Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

greenttc wrote:
    Tango how are you going to get off the bottles, I really want to be rid if them too. My wee man loves his straw cup too. Will you just give the night "bottle" in a cup or beaker some night and that will be that? I think my wee man will find it really tough, he LOVES his bottle before bed

I'm hoping to do cold turkey! I did it with my other two without a bother. However, this baby loves her bottles too...waaaay more than other two did so I'm apprehensive that I'll actually manage it with her. Yeah if all goes well, the night bottle would be in the beaker or sippy cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I'm hoping to do cold turkey! I did it with my other two without a bother. However, this baby loves her bottles too...waaaay more than other two did so I'm apprehensive that I'll actually manage it with her. Yeah if all goes well, the night bottle would be in the beaker or sippy cup.

Right, I will try that next week so, maybe I will start with his mid day bottle and then the week after we will expand to getting his night bottle in a beaker. Break him in slowly! Hopefully he will surprise me and he will let go of the bottle easy enough, fingers crossed. Suppose key is once you change not to go back to bottle and stick to your guns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

How are all the mamas and babies? Technically toddlers now!

We are having a tough few days. Her molars are pushing and she has reacted to the MMR so it's a double whammy for her. She screamed the house down last night, nothing would settle her and ended up with her falling asleep in my arms sitting up on the bed with a little heg in her heart. Hoping for a better night tonight but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Oh I'm with you with the teething. My guy has been ok so far but the last few weeks his teeth are at him a lot. Cheeks go bright red and he's waking at night. I'm just taking him in the bed with me. I know it's a bad habit but he settles straight away then and he just goes through phases.

Dreading the 12 month injections. Booked in for next week. How have babies reacted after them?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Sorry you’re both having a tough time with teething. My girl is so slow with her teeth. She still only has 4!

Had the 12 month injections on Monday and she’s been fine. She did have a red patch around the MMR injection site but it doesn’t seem to have been painful and it’s faded now. The nurse warned me she might get a rash in 7-10 days time that will look like the measles but not to panic as it’s not. Hope your little one gets on ok with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all hope all the mammies & babies are doing well.
    We got the fantastic news yesterday that my partners cancer didn’t spread any further!!! Feel so relieved & just ready to move on now! He’s out of work for another month but we can live with that.

The baby is another story though. She has turned into the most clingy whingy baby ever! And it’s just with me. The minute she sees me she starts. Don’t know what’s up with her. She just wants to be picked up all the time. Is anyone else going through this?
    Her birthday was Wednesday and she loved it! Just had cake with close family. Was lovely day.

Hope all are doing well and the teething pain stops soon

Deh that's absolutely fantastic news. Hopefully now you'll have a plan to focus on! On the clingyness- in the same boat here. He's waking at night too wanting cuddles. I'm just going with it and presuming it's a phase. I read there's some developmental thing going on around this age so presuming it's that.

Ally glad your little one was ok. I hate the injections. It's funny how they all get teeth differently. My niece had none when she was one! My guy has definitely 9 possibly more. He won't let me check!

So happy for you Deh, that's brilliant news.

It was just a week after the MMR that she showed signs of reacting. Just very irritable and whingy and that is so not her. Loss of appetite too, she was pushing food away which is definitely not her! Rash appeared yesterday which was day 10. My mother knew what it was so didn't tell me about it til I came home from work.
    So hard on her cos those big teeth are ready to erupt. We had her 8 front teeth in very easy but these ones are so big and blunt you know every time she gets a dag from them.

So happy for you Deh, that’s wonderful news. My own baba is definitely a bit clingier these days, she’s in the middle of a developmental leap so it could be down to that.

Thanks all for your kind wishes.

Have any of ye changed to cows milk yet? We just changed during the week but it’s a bit hit & miss. She used to polish off bottles now doesn’t seem too bothered with them.
    We are down to one nap which is around 12 for up to 2 hours. She could do with another short one in the afternoon but sometimes it just doesn’t happen.

• Advertisement

Also curious about the cows milk. My guy not 1 until next week. Do I just switch straight over? And just keep doing the usually ounces? I'm so confused.

Deh, what wonderful news, I am sure your relief is unbelievable! Really am so happy for you and your family, awful to have to go through all of that.

I terms of cows milk, my wee man has been getting a mix, I make up about 4 oz of formula and then top up the bottle with cows milk to about 9/10 oz and ill continue that till the formula is gone then it will be cows milk exclusively. He seems to love it! He has been having it in porridge etc since he was six months though. Don't think we will have problems with full cows milk, hope not anyway.

I think I asked before but now that it is vaccination time again I am wondering about the chicken pox vaccine and what everyone is doing. I am so undecided, I want him to have it to prevent him getting it, all the viruses he has had this winter have made me vow to do anything I can to stave off illness. On the other hand I hear there is a risk of shingles later in life because of it...... What are you guys thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Vooice

We are planning on giving the chickenpox vaccine after some reading up and talking to my GP about it. It's on the list to do!
    Shingles is caused by the same virus as chickenpox so anyone who has had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine can get Shingles later in life. The virus stays dormant in the body. It's thought that Shingles should be milder if that person had the chickenpox vaccine as they recieve a lower dose of the virus. It's usually people 60+ who get Shingles so I guess that data isn't there yet (1995 was when vaccine came into States).

greenttc wrote: »
    Deh, what wonderful news, I am sure your relief is unbelievable! Really am so happy for you and your family, awful to have to go through all of that.

I terms of cows milk, my wee man has been getting a mix, I make up about 4 oz of formula and then top up the bottle with cows milk to about 9/10 oz and ill continue that till the formula is gone then it will be cows milk exclusively. He seems to love it! He has been having it in porridge etc since he was six months though. Don't think we will have problems with full cows milk, hope not anyway.

I think I asked before but now that it is vaccination time again I am wondering about the chicken pox vaccine and what everyone is doing. I am so undecided, I want him to have it to prevent him getting it, all the viruses he has had this winter have made me vow to do anything I can to stave off illness. On the other hand I hear there is a risk of shingles later in life because of it...... What are you guys thinking?

Vooice wrote: »
    We are planning on giving the chickenpox vaccine after some reading up and talking to my GP about it. It's on the list to do!
    Shingles is caused by the same virus as chickenpox so anyone who has had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine can get Shingles later in life. The virus stays dormant in the body. It's thought that Shingles should be milder if that person had the chickenpox vaccine as they recieve a lower dose of the virus. It's usually people 60+ who get Shingles so I guess that data isn't there yet (1995 was when vaccine came into States).

Its so hard when reading articles to separate out what the actual evidence is versus scaremongering from anti vax types. The NHS gave a good argument against saying that it does create a higher risk for contracting shingles as adults, I need to read it again though cause at first reading it seemed that the vaccine may protect the person who received it but put the general adult population at risk, need a clearer more rested brain to research properly! But if I read it correct does it make us selfish giving the vaccine?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/chickenpox-vaccine-questions-answers/

Another article I don't have a link for says that shingles can indeed be gotten by the vaccinated and those who got it naturally but the vaccinated will get a worse dose of it than those who went through having chicken pox.

Why do some countries have chicken pox vaccine programmes though if there is all this evidence about shingles? Who is right the British or the Americans?

Why is this so hard? Just want to do what is best for my child and there is too much conflicting info out there!

Brilliant news deh, such a relief for you all I'm sure.

We had the clingy baby for a couple of weeks there too but thankfully seems to have passed.

She's flying with the walking now. Its so funny and cute to see the wee waddle before the inevitable fall.

We haven't had the 12 month jabs yet as she's had ear infection after ear infection since Christmas. Hopefully we'll get it sorted next week before the snotty letter from HSE arrives reminding me about it.

We actually managed to get off bottles over weekend! It wasn't really intended but we were at at family function over weekend and had to travel. So the formula just went into her beaker on Saturday for the meal part and she never looked for the bottle, even at bedtime and was same yesterday. I've a bit of formula to use up and then hopefully we'll be free from that too!

We moved our girl onto cow's milk around 10 days ago and it's all gone really smoothly, it's like she hasn't even noticed the difference.

I'm a bit more worried about phasing out bottles and moving to a beaker. Can I ask you all what beakers / cups you use? I give my girl water in one with some meals at the moment and I don't know does she mess with it and leave half of it spill or dribble out of her mouth because water doesn't interest her as much as milk. Or if it's a problem with the cup. We're using this one at the moment and it's the one we've had most success with: https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=286691132

Would love to know what cups you're using.

ally_pally wrote:
    Would love to know what cups you're using.

I'm using a nuk beaker. Can't share the link on the phone. I used a similar nuk one when my three year old was 12 months and so far so good with younger baba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Can anyone recommend a cream for eczema? Liam has it all along the backs of his legs and in the crease at the back of his knees. It looks awful, god love him

Can anyone recommend a cream for eczema? Liam has it all along the backs of his legs and in the crease at the back of his knees. It looks awful, god love him

Thankfully my girl hasn't had eczema so you'll probably get better answers from others. But I've found La Roche Posay Cicaplast to be amazing at clearing up any and all skin issues. And it's only around €6 and widely available.

ally_pally wrote:
    Thankfully my girl hasn't had eczema so you'll probably get better answers from others. But I've found La Roche Posay Cicaplast to be amazing at clearing up any and all skin issues. And it's only around €6 and widely available.

Same here but my friend swears by Childs Farm for her little ones eczema. Another friend uses it on her psoriasis. Available in Boots.

• Advertisement

How are we all doing? Cabin fever is setting in here. Babs is as bored as I am with staying in. Trying to entertain her as much as possible and play with her but I'm officially meant to be working from home which sucks. Luckily hubby took yesterday and today off so he's helped keep her entertained til I finish "working".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well we are snowed in. Massive drifts on the roads. We had a power cut for six hours today too. We are well stocked up though and would be grand for a few days. Twin 1 is busy busy and climbing everywhere ! Twin 2 is very sweet at the moment and beginning to crawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Hope everyone survived the weather without going too crazy!

Liam is with my parents as I had to travel down to Dublin for work today and didn’t want to put him through the mad expedition across the city without public transport. I’ll be away from him 5 days in total... my heart is breaking! However I’m so sick and miserable and exhausted with this pregnancy that I’m very glad of the rest.

We stopped breastfeeding last week. I could cry just thinking about it. 13 months in and it still made him so happy - I just have to fiddle with my bra strap and he goes nuts with excitement at the thought of milk! I feel genuinely really sad that we have stopped, but I’m on antisickness meds now and they don’t seem to be compatible with nursing so that was that.

End of a beautiful journey. I’ve loved every minute of it. Sob!!!

Entertaining these one year old is hard work isn't it. I feel your sadness caitriona with not seeing your Liam for 5 days but it is a real conflict in my head, would hate not to see my wee man but would also like a break from him.... 5 days in a row with very little getting out is haaaard! And as I said on another thread, I feel like a terrible mother saying that! I just don't have the energy to keep up with him the whole time, hoping that my energy will be back in a few weeks when I get into the second trimester.

Kinda wishing the snow would disappear now, lovely to look at but not for this long!!! And I am a bit sad for the babas that they won't remember it at all and aren't old enough to properly get any enjoyment out of it. Much and all as I am wishing it gone I hope it is back in a few years so that our children will get to play in it and remember it.

I was thinking of you pregnant ladies and wondering how you were doing. I remember the exhaustion, nausea and having to deal with a toddler all too well. It does get easier once the three months passes I swear! Hope you're all keeping well.

We got very little snow up here where I am! Very lucky I know but wouldn't have minded a wee snow day just the same.

Baba doing good, walking away and off the bottles completely and doesn't even seem to miss it. I make one formula in her beaker in the morning and its cows milk all the way. I'm going to donate her bottles and steriliser to charity shop soon as I'm fairly sure I won't be needing them again....though reading about you ladies expecting another is pulling at me I must admit!!

Hi all. Completely snowed in here for the last 3 days. We live in a village though so have been able to get out for air thank god. The baby loves being out in it but it was just too cold for her so had to keep her in. The 3 year old loved it though!

Babs is still hit & miss in the cows milk. Devours the morning one but isn’t at all interested in the night one. She eventually drinks it but it’s a struggle. Her naps have also gone completely haywire. Only slept an hour today 😞 there’s a big sleep regression around now I think though so just hoping it passes soon.
    I was supposed to go away for the night tonight & had to cancel. I would pay good money for a break at the minute so don’t feel one bit guilty catrionaic or greenttc!! Enjoy every minute

Hey guys. Hope you're all keeping well.
    Catriona I totally get the disappointment stopping breastfeeding and I think it's amazing you did it so long! We got to 8 months but when he got teeth he was biting too much and I couldn't take the pain. I still really miss it and can't wait for my next nursling.
    Pregnancy wise I'm feeling great thank God. 20 weeks now and belly kinda popped but still feel I just look fat.

I have questions about the milk. Am introducing cows milk gradually. And he's taking it fine. But he won't drink from a beaker. How long should you keep up bottles for? Like when should they be off bottles altogether?

I was trying to remember when the fat look changed into pregnant look too dreamstar, so not at 20 weeks anyway, damn!!

My wee man is on cows milk now too and he will drink out of a beaker but drinks far more from his bottle. I haven't had the heart to change his night time bottle to a beaker, he just loves lying back in my arms drinking his bottles and sometimes even falling asleep.

My mother in law isn't a favour of getting rid of the bottle at all yet and wondered why I hadn't left a bottle of milk in the cot with him overnight so he could have his own little drinks..... Madness!!!

I would love to be rid of the bottles now though and am kinda thinking the later I leave it the harder it will be, a bit like taking the soother off him (which I did at around 4/5 months and realise that I did it just in time before he became really aware of things). So we will have to bite the bullet and go cold turkey I think. When though...? Wouldn't mind hearing other peoples experiences either!!!

Yeah green I'm so unsure of it too. My guy won't drink from a beaker or cup at all. So I need to work on that. But yeah I think I'll keep the night time bottle for a while. He loves it and it's our cuddle time. I don't see the harm in keeping it for a bit.
    Seems a bit much to stop bottles altogether after 12 months. That what is recommended by some people online.

• Advertisement

Check up with the paediatrician today, no sign of the heart murmur that was detected when she was 5 months old. So relieved! He'll see her again in a year's time to officially discharge her.

Advertisement