Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Hi all, I haven’t been here in a while. Great to see everyone doing so well. But you’re all putting me to shame planning Christmas and even birthday presents already. I haven’t even started thinking about that.

Had our developmental check today which went well. She’s jumped two centiles for height and weight so they want to see her again in January just to make sure she’s not getting too big. I was prepared for a talk like that so it didn’t bother me too much. My girl is on 3 6oz bottles and 3 meals a day. The vast majority of what she eats is stuff I’ve made myself, no added sugar, as little processed stuff as possible. So I know that she’s eating well. The PHN was very nice and suggested I reduce her bottles a bit but I don’t really think there’s much she can drop. Everything I read says babies this age need to be on 16-20oz a day. My girl is on 18. I can reduce it to 16 but no more than that.

Other than that it all went well. No crawling here either yet. It’s funny though, if something is just out of her reach she finds a way of getting to it. She’s doing some kind of shuffling or stretching that means she always gets what she wants.

Lots of changes in the last few weeks. She’s suddenly grown a ton of hair, she understands “up” and lifts her arms to be picked up, lots of new babbling noises, she’s jyst starting to wave. It’s lovely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Ally pally, maybe I am wrong but I take some of what the phn's say with a pinch of salt. That sounds like a fine amount of milk for your baby to be taking, mine is on 7oz four times a day!! He would scream the house down if he didnt get that at the moment! So I will let him reduce it himself, he already reduced from five eights so he will do it again I am presuming. Milk is their main source of nutrition right now anyway supposedly! I think just do what you feel is right!

I interested to see how my lad does now in his developmental check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Not called for developmental check yet. Is it around 9 months or will they wait til she turns 9 months?
    We're on 3 meals a day with 3 6oz bottles and sometimes an extra 3 if she needs help on 1 of her naps.
    She is getting closer and closer to a full 12 hour sleep, we have some nights with the odd whinge but her dummy and teddy settle her straight away TG.
    Think we're in for a bumpy night tonight though, she's got 5 of her teeth and I think there's another 1 or 2 cutting, she's very whingy this evening, fingers in the mouth the whole time and wasn't happy up, on the floor or anywhere. Bathed her and put her to bed a bit early with some calpol so hopefully we'll have a good night.

Not crawling yet but she is somehow getting around the floor! She'll sit between my feet and stretch for her toys and end up out in the middle of the floor. I think she lifts a bum cheek at a time to get where she wants!

I agree Green. There’s not a lot I can cut down and even the phn was a bit vague when I asked her exactly how I do that. She said something along the lines of how when she’s over a year she’ll need to be on a pint of cows milk per day. But she’s on less than a pint of formula now, so not sure how that was relevant.

Smaoifs, I’ve heard the timing of this check varies depending on the phn in your area. Some do it at 7 months, some at 8 and some at 9. Hopefully you’ll be called soon and all will be well.

Other than the measurements, she just asked lots of questions - is she babbling, does she respond to her name, does she respond to her reflection, things like that. She had a wooden block that she held out to see if my girl would take and if she could pass it between hands. Then she dropped the block to see that she responds to sound. So all quite basic things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yeah, the check varies by area! Ours was at 8 months, but she brought him back on Tuesday (he’s 9 months today woooo!) to double-check his motor skills and height/weight, as he has gone quite a bit off his growth curve.

She was happy enough this time though. Said to bring him in to be weighed again at 1 year if I want to, and next proper check at 18 months.

No crawling here. I’m on a fb group with some mums who were due in the same week as me, and one of the babies is WALKING ACROSS THE ROOM ON HER OWN now. Mental!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah our appointment will be at 9 months, time is going by so fast that I hadnt even thought about it properly!

Walking caitriona?? Wow, I have a niece who is 10.5 months and has started walking but 9 months is very impressive!

Just back from aldi, got my few bits from the toy sale, it was just mental with people practially clambering over one another to get stuff! I just stood back and let them at it, there was more than enough stock for the amount of people there. Then the crowd cleared and I was able to get my things without getting an elbow in the face. Dont think I would like to be doing that too often!

Walking already!! Don’t think I’d be ready for that. I love seeing her learn new things but it’ll be a whole new scary world once she starts crawling and walking. Kind of glad we have a few more weeks and months before we have to lock down and baby-proof the whole house.

ally_pally wrote: »
    Walking already!! Don’t think I’d be ready for that. I love seeing her learn new things but it’ll be a whole new scary world once she starts crawling and walking. Kind of glad we have a few more weeks and months before we have to lock down and baby-proof the whole house.

Oh god the baby proofing, there is sooooooo much to be done. We really dont have a baby friendly house.

What was I thinking getting cream couches and solid wood floors?? Not to mention all my nice lamps with long pullable leads for plugs. Aggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

greenttc wrote:
    Oh god the baby proofing, there is sooooooo much to be done. We really dont have a baby friendly house.

What was I thinking getting cream couches and solid wood floors?? Not to mention all my nice lamps with long pullable leads for plugs. Aggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

We're the same! Our house is old and small and already cluttered but the lucky part for us is that our stairs is in the sitting room. We'll hopefully be moved out to a bigger house in the next 2 years.

My husband is into his gadgets and it sometimes feels like our house is covered in wires, plugs and leads. All very grabbable by tiny hands. And chewable!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

No crawling here. I’m on a fb group with some mums who were due in the same week as me, and one of the babies is WALKING ACROSS THE ROOM ON HER OWN now. Mental!!!!

Wow that is young. Mine is kinda starting to walk with the furniture but its more throwing herself against it and dragging herself along than walking but I don't think she'll be too long before she takes off! My oldest was 11 months, the next was 2 years 5 months so i think she'll be following her big brother rather than her sister!

greenttc wrote:
    Just back from aldi, got my few bits from the toy sale, it was just mental with people practially clambering over one another to get stuff! I just stood back and let them at it, there was more than enough stock for the amount of people there. Then the crowd cleared and I was able to get my things without getting an elbow in the face. Dont think I would like to be doing that too often!

Sounds scary! Did you go for kitchen? They seemed to have a great selection of toys this year

ally_pally wrote:
    My husband is into his gadgets and it sometimes feels like our house is covered in wires, plugs and leads. All very grabbable by tiny hands. And chewable!!

Our baba loooooves cables and weve had to rearrange the furniture to hide the broadband and other cables. I gave her a little toy Henry hoover which has a cable like a real one. That kept her happy a while!

Sounds scary! Did you go for kitchen? They seemed to have a great selection of toys this year

No kitchen, I decided I want to get the lidl one, the shape of it suits us better I think. And it also means I dont have to buy it till next year.( I am on my unpaid section if mat leave which I am finding tough!!!)

I got things for nieces and nephews like the pirate ship and doll house and little carry around princess house and the farm for my lad, they really are so so cute and well made, was happy I got them when I opened it at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

We got the kitchen. Going to stash it away now until Christmas I think. Maybe twin 2 will be able to stand at it by then. Hes getting stronger and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Just back from 4 nights in New York. God I needed the break but was super guilty. Feel like I’ve forgotten everything about her since I left!
    She is crawling all over the place and saying dadadada but I don’t think it actually means dad!! (I’m telling myself that anyway!) can’t believe how much she learned while I was gone. Nearly at end of leap 6 thank god.

I’m back to work the 24th November. Dreading it in one way but also looking forward to adult company again. Haven’t thought about xmas presents yet for the baby or the threenager. May get moving on that

Oh wow, New York must have been amazing. Although you’re probably coming back as exhausted as when you left!! Don’t feel one bit guilty. We all need a break. Parenting is hard work 24/7. Of course we wouldn’t change it, but you absolutely need some time for yourself and a break too.

We’re having a terrible time of it with sleep these days. I’m guessing it’s a mix of being in the middle of a leap and teething. She point blank refuses to sleep in her cot, waking screaming every 30 minutes, refusing to nap. My poor husband spent last night sleeping on the floor of her bedroom to rock her back to sleep when she woke. It was less disruptive than one of us getting out of bed every half hour. I’ll be doing it tonight if it’s another bad night. So because it was such a bad night she’s unbelievably cranky today.

But on the other hand I can see her learning new skills. Yesterday she started babbling with consonants. Her usual “oooaweeeouu” babbling has become “amamababadada” which is lovely. Just, it’d be lovely to hear it after a proper night’s sleep!

Yeah our wee lad is the same with naps ally pally. The past week or so he just wont take proper naps, he is so very tired but cries when I put him in his cot to go for his nap.

Thankfully nights are as good as always but I am not surprised cause he musst be wrecked after not sleeping all day!

Four nights in new york deh, god I am soooo jealous!!!! Would love a bit of time away especially before I go back to work on two months (where did the time go?????)

It would be lovely to have a bit of time that isnt consumed by baby minding but saying that I would find it weird too, not sure I would feel guilty but I would really miss him! Sometimes, although I just try and get from nap time to nap time to get a little break, I really miss him for the hour he is asleep and look forward to him waking up only to wish he was asleep again an hour after he wakes! A bit mad I know!

Not sure we will be going on any holidays, I am afraid to book anything for 2018 incase I do happen to get lucky and get pregnant again. Its stupid to put stuff off in the hopes of getting pregnant but still!

• Advertisement

We’re the same with naps here. Used to go down so easy now roars. I’m wondering can she stay awake for longer. How long are ye going between naps now??

Yes I will admit that the break was lovely and not having to pack a bag just to go to the shop or just strolling around not worrying where the threenager was. I did miss them madly but she’s been a nightmare since I came back with naps so I wish I was back there now!!!

We’re generally 3 hours between naps now with just two naps a day. Usually she’ll nap for a total of around 2 or 2.5 hours a day but these days it’s an hour at best. I’d be fine with that if her nights were settled. But they’re not. Last night was a good night but I was still up three times. This is a baby who was going a solid uninterrupted 12 hours a few weeks ago.

Yea we were doing 3 hours happily but now she fights it for up to half an hour so I’m wondering if I should stretch it out. Her bed time is getting later though because of the later naps.
    Maybe it’s just from being messed around while I was away and then the madness of the bank holiday weekend. Hopefully get her back on track now this week.

Hope everyone is doing well

My girl has fought and fought taking naps in her cot recently. She turns over onto her stomach, gets annoyed, I turn her back onto her back and she immediately turns over onto her stomach again, gets annoyed, etc etc. So while I’m all for instilling good sleep habits I’m an even greater believer in doing whatever works. So she’s had lots of naps in her bouncer chair, in her buggy and wherever else works recently.

Deh, is your little one able to nap anywhere else that might work for you? Might be something worth trying, but of course every baby will be different in how and where they sleep.

Last night was an improvement thankfully although she woke for the day at 7am which is around an hour and a half earlier than usual. I’m sure the clocks changing has her all mixed up. She went to sleep really easily tonight so crossing my fingers we’re getting back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We are over in the uk for six days visiting the in-laws, and as usual, baba’s sleep is even more awful than it is back home. He’s up 4-5 times a night, whereas we were down to 2 wakeups before we left, and sometimes even just one. He will be really unsettled again when we get back too.

It’s hard because we try to go and visit every 4-6 weeks. I feel guilty if we don’t go over as it means they’re not getting to see him, but it’s getting more and more difficult for baby and for me! My husband won’t entertain the idea of going over less.

That’s tough Catriona. Could you alternate visits for a while so that they come and visit you every second time. That’d be only every 8-12 weeks he’d be disrupted?

We're in the horrors at the moment as baba has a terrible wee cough. Doc said nothing we can give her so we've to ride it out. We got virtually no sleep last night and we're like zombies this evening after a day's work and bracing ourselves for another rough night. We're gonna do it in shifts though so hopefully we'll get a few hours each. Its so hard.

I know what you mean caitriona. My in-laws live on other side of country from us but its just too much to drag the baby down too often so we haven't visited in months. My husband gets down on his own or with the 2 year old as she's easier to transport and entertain. They travel to us when they can too and they understand how hard it is to travel with a busy baby. In a year or two it'll be easier hopefully.

Oh good god, mister is on the move big time, he gets from one side of the room to the other in seconds, he has tried pulling coffee tables and cabinets on top of himself, throws have all been pulled off couches, lowdown shelves have been stripped bare, and all of this overnight. Utter chaos!

I didnt like the idea of a playpen cause they look like mini prisons but i think i might be changing my mind. Any recomemdations or suggestions otherwise? I am a little bit shocked, gone are the days of short bouts of unsupervised play, things just got way harder!

Tango have you tried those calpol plug ins? Dont think they are particularly medicinal and they wont cure a cold but i do think they help with sleeping while baby has a cold, might be worth a go, you would try anything wouldnt you? Hope last night wasnt too bad.

Caitriona that is a tough situation, my husbands family are nto in dublin so we have to travel too, i feel bad that baby doesnt get to see that side of the family as much so we generally make some efforts to get to see them but if the time isnt right or i dont think it is good for baby i just say no and we dont go. Baby comes first is my rule, no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have a massive playpen Ina safe room greenttc. We just have to with the two. Could you section off part of a room with no hazards in reach?

I seem to have got a job starting in December. It's great but I'm dreading it also. Absolutely terrified.

Advertisement