Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Hello everyone,hope all are doing well and over the nasty sickness in time for santas.arrival soon! I am so excited for babas first cristmas, even though it is 10 months I still cant believe he is here! This time last year I was finishing up work and awaiting his arrival, isnt it mad how time is going so fast!!!

Our wee man is getting around the place by rolling and dragging himself, or he will push himself around while sitting upright, he really is very inventive in how he gets from place to place and follows me everywhere he can.

He copies everything we do, blows kisses, claps handies, high fives, waves, everything, it is so entertaining watching him!

He is being very good with the Christmas tree and mostly just leaves it alone although he does drag himself in under it to watch the lights which I remember doing when I was a kid.

He is a proper little person now, gets annoyed at stuff, and frustrated when things dont go to plan.

Isn't it just amazing watching these babies!!!

He is still guzzling 4 bottles a day though, straight after a full meal at times!

How are all the other babies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

greenttc wrote:
    He copies everything we do, blows kisses, claps handies, high fives, waves, everything, it is so entertaining watching him!

They're such great little mimics! She'll see someone drinking tea or coffee out of a cup or mug and say aaah. She has taken to pulling my mother's arm to take a sip of tea after its cooled down. I was having lunch today and said mmm, she did the same!
    greenttc wrote:
    He is still guzzling 4 bottles a day though, straight after a full meal at times!

We've gone back up to 3 7oz bottles with 1 3oz bottles as well as her meals and snacks. She had cut herself down to 6ozs but she's so busy now and travelling the floor so much she needs that bit extra.

We had Santa today. She loved him, sat on his lap beaming at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Wee man is having a busy week! Since Monday, he has learnt to sit himself up from lying on his tummy, how to walk on his walker, how to stand with only using one hand to steady himself on a surface (and sometimes lets go altogether and wobbles for 5 seconds!), and just tonight he has army-crawled across the floor-mats AND pulled himself up to stand from sitting. All in just three days! As well as cutting his two top teeth on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Your boy does sound like he's flying caitriona! I think this is such a lovely age.

My wee girl's personality is really coming through. She's walking with the furniture now but I think she's still a good bit away from her first steps. She is mad for outside and is always pointing at the door and grabbing for her hat hoping to be set free and she can give some rows when she doesn't get her way! She's been really good with the tree and is happy to just look at it. We're going to Santa on Saturday with her so can't wait for that. We're so so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

My boys birthdays were on Wednesday. Amazing to get to that milestone.

Unfortunately we have been plagued with illness after illness in recent weeks. I’m finding it hard going at the moment. I hope they will be ok when I return to work. ( I was offered and accepted a different job starting in January)

Catrionanic sounds like a busy week for you indeed!

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    My boys birthdays were on Wednesday. Amazing to get to that milestone.

Happy birthday to your boys fits! Hard to believe how fast the year passed.

We had a rough few weeks with sickness too. Its exhausting so can only imagine how tough having two sick babas at same time is. Hope they get back to normal soon. Congrats on the new job too!

Just jumping on to wish everyone a happy first Christmas (or second for Fitz!). Even though Babs is clueless, we're still excited!

Happy first Christmas to you too Smaoifs, and to all the other babas and mamas! We had a wee Christmas surprise today in that Liam started to crawl (a late bloomer like myself!). Christmas tree now destroyed! Thankfully he’s slow enough not to be pulling any sly ones on us quite yet.

Awesome Liam is crawling! Yep second Christmas for us. Last year we were all holed up getting to know each other. This year is a bit different :D

Happy Christmas to you all!

Happy Christmas to all the mamas and babas! Hope santa arrives for everyone! Definitely my best Christmas yet!!

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas everyone! Hope babies' first Christmases are memorable and fun. Great time had here and baba dressed in her little Santa dress

Only a few hours left of the year our babas were born (except fits!) was just thinking this morning how good 2017 was! I didn't do a second if work it was all just about the wee man (which I know is work in itself!) back to work now next week, awful awful awful!!!! I feel a bit sick thinking about it! I will actually have to leave baba and not see him for 8 hours in a row five days a week, how will I cope??? I know it will be fine but right now it feels like someone is about to amputate one of my limbs!

Anyway, here is to 2018 and all you lovely mummys!

greenttc wrote:
    Only a few hours left of the year our babas were born (except fits!) was just thinking this morning how good 2017 was! I didn't do a second if work it was all just about the wee man (which I know is work in itself!) back to work now next week, awful awful awful!!!! I feel a bit sick thinking about it! I will actually have to leave baba and not see him for 8 hours in a row five days a week, how will I cope??? I know it will be fine but right now it feels like someone is about to amputate one of my limbs!

Anyway, here is to 2018 and all you lovely mummys!

Happy New Year mamas! Hard to believe how fast 2017 has gone by.

I'm in the same boat greenttc. Back to work Monday 8th. I'm not looking forward to it but I'm not dreading it either (for now!). I saw a lot of people at the Christmas party and was in the office a few weeks back dropping in my laptop for updates so it eased my mind a bit. Going back full time but hoping I'll be allowed work shorter days and work thru lunch and do a bit of work from home if I'm up early.

My parents will be minding her for me which brings me to my question: how much should I give them? Obviously they're not demanding a payment but I feel I need to give something...

I’m back to work on the 15th so a few of us in the same boat! I’m sure family life will be a bit more stressful as I’ll be gone 11 hours three days a week. Dreading it!

Happy new year to you all.

smaoifs wrote:
    My parents will be minding her for me which brings me to my question: how much should I give them? Obviously they're not demanding a payment but I feel I need to give something...

Happy new year everyone! We've all come a long way since bumps this time last year.

On the above smaoifs, my parents were the same and wouldn't take anything for the "privilege" of minding their grandkids. I tried to barter with them but they were having none of it. I felt terrible but they just were happy to be able to do it. I just treat them as often as I can...meals out, bottles if vino, supermarket vouchers etc. My baba is starting creche in new year so their days minding her will he down to 1.5 per week.

Happy new year to all the mamas and babas, and best of luck to those of you starting back at work!

What a year it has been. The best of my life!

My parents mind Liam on Mondays, but they travel two hours down on Sunday night and back up on the Monday which is a huge effort. He is their only grandchild and they say it is their favourite day of the week! We don’t pay them per se, but we cover their fuel and make them dinner on Sunday and Monday, and regularly treat them with hotel breaks, meals etc. It’s probably no cheaper than a crèche tbh, but we know that Liam is in the best hands - it’s his favourite day of the week too!

You could offer to pay for their weekly shop or electricity bill or something like that, if they won’t accept money outright.

Kinda nice knowing I am not the only one out there facing into work.

My mum and dad will be looking after our baby too and like the rest of ye will definitely not accept any compensation for it but I will have to treat them like has been suggested. I am very nervous for them really, not sure they know what they have volunteered for and I know they would never let on if they had any regrets or are struggling. They never had to look after me full time really, I was with a childminder from a few weeks old so they are taking on this duty for the first time, ah! Just hope the wee man is good with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Edit

Oh holy god, work is horrible. Hope I get into the swing of it next week!! Wee man doesn't seem to care that I am gone at all, suppose that's a good thing... Even though I am slightly disappointed he doesn't miss me more!!!

greenttc wrote: »
    Oh holy god, work is horrible. Hope I get into the swing of it next week!! Wee man doesn't seem to care that I am gone at all, suppose that's a good thing... Even though I am slightly disappointed he doesn't miss me more!!!

Well at least you know he’s happy with granny and granda! How are they coping?

How does he react when you collect him? Liam has a meltdown when I get home - a mix of uncontrollable excitement to see me, and anger/heartbreak at the realisation I’ve been away all day and abandoned him! I can’t even go to the loo or get changed because he won’t let me out of his sight until bed!

Liam is now standing unaided. Started two days ago but he doesn’t go longer than about 8 seconds before he pushes himself back down onto his bum. He’s walking with me just holding one of his hands too. I feel the first steps may be here around his first birthday!

• Advertisement

Well at least you know he’s happy with granny and granda! How are they coping?

How does he react when you collect him? Liam has a meltdown when I get home - a mix of uncontrollable excitement to see me, and anger/heartbreak at the realisation I’ve been away all day and abandoned him! I can’t even go to the loo or get changed because he won’t let me out of his sight until bed!

Liam is now standing unaided. Started two days ago but he doesn’t go longer than about 8 seconds before he pushes himself back down onto his bum. He’s walking with me just holding one of his hands too. I feel the first steps may be here around his first birthday!

Wow standing!! And walking!! He is miles ahead of our lad, he is still just scooting around the floor!

He doesn't care in the slightest when I pick him up from my mums, he looks at me as if to say, oh it's you, I don't need you any more I have a new minder now!!! Heartbreaking!!! But he gets very excited to see his dad. Again, heartbreaking! All the loving and caring and nappy changing and feeding and there is no appreciation!!!

Suppose I can't complain, he could be having a horrible time but it's quite the opposite!

First day back in work today. Work itself was alright but dropping her off with Nana and Grandad this morning, I was a mess. Cried on the drive in and cried when my manager greeted me! Was OK after a cuppa and a chat but cried again when I collected her this evening. Really hope it was just the emotion of first day and I won't be like this every day!
    Not a bother on her of course! She's 11 months today and is crawling at speed, pulling herself to standing and getting herself up the first 3 stairs.

smaoifs wrote: »
    First day back in work today. Work itself was alright but dropping her off with Nana and Grandad this morning, I was a mess. Cried on the drive in and cried when my manager greeted me! Was OK after a cuppa and a chat but cried again when I collected her this evening. Really hope it was just the emotion of first day and I won't be like this every day!
    Not a bother on her of course! She's 11 months today and is crawling at speed, pulling herself to standing and getting herself up the first 3 stairs.

Aw smaoifs! Well done you on doing your first day. It must be so tough having been with her all day every day for 11 months, but it will get easier. And you know she’s in very good hands! How was it this morning?

Yes Liam can climb out entire flight of stairs. This is a problem, as the stairs are in the living room and are an awkward width, so I can’t get a stair gate for them! Have bought a playpen to stick him in, but we don’t really have space for it so the look of the place is driving me nuts (I’m a bit OCD about the house). Can’t wait til he’s old enough to teach how to go up and down the stairs safely and I can get my living room back!

Aw smaoifs! Well done you on doing your first day. It must be so tough having been with her all day every day for 11 months, but it will get easier. And you know she’s in very good hands! How was it this morning?

Yes Liam can climb out entire flight of stairs. This is a problem, as the stairs are in the living room and are an awkward width, so I can’t get a stair gate for them! Have bought a playpen to stick him in, but we don’t really have space for it so the look of the place is driving me nuts (I’m a bit OCD about the house). Can’t wait til he’s old enough to teach how to go up and down the stairs safely and I can get my living room back!

Better this morning but my manager is being a total jobsworth and not entertaining any options for me to work a shorter day by taking shorter breaks or working from home for part of it.
    We're the same, stairs in the sitting room that wont take a gate and she heads straight for them. It's like she's happy getting to the 3rd stair so gives up and decides to sit down. A couple of near tumbles cos she doesn't realise there's no floor under her.

Girls, flu vaccines for babies - is this a thing? Just with all the news of this awful flu we are getting, and with the youngest being so vulnerable, it made me wonder if I should be getting him a jab.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry, don't normally pop in here but saw the last post....got the flu jab a few weeks ago myself (pregnant with my third) and I did actually ask the doctor do they normally give it to kids or babies?She said no, it's not usually done, unless they might be really at risk for some reason.....and I'd imagine if your baby or small child is really at risk then then are probably other health issues there too.

I’m not sure if the strain affecting children is covered by the vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If a pregnant woman gets the flu vaccine then her child will be born with some immunity.

If a pregnant woman gets the flu vaccine then her child will be born with some immunity.

Most of the children being talked about in this thread have already been born Kason Pitiful Slip so are not immune. Presume it's a different strain of flu to what were were vaccinated against when we were pregnant

I think you just have to be more careful with hygiene etc caitriona, especially when out and about. Will be awful if they get the flu but if they do hopefully it will make them more hardy against further flu attacks (trying desperately to find some bright side!)

• Advertisement

How is the world if the working mother for everyone? I have surprised myself with how smoothly getting out in the mornings is going so far, really thought that would be a struggle!

Still no actual crawling here or no significant amount of pulling himself up, guessing walking is a good while off for my lad, are the rest of the babies still flying it?

Advertisement