Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Oh god green, that sounds horrific!!!! I am dreading that. Had you already babyproofed, or are you frantically trying to catch up with him? I’ve not thought much about baby pens as we don’t have the space, but I’ve seen these moveable metal round things that you can enclose the baby in with their toys, but then can also use it to guard the fire, fence off the stairs, etc. And then it just folds up smaller. Thinking about getting one of those as it’s versatile.

We are next over at Christmas for 9 or 10 days. Usually I try to pick up a few days work over here, and we could do with the money, but there’s no way I’m doing it when his sleep is this awful! Then after Christmas, they are visiting us over his birthday and we are going away in March for my 30th, so we won’t be here again til Easter. He will be 14 months by then so please god he might be sleeping a bit better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

We dont have a massive house so a seperate room for baby isnt really an option, he will be in the sitting room most of the time, the thoughts of a big permenant cot thing being there is awful to me but i spuppose i gotta accept that is how things are going to be, Sectioning off a bit might be an idea, may not look as out of place. Did you use something like a room divider? Like the baby dan ones?

That is brilliant about the job, is it something totally brand new, like you are not going back to a job you had before babies? You will naturally be a bit nervous but it will be very refreshing too. I am considering a total career change, having time to think during maternity leave has made me totlly dread gojng to my old job, the work life balance is good but its just not what i want to be doing. I think i am a bit mad!

Yes catriona that is what i was thinking of when fits said about sectioning off a room, those circle pen things. I am totally playing catch up, i actually am now thinking baby proofing will be impossible, there is more than i even imagined to be cleared away, more than we can possibly do. I mean who knew coffee tables could be dangerous, ours are narrow tall tables, there are three or four of them and he is pulling the legs of them and they are very close to toppling on top of him, very scary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've been considering a total career change too as I've been on a non stop series of short term contracts. This is more of the same, but it's also family friendly and flexible. The salary is lower than I have ever been paid -with ten years experience- sigh. But we are building a house and it works in every other way.

Yeah we have a babydan room divider and another brand playpen. I can then separate them and have both in safe place. Our rooms are small too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

fits wrote:
    I seem to have got a job starting in December. It's great but I'm dreading it also. Absolutely terrified.

That's great news! I'm sure you're terrified especially as its completely new but you'll be grand. I was dreading facing work too but now I'm back a month or so, I'm enjoying it. And being able to drink a cup of coffee uninterrupted and without having to drag the baby away from the forbidden corners for the millionth time....bliss!

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote:
    Tango have you tried those calpol plug ins? Dont think they are particularly medicinal and they wont cure a cold but i do think they help with sleeping while baby has a cold, might be worth a go, you would try anything wouldnt you? Hope last night wasnt too bad.

Yeah, we had it on last night and propped her up on a pillow and she slept much better thankfully. She's still barking today but back to her super busy busy self. We've discovered that she has two teeth all of a sudden....probably the root cause of the sickness.

She's walking with the furniture as well so she's just flying it at the minute and very hard to watch.

Just home to Dublin and praying for a better night tonight! While we were away, my parents stayed in our house and my dad did a wee bit of DIY - he’s 9 months old but his nursery is finally finished yay!!!

Any tips for a baby who hates the car? He roars and roars, which isn’t like him as he’s such a happy chappy. I usually sit in the back with him to entertain him, and he has toys etc, but still protests loudly. I think he’s bored. He wailed for over an hour this evening.... at one point I took off my seatbelt and got on all fours over his car seat to breastfeed him out of desperation to help him sleep!!! Looked like a crazy woman (and it didn’t even work!)

Any tips for a baby who hates the car? He roars and roars, which isn’t like him as he’s such a happy chappy. I usually sit in the back with him to entertain him, and he has toys etc, but still protests loudly. I think he’s bored. He wailed for over an hour this evening.... at one point I took off my seatbelt and got on all fours over his car seat to breastfeed him out of desperation to help him sleep!!! Looked like a crazy woman (and it didn’t even work!)

The lengths we go too to try to settle the babies! My toddler hated the car too until she went forward facing at about a year old or whenever she hit 9kg. That made a huge difference as she hated not being able to see us and see out. We've the car DVD now for long journeys but our smaller babies probably aren't old enough for that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

What type of car seat is he in? The change in my niece when she was moved from the maxi cosi to the Graco milestone was amazing. She was around the 9/10 months when she moved seats and it looks like her upset was to do with the seat being too small for her, even though she still fitted in it. She had so much more room when she was moved and was a lot happier.

smaoifs wrote: »
    What type of car seat is he in? The change in my niece when she was moved from the maxi cosi to the Graco milestone was amazing. She was around the 9/10 months when she moved seats and it looks like her upset was to do with the seat being too small for her, even though she still fitted in it. She had so much more room when she was moved and was a lot happier.

He’s in a rear-facing silver cross. I don’t think it’s the most comfortable seat in the world, but he’s been unhappy in the car since he was only a few weeks old, and he had much more room in it then!

Maybe forward-facing would help, although I think a woman in a baby shop told me last year that new regs are coming in where they’ll have to be rearward facing until they’re much older?!. I’m also going to change brands. I’m looking to get a new one around Christmas - does anyone have any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Maybe forward-facing would help, although I think a woman in a baby shop told me last year that new regs are coming in where they’ll have to be rearward facing until they’re much older?!. I’m also going to change brands. I’m looking to get a new one around Christmas - does anyone have any recommendations?

I got the Graco Milestone when it was on offer in Halfords. As well as my sister having it, it got great reviews online which swung it for me. It will do her from now up until 12 years/36kg.
    I think the rear facing is recommended here but law in the UK.

I’ll be keeping mine rear facing as long as possible. It’s much safer in a collision. The axkid minikid is the seat I have my eye on at present and it’s good for 9-25 kg. but the lads will stay in their maxi costs for another while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

We finally, after months and months of drooling and chewing and biting, finally have our first tooth. Hallelujah!!

ally_pally wrote: »
    We finally, after months and months of drooling and chewing and biting, finally have our first tooth. Hallelujah!!

Yay!!!! Was it a bottom one? Milestone!

Liam slept 7.30-6 last night. Thought he might have died! 8 hours sleep for me for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Yes, a bottom one. We could see the shape of her top teeth through her gums, looking like they were about to cut through so I was convinced we’d have top teeth first. But, as always, she surprises us.

So glad Liam and you had such a good night. Here’s hoping it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

How’s everyone doing?? All is good here at the minute. Has throat infection last week but seems to be over it now. Crawling like a mad thing. Pulling herself up on everything. Could find her anywhere & babbling away.
    Her brother just loves her at the minute and now that she’s moving he can ‘play’ with her more. Great for giving me 5 mins!!

She will not fall asleep on her own anymore though. As soon as I leave she is standing up in the cot so I just stand beside the cot until she nods off.

The last 2 nights have been great. Hope I’m not jinxing it now!!
    Delighted for you catrionaic that it’s improving

Wow, sounds like you have a real wee mover on your hands! Still no crawling here at all. He can’t seem to get from a to b at all! I reckon he’s just a late mover though. I went straight to walking and skipped crawling, so maybe he will do the same.

He’s been puking and diarrhoea since yday morning. Can’t keep anything down. But if he’s not fed, he won’t vomit, and he seems in good form. Idk what’s going on, but my washing machine is on constantly!

Winter vomiting bug? I’ve had it since Friday. And it’s dragging on. Thankfully the babies haven’t succumbed ( yet anyway)! I still haven’t got my appetite back which is no joke when feeding twins.

My lads are sleeping well too. Although not all the way through. Twin 1 is practicing balancing without holding on. I’m fairly sure he will walk soon enough. Twin 2 is getting around a bit more but no sign of crawling either.

Oh no lots of sick babie and one sick mama on here.... feel sorry for everyone!

Hope everyone gets better soon, everything is hard enough for both babies and mums without being sick!

Our wee man is still getting around, no crawling yet but plenty of rolling and sliding. As i said before nothing is safe!

We have four teeth now, all different shapes and sizes and some are crooked, i know they are just baby teeth but i can see braces in his future!

Im terms of car seat, he has been out of his baby car seat for a good long while. I got the joie spin 360 which is supposed to go up to age four but not sure it will last that long. I love it though,so easy to put him into with no twisting to get across, you just twirl the chair!

How did halloween go for everyone, our wee lad dressed as a skeleton,not too exciting but super cute!

• Advertisement

Get well soon mamas and babas!
    greenttc wrote:
    How did halloween go for everyone, our wee lad dressed as a skeleton,not too exciting but super cute!

My babs was sick Halloween so we didn't do anything on the day but we did take her and her sister to a kiddy Halloween disco the Sunday before. We just dressed her in a little "my first Halloween" outfit from tescos. She loved the lights and the music, it was great.

We were in Wales for Halloween! They don’t really celebrate it there, but we got some decorations for the house and I dressed Liam up as a monkey (he was so cute), and I bought some fireworks and sparklers for the garden. I didn’t think he would really notice any of it, but he loved batting the balloons and playing with some of the decorations on the walls, and was fascinated by the fireworks and sparklers.

Can’t wait til he’s a bit older, as we always had Halloween parties in our house as children and it was so exciting, so I’d like to do the same for him! Might not subject him to the black bin bag costumes of the 90s though!!

So now I’m up puking too! Much be the bug. Bah. This is the third time I’ve had vomiting & diarrhoea in Liam’s 9 months of life. Not fair!

So now I’m up puking too! Much be the bug. Bah. This is the third time I’ve had vomiting & diarrhoea in Liam’s 9 months of life. Not fair!

Ah no, get well soon caitriona. Take care of yourself

Well this is awful. I thought Liam was over it but he’s just started throwing up again. And I’m still running to the bathroom every 20 mins.

Fits how the hell have you managed with two babies? I feel like the world’s worst mum today.

We’ve also given it to my mum, which I feel bad about

Fits how the hell have you managed with two babies? I feel like the world’s worst mum today.

We’ve also given it to my mum, which I feel bad about

I got it on Friday night so husband was around to help. I had it worse when they were four months old. Weaker and no help. This dose dragged on for days.

Okay, this thread is jinxed, now my wee lad is sick!!! But at least his is only a cold, runny and blocked nose, cough and no appetite. And a bit pukey but he is always pukey when he isnt feeling well, more like reflux.

With him being poorly he is awake every hour or so but just fusses a bit and goes back to sleep, still, we are awake every hour with him, everyone wrecked including him.

Oh no green, colds suck! Hoping it doesn’t spread to you and his daddy!

We are both much improved today. Have kept him off solids until just there now, so hoping he keeps it down.

How do you all keep the babies entertained during the day? My wee man seems to want constant interaction and will only play with his toys for 5 or 10 mins here and there. We go out in the buggy a lot but otherwise he just seems bored.

Oh no green, colds suck! Hoping it doesn’t spread to you and his daddy!

We are both much improved today. Have kept him off solids until just there now, so hoping he keeps it down.

How do you all keep the babies entertained during the day? My wee man seems to want constant interaction and will only play with his toys for 5 or 10 mins here and there. We go out in the buggy a lot but otherwise he just seems bored.

No colds with either of us yet but I am sure we will get it soon! At least its not the vomiting bug, that would be way worse!

Entertainment, well my wee man will last a little longer on the floor cause he is practicing his getting around so he chases balls and cars etc I alternate this with sitting him in his chair to do housework unstacking the dishwasher and explaining each item to him as I do it (mad I know!) But yeah plenty of walks and eating takes up lots of time! It is hard to keep him going but sometimes I dont give in to the "im bored" cries, I figure, this is life and he wont always get what he wants! He will have to make do with toys for entertainment!

• Advertisement

Hope the babies are all on the mend...and mammies too.

We finally had our developmental check today. All good. She weighs 17lb6oz and ticked all the boxes. The phn suggested we quit sterilising the bottles so I think we will to give ourselves one less task to do!

Entertainment is difficult! She spends a lot of time watching and following her big sister but she really doesn't give much attention to toys and only wants things she can't have...my phone, the remote control, cables and anything else lying around that isn't for her! I managed to get dinner cooked this evening when she found a bag of nappies and emptied them one by one on the floor beside me..it was honestly the longest she's sat in one spot at home for weeks! She loves the buggy though so we do get out for walks when I'm not working weather permitting.

Advertisement