Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

CheerLouth wrote: »
    6 weeks today! :) No sickness yet really, few moments of feeling a bit horrible but it passes. Feel very bloated though & tired, so tired. But happy tired :)

Aw that's great. I'm just slightly behind. I'll be 6 weeks on Saturday.
    Like you - no sickness yet - which has me worried. My boobs are SUPER sore though and am EXHAUSTED.
    Anyone else getting cramps still? I'm getting slight cramps every so often and I can't help freaking out a bit when it happens.

Have my first booking appointment in the hospital tomorrow - EEEEKK!!
    Still can't believe it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Yep, I'm still getting some cramps. Comes & goes. I'm not too worried about the sickness, I was ok on my first baby, was just overwhelmingly tired. Am wishing the weeks away so that we can tell everyone. Feeling a bit anxious to be honest & trying not to be.

Wow, that booking app is really early, Dreamstar! What hosp is that, do you mind me asking? I'm hovering over the post ever day but no letter so far but GP says booking app will be at 12/14 weeks.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Yep, I'm still getting some cramps. Comes & goes. I'm not too worried about the sickness, I was ok on my first baby, was just overwhelmingly tired. Am wishing the weeks away so that we can tell everyone. Feeling a bit anxious to be honest & trying not to be.

Wow, that booking app is really early, Dreamstar! What hosp is that, do you mind me asking? I'm hovering over the post ever day but no letter so far but GP says booking app will be at 12/14 weeks.

Well that's reassuring to know that the cramps aren't just me. I totally get the anxious feelings - I've had a miscarriage before so just can't help but be a bit nervous.

I have a bit of a medical history - was diagnosed with cancer last year, had an ovary removed and had chemo. So my GP requested an early assessment. Nurse said she would book me in tomorrow and do a little scan. Then I have another scan the following week and another one at 8 weeks. So hopefully I'll get some reassurance. I'm with Holles St. Which hospital are you going to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Dreamstar don't be worried that you have no sickness, enjoy it! Some people never get it (lucky ducks), others just get it a little bit, others get it very bad. I was vaguely nauseous from 6-9 weeks, then again at 17-19 weeks, only threw up when I had a virus at 8 weeks.

dreamstar wrote: »
    Well that's reassuring to know that the cramps aren't just me. I totally get the anxious feelings - I've had a miscarriage before so just can't help but be a bit nervous.

I have a bit of a medical history - was diagnosed with cancer last year, had an ovary removed and had chemo. So my GP requested an early assessment. Nurse said she would book me in tomorrow and do a little scan. Then I have another scan the following week and another one at 8 weeks. So hopefully I'll get some reassurance. I'm with Holles St. Which hospital are you going to?

You have been through the wringer! Hope it is all good news from now on! Nice that you will have a scan tomorrow! I'm attending OLOL.

I'm not sure why I'm so anxious. I think part of it is hormones & part of it is a feeling of being too lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Padme

I have no morning sickness either, didn't have any on my son too so I guess I'm really lucky. I've been feeling a little bit nauseous this time when I get hungry or tired, but that's about it. I nearly passed out today, I had to stand for an hour at an event, and I ended up having to leave early because I was about to faint. That's new.
    I'm going to see my gp this evening for my first pregnancy appointment with him, so I'll mention it while I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I sort of unexpectedly had a scan yesterday. I was in with my GP with a paranoid query a few weeks ago, she said she'd get the opinion of the consultant I was previously seeing in the Rotunda for fertility issues. I thought she'd call me back with the answer or, to be honest, I had actually kind of forgotten about it. But anyway, I ended up with an appointment with the consultant yesterday and had an early scan. It was a nerve-wracking couple of minutes as he was moving the thingy around and I could just see nothing. But eventually, there it was, just a tiny white blob, but with a flickering heartbeat. It was amazing. This is my first pregnancy and as a very natural worrier, I had so many fears about going for my first scan and there being nothing there. Or that I was going through some sort of phantom pregnancy and I was imagining it all because I wanted it so much. (I swear I'm not as insane as this sounds!) So I feel so reassured after that, it makes it all so much more real.

ally_pally wrote: »
    I sort of unexpectedly had a scan yesterday. I was in with my GP with a paranoid query a few weeks ago, she said she'd get the opinion of the consultant I was previously seeing in the Rotunda for fertility issues. I thought she'd call me back with the answer or, to be honest, I had actually kind of forgotten about it. But anyway, I ended up with an appointment with the consultant yesterday and had an early scan. It was a nerve-wracking couple of minutes as he was moving the thingy around and I could just see nothing. But eventually, there it was, just a tiny white blob, but with a flickering heartbeat. It was amazing. This is my first pregnancy and as a very natural worrier, I had so many fears about going for my first scan and there being nothing there. Or that I was going through some sort of phantom pregnancy and I was imagining it all because I wanted it so much. (I swear I'm not as insane as this sounds!) So I feel so reassured after that, it makes it all so much more real.

Oh wow! That's fab Ally! Must have been an amazing feeling! And how far gone are you?

I had my early booking appointment yesterday. Just going through history and did bloods etc. They did scan me just to rule out ectopic and to check a cyst that I knew was there. So all is where it should be but was too early to make anything out. I was only 5 weeks 3 days. Will have another one next week which will be the internal one. Think they can see more with that one.

I'm just getting nervous with tummy cramps I'm getting on and off. I've heard it's normal and not to worry but it's so nerve wrecking. The next few weeks I will just be a bag of nerves - it's awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Me again :) Sorry to be interloping but dreamstar I've seen your story and am so glad to see your news and want to help out with any info :) I had cramps that convinced me my period was hours away before my bfp, and then for about 4-6 weeks (4-10 weeks pregnant) I had various abdominal cramps pretty much every day. Everything is stretching in ways it has never had to do before, so it makes for lots of sore muscles and funny twinges. For a while every time I laughed sneezed coughed or just got up from sitting I got a burny twinge on either side, lots of yelping! :)

Me again :) Sorry to be interloping but dreamstar I've seen your story and am so glad to see your news and want to help out with any info :) I had cramps that convinced me my period was hours away before my bfp, and then for about 4-6 weeks (4-10 weeks pregnant) I had various abdominal cramps pretty much every day. Everything is stretching in ways it has never had to do before, so it makes for lots of sore muscles and funny twinges. For a while every time I laughed sneezed coughed or just got up from sitting I got a burny twinge on either side, lots of yelping! :)

Aw thanks so much Spotty! That's so sweet! I suppose I'm nearly thinking it's all too good to be true!
    I'm getting cramps at night a bit and can't get back asleep. And I can't tell if I can't sleep because they are bad cramps or if I'm just nervous then. Hard not to overthink it all. Good to know you had them too. Even though I read that most people do get them.

And the awful thing is when I get cramps I'm fully expecting to find blood when I go to the loo! It's awful! But I have had no spotting or anything thank god!

• Advertisement

I totally agree with spottybananas - your body is going through unprecedented changes, so all sorts of twinges, cramps, niggles and pains are to be expected. I know it's easy to say, but a different thing when you're going through it yourself. Hopefully your appointment yesterday reassured you and everything must be progressing as normal.

I was 7 weeks 6 days yesterday having the scan, although the machine measured me as 7 weeks 3 days. The doctor said that at that very early stage there's a margin or error of around 4 or 5 days with the measuring / dating system.

He also spoke to us about having genetic screening done, just as an option. He said around 1/3 of couples have it done, 2/3 don't. I'm really unsure, I had never thought about it up to now. My husband seems keen to do it, but I'm very unsure, mainly I think because I don't know how I would react if it showed we were at high risk for a particular condition. Has anyone else here had it done or thought about it? Would love to know your thoughts.

He also spoke to us about having genetic screening done, just as an option. He said around 1/3 of couples have it done, 2/3 don't. I'm really unsure, I had never thought about it up to now. My husband seems keen to do it, but I'm very unsure, mainly I think because I don't know how I would react if it showed we were at high risk for a particular condition. Has anyone else here had it done or thought about it? Would love to know your thoughts.

Ooooh that's a tough one! I'm not sure how I'd feel either. What does a test involve - is it a blood test?
    I think curiosity would get me and I would do it. Just to be prepared I guess - but that is a tough one.

Yeah the appointment yesterday did definitely reassure me. I just can't wait to be able to see / hear a heartbeat. Then I think I'll relax a bit more. :D

Yes, it's just a blood test. The doctor described how a pregnant mother will have fragments of the baby's DNA in her blood stream so the test sort of amplifies that DNA and it can be tested. I think I'll read up and think about it some more as it was something entirely new to me.

If your next scan is next week then hopefully you'll see the heartbeat there. It definitely made it all the more real for us. We've decided to tell family weekend after next. I'll be visiting family then - it's not really the kind of news I want to give over the phone. And we'll tell his family when we're back. I'll (touch wood) be 9 weeks then - still not out of the woods by then, but we'll feel reasonably confident in telling a few close people.

We've decided to tell family weekend after next.

Eeeek excitement. :D:D:D

I can't WAIT to tell everyone.
    Just going to wait and see how the next few scans go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Weird one today. My parent's dog (2 year old ShihTzu x Jack Russell) went to guard his food EVERYTIME I moved.
    He's normally not a bit bothered by me, even since I've been pregnant he's just been a bit more gentle on my lap but today must have thought I was after his food.
    He's not aggressive with me but was pretty much letting me know ir was his not mine. I'm emotional of course and took it personally!

Yes, it's just a blood test. The doctor described how a pregnant mother will have fragments of the baby's DNA in her blood stream so the test sort of amplifies that DNA and it can be tested. I think I'll read up and think about it some more as it was something entirely new to me.

If your next scan is next week then hopefully you'll see the heartbeat there. It definitely made it all the more real for us. We've decided to tell family weekend after next. I'll be visiting family then - it's not really the kind of news I want to give over the phone. And we'll tell his family when we're back. I'll (touch wood) be 9 weeks then - still not out of the woods by then, but we'll feel reasonably confident in telling a few close people.

I'm having it done, it's the harmony test, a scan and blood test. I'm going to the merrion clinic beside holles street for it. I'm booked in for Monday week, I'll be 11 and a bit weeks then.

Padme wrote:
    I'm having it done, it's the harmony test, a scan and blood test. I'm going to the merrion clinic beside holles street for it. I'm booked in for Monday week, I'll be 11 and a bit weeks then.

Can I ask - how much does this test cost? Should it ne done at a particular time?

Can I ask - how much does this test cost? Should it ne done at a particular time?

It's €550 in the merrion clinic. They said it can be done from 10w2d

So im trying not to freak out but I've had a bit of spotting today. It's just a tad scary. I have no cramping at all and just slight pinkish stain that is now brown - sorry for tmi.
    Anyone else gotten this? Am just 6 weeks. Am in hospital Wednesday anyway so will just keep an eye until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stinam87

Could be just implementation spotting. If you end up getting cramps along with it then I would probably go to the hospital to be on the safe side

• Advertisement

So im trying not to freak out but I've had a bit of spotting today. It's just a tad scary. I have no cramping at all and just slight pinkish stain that is now brown - sorry for tmi.
    Anyone else gotten this? Am just 6 weeks. Am in hospital Wednesday anyway so will just keep an eye until then.

I had brown spotting for over a week around six and a half weeks. I'm on cyclogest, so the clinic thinks it was probably irritation from that. I went in for a scan so they could see if anything was going on.

Padme wrote:
    I had brown spotting for over a week around six and a half weeks. I'm on cyclogest, so the clinic thinks it was probably irritation from that. I went in for a scan so they could see if anything was going on.

Yeah I have a scan on Wednesday so glad I have that. Spotting seems to be easing off but you just get such a fright! :-(

Yeah I have a scan on Wednesday so glad I have that. Spotting seems to be easing off but you just get such a fright! :-(

Hope you are feeling ok, Dreamstar. It's a horrible thing! I had it on my first pregnancy between weeks 7 & 8 and it was an awful fright. Thankfully, it was nothing, but my GP did refer me to the EPU for a scan. Hopefully, your scan on Wed will set your mind at ease. Sending good thoughts!

Hi Dreamstar,

I had that around 6-7 weeks. Sometimes pinkish, sometimes very light brownish. It freaked me out but everything I read said that pink and brown spotting are absolutely normal and often is just old blood that would be the result of further implantation. Red spotting along with severe cramping is more of a worry as that shows fresh bleeding. It's of course absolutely terrifying, but glad to hear it's easing off and hopefully your scan on Wednesday will show everything is as it should be.

Good luck with your scan today, Dreamstar.

Nearly saw my breakfast again this morning. First morning that I thought I was actually going to be sick. Seem to be ok now, have a load of Rich Teas hidden in my desk for nibbling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Hope your scan went well today dreamstar and that you got lots of reassurance from it.

How is everyone else doing. I am eleven weeks now, time is going so fast yet so slow.. Just willing the 12 week mark to arrive although I don't think I will relax totally!

Not many symptoms really, sometimes I get a pain as if I have pulled my womb in the wrong direction or something, very scary! Other than that I am getting heartburn which I have never had in my life( wasn't even sure what it was at first cause it's at the top of my throat rather than my heart as I would have expected!) and getting up at least twice every night to pee which really interrupts my sleep!

I was so so lucky to avoid morning sickness!

I just realised today that the vague nausea I got from time to time has gone now, hope that's not a bad sign.
    No sign of heartburn yet, I think I only got that at a later stage last time. I'm almost 11 weeks. Can't wait for my scan on Monday, I'm so nervous that something has gone wrong. 12 weeks can't come soon enough, I'm huge, so I'm afraid people are going to start asking me before I'm able to talk about it (last time, someone asked me when I was due...At 10.5 weeks!!!!)

I think symptoms like nausea are supposed to clear up around now so I am sure it is a good thing that it's gone. Have you really already got a bump padme? I think I am just fatter, definitely not a bump yet but my clothes are tighter and it gets worse as the day goes on. I always can't wait to get home and into pj's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

I'm 11 weeks too and have my dating scan tomorrow and very excited about it. I had very little nausea this time...I was plagued with nausea, retching and vomiting last two pregnancies so it's been great to get a little reprieve this time. Though the tiredness and exhaustion is chronic! Hoping to get a burst of energy after 12 week mark.

My doc put me on blood pressure tablets last week. I had preeclampsia with last pregnancy and was in intensive care for 36 hours after delivery so I'm quite nervous that it's going to happen again especially because my bp is already shooting up. But I do feel like I'm being well monitored so I know we're in good hands.

• Advertisement

Lots of scans coming up for people.i am public in holles Street and have been told there is no scan until 20 weeks. I have a small hope though that because i am in a high risk clinic there might be a scan, fingers crossed.

Anyone have any experience of that?

Tango, hopefully the pre-eclampsia doesn't happen again, my friend went through something similar to you, it really is frightening. At least precautions are being taken already.

Advertisement