Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Thinking more and more about baba number two these days (must be the hormones since I got my period back), and I really don’t know how I’m gonna go through pregnancy again. Just thinking about it fills me with dread and I feel sick 🀢

I know how you feel. I didn't enjoy any of my pregnancies, I hated every second of them to be honest. However, all three were very different...I had terrible nausea with first, really bad sickness with second, and virtually nothing with third. Was it the first three months you struggled with or all 9 last time?

That poem is lovely green...very true too. The time really does pass so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

It might be very different this time. It’s hard not knowing though. A friend of mine sailed through her first pregnancy and was really sick for the second. I had a tough pregnancy in retrospect and wouldn’t fancy another test of twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Thinking more and more about baba number two these days (must be the hormones since I got my period back), and I really don’t know how I’m gonna go through pregnancy again. Just thinking about it fills me with dread and I feel sick 🀢

I follow this thread but dont think Ive ever posted. But your post really hit home.
    My baby is nine months old and I'm 20 weeks pregnant.
    It's tough. Really tough. I haven't gone back to work which helps physically but it's killing me mentally to be "doing nothing" in my guilty mammy head. First pregnancy I was no more than nauseous, but this time I've thrown up and felt horrible for the first trimester. Nothing as bad as some go through, but enough to have had a miserable few months.
    I'm waffling now, but I just wanted to say that it can be done and you'll get through it. I have my scan next week and it honestly flew around so fast that it feels like Ive just found out Im pregnant! I just havent had time to dwell on it and count the weeks like I did last time. And in four more months all going well I'll have my two babies and be able to start slowly feeling like me again.
    So if you want another, just go for it. Jump in. It's hard, but so worth it, and it will fly by so fast your head will spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thanks girls. Wow, fair play to you having two babies so close together! You are a braver woman than I am. I definitely couldn’t do it. And welcome to the February club!

Pregnancy really got me down. I had sickness until 22 weeks and found it very tough mentally - ended up with antenatal depression. Sickness lifted and then SPD started at 26 weeks and it made every hour of every day a struggle. I’m very aware that I didn’t have sickness or SPD anywhere near as bad as some people do, but in all honesty that makes me worry even more that it could be worse next time around, and with a wee one to look after to boot!

Of course it is all 110% worth it when they arrive, but it’s much harder planning a second pregnancy after having a miserable time on the first. I was thinking the other day whether there is one single thing I miss about being pregnant; I don’t miss one bit, even the kicks! I quite enjoyed rubbing my big old belly, but that’s about the height of it!

Christ you had it rough, I can totally see why you're so apprehensive. You're brave to even consider it in my eyes :)
    You could work out little ways to make things ever so slightly bearable like make Saturday mornings yours by booking a granny to take your wee one out for a walk every week, or picking up late from creche one day a week or something? Just a wee weekly pick me up where you know you could go and cry in peace for three hours ;)

• Advertisement

That’s a nice idea, but me and my husband work around each other - so I go to work at the weekends when he is off. He also works really long hours and often won’t see the baby for several days at a time, so I’m a single mum a lot of the time. One set of grandparents are in Wales and the other set are two hours away.

I think I’m just going to continue to put another pregnancy on hold for a while longer!

Morning everyone, looking for a bit of advice if anyone has any suggestions.
    My daughter used to go to bed at 10ish (late, I know), but she'd then sleep until 7/8 with a half waking at 3/4 where we'd pull her into the bed with us and she'd go back to sleep. Never had a problem going down initially into her cot.
    Last week she was sick and couldnt sleep on her back without waking in a fit of coughing, so I was propped up in bed with her asleep on my chest so we'd all get some sleep.
    Since then, she's wide awake until 1/2am, it's a killer, and if we try to put her in her cot she's wide awake and wont settle anywhere but our bed. Last night was 2am and she's still aslsep now, I can't even get out of bed and start the day because as soon as she wakes she'll crawl off the bed.
    So really what we need to do is get her back to going to bed at 10. Her last nap is around 4pm and cio or putting her down awake is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

S4uv3 i know you say putting her down awake isnt an option but if she isnt going into the cot awake and putting herself asleep i think it will be a problem, thats my opinion anyway. Its a skill that babies need to learn.

Would you try the stay and support method where you put her in the cot awake and stay with her till she goes asleep. Room has to be totally black and you dont talk to her but she knows you are there. If she cries you can comfort her and rub her back but you dont lift her. It might take some time but she will eventually learn how to get herself to sleep.

Caitriona it think you should just go for it with baby number two. I get the fear, we were spd buddies (!) but as eveyone has said all pregnancies are different and you might be fearing something that will never happen (as in the discomfort not the pregnancy!)

I liked s4uv3 suggestion of getting a bit of time out regularly, sometimes easier said than done i know, but if you make it a thing and build it into routine it might really help.

Still nothing happening with us and i am at the stage now where i am disappointed each month (and its not like we have been trying ages!), took nine months last time, kinda thought it would happen quicker this time but obviously not. We were headed for ivf last time but got lucky. If it doesnt happen naturally this time i wont even entertain the idea of ivf and will just be happy with my one wee man. Wonder now easily the want for a second will subside though..... god i am very pessimistic today arent i?

Oh, caitriona i just saw your “going to hold off” post there, dont know how i missed it. Sorry!now my post looks stupid, ah well, all in hour own time but i wouldnt let fear put you off!

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote: »
    S4uv3 i know you say putting her down awake isnt an option but if she isnt going into the cot awake and putting herself asleep i think it will be a problem, thats my opinion anyway. Its a skill that babies need to learn.

Would you try the stay and support method where you put her in the cot awake and stay with her till she goes asleep. Room has to be totally black and you dont talk to her but she knows you are there. If she cries you can comfort her and rub her back but you dont lift her. It might take some time but she will eventually learn how to get herself to sleep.

When you put it like that, it sounds much nicer than I had imagined- I think that's actually worth a shot. If it worked it would make life so much easier, thanks greenttc for the suggestion :)

s4uv3 wrote: »
    When you put it like that, it sounds much nicer than I had imagined- I think that's actually worth a shot. If it worked it would make life so much easier, thanks greenttc for the suggestion :)

Babies being sick can just really upset things for them cant it?

I think everyone just has to do what works for them and their babies. For us my goal was to always have him sleeping in his own cot and falling asleep by himself and I think it is why he is such a good sleeper now cause he wakes but doesnt need me to get himself back to sleep. I read it in a book and it really worked for us!

I know his cries now and I know when he needs me to go in to him. Our problem is that I think he has nightmares sometimes, maybe once a week where he all of a sudden cries in very upset way but seems to be still asleep and we have to lift him and talk in his ear so he can hear us and eventually calm down. He then sobs for a bit and forgets the bad dream and we can put him back in his cot and he goes off to sleep again. It is very sad though, what does a baby have nightmares about :-(

God yeah those nightmares are horrendous, it's the kind of cry that makes you wake and go to them in an instant!
    Our wee one had a lot of them around the last leap but they're rare enough now thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

We're the same. The only time we have her in the bed with us is for a cuddle at the weekend before getting up and even then, she's looking to be on the floor instead. I just wouldn't sleep a wink if she was in the bed with us, I've woken up a few times to hubby's elbow coming straight at me as he turns so I'd be terrified having her in with us. She might give the odd cry from her room but normally goes straight back asleep or finds her dummy herself and nods off again.

They say dreams and nightmares can start at this age cos the babies become self aware. We've only had 1 so far where I had to take her out of the cot and cuddle her to get her back to sleep.

How is everybody? We're in miserable form here with baba having a bad runny nose and a bit of a cough. You'd swear we were murdering her the way she carries on when we wipe her nose! Poor little thing is so heavy eyed. She's having a very long nap on my chest right now. I think even at almost 10 months, the skin of my chest against her cheek is doing her good.

smaoifs wrote:
    How is everybody? We're in miserable form here with baba having a bad runny nose and a bit of a cough. You'd swear we were murdering her the way she carries on when we wipe her nose! Poor little thing is so heavy eyed. She's having a very long nap on my chest right now. I think even at almost 10 months, the skin of my chest against her cheek is doing her good.

We had that last week and know the blood curdling screams of the nose wiping well! Baba ended up on antibiotics for ear, throat and chest infection and is only on the mend today it was a rough week. Hope your wee pet gets better soon.

Ah how miserable for you, smaoifs. Hate this time of year. Hope she feels better soon!

All good here. Last night, Liam only got up once. The night before, he didn’t get up at all!!! I feel awesome.

All good here. Last night, Liam only got up once. The night before, he didn’t get up at all!!! I feel awesome.

That's great! Funny how they just seem to twig, it's like something clicks with them. Maybe it's the cold weather and realising bed is a better place to be!

We had that last week and know the blood curdling screams of the nose wiping well! Baba ended up on antibiotics for ear, throat and chest infection and is only on the mend today it was a rough week. Hope your wee pet gets better soon.

Oh, that's tough going. We've had a few tough nights and days but hopefully she's coming out the other side now.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all. Hope all is well. We’ve had a bad few nights sleep. Very restless around 4/5. I read somewhere that’s the coldest part of the night. She wears a babygro & sleeping bag. I’m wondering would a fleece babygro be bette these cold nights.

Can’t wait for Christmas this year. I love this time of year. The 3 year old is really understanding it this year & we are eagerly awaiting the return of our elf! Babs is in great form these days. Can entertain herself so much more now she’s crawling. Will wave goodbye & play peek a boo.

On the down side I’m back to work the 11th & even the thoughts of it makes me want to cry. I’m dreading it. I’ll have been at home a full year. Needs must though we need money!!!

Think i jinxed myself in here yday... last night we were up from 1-3.30, then up for the day at 6! Wee rogue.

Deh commiserations on going back to work. Try not to dwell on it too much, as that can ruin your last few weeks off. At least you’ll only be in a week or two and then have a nice break for Christmas!

• Advertisement

deh983 wrote:
    Hi all. Hope all is well. We’ve had a bad few nights sleep. Very restless around 4/5. I read somewhere that’s the coldest part of the night. She wears a babygro & sleeping bag. I’m wondering would a fleece babygro be bette these cold nights.

We're the same, a bit restless around 4 so I've set the heating to come on around 3.30 for 20 mins just to heat the air that bit more. I have her in a long sleeve vest, babygro and 2.5 tog grobag. Her hands feel cold some mornings but her back and chest feel warm so I'm OK with that.

deh983 wrote:
    On the down side I’m back to work the 11th & even the thoughts of it makes me want to cry. I’m dreading it. I’ll have been at home a full year. Needs must though we need money!!!

Sorry to hear that. Its so hard facing back after a lovely long maternity leave. I'm back almost two months already and I must say I'm really enjoying being back, being able to enjoy an uninterrupted cuppa and adult conversation! And having a few extra euro is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Sorry to hear that. Its so hard facing back after a lovely long maternity leave. I'm back almost two months already and I must say I'm really enjoying being back, being able to enjoy an uninterrupted cuppa and adult conversation! And having a few extra euro is amazing!

I’m definately looking forward to that part of it. I had two childminders lined up and one told me only last night that she’s not doing it now. Stressed is not the word. The other person is my partners family and I didn’t want them going there 5 days. She doesn’t do routine and when she was minding the older lad I would come home to this mess of a child who had hardly slept all day. I’m dreading facing back into all that. I tried saying it to her at the time but I might aswell have been talking to the wall.
    She just doesn’t do it & has school runs etc to be doing. It’s so hard when it’s family :(

Just putting this here as it’s made me laugh so much.... Santa came to visit the kids at my husband’s office on Friday.... and someone was NOT a happy little helper!!

Just putting this here as it’s made me laugh so much.... Santa came to visit the kids at my husband’s office on Friday.... and someone was NOT a happy little helper!!

Aw that's adorable!! I'm expecting Annalise to be the same! We're going to go to my office on Saturday for a while for the kiddie party.

Ahhhh would ya look at liams sad little face! Very cute caitriona! Cant wait to do santa soon!

That is sooooo cute...fantastic photo and one to make you smile forever! We're bringing our dolly on Saturday, can't wait! Such a fab time for us all with little ones to enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Two sick babies here one completely congested with cold. But the other has had terrible high temperatures since Saturday. I was able to control during the day but it has been spiking the last three nights. It was 40.8 last night!!! He couldn’t keep calpol down and then He broke put into a sweat last night so I’m hoping that was the fever breaking. Was in with doctor yesterday and he put us on antibiotics. So hard to know what’s going on.

fits wrote:
    Two sick babies here one completely congested with cold. But the other has had terrible high temperatures since Saturday. I was able to control during the day but it has been spiking the last three nights. It was 40.8 last night!!! He couldn’t keep calpol down and then He broke put into a sweat last night so I’m hoping that was the fever breaking. Was in with doctor yesterday and he put us on antibiotics. So hard to know what’s going on.

The poor pets. Have they improved any? We're down here too, babs has tonsillitis and on her second antibiotic in two weeks. Tis the season I suppose.

• Advertisement

The poor pets. Have they improved any? We're down here too, babs has tonsillitis and on her second antibiotic in two weeks. Tis the season I suppose.

Definitely the season! We are thankfully past the cold and cough now after a very tough few days and nights.
    10 months today and she is travelling miles around the floor on her bum and by rolling and stretching. She can crawl backwards but not forwards yet!
    We've had to drop the level of the cot as she is now pulling herself up on to her knees, even managing it in the cot in her grobag.

Advertisement