Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Thank you all for your kind words & thoughts. As the saying goes your health is your wealth and that is definately true for us now.
    Anyway we are coping well so hopefully the luck gods are looking down on us over the next few weeks.
    Definately puts this into perspective and I no longer complain when the baby takes a bit longer to go asleep or the 3 year old wants me to sit and watch toy story for the 400th time. Their lives have also been thrown upside down even though they don’t know exactly what’s happening.

Anyhoo hope ye are all having a lovely weekend and either have enjoyed or are planning the birthday parties. Got the Minnie Mouse cake ordered today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I didn’t want to say anything initially as I didn’t want to seem like I was making your news about myself. But myself and my husband went through a cancer diagnosis and treatment three years ago. It’s on my mind a bit at the moment as his surgery was around this time of year.

It was, without doubt, the scariest and most stressful time we’ve ever gone through. It felt like we were in a black hole of hopelessness and I could never see a time where we would be free of worries about his health. I was so angry at the unfairness of it all and terrified of what our future would be.

Three years is not that long a time but it now feels like a lifetime ago. His surgery was a success, the cancer hadn’t spread and slowly I was able to believe everything I had been reading about how cancer survival rates are soaring, treatments have improved exponentially in the last ten years, the outlook is almost always really positive. It’s hard to see it now but you’ll get through this. The very best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Hope all goes well tomorrow deh. Definitely does put things in perspective. Keep your heads up, a positive attitude can work miracles x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah deh, I can’t even imagine how hard the last few weeks have been for you all. Will be thinking about you tomorrow and hoping all goes well. Please keep us informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Thank you all so much for your kind words & thoughts.
    Ally pally your post is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much.

Of course the 3 year old has picked up some sort of bug and is so sick all day. Can’t keep anything down and white as a ghost. It never ends does it ...... :)

• Advertisement

deh983 wrote:
    Of course the 3 year old has picked up some sort of bug and is so sick all day. Can’t keep anything down and white as a ghost. It never ends does it ......

Always something!

Babs had her 12 month jabs today and is already very irritable. We've been having a tough week since her birthday. She's reenacting her newborn days and having a bottle at 4am. She's been waking up chatting to herself and we've tried leaving her to see does she go back asleep by herself but doesn't. One of us goes in and she's high as a kite laughing, shouting mama/dada and getting herself standing. Bottle is the only thing that will put her back asleep. I'm really hoping it's just her going through the next leap and she'll be back to her normal sleep very quickly.

OMG Liam is the exact same. He is super cranky and is waking in the night again. He settles for his dad no bother, but will scream and scream every time I put him down. It’s awful.

This too shall pass, this too shall pass....

On the plus side, he is now officially walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

I haven't been on this thread in ages and so glad I checked back. Congratulations Green and catriona!
    My little guy will be 1 on the 27th and I am 17 weeks pregnant!!! So I'll be another bump buddy. Hope you are both feeling well.

deh983 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Big congrats to all of ye :)

We have had the sh*test end to 2017 & start to 2018. My partner was diagnosed with skin cancer a couple of days before Xmas and to add to that got very sick over xmas due to other health issues. Ended up in hospital 3 weeks ago and has now been fitted with a colostomy bag.
    He is recovering brilliantly from the surgery and his back to his old self again. Now we just have to start the next journey which begins with surgery on Monday and will know after that if it has spread. We are very positive though & the two kids are keeping us going. Needless to say our world has been turned upside down but fingers crossed the excellent doctors looking after him have managed to get it all out.

Meanwhile the baby is still growing :) cruising around all the furniture but is so afraid to let go. She has a bad cold at the minute so is coughing a lot at night. Her birthday is in 2 weeks. Where the heck did that year go?? Just having small party with ourselves. It’s more for the 3 year old. He is so excited... probably coz he thinks he’s getting presents too!!

Hope everyone is doing well. Best wishes to all the pregnant ladies. Enjoy it all and I hope your February babies give you an easy time of it :)

OMG just catching up. I am so so sorry. This will be a tough time for you all but you will get through it.
    I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in August 2015. Had two surgeries - one major and had chemo after. I know how scary this time is when you are in limbo and not knowing what is around the corner.
    The only advice I have is stay strong and take things one step at a time.

I never thought I would get through my illness and now I look back and it has changed me for the better. I've learned to appreciate everything and everyone. And if you need help there are loads of support groups out there. Feel free to PM me if I can help at all.
    XxX

dreamstar wrote: »
    I haven't been on this thread in ages and so glad I checked back. Congratulations Green and catriona!
    My little guy will be 1 on the 27th and I am 17 weeks pregnant!!! So I'll be another bump buddy. Hope you are both feeling well.

Congrats to you too! It really is quite amazing after all you’ve been through that you are where you are. I’d say you can’t quite believe it yourself! How have you found this pregnancy so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I was just having a look back at the start of this thread to see how I was at the early stages of the last pregnancy (just to see if I felt the same as I do now) and read your old posts as part of that, you would have been due in March is that right, and then you obviously had your baby early!

Congratulations to you too!!! Isn't it funny how people are so aligned, three if us with first and second babies all around the same time, suppose its bit that surprising!

I was just having a look back at the start of this thread to see how I was at the early stages of the last pregnancy (just to see if I felt the same as I do now) and read your old posts as part of that, you would have been due in March is that right, and then you obviously had your baby early!

Congratulations to you too!!! Isn't it funny how people are so aligned, three if us with first and second babies all around the same time, suppose its not that surprising!

Deh I hope things have been going okay this week and that you got on okay on monday

Yeah Green I was originally in the Due in March thread as my due date was 4th March. But he arrived 5 days early.

Catriona to be honest I really can't believe all I've been through. It's been a rollercoaster. I was diagnosed when I was 29. We had been trying to conceive for a year before that with no joy. Then we were told they would have to remove an ovary and the chemo could leave me infertile. We were devastated. We went to an IVF clinic on the hospitals advice and had embryos frozen.
    I thought my fist little boy was an absolute miracle and I never thought I'd be so lucky again. We didn't want to hang around and started trying again as soon as I felt ready. I count my blessings every single day and cuddle him as much as I can. I feel so lucky!

I've been feeling good this time round too thank god. I'm on innohep injections every day as I had a blood clot after chemo. That's a bit of a pain but other than that I'm great. The nausea has eased in the last few weeks thankfully.

How are you guys feeling? I'm a bit nervous about two so young but sure it's be good fun.

Yeah Green I was originally in the Due in March thread as my due date was 4th March. But he arrived 5 days early.

I'm on innohep injections every day as I had a blood clot after chemo. That's a bit of a pain but other than that I'm great. The nausea has eased in the last few weeks thankfully.

How are you guys feeling? I'm a bit nervous about two so young but sure it's be good fun.

I'm on innohep as well, forgot how much I hated them but I have had clots before too so must be done! Think I remember talking to you about them before actually!

No nausea here and hopefully none will show up!!! Have my fingers tightly crossed for that one. I am similar to before in that I can't eat very much though cause I feel so full after just a small bit of food, ah well not the worst!

greenttc wrote: »
    I'm on innohep as well, forgot how much I hated them but I have had clots before too so must be done! Think I remember talking to you about them before actually!

No nausea here and hopefully none will show up!!! Have my fingers tightly crossed for that one. I am similar to before in that I can't eat very much though cause I feel so full after just a small bit of food, ah well not the worst!

Yeah my poor tummy is bruised to bits. Between bruises, scars and stretchmarks - I will definitely not be in a bikini any time soon. :D:D

How far along are you? Great you've had no nausea. What saved me was the fact I was still off on maternity leave. I was literally 3 months when I started back in work. Nice timing!:D

Yeah my poor tummy is bruised to bits. Between bruises, scars and stretchmarks - I will definitely not be in a bikini any time soon. :D:D

How far along are you? Great you've had no nausea. What saved me was the fact I was still off on maternity leave. I was literally 3 months when I started back in work. Nice timing!:D

I literally only started back on the innohep on Monday so not too bruised yet, I know what I will be like soon though, searching for a spot that isn't too bruised so I can actually inject!!! Ugh!

I am just seven weeks so if the nausea is going to arrive it should be here any day, didn't have any last time so hoping I will be as lucky this time.

We didn't manage to time it as well as you though and I am back in work since January bit will be out of here in a few months, just have to keep thinking that. I am sure everyone is expecting me to say I am pregnant again and are surprised I didn't come back with a bump but we will make them wait another while. So did you arrive back in work and tell them the news on your first day back?

We didn't manage to time it as well as you though and I am back in work since January bit will be out of here in a few months, just have to keep thinking that. I am sure everyone is expecting me to say I am pregnant again and are surprised I didn't come back with a bump but we will make them wait another while. So did you arrive back in work and tell them the news on your first day back?

Yeah I did. I was a bit mortified but they were just so happy. I was 12 week on the Monday and started back the Wednesday. I had thought about telling them early but I just didn't want to. But it was fine. I'm on a 3 day week now too so I wasn't going to be taking on too much work anyway.

So are you due in September? So exciting! What hospital are you in?

Congrats dreamstar, lovely news. Now ladies, don't all leave us for the Due October 2018 thread! :D

ally_pally wrote: »
    Congrats dreamstar, lovely news. Now ladies, don't all leave us for the Due October 2018 thread! :D

Not at all ally, I'm not going anywhere although I am conscious that my last few posts are pulling the thread off topic somewhat, apologies!!

Just a last little off topic to respond to dreams tat though, due in October and back to holles Street with me!

• Advertisement

Girls what’s the story with naps at the mo? One or two? Times and how long for? And what sort of night time sleep are yous getting? We are still all over the place ðŸ™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

I know I’m a bit ahead but naps are all over the place here. They were taking one long nap but now that’s getting shorter and some days none at all!!! And some days they take two still but that’s rare now.

Nighttime all over the place too but that’s mostly Illness and teething. The night time feeds are on a downward trajectory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Another bump! Congrats! You ladies have been busy! Hope sickness and sheer exhaustion staying at bay.

We're still on two naps...usually from 11.30 until 12.30 and then 3.30 until 4.30 with bed at 8.

She took her first steps this week too and she's so pleased with herself. She fell on her bum afterwards and gave herself a big clap!

She took her first steps this week too and she's so pleased with herself. She fell on her bum afterwards and gave herself a big clap!

That is the cutest thing I’ve ever heard!

We are down to one nap now, two hours in the middle of the day from 12 to about 2 then bed at 7 and he gets up at 6.30. He usually sleeps through the night, the only thing that interrupts night sleeps is sickness and even with that he mostly slept through. We are so so lucky I know!

He is on two bottles now, one before his nap and one before bed, almost 9 ounces every time so it's a lot. We do mostly cows milk now with just a little bit of formula mixed in. His eating is so varied sometimes good and sometimes not!

How the rest of ye getting on with bottles and are ye still on formula?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

greenttc wrote:

We're still on formula and 2-3 7 oz bottles but hoping to get it cut out in next few weeks if she ever gets the hang of the beaker! She loves her bug sister's cup which has a straw and she can manage that so might try getting something similar for weaning off the formula and bottles. Can't wait for the freedom of no bottles, if she allows it to happen!

greenttc wrote:

We're down to two 9oz bottles a day, first thing and last thing. My mam minds her during the day and might give her 3oz if she's fighting herself for a nap. Fully on cows milk now. She goes great on water from the beaker but also likes shaking it and showering herself and the floor with water.
    Sleep seems to be back to normal (fingers crossed!) Bed at 8 and up at 7.30. Might be a few grumbles during the night if she can't find her dummy but sleeps through for the most part, bar the little blip last weekend.

Not at all ally, I'm not going anywhere although I am conscious that my last few posts are pulling the thread off topic somewhat, apologies!!

Ah I’m only messing green, and all topics are good!

Sleep is pretty good here. We had a rough few months with sleep before and during Christmas. Nothing terrible but I think she had a sleep regression and we developed bad habits to try and cope with that which stuck. Realised we couldn’t keep going with that with me returning to work - having to sleep on the floor of her room or shush her to sleep for an hour or having to rock her to sleep for ages in the middle of the night. So, we braced ourselves for sleep training. I know it’s controversial and I know it’s not for everyone but it worked for us. We had two tricky nights but since then she hasn’t woken once in the middle of the night and she goes to sleep on her own whereas before we would have to spend ages in the room with her until she fell asleep.

Two naps still - around 90 minutes in the morning and 30-40 in the afternoon. Bed around 7.30-8pm and she sleeps until around 7.30.

We’ve moved onto cow’s milk now and she’s taken to it no bother at all. Then again she’s a monster eater who’d eat or drink anything she could get her hands on!

Ally sleep training is controversial but I think it definitely has its merits, we all need the skill of being able to send ourselves off to sleep and if we continuously help a baby get to sleep with rocking and shushing or just being there all the time I wonder are we doing the child a small bit of a disservice. We aren't letting them learn that skill of sending themselves off to sleep by shushing and rocking so I think you definitely did the right thing and it is not easy to do!!!

• Advertisement

Smaoifs your girl sounds like my wee man with the "showers"!

Tango how are you going to get off the bottles, I really want to be rid if them too. My wee man loves his straw cup too. Will you just give the night "bottle" in a cup or beaker some night and that will be that? I think my wee man will find it really tough, he LOVES his bottle before bed

Advertisement