everyone else eh!

What’s everyone doing for Christmas? I have never ever missed a Christmas at home with my family (our first married Christmas we even went to our own families, and last year he came to my family as I was 36 weeks pregnant).... but this year we are all going to my in-laws in Wales waaaaaaahhhhh!!!! I’m sure they will make an effort to make it lovely for us all, and Liam will be happy out wherever, but it’s my first ever Christmas away from home, and none of my siblings have ever missed it either! Think I’ll spend the day in mourning lol. We are over for 10 days so it’ll be a good break, if a little intense with the MIL at times! Plenty of brisk winter walks on the beach may be in order!

Staying in dublin for Christmas here! We were the same as you, always went our seperate ways at christmas even after getting married and always said we would do that till we had children! The plan is to always stay at home and go to my parents for dinner cause as a child I hated being down the country on christmas day either from the night before (not waking in my own bed) or travelling on christmas day ( all the toys were left at home). Saying that though my husband has a massive family with lots of kids so christmas would actually be more exciting with his family! So we may rethink that in the future!

Wales will be lovely for Christmas, always think it would be interesting to see what other families do especially in another country! At least you can get out for walks when the in laws start to grate on you!!!

That's definitely the worst part of being married...the Christmas dilemma....everyone wants to be at home with their own families. We too went our separate ways at Christmas before babies. But I live next door to my parents so I always host them and my siblings and I can't imagine not being home at Christmas. I'm able to use my 15 year old as a very valid excuse to stay at home...he can't be taken away from his dad to travel to my in laws and I can't be away from him either so my bottom line before we got married is that I wouldn't move at Christmas! I sound incredibly selfish don't I!

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote:
    Christmas mostly sorted, feels good!

Me too...just my teenager now to sort and no idea where to start!

So my first postpartum period arrived this morning. Told my husband and the first thing he said was, “great, when can we start trying for number two?!”.

I told him that as soon as number one is sleeping through the night. If he wants to have another one before then, he can do all the nights! I was so exhausted when pregnant that I needed like 12-14 hours sleep most nights... and that’s without another baba to care for!

Men are funny.

I told him that as soon as number one is sleeping through the night. If he wants to have another one before then, he can do all the nights! I was so exhausted when pregnant that I needed like 12-14 hours sleep most nights... and that’s without another baba to care for!

How is he sleeping now for you anyway? I feel this past week has seen my baba click into place with two good naps and bed at 7.30 until 7.30-8 next morning. Probably just jinxed her though!

Oh the pregnancy tiredness was unreal! I remember being able to sleep at the drop of a hat those first three months. I had horrendous morning sickness with my first and second but very little, if any, with my third so that definitely made it easier, especially dealing with a toddler at the time!

So my first postpartum period arrived this morning. Told my husband and the first thing he said was, “great, when can we start trying for number two?!”.

I'll race you to get number two conceived :p

I think i am just in the mindset of getting all the hard baby stuff done and dusted by having number two so soon although in saying that i have been very lucky with number one so far so dont think i am fully thinking of the potential tiredness!

Ya know, if you were pregnant before christmas you may not be up for travelling for christmas and would have to stay at home....!! Somethng to think about eh?

God, my period came back months ago, i think i was still even breastfeeding at the time but i had gone to combination feeding so that probaby didnt help, its such an inconvenience having it back isnt it? Not that mine bother me too much, but still!

No chance of mine coming back for a while I'd say! Although prolactin levels do fall around the year mark whether or not you are feeding.

My appetite is still crazy. I'm stuck at a stone over my pre pregnancy weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

greenttc wrote:
    God, my period came back months ago, i think i was still even breastfeeding at the time but i had gone to combination feeding so that probaby didnt help, its such an inconvenience having it back isnt it? Not that mine bother me too much, but still!

I got mine back the week after her christening so must have been 11-12 weeks. Been on the pill ever since so hasn't been too bad. I came off the pill a year before we started trying and my periods could go from 26 days to 40 days, ended up using an app to track them which helped with ovulation days when we were trying. Funny though, I suspected I was pregnant even though I wasn't late but didn't want to jinx it so waited till I was late before taking the test.

How is he sleeping now for you anyway? I feel this past week has seen my baba click into place with two good naps and bed at 7.30 until 7.30-8 next morning. Probably just jinxed her though!

Oh the pregnancy tiredness was unreal! I remember being able to sleep at the drop of a hat those first three months. I had horrendous morning sickness with my first and second but very little, if any, with my third so that definitely made it easier, especially dealing with a toddler at the time!

Ah sleep is back to being woeful. The longest stretch of sleep I got last night was 45 mins. I’m in work the last three days, so although he is getting expressed milk during the day, he wakes more at night to feed too.

I also find that I get so wound up about how little sleep I’m getting, that I can’t sleep even if he does sleep for a couple of hours. It will take me 60-90 mins to get back to sleep... by which time he is waking again.

I definitely can’t do this pregnant!

How’s everybody doing? Have ye all had the developmental checkup with the PHN now? Any crawlers?

We’ve just had two great nights, after the horror story that was Sunday night! Only woke twice on Monday, and just the once last night! I know it won’t last, but I’m enjoying it !

How’s everybody doing? Have ye all had the developmental checkup with the PHN now? Any crawlers?

We're still not called for developmental check! Must chase up phn one of these days. We're also still waiting on the first tooth! No sign of anything yet. Crawling like mad around the house and standing and trying to climb, she's so so busy!

Ye must be delighted with the sleep last few nights. Long may that last.

• Advertisement

No crawling here yet but plenty of rolling to get around! Id say crawling will happen soon! Want it to happen soon but at the same time I dont cause looking after a crawler will be much harder I imagine!!!

Was just called for my developmental check this week, the check will be in early november.

Just one chomper tooth for my wee man! I think the second one will be here soon, he doesn't seem too bothered by it!

Advertisement