Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Dreamstar our wee man sounds just like your baba, cries when we first put him down but then talks away to himself for an hour or so. Like you, I just have to leave him at it cause going in starts the cycle again, feels awful doing it and I am like one of those cry it out evil mothers that are always condemned but literally nothing else will work, he would stay awake talking all night if I stayed with him!

Thankfully he doesn't wake during the night once he is asleep, sometimes there might be the odd bleat from him but I think he is just dreaming. We have a fan in his room which is helping with the heat I think even though it can still be high (was 29 one night!!!)

I have three months to go till baba 2 arrives, it will be just mental, don't know how I'll manage but sure I thought the same with having just one so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

This heat is a killer! I'm glad we're getting a decent summer for once, but I feel like I'm high alert constantly for sunblock and sun hats and trying to keep her room cool. I'll be glad when the temperature drops a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

ally_pally wrote: »
    This heat is a killer! I'm glad we're getting a decent summer for once, but I feel like I'm high alert constantly for sunblock and sun hats and trying to keep her room cool. I'll be glad when the temperature drops a little.

Same. It's cloudy in Dublin today and I've never been so glad to see a grey day. If it rains, I'll be ecstatic! Sunscreen every day for a month, coupled with heat and sweat, has caused Liam to develop pretty bad eczema. Thankfully it's clearing up with steroid cream and lots of moisturiser now. But I try not to put it on him at all where possible, which means constantly trying to walk in the shade, wiggle the buggy parasol, etc.

Fits is this the house you've built yourselves? How exciting! You won't know yourself. And having them in their own rooms and getting your bed back will be amazing. Baby number 3 in 2019?! Haha!

Best of luck with the new arrival, dreamstar. What is your due date? I've been thinking lots about heavily pregnant women in this heat. I'm 25 weeks gone and it's hard enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Oh green I'm glad it's not just me. I'm not a fan of cry it out at all but it's all that works. I know it's not a real cry but I'm worried what the neighbours will think with all the windows open. Silly I know!
    Oh catriona I'm not going to lie - the heat is tough going. I've just been avoiding the sun. Actually got out for a walk today coz it's cloudy and was great but I'm so sick of being sweaty! Been bringing little msn to indoor play centres to get him out. I feel so bad for him but just can't manage walking in the heat.

I'm due the 23rd. Went a week early first time round and baby is down and engaged so all looking good. Just hope I'm not stuck in hospital too long in this heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Have had a hellish 2 weeks here with clingy and testing behaviour. Leap 10 is not my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fits is this the house you've built yourselves? How exciting! You won't know yourself. And having them in their own rooms and getting your bed back will be amazing. Baby number 3 in 2019?! Haha!
    !

Yes the very one. It’s really exciting. We will have so much space compared to now. I’ll miss the nighttime snuggles a bit though. The two of them are sleeping away beside me right now. Bedsharing was something I really had a strong instinct towards. No more babies I think. I’m getting old, can’t really afford another and would probably struggle to conceive anyway.

Sorry to hear about Liam’s excema. The weather is surely challenging.

Husband is taking the two off for the day today and I’m going to a music festival. Yay!

Good God, Leap 10 is tough. He won't let me out of his sight. The worst bit is putting him to bed though- we usually do our wee routine and he goes down in his cot awake but happy as Larry and then goes to sleep alone.

Bedtime is now taking over an hour. We do routine as normal, put him down and he screams and screams. We do a bit of cry it out, although he's so hysterical and roaring for his mammy he will never settle. So 10 mins later it's back into the room again, sing him a few more songs, put him down again, and screaming resumes. It's awful. And the neighbours must think we are torturing him. And torturing them.

Like what should you do? I know that during the day during a leap, you just indulge them with cuddles and hugs and as much attention as they crave. But what about at night? He wants me there to play with him all night, but he needs to sleep! Cosleeping doesn't work as he's just so active that he is climbing out of the bed anyway... plus I don't want to get him in that habit now when we've gone 17 months without it.

Help?!

Oh god I don't know what to say catriona were exactly the same here. And like you I'm afraid people will think we're torturing him. Plus my wonder weeks app says his leap 10 doesn't start for 3 days! Dreading what I'm in for.
    I did keep him up till 8:30 today. He's usually in bed by 7:30 and he was happier going down but he's still talking to himself up there 40 mins later.
    I'm just telling myself it won't last forever.

Girls, what are your wee one's favourite toys at the moment? Preferably toys that don't take up much space and keep them busy for a while. I'm asking because I'm trying to plan how I'll keep Liam entertained during long newborn cluster feeding sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

Girls, what are your wee one's favourite toys at the moment? Preferably toys that don't take up much space and keep them busy for a while. I'm asking because I'm trying to plan how I'll keep Liam entertained during long newborn cluster feeding sessions!

My little one doesn't stay still for long enough to be kept busy! She does love ok when I give her a damp cloth...she'll get great mileage out of cleaning everything! She likes her dolly but that's from watching her big sister play with hers. A book keeps her quiet a while too but she naturally wants me to read to her.

I'm ashamed to say that when I brought my baby home from hospital, I used the tv a fair bit to keep her big sister occupied.. She was 22 months and still had big sleep in afternoon and we went out somewhere most days so it sounds worse than it was!

• Advertisement

Oh I'm not averse to a few weeks of tv... it's only for a short while after all. But my wee man isn't even all that interested in tv - it will keep his attention for around 5 minutes but then he's bored of it.

Wondering how I'm going to find the time for feeds and pumping. We don't have a garden and I really wish we did, because he loves being outdoors and could stay out all day.

Oh I'm not averse to a few weeks of tv... it's only for a short while after all. But my wee man isn't even all that interested in tv - it will keep his attention for around 5 minutes but then he's bored of it.

Wondering how I'm going to find the time for feeds and pumping. We don't have a garden and I really wish we did, because he loves being outdoors and could stay out all day.

My wee man loves anything that makes noise or plays music so we have a keyboard for him(like a small piano) and he has a red bus from v tech I think which has loads of buttons on it and he loves pressing them. He recently got his kitchen and gets good mileage out of that. He also loves balls so dribbles a big runner football around the place for ages and lastly book, lots and lots of books that he will look at for a good long time. He also loves these kinda cards we have, like flash cards and they have pictures on them of animals and things like cars and trees etc. So he lives for me to hold them up and ask what they are and he tells me and does the animal noise. That could defo be done with one hand if you are feeding. I am not sure how I will keep my new one entertained either cause I reckon he will get bored of all these things over the next two months.

Oh we also have tent things, I think they might be in aldi or lidl at the mo. So two tents and a tunnel that he likes Sitting in and crawling through and they can easily be folded up and put behind a chair or something when not in use. Wish I had saved some of this stuff for October!

Those flash cards sound good! My man is also obsessed with books - he has a nursery rhyme book with about 100 rhymes in it and could spend hours per day reading it. He doesn't like new books though- wants the same ones over and over again! Do you know where you got the flash cards from?

I've just ordered a pile of stuff off Amazon- an aquadoodle, no-mess colouring, threading beads, hot wheels cars, a hide and seek magnetic animals board, duplo blocks, a wee car ramp thing, and a couple of other bits. Going to store them away and only get them out one at a time when feeding... and put them away again at the end of the feed so that he doesn't get bored of them.

Someone else suggested getting a bag and filling it with little treats like raisins, rice cakes etc for bribery. May also have to download some stuff on the iPad.

We didn't get them to be those parents that train their children to be a child genius or anything by the way he just loved them in my friends house so I got them for him to have at home!!! But as I said it is really handy to be able to pick them up one by one and talk about them. The only downside is she. He gets his hands on the pack and spreads them all over the floor, bending and picking them up is not easy at the mo!!!

That sounds like a great list of things you have bought and definitely drop feeding them to him one by one is the best Idea I reckon, will be interested to hear how the mess free drawing works out, wondering if my wee man is a bit young to understand it yet although I do underestimate him sometimes!!!!

My guy loves bricks and blocks. We've bought him a few duplo sets for when the baby comes. I'll keep certain toys just for feeding time so he hopefully won't get bored too quick. Thankfully he's still on 2 naps a day which is my lifesaver these days. I'm due on Monday and so exhausted. And yes green the hardest thing is on my own all day picking up toys. Otherwise I'm tripping over them. The joys eh?

dreamstar wrote: »
    My guy loves bricks and blocks. We've bought him a few duplo sets for when the baby comes. I'll keep certain toys just for feeding time so he hopefully won't get bored too quick. Thankfully he's still on 2 naps a day which is my lifesaver these days. I'm due on Monday and so exhausted. And yes green the hardest thing is on my own all day picking up toys. Otherwise I'm tripping over them. The joys eh?

I would just get a big brush and sweep them all into a corner! No pregnant woman needs that cráp!

I'd say you're dying to get baby out by now. How are you feeling?

I'm feeling surprisingly ok. Glad the weather has cooled a bit. Just dying for things to get started now really.

All very quiet in here lately! Dreamstar, you must have had your baba by now - what did you have and how are you getting on, and how is big brother doing??

Still dealing with separation anxiety over here. Thankfully he's sleeping through again, but needs me or dad in his room with him until he falls asleep. Which can take agessssss. Tonight I'm lying here an hour and a half and counting!

Any tips? Really wanna get this sorted before his wee brother arrives in 9.5 weeks (Or 11.5 weeks as the case may well be!).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Ours has never slept through, are we alone in this?!!

• Advertisement

All very quiet in here lately! Dreamstar, you must have had your baba by now - what did you have and how are you getting on, and how is big brother doing??

Still dealing with separation anxiety over here. Thankfully he's sleeping through again, but needs me or dad in his room with him until he falls asleep. Which can take agessssss. Tonight I'm lying here an hour and a half and counting!

Any tips? Really wanna get this sorted before his wee brother arrives in 9.5 weeks (Or 11.5 weeks as the case may well be!).

Caitriona, it's all about sleep associations. Right now he associates you or dad with going to sleep and that needs to be broken, you need to create new sleep associations and a routine if you don't have one. Thats all I have for you!

Ggg16, really sorry to be one of those annoying parents who come across as smug(I am not smug though!) but our wee man has slept through from 10 weeks.

For both of you, like I have said so many times you would think I was sponsored, Lucy Wolfe book about sleeping is invaluable.

Wee man is doing great, he is so so cute these days, a proper little toddler, talking away and running around, has his own little personality. Loves dogs, balls, playing in his kitchen. Loves anything tomato based and would do anything to have a chip off your plate if we have them with a meal when out. He is in denial about the baby coming and doesn't really want to hear or read about it but I think he will be fine when baba arrives in about 8 weeks!

Yeah we've had a routine going this last ages and it was working so well. But then he hit leap 10, and then caught a chest infection, and the sleep struggles started. Not sure how to break the cycle of sitting with him. Tonight I just had to get out of the room though as I was having awful hot flushes and it was so warm in there, so after about 45 mins I left but left the door open, told him I'm just next door and sang to him from our bedroom for 5 mins. Then sat there quietly. Every 5 mins he called for mammy just to check I was still there, and I called back saying I'm right here and to go to sleep. It worked eventually.

He is clingy by day too. Only wants me. If someone he doesn't know well talks to him, he sticks the bottom lip out and looks for me. And if I leave the room and he can't follow, he has a meltdown, even if his dad is still in the room with him.

The exception to this is with my parents. He adores them. When they are around, he has no interest in me at all. And if they leave the room, and he's left in the room with me, he cries his eyes out! I'm actually kind of insulted by it, to be honest!

Wow, green and caitriona time is really getting short for you both now! You won't find it until baba number 2 arrives. How are you both doing?

Re the sleeping through, mine has done so from about 10 months. Her sister was roughly same. But my oldest was a disaster and didn't sleep until he was over 2. He's a teenager now and trying to get him out of the bed is the problem! Seriously though, I don't know what I did right or wrong and think it might be luck of the draw as all babies are so different.

My little one is flying. She has settled down so much in last month or so. Her words are coming thick and fast, she's running and climbing and sooooo independent. We can't feed her, she has to do it all herself! She also only wants to drink from a cup like her sister and has mastered that brilliantly. She's even showing interest in the potty, though I'm not sure I'm psychologically or emotionally ready to even think of starting training her! She loves her sister's kitchen and plays loads with that and with her dolly. I just love watching her play.

We are struggling with the sleep here too. Little guy screams and screams when we pit him up. He was still having 2 naps a day so going to move that to one and see if it helps. But he's getting some big back teeth which is waking him too.

I had my little girl last week! She is so perfect and we're slowly getting used to things. Had a hard birth - she was 10lb 7oz!!! So I've a lot of stitches and still in a lot of pain. So hard coz I can't lift my son when he's crying. He's started climbing up on everything too so it's a tough time running after him. He doesn't seem bothered by his little sister yet. Just peeks in the Moses basket at her every so often.

dreamstar wrote: »
    We are struggling with the sleep here too. Little guy screams and screams when we pit him up. He was still having 2 naps a day so going to move that to one and see if it helps. But he's getting some big back teeth which is waking him too.

I had my little girl last week! She is so perfect and we're slowly getting used to things. Had a hard birth - she was 10lb 7oz!!! So I've a lot of stitches and still in a lot of pain. So hard coz I can't lift my son when he's crying. He's started climbing up on everything too so it's a tough time running after him. He doesn't seem bothered by his little sister yet. Just peeks in the Moses basket at her every so often.

Ah congratulations on your (not-so-little!) baby girl!!! Delighted for you and hope you've a quick recovery. Can I ask, are you breastfeeding and if so, how are you keeping big bro entertained during feeds?

Congratulations dreamstar. Lovely news. Hope you recover soon and that you're accepting all the help offered to you.

Thanks so much Guys! We're so in love!
    Catriona yes I am breastfeeding. Which is intense at the minute. She feeds a lot. It's been fine coz hubby is off for 3 weeks so he's here minding our toddler while I have baby. I'm not going to lie I'm super scared about how I'll manage when he's back at work. But hopefully we'll have some routine by then.
    People have brought so many toys for him so I've kept them up for when I really need to distract him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Congratulations dreamstar! Hope you heal quickly. Big baby!

We are struggling with getting to sleep too. It’s killing the evenings. I haven’t tried to change anything. I think they are just a bit wired and find it hard to settle down. I still feed to sleep which works in minutes when they are ready. Nights still very mixed. We should be moving at the end of the month after which I hope to gradually withdraw.

Twin 2 is nearly walking and has started using a few words too so all good there. Both are probably a little behind in language but that’s quite common in twins.

fits wrote: »
    Congratulations dreamstar! Hope you heal quickly. Big baby!

We are struggling with getting to sleep too. It’s killing the evenings. I haven’t tried to change anything. I think they are just a bit wired and find it hard to settle down. I still feed to sleep which works in minutes when they are ready. Nights still very mixed. We should be moving at the end of the month after which I hope to gradually withdraw.

Twin 2 is nearly walking and has started using a few words too so all good there. Both are probably a little behind in language but that’s quite common in twins.

My guy doesn't have many words at all. I was worried and said it to PHN but she said at this stage as long as they understand things not to worry. His words are mama, dada, bye and ****. He doesn't say much but **** is clear as a bell. Morto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Congratulations dreamstar. Lovely news.

Advertisement