Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Yep wee man Is the same as the rest of the babies, animal noises, things like ball, mama, dada, milk, bottle, birdie and the name of our dog. Understands lots too and gets excited when we tell him we are going to see certain relatives or if we tell him he is going swimming.

Still no walking alone, just walking around holding furniture, great to hear of all the recent first steps on this board!! So exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

I had a right giggle at Toyota!

We've very little words here...baba,mama, Dada, hat, dodo, puss puss, that's about it! Her sister was much more advanced at her age but couldn't walk! No two are the same. Baba understands everything in Irish and English though so I'm sure the words will follow.

Today she was dirtying her nappy and when she was done went and got a nappy from changing bag on floor and handed it to me, I couldn't believe it! Their wee minds just blow you away sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

They really are amazing little things. We've lots of babbling too. Mama, Dada, Nana, woof, go go go. She'll point and ooh at the birdies and clicks her tongue to call the dog as soon as we get to my parents house. Reaches up to press the green man and will rummage around her toys and hand stuff to us. I asked her yesterday if she wanted to row the boat and she took my hands and started rowing. Also says no and knows exactly why she's saying it!
    Our eating habits have changed a lot. She was always bottle first thing, breakfast, lunch and tea with a bedtime bottle and a snack or 2 during the day but now she's turning away her lunch. I think it's cos she grazes a lot during the day in my parents. She has porridge with my mam before going for a walk and then has more food with my dad when she gets back. She's getting plenty of food into her but just seems to be constantly eating in small portions.

How are we all in this fine weather? I can't keep my dolly indoors! Loves pottering around the garden with her grandad and cousin. She's like a battered child with bruises all over her legs from crawling outdoors. Has still only walked a few steps, it's like she's decided crawling is faster for now so she's not pushed on walking.

Wee man still just a crawler here too but will walk if you hold his hands or if he has furniture or a walker to cling on to. He loves being outside too but will only move if he is wearing trousers, he hates the feeling of grass on his bare legs when wearing shorts it seems!!

He is definitely going through this last leap I think and has major major tantrums and screams his head off and really gets worked up over tiny things like if he wants something, gets bored, wants us to move, when he is in the car too long, when we say no..... Its a big list.

On the other hand he talks loads and points out things saying what they are constantly. Sometimes he spots things before we do like he would shout bee bee bee at a bee that had landed on a flower meters away or ball at boys plying football at the far end of the park and you would never have noticed them yourself, it's very interesting to see what he is paying attention to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Aaaah great to hear they are all doing so well.
    Green we had major issues with this leap which I have heard is called the leap of doom and I see why. Like yours our little man is much fussier. Will scream when he doesn't get his way, if we take something from him, close a door basically anything. And the moaning is very hard to listen to all day. But he seems to have gotten better the last few days. We also had about o month of disrupted sleep - for no reason. He was waking most nights and it was so so tough. I'm 8 months pregnant now and was finding it so hard. But as soon as the leap ended he started sleeping again. It's mad!

He's flying it with the walking now and loves being outside. Great to see the little personalities coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

All good with us too. She had a wee dose of tonsilitis around a month ago but seemed to get over it quickly enough with anti-biotics. One thing I learned from that which my pharmacist told me was, if your baby is on anti-biotics, put her on a probiotic straight away. She had awful thrush nappy rash after the anti-biotics as her gut bacteria was out of balance.

Our baba is flying with walking. She never ever stops moving. Ever. I find that I don't really use the buggy much anymore as she's so happy to walk everywhere. Unless we're out for the day, the buggy stays at home and we just head out walking. The freedom is great!

Last time I posted I said one of the few words she had was Toyota. We can now add Kia and Audi to that list. :D She also has to touch the badges of cars we pass - walking through car parks can take a long time. It's so funny. Neither of us have particularly instilled an interest in cars for her but her dad's first words were all car names and brands apparently. He's always loved cars, works in the industry. She's obviously inherited that somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

That’s brilliant to hear of a wee girl so interested in cars! We are obsessed with cars, tractors, buses, luas etc over here but maybe more to be expected with a boy!

Re: walking, how far can she walk? Could you take her on say a ten min walk to the park or supermarket?

I ask because I’m trying to predict how much walking Liam will be able for in 4 months when the new baby arrives! Right now he will happily walk at any given opportunity, but I couldn’t bear to walk to the park with him as he takes forever as he’s always stopping and trying to pick up stuff off the ground. I’m planning to buy a double buggy soon.

That’s brilliant to hear of a wee girl so interested in cars! We are obsessed with cars, tractors, buses, luas etc over here but maybe more to be expected with a boy!

Re: walking, how far can she walk? Could you take her on say a ten min walk to the park or supermarket?

I ask because I’m trying to predict how much walking Liam will be able for in 4 months when the new baby arrives! Right now he will happily walk at any given opportunity, but I couldn’t bear to walk to the park with him as he takes forever as he’s always stopping and trying to pick up stuff off the ground. I’m planning to buy a double buggy soon.

Defo interested to hear which buggy you are going to go go for caitriona, I am struggling with choosing one and thinking I should go for one that can be used as a single again later on when wee man really doesn't need it but baba two still does!

greenttc wrote: »
    Defo interested to hear which buggy you are going to go go for caitriona, I am struggling with choosing one and thinking I should go for one that can be used as a single again later on when wee man really doesn't need it but baba two still does!

Ah I hadn’t thought about that. I reckon we will just go back to our single buggy when that happens because I absolutely love it and it’s a brilliant buggy. But we are def gonna go for number three at some point in the next few years, so double buggy will potentially be used for quite some time to go.

What have you been looking at? I had a brief look when I first got pregnant at the likes of the mountain duet and out n about, but haven’t looked at it since... really can’t be bothered to be honest!

Have you considered the single with buggy board option at all? I’m not sure if they’ll be old enough to have the sense/discipline to stay on a buggy board?

• Advertisement

A 10 minute walk to the playground or shops would be absolutely fine for her. We're lucky in that we live close to the town centre and roads are safe enough so I'm happy to leave her walk along. I'd love it if she'd hold my hand but she's far too independent for that. She's actually started walking with both hands behind her back so that neither of us can take her hand. It'd be a 5-10 minute walk to the shops, she'll sit in the trolley and have a bit of a rest and seems happy to walk back again. If she's not, she'll just sit down on the ground or else look to be picked up, which is fine as I wouldn't be carrying her for too long.

Ah I hadn’t thought about that. I reckon we will just go back to our single buggy when that happens because I absolutely love it and it’s a brilliant buggy. But we are def gonna go for number three at some point in the next few years, so double buggy will potentially be used for quite some time to go.

What have you been looking at? I had a brief look when I first got pregnant at the likes of the mountain duet and out n about, but haven’t looked at it since... really can’t be bothered to be honest!

Have you considered the single with buggy board option at all? I’m not sure if they’ll be old enough to have the sense/discipline to stay on a buggy board?

Yeah maybe I am thinking about it too much and the baby could go into a stroller once wee man won't go in buggy anymore.

Think buggy board is a bit advanced yet, would be scared he would get tired when I am ages away and would have nowhere to put him.

Must see which double one's can accommodate a car seat for the first 6 months. Couldn't care less about bassinet

I've decided to go for the out n about nipper. It's very light and can be used from birth but you can get attachments for maxi cosi car seat. I'm hoping to borrow the car seat from my sis in law. Don't want to be buying too much.

I got an oyster max tandem when baba was born and it was great until she was about 9 months and then didn't like being in the back. We ended up getting a second hand side-by-side which is a lot easier for walking. My toddler is three and still likes going for a walk in buggy.

Baba is doing great. So so busy and fearless. I don't know what she'll do when weather breaks as she's so used to roaming outside. Her walking is excellent but speech still pretty nonexistent. She's a wicked temper though and there's been quite a few tantrums when she doesn't get her own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi alll lovely to hear how ye are all doing.
    We have a whingy madam on our hands here too. She never seems to stop. Adores being outside and would happily stay out there all day long.
    No words really only daddy, darragh (childminders son) and uh-oh. That’s about it really. Compared to some of ye she is way behind but I’m not worried.

The whinging really gets to me sometimes and I find her hard work at times. But when she’s in good form she’s great and the love her & her brother have for each other is just adorable.
    She hates a buggy and would much rather walk everywhere which makes shopping a disaster but whatever keeps her happy.

Best of luck to all ye pregnant ladies & hope this fab weather isn’t too hard on ye.

Worst fright in our whole 16 months of parenthood last night. Babs fell/climbed out of the cot. Thankfully she was alright and settled after a long cry and 2 panicked parents examining every inch of her. Hubby comforted her as I immediately dropped the cot base to the lowest level. We've never run up the stairs as fast! She's a little daredevil, no fear in her with climbing or running around but this fright might slow her down a tad.

Oh smaoifs. It's everyone's worst nightmare. Thankfully all ok and they are a lot more sturdy than we think.
    Hope you're ok.

You poor thing Smaoifs. I can only imagine the panic. Of course we’ve had plenty of bumps and tumbles here too. Every one of them scares me but baba seems unbothered.

We had a scary weekend in our own way. Our girl was sick on Friday, brought her to the doctor who thought it was tonsillitis again. Saturday she seemed to be getting worse - her neck and leg joints seemed stiff and a rash appeared. Brought her to the doctor again. The symptoms coupled with her absolute hysteria (she hates doctors) led to him sending us to Temple St to “rule out” meningitis. Just the mention of that word had me terrified.

Long story short, it wasn’t meningitis. Hand foot and mouth disease. It’s painful for her and unpleasant but it’s not dangerous thank goodness. She’s over the worst of it now and spent this morning running around the kitchen with saucepans on her head whacking a fly-swatter all over the place. 😂

Ah I'm so glad she's on the mend, ally. Must have been so scary for you all. The imagine of her with the saucepan on her head and the fly swatter is hilarious though!

Glad your wee woman is ok too, smaoifs. They're trying to climb everything at this age!

We are just back from a lovely holiday in Bulgaria with my parents- the wee man had an absolute ball and loved the beach the most of all. And he's now up at beaches on the north coast with his grandparents again, as I've been in work and my husband has been away on business so we needed help with childcare. Spoilt rotten by my parents. He will not be happy to come back to Dublin!!

Oh ally that sounds terrifying. So glad she's OK.

• Advertisement

We have had a rough few nights. I'm not sure if it's cutting back teeth or a virus but he's had a temperature and just isn't sleeping. I only got about two hours sleep myself last night, and it looks set to continue tonight unfortunately. Yes off his food and his naps are poor too. Poor wee man.

Otherwise though I am loving the stage he's at! So full of fun and enthusiasm, and so much chatter. He can tell me what he wants now which is so much more helpful. And he loves to copy things and do funny stuff to make us laugh. Plus giving lots of hugs and kisses, which is the best bit of all!

We've had a rough few days/nights too caitriona. We've been blaming it on heat and probably cutting teeth. Fingers crossed things settle soon. Can't be easy when your pregnant. Hope the form is good with you and other ladies

My little one is the most determined little missy that ever existed! She is so headstrong and loses the head if things don't go her way. She also falls out with us if we don't do as she wants! She spent a whole day during the week ignoring my mother because she wouldn't give her something off her mantlepiece!

She idolises her big sister and if her sister plays with her she lights up and is so happy. More often than not the sister won't entertain her so more tantrums!

Her words still aren't great though but hopefully she'll catch up soon.

Can't believe our babas are heading for 18 months!

Having rough nights here too! When we put him down he cries for a while before he'll babble to himself for like an hour before he sleeps. And he is waking at night. Not sure if it's teeth or heat either but I'm wrecked.
    Finished up on maternity leave today. Can't believe it!

A few bad nights here too! Teeth or heat or both! She'll either take ages to settle even though she's wrecked or she'll wake a few times during the night and one of us will have to go settle her.

She's very determined and headstrong with a temper! Will roar at us if we get in the way of her fun. But such a loving little thing. I'll tell her I love her and she'll blow me a kiss and say mwah or when I'm dressing her she'll stand and cuddle into my chest going aw. I'm just more amazed by her every day.

Do you know what's really weird? 9 times out of 10 our guy wakes for us. We end up bringing him in for a cuddle and once he's sleepy back to his cot. But he's stayed in my parents a couple of times recently and he sleeps right through till 8 o clock!!!! Afraid we're starting bad habits at home. I'd love him to go back to sleeping through.

Apparently there's another sleep regression around 18 months too so there could be some of that setting in? I really hope not though, as he's been doing amazingly since he was 13 months. When he wakes at night, he's up for like 2-3 hours before he will go down again.

He has also got really clingy for me. If his dad tries to put him down, he cries Mammy over and over again. And then when I leave him in his cot, he roars and roars. His dad didn't see him for two weeks as he was away a lot so maybe that's why, as we had none of these problems before. I'm working tomorrow and Sunday so hopefully they'll bond again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

When he wakes at night, he's up for like 2-3 hours before he will go down again.
    !

One of mine is like that as welll. Mine aren’t sleeping too bad but it’s taking ages for them to go to sleep. It’s driving me crazy. Especially when dad isn’t at home to help.

fits wrote: »
    When he wakes at night, he's up for like 2-3 hours before he will go down again.
    !

One of mine is like that as welll. Mine aren’t sleeping too bad but it’s taking ages for them to go to sleep. It’s driving me crazy. Especially when dad isn’t at home to help.

Fits when you say taking them ages what are they doing? My guy cries and it's horrendous. But if I keep going in it just starts the whole thing off again. So I have to just leave him and then he'll stop and chat to himself for up to an hour! And he could still wake during the night. Last night it was 2am and it was 4 before I got back to bed.
    I don't know what to do. Sometimes he'll snap out of it for a few weeks but then it happens again. But he goes down fine for my parents.

What time is bedtime for your little ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hi dreamstar I still feed and cuddle them to sleep. Usually around 7:30-8. All hell would break loose with any other approach. I hope to separate them to own rooms when we move house next month so keeping at this for now. I think it’s the heat.

• Advertisement

Yeah i do think the heat has them all out of sorts. I'm due number 2 any day now so I'm hoping he gets back to himself. He's great for his daytime naps - will just play and go straight asleep but it's just the bedtime is hit and miss. And by the end of the day I'm so exhausted. Seems a bit cooler today. Hopefully that'll help.

Advertisement