Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Wonderful news smaoifs, that must be such a relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

ally_pally wrote:
    Wonderful news smaoifs, that must be such a relief.

It sure is! I knew myself she was fine but you always have that little moment of doubt when you're actually with the doctor.
    She also weighs 10.3kg at 13 months after being 3.21 at birth so we're delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

smaoifs wrote: »
    Check up with the paediatrician today, no sign of the heart murmur that was detected when she was 5 months old. So relieved! He'll see her again in a year's time to officially discharge her.

Fantastic news! Delighted for yous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Are the other kiddos talking much? Liam is trying to say everyyyttthhhiiinnngggg. It’s dead funny though as he, for some reason, doesn’t say the first consonant of every word. So bus is ussss, car is arrr, cot is ottt, tractor is “ack-errrr”. He’s obsessed with cars and bikes and buses and planes and tractors. And animals. His favourite word to say is Apple, which he says really clearly. But he calls every type of fruit an apple. He’s also obsessed with hats - constantly putting things on his head and saying “attt”. We passed a few nuns and a Muslim lady last week and he was pointing and yelling “atttt!!!!!!!!”

Are the other kiddos talking much? Liam is trying to say everyyyttthhhiiinnngggg. It’s dead funny though as he, for some reason, doesn’t say the first consonant of every word. So bus is ussss, car is arrr, cot is ottt, tractor is “ack-errrr”. He’s obsessed with cars and bikes and buses and planes and tractors. And animals. His favourite word to say is Apple, which he says really clearly. But he calls every type of fruit an apple. He’s also obsessed with hats - constantly putting things on his head and saying “attt”. We passed a few nuns and a Muslim lady last week and he was pointing and yelling “atttt!!!!!!!!”

Awwww noway! That's so cute! My guy is making loads of noise and trying to talk but no words yet. Well not beyond mama, baba, dada. But I swear he repeated the word dungarees one day! :p

• Advertisement

Dungarees, that’s impressive haha! Liam actually refuses to say mama. Lots of dadas all the time but never a mama. Poor old me!

He also loves saying “yuck!” And “dirty”. And he has a field day when we change a dirty nappy and say yuck and pull faces... he thinks poo is hilarious and laughs his head off at our reactions!

He’s also started occasionally telling me when he’s about to go or has just done a poo. He points to his nappy and says “ooo”. Hoping this is a sign he might potty train early!

Awww it's so lovely to see their little personalities coming out. I love when we're out on a walk and he keeps pulling the blanket over his head and then pulling it down quick. Laughs his head off when I say Boo. I do be walking up the road like a mad woman in fits laughing.

I think that is definitely a really good sign of early training. It means he is aware of what's happening. Great to have that so early.
    Anyone had their 13 month injections yet? How'd they go? Finally the last ones!!!!

Lots of attempts at animal noises here. “Oof oof” for a dog, “caw caw” for crows, “ack ack” for ducks. Not much else though. Occasional mama and dada but I’m not sure those are deliberate. I had always been told girls talk early and are slower to walk. Well she’s proving that every child is different. She’s mad for walking and climbing but not much chat yet.

dreamstar wrote: »
    Anyone had their 13 month injections yet? How'd they go? Finally the last ones!!!!

Had the 13 month jabs this week and it was all fine. She had no reaction to them at all thankfully. She definitely cried more at these than any other but I’m putting that down to a badly timed appointment (it was naptime) and the long wait we had beforehand.

A new thing she did which made me laugh was after the second injection she decided she had had enough, wriggled out of my lap and walked out of the nurse’s office. Thankfully it was just two jabs. She’d have lost her mind if I had to drag her back for a third!

Yes our jabs were fine too, no reactions. We also had more tears but the nurse said this is normal because they remember their 12 months jabs! Liam was pointing to the door and shouting, “out!!” before the needle even went near him!

• Advertisement

We have lots of hiya, mama, dada and nana along with very good attempts at all gone and good girl. She clicks her tongue to call the dog and she says aaaaay and points at her alphabet poster (like the Fonz!!). Her cutest thing is kissing my cheek and saying muh. She also says uhoh when she deliberately drops things in the floor!
    Had the 13 month jabs on Tuesday, all good, no reactions but nurse said that's normal cos these ones are boosters.

Great to know the jabs went fine. Thankfully the 12 month ones were grand so I'm sure he'll be grand this time. His legs were obviously sore though coz he definitely wasn't moving around as much and was afraid to plop himself down on the floor. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all hope everyone is keeping well and enjoyed the nice weather for a change!

We’re only getting our 12 month jabs tomorrow. Thoughts of it.
    Can I ask has anyone else’s Babs gone off their food. This one flat out refuses dinner no matter what it is. Has a freak attack even sitting in the fight chair but it’s only dinner. Very strange.

Could I also ask what routines ye are on now?? Are ye still 2 naps and roughly how long awake between naps?? I seem to have lost this one a bit and have some time off work now so going to try change things a bit. She has gone very cranky & clingy lately too.

Hope the hour change didn’t go too badly for ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

We're still to get 12 months jabs as well. Our baba seems to have had a constant ear infection since Christmas and has barely gone a week off antibiotics since then either. Hopefully we'll get them done in next few weeks.

Our routine is roughly wake at 7.30 and up until around 11.00/11.30. If she sleeps just an hour, she'll get another catnap but if she sleeps for two hours we try ride it out until bed time. We're trying to stretch out first nap until 12ish but she's falling apart come 11! She goes to bed anytime between 7 and 8 depending on the naps beforehand.

We're eating great at moment and she loves cows milk. We can't keep her in milk which is completely alien to us as rest of us can take or leave it! She's so independent though and won't let us feed her and she wants to feed herself which is extremely messy!

Shes got a real taste for outside with this good weather and is always making her way to back door shouting "hat hat". Gonna be a fun summer!

She has a few words, mama and Dada, dodo, hat, oh no, and of course Peppa. What is it with that Pig!

We’re still on two naps here. Thought she might be ready to go to one and experimented a bit over the last long weekend but it just wasn’t working.

Her routine is to wake between 7.30-8.00. Down for a nap around 3.5 hours later. This nap can be anything from 1-2 hours but is usually around 1.5. Then a short cat nap around 5 for around half an hour. I know everything I read says not to let babies her age to sleep beyond 4 but this works for us. She’ll wake around 5.45 and is then ready for bed at 8.

We're still on two naps here and I've no intention of dropping one yet. He seems to need his sleep. Wakes around 7:30. Naps at 10 for an hour and then again at 2 for two hours. Bed at 7:30.
    He is also fussy with his food. I think he's getting fed up of spoon feeds and it might be time to try more finger foods with him. Just trying to get some ideas.
    We had 12 month injections two weeks ago. Was dreading them as I'd heard these are the toughest but he was totally fine. Appetite fine and slept like normal. Legs were very sore for 2 days and he wasn't crawling much but his form was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Ahhhh I am so jealous of all the two naps! Our wee man is just having one. He gets up around 6.45 and then has nap from 1-3 and then bedtime is 7. Saying that though, while It would be nice to have a break in the morning if he napped it is great to be able to get out for the whole morning and not worry about having to getting him home for a nap. He only really sleeps in his cot, no buggy naps with our lad!

Eating is going okay, he definitely has his favourite things, anything saucy or sweet and he loves carbs like pasta and bread. He likes cheese too. Always has a big bowl of porridge I the morning at around 7 and toast and fruit (far more than I would have!) a snack at 9. Lunch at 11 snack at 3 when he wakes, dinner at 5. Two 8oz bottles of cows milk before each sleep at 1 and 7. Still haven't gotten the bottle off him. We have given him milk in a beaker before his nap but he only drinks maybe 2 oz rather than the 8 if we give him the bottle. So that's not going too well!!!

WOW green sounds like he's doing great with his food! What do you give as snacks? I struggle for healthy snacks after cucumber, toast and fruit.

Also with the bottles - why does everyone rush to stop the bottles? A lot of my friends stopped them after 12 months. But my guy loves his bottles so I'm not rushing to stop them.

We are down to one nap this last few weeks. It’s been the best thing ever because he generally naps for 1-2 hours, but has now started sleeping through the night at long last! He generally sleeps 10 or 11 hours at night. It’s amazing.

He is also being fussy with food, deh983. Sometimes he wolfs it down, and other times he will just have 2-5 spoonfuls and start spitting it out. There’s no pattern with what type of food he does this with. He will do it with spoonfeeds or finger food. Not sure what to do about it.

He eats the most unbelievably large breakfasts though. Bigger than mine and bigger than his daddy’s!

WOW green sounds like he's doing great with his food! What do you give as snacks? I struggle for healthy snacks after cucumber, toast and fruit.

Also with the bottles - why does everyone rush to stop the bottles? A lot of my friends stopped them after 12 months. But my guy loves his bottles so I'm not rushing to stop them.

I have probably made him sound better than he actually his, he definitely refuses to eat sometimes and spits things out or throws them on the floor!

Snacks can be fruit a lot of the time, peanut butter on ricecakes or maybe oatcakes, hummus is a big favourite too. Sometimes i will have made up a batch of egg muffins or things like pea fritters which i have frozen and i will heat one of those up for him. Baby bel cheese are so good especially when you are out, the packaging is perfect. Toasted potato farls or boxty are good when at home too! Always trying to think ofmnew stuff so suggestions are welcome!

Maybe you are right and we are being mean trying to take bottles away now, i just read that now is the time to do it before they find it very hard to let go of them in a few months.i just havent had the heart to do it yet! Saying that i was very glad i got rid of the soother when i did before he was too aware to miss it so maybe i should bite the bullet and do it!

• Advertisement

Oh I'll have to start making some muffins - great idea. And never thought of rice cakes. Have to try them.
    Oh no I don't think it's mean to stop the bottles I'm just in no rush to do it i guess. He loves his bottles. But I do need to start getting him to use his beaker more.

Oh I'll have to start making some muffins - great idea. And never thought of rice cakes. Have to try them.
    Oh no I don't think it's mean to stop the bottles I'm just in no rush to do it i guess. He loves his bottles. But I do need to start getting him to use his beaker more.

It does feel a bit mean trying to take away something that they love though!! Poor babas!

Yeah the egg muffins are great cause you can put anything you like into them veggies, cheese, I have put quinoa in to them before and it was good. And they freeze really well, just dump them all in a freezer bag then 20 seconds in the microwave to defrost, very handy!

Will have to try these egg muffins too! Snacks with us are lots of fruit, rice cakes, hummus, little bread sticks. But I’m always trying to find new ideas.

We thankfully don’t have any feeding problems, if anything we have the opposite. I’ve never seen my girl seem full or not be interested in food or not like a particular food. I know it’s great in lots of ways that she’s such a good eater but there’s no way I could allow her to eat as much as she likes or she’d be really unhealthy.

She never seems hungry as she gets good sized meals and some snacks. But she will never ever refuse food either!

Ally my guy is exactly the same. He'll have his dinner and yoghurt and still be looking for our food. I was worried I'm not giving him enough but as my mum said- as long as they're sleeping well and in good form they're not hungry. But yeah I'm doubting everything I'm doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Thanks for all the replies. Seems we’re on the same routine as most of ye so I’m reassured that I’m not doing too much wrong. I was just concerned that she had gone to 1 nap too soon.
    She used to be a monster for eating. Her nickname is the tank :) but all of a sudden it’s just dinner she has no interest in. Will eat most other things and loves cheese yoghurts etc. Just a phase I suppose and will eventually pass. Hope I don’t have a fussy eater. Her brother will literally eat anything and always has done thank god

Happy Easter February mums! It's not the babas first Easters but it is the first where they are eating, wee man had his first taste of chocolate today, it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped but he loved it, to him it was just yet another food that he liked, he just didn't get the significance of it like we did! I won't be giving him chocolate again for a good long while, he just doesn't need to have it so I will keep him away from it, he got more excited about a nectarine so I will keep giving him those instead!

Hope your all having a lovely day!

Deh, just thought of you before I was about to press post, hope all is good in your house too and that hubby is doing well!

greenttc wrote:
    Happy Easter February mums! It's not the babas first Easters but it is the first where they are eating, wee man had his first taste of chocolate today, it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped but he loved it, to him it was just yet another food that he liked, he just didn't get the significance of it like we did! I won't be giving him chocolate again for a good long while, he just doesn't need to have it so I will keep him away from it, he got more excited about a nectarine so I will keep giving him those instead!

Happy Easter! She ended up with 5 eggs and 2 chocolate bunnies. Her aunts went a little crazy when Tesco had 5 for €5. I've kept the chocolate bunnies but donated the Easter Eggs to Barnardos, work was doing a drive to collect them to be distributed today so I was more than happy to be that mean mammy who gave away her child's Easter Eggs lol

I feel exactly the same as you green. Gave her her first taste yesterday - I’m not counting the giant Bailey’s chocolate she managed to wander off and get into her gob over Christmas that I had to prise out of her mouth. She loved it but she would be just as enthusiastic about some carrot or plum.

My mother thinks I’m horribly mean not giving her more junk, but why would I give her food she doesn’t need or particularly want. I had a lovely weekend visiting family but I’m feeling the effects of having to defend the food we were giving our girl. Exhausting!

ally_pally wrote:
    My mother thinks I’m horribly mean not giving her more junk, but why would I give her food she doesn’t need or particularly want. I had a lovely weekend visiting family but I’m feeling the effects of having to defend the food we were giving our girl. Exhausting!

We're in the exact same boat. One of her aunts gave her a packet of giant white chocolate buttons. We took it away so auntie opened the packet and started handing her the sweets. So unfair after we had already told her we would be giving her her tea once we were home. She's had tastes of chocolate before but it's not something she looks for, she's more interested in fruit and yogurt as snacks.

• Advertisement

Ah ally and smaoifs isn't it awful to be judged for your decisions with your child, it's especially annoying when you are clearly doing the right thing, it's not like the babies are asking for chocolate or feeling left out, it's our responsibility to keep them as healthy as possible, very frustrating.

Luckily my family are totally on my side and my mum even has the likes of oatcakes to give wee man when she makes tea and biscuits and has unsalted butter as she doesn't want him too have too much salt as well as sugar. My husbands family though are different, they don't actually give him sweets but I know they think k I am going way over the top and their children constantly have sweets and ice cream and cakes in their hands, I am scared of when my wee man starts to want them and it will be hard to say no when all his cousins are stuffing their faces with rubbish.

Smaoifs I would have been so angry with that aunt and the aunt would have known about it!! Hence why my in laws think I am crazy, especially when I don't hold back with giving out!

Advertisement