Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

dreamstar wrote: »
    My guy doesn't have many words at all. I was worried and said it to PHN but she said at this stage as long as they understand things not to worry. His words are mama, dada, bye and ****. He doesn't say much but **** is clear as a bell. Morto.

Ha ha, I am trying to work out which four letter word it is, our wee man says the f word but he means fox when he is saying it and the s word but that means sit so perfectly valid to him but hilarious to us, especially when he repeats fix over and over again, good thing he doesn't see many fixes in real life otherwise he would be shouting it out in public alot!

So nervous now that baby two won't be the great sleeper that number one was/is I know I have been super lucky with him! Just hope my techniques work with the same outcome!

Dreamstar big congratulations! Must he so nice having a wee tiny baby to cuddle again, I can't wait to really appreciate the tinyness this time round! I too am petrified of being on my own with two babies and I will have some evenings home alone too l, trying to put two to bed on my own will be so tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ah green I will be doing a lot of bedtimes myself too. Husband only taking two weeks paternity leave, no holidays, and he often works late in the evenings and isn't around. This will coincide perfectly with prime newborn cluster feeding hours... My plan for now is to get really good at babywesring and feeding in the sling really quickly.... and pray we don't get a colicky baby! If so, I'm just gonna have to move in with my parents until baby is 3 months old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Haha my word got started. It's the sit one. He'll stumble and you'll just hear oh s**t. It's gas but don't want him saying it in public.
    The new born teenyness is great and I'm just trying to take it all in coz we won't be back here again. Plus she's super easy compared to a toddler legging it around the place! He's the tough one.

How is it knowing that you won't be back there again? I am hoping to have a third (must be mad), but my husband would like to stop at two. I think I would find it all very emotional? Kind of bittersweet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's equally emotional when it's the third Caitriona :-)

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    It's equally emotional when it's the third Caitriona :-)

Oh god, I'm sure. I'm kind of hoping I'll have this strong feeling of being finished and content and not wanting to go there again. Like I've had my fill of newborn snuggles and tiny fingers wrapped around my own, and am content not to have it again.

Or does that never happen?!

Oh I just know. My body needs a break. Ive been through cancer, surgery, chemo and 2 pregnancies in the space of three years. I need to look after my body for a bit. And i know once im out of the baby phase i wont want to go back. Its really hard. :-) I really did enjoy every second of pregnancy and am trying to do the same now and take it all in.
    I guess thinking of practical things too - room in the house and can we afford more. I just know my family is complete now. So I guess when you know you'll know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Dreamstar, you've had it tough.I always admire people like you, it's such a leap to go through pregnancy healthy, never mind after everything else.Glad it has all worked out and you've got your babies.I can't say I feel I am definitely finished, of course I'd like another tiny (just not with all tthe work!).Buti think I am calling it a day here...same reasons as you dreamstar, money, full house and just wanting my body and my life back, and some degree of independence to come back.Also I just don't think I can split myself in four(!) and I don't want to go through the stress of another pregnancy, I tend to worry a lot. I think I've made my peace with this little guy being the last, three was kind of my number.But yeah, I'm very nostalgic thinking I'lll never do another pregnancy test, feel kicks again or have a newborn asleep on me.Rose tinted glasses :-)

Shesty I think every mammy has those feelings. But yes rose tinted glasses. Only so many sleepless nights I can cope with. That's why I enjoyed every single kick and milked it up. Coz I won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I feel the same with my two. My pregnancy was miraculous to begin with and it doesn’t make financial sense for us to have more either. But I am sad I only get to do it the once. I loved being pregnant too even though it was super tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Fantastic news, congratulations Dreamstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

How is it knowing that you won't be back there again? I am hoping to have a third (must be mad), but my husband would like to stop at two. I think I would find it all very emotional? Kind of bittersweet.

When I was pregnant with my second (after an 11 year gap from my first) I wanted at least 3-4 more! When I was pregnant with my 3rd, I knew that I couldn't do the pregnant thing any more, I hated being pregnant and didn't enjoy any of the three pregnancies. Now that baba is 18 months, I'm certain I'm done. Sometimes I feel sad but on the whole I'm happy with our decision.

Is anyone else finding their little ones have gotten difficult recently? This past week, my baba has got very defiant, throwing tantrums and will not do what we want her to do. She refuses the highchair point blank so meals are now disastrous. She doesn't want to go in car or buggy and if we manage to get her in, there's a guaranteed meltdown when we get to our destination. She literally cannot sit still for longer than 30 seconds and has to be climbing or pulling at something she shouldnt be pulling at! She's been up from 5 am on two mornings which isn't like her and the tiredness certainly doesn't agree with her. She doesnt want her daddy anywhere near her...or anyone else for that matter except me.We're exhausted and hoping that it's just a phase that will pass soon and not a permant personality trait that's just appearing!

Is anyone else finding their little ones have gotten difficult recently? This past week, my baba has got very defiant, throwing tantrums and will not do what we want her to do. She refuses the highchair point blank so meals are now disastrous. She doesn't want to go in car or buggy and if we manage to get her in, there's a guaranteed meltdown when we get to our destination. She literally cannot sit still for longer than 30 seconds and has to be climbing or pulling at something she shouldnt be pulling at! She's been up from 5 am on two mornings which isn't like her and the tiredness certainly doesn't agree with her. She doesnt want her daddy anywhere near her...or anyone else for that matter except me.We're exhausted and hoping that it's just a phase that will pass soon and not a permant personality trait that's just appearing!
    I could've written this, although thankfully his sleep is ok. I figured it was just the start of the terrible twos/toddler tantrums?

We kinda went through a similar time, loads of tantrums, arching his back to get out of car seat, running away anywhere he shouldn't have, screaming his head off when he didn't get his way, it went on for a few weeks but these past two or three weeks he has been so good and ridiculously cute. Maybe they are all goo g through a little phase?

Oh and my perfect sleeper also went through a bit of turbulence there too, was very unhappy going to bed for about two weeks and woke up screaming In the middle of the night but they were more like nightmares I think, he settled again very quickly once I went in to him.

It's the start of toddlerhood I'm afraid....starts hitting in around 18 months.Terrible twos really start at 18 months!!

shesty wrote:
    It's the start of toddlerhood I'm afraid....starts hitting in around 18 months.Terrible twos really start at 18 months!!

I was afraid of that! Looks like she's gonna be a handful so! My other two were angels during the terrible twos...or maybe I've blocked it out!

Same here - so glad it's not just us. When we give out to him he actually gets so frustrated he'll scream and hit his head off the floor! I'm hoping it's just a phase. He also went from being a great sleeper to screaming at night when we put him down. Could take an hour to settle him. But thank God that has settled now and he's back to his normal routine.
    Had our first fever two weeks ago. Couldn't get his temp down and this week he has a cold and upset tummy. All that with the new baby here - there's been a lot of change for him. It's been a rough few weeks for us all here. Thank God things are starting to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all hope everyone is keeping well. Sounds like some of us are in the 18 month sleep regression. Fun times.
    The boss is flying it and has so many words compared to what her brother had at this stage. The latest is ‘no’ which she says to any question she’s asked!! She’s great fun at the minute and is in great form thank god.

Hope all of ye are doing well & congrats to all with new babies. Fair play to ye. Im wrecked with 1 toddler!!!

Aren't they so cute at this age deh? Mine is talking away too, so many words, I am in total awe at what he can say and understand. It's so clear how they are just so pure at this age too, not a bit of badness in them, he will do anything for me when he understands like picking things up and trying to help. I had a bit of a cry the other week (pregnancy hormones!!!) and he was so concerned, climbed up on my knee with a worried little face, touching my tears with his fingers and saying cry cry and trying to hug me. It just made me cry more! He is so cute though!

His bad sleep for about two weeks cleared up and he is back to normal, I think he has four teeth all coming through at the same time though, can't be comfortable for him.

He also started creche this week, just four hours every morning, he is just easing in at the moment so started with an hour and increasing from there, mixed reactions from him but we will get there, he needs to learn to be with other children which is my main reason for sending him really, although now I am so glad as well that it will give me four hours every morning to concentrate on this new baby, they will be arriving in about four weeks! Life is about to change again!!!! Agh!!!

• Advertisement

18 month sleep regression here too but I think (hope!) we're out the other side of it. Some nights she'd bawl as soon as she realised she was being put to bed and there was a lot of "no mama ahah mama". The nights she didn't kick off she'd wake up at some stage and only be settled with a bottle.
    The chat and understanding from her is just amazing. We ask her the animal noises and she gives them all back. My favourite is her drawn out hee-haaaaaw for donkey. She's so funny when we tell her to put something in the bin or the sink. She'll look at what's in her hand like she's thinking about it and then trot over to the bin or reach up to the sink.

Hope all the wee ones have started sleeping better for their mammies and daddies! We were doing well for a few weeks but in the last week he is waking earlier and earlier, despite going down at usual time (7-7.20). This morning he was up at 5.15. Was considering getting the gro clock out but I think he's still too young to really understand it. Any ideas?

I must say, I absolutely love the toddler thing of referring to themselves in the third person. Everything these days is, "Liam stuck!", "Liam fall down!", "Liam bumped head!". Its so cute and funny.

Currently battling biting/hitting/nipping. He seems to do it when he wants your attention or is bored. Been doing one-minute Time Outs in the kitchen which is helping a bit, but I don't think he fully understands it either. Although he does stand looking at me through the glass door during Time Out, crying and shouting, "Don't bite! Don't bite!", which can be quite amusing!

Hope all the wee ones have started sleeping better for their mammies and daddies! We were doing well for a few weeks but in the last week he is waking earlier and earlier, despite going down at usual time (7-7.20). This morning he was up at 5.15. Was considering getting the gro clock out but I think he's still too young to really understand it. Any ideas?

I must say, I absolutely love the toddler thing of referring to themselves in the third person. Everything these days is, "Liam stuck!", "Liam fall down!", "Liam bumped head!". Its so cute and funny.

Currently battling biting/hitting/nipping. He seems to do it when he wants your attention or is bored. Been doing one-minute Time Outs in the kitchen which is helping a bit, but I don't think he fully understands it either. Although he does stand looking at me through the glass door during Time Out, crying and shouting, "Don't bite! Don't bite!", which can be quite amusing!

Would he just cry if you left him in bed when he wakes up too early? We just don't go near our wee man till we are ready and he just talks away to himself and his Teddy but we never leave it later than 7am so he isn't waiting too long.

We went through a biting phase but he only did it out of frustration and he only bit things like couches and chairs and the like, only tried biting me a few times but I just said no to him and ah ah and he stopped. It only lasted a few weeks, he seems to have stopped now thankfully!

We haven't tried time outs with him, I don't think he would understand and would make him more upset with stuff. I do keep trying to remind myself that what we perceive as bad behaviour is just his way of exploring or expressing himself and he doesn't really understand why things are bad, makes it easier for me to deal with mentally, sometimes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Catriona, Liam sounds so advanced with his speech. Our girl is just starting to put words together into little sentences but mostly it’s just single words and lots of babble. She’s mad for climbing and she latched onto me saying “up we go” when I was carrying her upstairs once. So now that’s her little mantra she repeats when she's scaling the walls or whatever her latest terrifying feat is.

She’s started with mini tantrums in the last couple of weeks. She’ll fling herself on the ground and be inconsolable over the tiniest thing. They only last around a minute or so but they’re a sign of things to come I’m sure. She’s given us a slap here and there. No biting yet thankfully. We give her a firm No when she slaps. Not sure if she pays much attention as it’s usually mid-tantrum but we have to start putting limits on behaviour somewhere. We don’t do time outs yet either but I think they’re a good system so will be doing them in time. I don’t think she’d understand what they’re about yet.

Thankfully we’re doing well with sleep. Makes everything else easier to handle.

So lovely to hear about all the little ones doing so well! They really are at such a brilliant age right now.

Greenttc, we do sometimes leave him for a while if he's just babbling etc. But we are very conscious of our neighbours. Moving to a detached house in the next couple of months if sale goes as planned, so that should take some of the pressure off. I find worrying about the neighbours very stressful! Liam has a very loud voice so even if he isn't crying, he's demanding "mammy, up! Downstairs! Daddy, out!" Etc so it's just as disruptive as a cry would be.

We haven't started nipping or biting yet but she has pushed her big sister a good bit. Big sister is a gentle soft pushover and little miss runs rings around her. I haven't done time out either yet but i do kneel down to her level and tell her that she can't push her big sister and she usually gives a cuddle to say sorry.

Her speech sounds like it's way behind you guys though. She refers to herself as baba and can really only string 2 maybe 3 words together on a good day. She understands everything though.

We went cold turkey with dodo a month ago (except night time and nap) and it worked fantastically!

How long do you pregnant ladies have before you join the wonderful world of two under two?

Tango my guy the same with words. Loads of words but no sentences. But understands everything. We're also having biting episodes. Mostly biting hubby and I just keep hoping it's a phase. He just has a tantrum then every time we correct him. Tough times.
    But seeing his personality come out is amazing.

We're already in the mad world of two under two. Little lady is 7 weeks.

We've a biter here too, usually her cousin she goes for so we make a fuss of her cousin and she toddles over to say sorry and hug her. I had read somewhere that making a fuss of the "victim" has more of an impact than getting cross with the perpetrator so we fuss over cousin first and give out to her second. Considering doing timeouts too, even just to get her to stand in the corner.
    Head cold season has kicked off, coughing and snot everywhere and passed it on to me and her dad so we're all suffering!

Oh god, snot fest in our house too and also has passed it on to me which is not great when pregnant and can't have lemsips!!!

Less than two weeks till due date for baby number two, then the fun begins!!

Our wee man is getting on fairly well in creche now, its only for the mornings but I am so glad he is getting time with other children, feel like a full day would be too long for him for now, so lucky that I get to spend the afternoons with him, wouldn't be an option if I wasn't on leave and in work full time!

Sounds like all the February babies are pretty much on par with all the milestones, isn't it mad to think how they are all so different yet so similar at the same time!

• Advertisement

Oh best of luck greenttc.
    We're a house full of snot here too. Poor baby has her first cold and cough at 7 weeks. No escaping it with a germy toddler I guess.

Advertisement