Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

We finally had our developmental check today. All good. She weighs 17lb6oz and ticked all the boxes. The phn suggested we quit sterilising the bottles so I think we will to give ourselves one less task to do!

We have ours on the 21st. To be honest, I'm not as stringent with the sterilising since she started travelling the floor. I still sterilise all her bottles but I used religiously change the sterile water every 24 hours, now if it still smells bleachy, I'll keep using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Our sterilizer was put away months ago! ( I don’t give bottles at all).

We have a walker here today. Twin 1 took his first steps 😀 he’s not eleven months old yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

fits wrote:
    We have a walker here today. Twin 1 took his first steps 😀 he’s not eleven months old yet.

Wow! That's fantastic. Great milestone for you all! Enjoy the ensuing madness!

fits wrote:

Fantastic! That's great going!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Congratulations fits baby 1! Thats a huge milestone! Must be so exciting to see!!!

We had developmental check too my lad is 20lbs!!! Chunk compared to yours but boys are different!

Oh god tango I am with you on babies wanting stuff they cant have, he has mini tantrums when I take things off him!

Huh, maybe I should think about my ssterilizing, I still do it religiously despite my babies love if licking the floor! But I think I read somewhere that it is sterilizing things that held milk is important incase washing wasnt meticulous. I does seem funny that I will just stop once he reaches a year.

Where would I store my bottles though!!!???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Sterilising is because formula powder isn’t sterile so it should be done as long as using formula. Not necessary when using cows milk.

greenttc wrote:
    Where would I store my bottles though!!!???

That's a good point! It does keep the bottles tidy and out of sight!

Sterilising is because formula powder isn’t sterile so it should be done as long as using formula. Not necessary when using cows milk.

I think point phn was making is that the baby is crawling around so her hands are on the floor our feet are walking. She's putting everything she finds into her mouth to chew on. So she's exposed to plenty of non sterile items and germs already. I thought that using water that was boiled 30 minutes before to make bottles killed any bacteria in the formula? I know plenty of people who put their formula into cooled boiled water when their baby needs a feed. I thought sterilising bottles was to ensure any bacteria from the water used to clean the bottles was destroyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Pretty sure sterilising is about sterilising the formula, not the bottles. That’s why you don’t need to sterilise if it’s breastmilk in the bottle, as breastmilk has antimicrobial properties - I just wash bottles and pump parts in hot soapy water. So long as baby was full-term and healthy, this is sufficient from birth.

Can’t believe you have a walker, fits!!!! Exciting but also a bit terrifying lol

I think point phn was making is that the baby is crawling around so her hands are on the floor our feet are walking. She's putting everything she finds into her mouth to chew on. So she's exposed to plenty of non sterile items and germs already. I thought that using water that was boiled 30 minutes before to make bottles killed any bacteria in the formula? I know plenty of people who put their formula into cooled boiled water when their baby needs a feed. I thought sterilising bottles was to ensure any bacteria from the water used to clean the bottles was destroyed

Correct, the water cooled for 30 mins is hot enough to destroy any bacteria in the formula but cool enough not to destroy the nutrients in the formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Pretty sure sterilising is about sterilising the formula, not the bottles. That’s why you don’t need to sterilise if it’s breastmilk in the bottle, as breastmilk has antimicrobial properties - I just wash bottles and pump parts in hot soapy water. So long as baby was full-term and healthy, this is sufficient from birth.
    Yup exactly!

• Advertisement

Celebrating my first birthday as a mama today. So lovely having my little dolly come into my room in her daddy's arms with a card for me this morning :)

smaoifs wrote: »
    Celebrating my first birthday as a mama today. So lovely having my little dolly come into my room in her daddy's arms with a card for me this morning :)

Ahhhh happy birthday smaoifs! It really is lovely isn't it? Kinda makes your birthday a bit more complete doesnt it? Even though it didn't feel incomplete before!

Hope your having a great day celebrating!

greenttc wrote:
    Ahhhh happy birthday smaoifs! It really is lovely isn't it? Kinda makes your birthday a bit more complete doesnt it? Even though it didn't feel incomplete before!

Hope your having a great day celebrating!

Thanks! It's so sweet, the little hand holding onto the card and then I had to give her the envelope to tear to shreds!

Quiet night in with babs and Strictly cos hubby is working but we went out for dinner Thursday night.

smaoifs wrote:
    Celebrating my first birthday as a mama today. So lovely having my little dolly come into my room in her daddy's arms with a card for me this morning

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday smaoifs! Hope the wee woman was on her best behaviour for you all day!

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday smaoifs! Hope the wee woman was on her best behaviour for you all day!

Thanks ladies! She behaved very well bar spitting her lunch everywhere. This seems to be her new thing.

Dya know what I haven't been doing but really need to start doing, brushing his three teeth!

Have kind of put it out of mind as it obviously hasnt been part of his bedtime routine so I think it will rock the boat a bit but sure it just has to be done. No point delaying it! Must start tonight!

Have any of the rest of you started, any tips? I have both a baby brush and the little thimble things and baby toothpaste but turns out I dont need that!

greenttc wrote:
    Have any of the rest of you started, any tips? I have both a baby brush and the little thimble things and baby toothpaste but turns out I dont need that!

That came up in dev check last week...haven't been doing it but she only got teeth two weeks ago! The phn mentioned these baby dental wipes to try on teeth so must look into that. I goy 2 year old a toothbrush around her first birthday and we just sat in bathroom every day brushing our teeth together....its just to instill the habit at this young age I think

I just started brushing his teeth this week! I have one of those fingertip brushes and he mainly just bites it and plays with it so it seems a bit pointless. But I suppose it’s all about getting in the habit etc

Yeah totally need to just get him in the habit and build it into the routine. Feeling a little less guilty about not doing it yet and feeling very glad our little group seem to be all a bit Normal and at a similar stage in what we do!

I have had nightmares about his wee little teeth rotting in his head though,some websites and tv programmes really put the fear into you!

Didnt end up brushing teeth tonight in the end, ugh! Maybe we will start off with morning brushing!

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote:
    Didnt end up brushing teeth tonight in the end, ugh! Maybe we will start off with morning brushing!

Mondays a better day to start something isn't it! Like my diet....every single Monday!

Well I’m a bit further on but we are brushing every evening. The boys love it. twin 1 had vomiting bug this weekend. Miserable. No sign of it with twin 2 yet.

Mondays a better day to start something isn't it! Like my diet....every single Monday!

Your absolutely right tango!!!!!!

Fits thats awful that your baba got that bug, were you feeling better to be able to deal with it? God, the fear with twins, there would be no protecting one twin from the other when it comes to illness!

Good to hear your two are good with the brushing, do you do it twice a day? Presume you let them hold the brush with you directing it or is it just all you and they let you work away at it?

How are all the babas sleeping lately?

We’ve seen a huge improvement since the start of this month. He usually wakes once a night, sometimes not at all. I feel like a new woman!

The newest sleep challenge tho is that is super hard to get him down and can sometimes take up to 90 minutes. He’s also a really light sleeper, so regularly wakes when we come upstairs. I’m currently feeding him to put him back down to sleep now, as he woke as I tiptoed upstairs to fold some laundry!

Anyone got plans for a younger brother or sister yet? Green I know you’re making tracks already! I keep thinking about it but honestly don’t know how I’ll deal with the sickness again.

Yeah I have been 100% since Wednesday. He is fine again now. We just went through a lot of towels!

Husband does the brushing usually as he gets them ready for bed. Twin 1 does it himself. Twin 2 got teeth later so not at it as long and gets more help.

We will be the same fits, my husband will be doing the night brushing too but maybe I will start during the day for a short while.

Caitriona, no second babas here yet, easier said than done and I did temperature recording last time which worked well but its very very hard to do now! Feel like we will be trying for months before we get there! Ah well we will keep at it! Ha! ( so tired all the time though, motivation is hard to come by if I am honest!)

As you know our lad has always been a great sleeper, very lucky, too lucky I think sometimes, there is no way we could be as lucky with a second one, will probably be a big shock!!!

Anyone got plans for a younger brother or sister yet? Green I know you’re making tracks already! I keep thinking about it but honestly don’t know how I’ll deal with the sickness again.

Nope, definitely not doing it again! I've a big birthday next year and want to enjoy it as much as I can with two toddlers without throwing pregnancy or a newborn into the mix! I'm happy with my three. Good luck to ye who are thinking of it. For what its worth caitriona, all three of my pregnancies were different from each other so you mightn't get sick the next time.

Putting even trying for #2 until late next summer. On the pill and usually get my period on the 2nd day of the break week. Didn't come until the 4th day this time around and I was sweating bullets! I'd love another but the timing would be all wrong if I was pregnant right now.
    greenttc wrote:

Annalise now has 8 teeth!! I have a tooth brush for her and a toothpaste but we just use water for now. She chews on the brush and I try to make a game of moving it back and forth on her teeth. Best tip I can give, which I got from my sister is to have her in the bathroom as you're brushing your teeth so she sees it's nothing to be scared of and is normal.

My insane broodiness has settled down in the last week or so and at the moment I think we will be content with the two. Im not even sure if I could have another anyway. Sometimes I think I missed out on focussing on one baby, but that is never going to happen now. The newborn stage was crazy with the twins!

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    My insane broodiness has settled down in the last week or so and at the moment I think we will be content with the two. Im not even sure if I could have another anyway. Sometimes I think I missed out on focussing on one baby, but that is never going to happen now. The newborn stage was crazy with the twins!

And you could hit the jackpot and get 2 for 1 again... it happens!

When do you start the new job? Is it full-time?

Advertisement