Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Thanks for all the tips shesty. Little one is 3 months now so I do need to start sorting naps out. I'm also becoming too dependent on the boob to settle her to sleep. I guess I'll just have to leave the toddler in the playpen for a bit and settle her upstairs.
    And your right. OH will just have to deal with them in the evenings so I can shower. I need it even for the headspace. I literally don't get a minute to myself. Although I have managed to settle her now while toddler is napping. It's been 15 mins and she's still asleep. This never happens. Although it is in the car seat. Not ideal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ally_pally, baking powder works wonders on really bad nappy rash.In a bath of water, pour in a good bit, and let her sit in it.A few baths of that sorts it out.Also can shake a bit into the nappy.No.2 had a practically fungal one around 9 months, was absolutely awful and after about three weeks, a few days of that sorted her out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

dreamstar wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips shesty. Little one is 3 months now so I do need to start sorting naps out. I'm also becoming too dependent on the boob to settle her to sleep. I guess I'll just have to leave the toddler in the playpen for a bit and settle her upstairs.
    And your right. OH will just have to deal with them in the evenings so I can shower. I need it even for the headspace. I literally don't get a minute to myself. Although I have managed to settle her now while toddler is napping. It's been 15 mins and she's still asleep. This never happens. Although it is in the car seat. Not ideal
    It's 15 mins to yourself, take it!!
    Have your lunch!
    One thing I learned fast when no.2 came (amd catnapped her way through the day!) was that any five mins you have to yourself you use to eat or go to the loo!!!All other stuff-cleaning, washing, housework-came second to that.I admit, when no.1 was born, I was more inclined to do the housework first, but I soon learned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

ally_pally wrote: »
    Looks like we all had a terrible day yesterday. My girl has a dose of diarrhoea - at the weekend I thought it was teething that was causing it but it's definitely a bug. The pharmacist said there's a diarrhoea bug rampant in the area so she must have it. She also has AWFUL nappy rash as a result now. She's always been a little prone to it with sensitive skin but this is the worst I've ever seen it. I took yesterday off work and stayed with her. Kept her without a nappy for as long as I could yesterday which has hopefully made a difference but it's horrible seeing her in pain with it.

Ah the poor wee pet. I caught that bug myself recently (at 3 days post partum.... as if my poor downstairs hadn't been through enough!). It lasted about 48 hours. I hope she comes out of it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

So so good to hear you are all having a terrible time!!! But only cause it makes me feel better and more normal! This parenting business is tough going. I had the two in my own today for the first time but only because number one wasn't allowed in creche due to a virus he picked up there, ugh!

Both number 1 and two seem to want to be fed at the same time which is hard, baby wakes when it is breakfast time for numberr 1 and he wanted another feed at lunch time, very hard to juggle! Especially with a screaming toddler!

Like the tips on getting nap times sorted shesty, baby is only 4 weeks but defo want to be thi king ahead to getting a routine on place, it happened so naturally with number 1 I can't say I have experience of actually creating a routine really!

Dreamstar, I cannot operate with out a shower in the morning and I absolutely must wash my hair every day as part of that shower too otherwise I don't feel clean. I get up very early to get it all done, this morning I was in the shower at quarter to six, no amount of a lie in or extra time on bed canakee skip that shower, priorities have to be weighed up and shower wins every time. My husband leaves for work before seven so I have to be up early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

shesty wrote: »
    Ally_pally, baking powder works wonders on really bad nappy rash.In a bath of water, pour in a good bit, and let her sit in it.A few baths of that sorts it out.Also can shake a bit into the nappy.No.2 had a practically fungal one around 9 months, was absolutely awful and after about three weeks, a few days of that sorted her out.

Thanks Shesty. She seems much much better this morning. Still a bit red, but the angry looking redness has disappeared and there seems to be no pain with it anymore. The diarrhoea seems to be clearing up too so that should give her skin a chance to heal. I'll keep baking powder on hand though just in case!
    Ah the poor wee pet. I caught that bug myself recently (at 3 days post partum.... as if my poor downstairs hadn't been through enough!). It lasted about 48 hours. I hope she comes out of it soon.

Oh Catriona, you poor poor thing dealing with that 3 days after giving birth. I can't imagine anything worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh my. This weather! Can’t get out at all for a walk. Plus twins have had tummy bug this week. Lots of midnight sheet changes. Tough going this week.

fits wrote: »
    Oh my. This weather! Can’t get out at all for a walk. Plus twins have had tummy bug this week. Lots of midnight sheet changes. Tough going this week.

The weather is horrific?! They have even closed all the public parks around me cause its deemed too dangerous (overkill I reckon but still) being cooped up inside is awful, being out always makes everything easier with kids doesn't it?

I have been through the changing pukey bed sheets in the middle of the night three nights in the past month, it's a nightmare, we ran out of clean sheets in the end and used big bed sheets and lined the cot with towels etc. It really is tough, can't imagine doing it with twins!!

Girls, you have my full sympathy as that sounds awful. And with all the newborn sleep deprivation too, greenttc. I would definitely be crying!

Fortunately Liam is rarely sick (touch wood) but that's mainly because he isn't at creche. That will all hit us when he starts the ECCE!

Speaking of which, I wonder when I need to start researching that? I've heard so many stories of having to put their names down yonks in advance....

My lads aren’t in crèche either! We seem to pick things up from friends children who do go to crèche.

Got out for a walk just before dark thankfully. Good for my sanity.

By the way. I haven’t mentioned in a while but my twin two won’t walk on his own. He wil walk away holding a hand or a finger. But he just won’t take that step. This is going on for weeks and weeks. Physio is flummoxed.

• Advertisement

Catriona the ECCE thing is so annoying. So they are entitled to their free place once they are 2 and 8 months by the September. So my guy not entitled to his place next year but rather 2020. I have his name down somewhere for next year but I'll have to pay. I guess it depends on each creche / preschool how busy they are but the place I have his name said I was being super organised.

Sorry to hear about all the sick babies. My guy not himself but nothing wrong. He's just waking hysterical EVERY NIGHT. So he's knackered during the day. Can't figure out what's waking him. Either teeth or bad dreams. :-(

Catriona the ECCE thing is so annoying. So they are entitled to their free place once they are 2 and 8 months by the September. So my guy not entitled to his place next year but rather 2020. I have his name down somewhere for next year but I'll have to pay. I guess it depends on each creche / preschool how busy they are but the place I have his name said I was being super organised.

Sorry to hear about all the sick babies. My guy not himself but nothing wrong. He's just waking hysterical EVERY NIGHT. So he's knackered during the day. Can't figure out what's waking him. Either teeth or bad dreams. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

To be honest though at 2 and 6/7 months they aren’t really ready for playschool. They are still very much babies. Kids are older in playschool these days so if it’s not streamed, the could be in playschool with 4-4.5 year olds who are a world apart from 2 year olds. From what I’ve seen 3+ is better from a settling/interaction perspective. Personally I’d stick with childcare in the form of crèche/minder until over 3.

We will be just over the 2 years 8 months next September but I can’t see them both being ready then. Maybe the following January. We will see how it works out.

Yeah I know 2 and a half is quite young but I just feel that 3 and a half starting playschool seems quite old. He's home with me full time so to have nothing till 3 and a half seems long. But I'll just see how things are next year. I'd like him to do 2 years but then he's be 5 and a half starting school. But will see how he is next year I guess.

To be honest though at 2 and 6/7 months they aren’t really ready for playschool. They are still very much babies. Kids are older in playschool these days so if it’s not streamed, the could be in playschool with 4-4.5 year olds who are a world apart from 2 year olds. From what I’ve seen 3+ is better from a settling/interaction perspective. Personally I’d stick with childcare in the form of crèche/minder until over 3.

Have to disagree with this, my lad is in a playschool since he was 18 months and he is doing so so well in it and he really loves going to "school" every morning. There are three children out of the 10 in the class that are a bit older but funilly enough these are the two my son "talks" about the most so they seem to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage to him.

For my lad, I feel he would have missed out on so much of he had waited till he was three, he wouldn't know all the songs he does and he would have less words and social skills if he hadn't started when he did.

All the bugs he picks up is really the only disadvantage for my wee man (in saying that, I hope it means he builds a good immunity in advance of primary school as a result!)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

greenttc wrote: »
    Have to disagree with this, my lad is in a playschool since he was 18 months and he is doing so so well in it and he really loves going to "school" every morning. There are three children out of the 10 in the class that are a bit older but funilly enough these are the two my son "talks" about the most so they seem to be more of an advantage than a disadvantage to him.

For my lad, I feel he would have missed out on so much of he had waited till he was three, he wouldn't know all the songs he does and he would have less words and social skills if he hadn't started when he did.

All the bugs he picks up is really the only disadvantage for my wee man (in saying that, I hope it means he builds a good immunity in advance of primary school as a result!)

I would call that sessional childcare though not actual playschool. An 18 month old doesn’t have the capacity to do the activities of actual playschool - independent planning, tabletop work, conflict resolution etc. They wouldn’t be toilet trained or even be trusted not to put things in their mouths. That’s why the ratios are much lower for that age group. At playschool level it’s 1 teacher to 11 children as they are somewhat independent at getting their own food/toileting/tidying up etc.

Dreamstar in my experience 3.5 isn’t too old at all as they settle much easier and have less separation anxiety. Obviously it’s your decision but just giving you another perspective. Being at home with the primary caregiver is an advantage not a disadvantage! Anyways no need to make a decision yet, see how he progresses as the time passes and you get out of the newborn haze.

Ah so it looks like my boy would be 3 years and 7 months before he could start it. Its disappointing that there are no longer entry points in Jan and April, as January when he's about to turn 3 would be ideal, I think.

We will likely start him in school the following September, so he will only be able to avail of one ECCE year. If he was born 4 weeks earlier, he would've got the two. I'm pretty disappointed about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

My older child started her free ecce year this year. She's 3.5 (march baby). She is in no way too old as all the children seem of a similar age, and some are over 4 for sure. She is absolutely thriving and is so unbelievably happy and I am literally gob smacked at all she is learning. They're little sponges.

Next dilemma is whether to send her to school next September or wait until she's 5.5. Everyone where I live seems to be keeping their children until they're over 5. I just don't know what to do! My teenager is in TY this year so my assessment of thus year for him and whether it's a waste if time will definitely factor in my decision for my two younger girls.

This parenting thing is hard. I do think there's no one age is best for starting preschool or school. I think every child is just so different that you just have to do whatever you think is best for your own. I have his name down to start next year and the following year. I'll see how he is and if I think he's ready next summer and take it from there. My mum has been a preschool teacher for years and is convinced I should send him next year but I'll see how I feel.

I'm currently in a dilemma about what to do with work now that I've two. I do a 3 day week so will either take a career break till kids are in school or find a creche or child minder for the 3 days a week. Its such a tough decision. I'm contacting childminers at the minute to see how much it would be. And whether it's worth my while going back. But managing on one wage will be so tight. Decisions decisions......

• Advertisement

This parenting thing is hard. I do think there's no one age is best for starting preschool or school. I think every child is just so different that you just have to do whatever you think is best for your own. I have his name down to start next year and the following year. I'll see how he is and if I think he's ready next summer and take it from there. My mum has been a preschool teacher for years and is convinced I should send him next year but I'll see how I feel.

I'm currently in a dilemma about what to do with work now that I've two. I do a 3 day week so will either take a career break till kids are in school or find a creche or child minder for the 3 days a week. Its such a tough decision. I'm contacting childminers at the minute to see how much it would be. And whether it's worth my while going back. But managing on one wage will be so tight. Decisions decisions......

Ah so it looks like my boy would be 3 years and 7 months before he could start it. Its disappointing that there are no longer entry points in Jan and April, as January when he's about to turn 3 would be ideal, I think.

We will likely start him in school the following September, so he will only be able to avail of one ECCE year. If he was born 4 weeks earlier, he would've got the two. I'm pretty disappointed about that.

Yeah it's really disappointing that they only just miss out. And this whole amazing incentive of two years free - sure a lot can't avail of the two years. Very unfair. The entry points apparently only changed this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

dreamstar wrote:
    Yeah it's really disappointing that they only just miss out. And this whole amazing incentive of two years free - sure a lot can't avail of the two years. Very unfair. The entry points apparently only changed this year.

Yes, only changed this year. I had gone to our local preschool when she was only a few weeks old to put her name down. Their entry points were September, January and April so she was due to start April 2020 when she'll be 3 and 2 months but now with only one entry point, it'll be September 2020 when she's 3 and 7 months.
    Relieved to read that it's not too old.

Anyone having any sleep issues with your toddlers at the minut? My guy has always been a great sleeper until recently.

It's going on about 3 weeks now- he's waking crying and I can hear him groaning during the night. He's not hot/cold, not sick. We can't figure out what's going on. He was getting out of his sleeping bag so we bought a new one he can't open but he's still waking. Sometimes hysterical. He is teething but is totally fine during the day. He's also waking at 5.30 when he would have ALWAYS slept till at least 7. I keep hoping it's a phase but it's been nearly a month now. We're exhausted but don't know what else to do.

Anyone having any sleep issues with your toddlers at the minut? My guy has always been a great sleeper until recently.

It's going on about 3 weeks now- he's waking crying and I can hear him groaning during the night. He's not hot/cold, not sick. We can't figure out what's going on. He was getting out of his sleeping bag so we bought a new one he can't open but he's still waking. Sometimes hysterical. He is teething but is totally fine during the day. He's also waking at 5.30 when he would have ALWAYS slept till at least 7. I keep hoping it's a phase but it's been nearly a month now. We're exhausted but don't know what else to do.

This happens on and off with our lad, sounds exactly as you describe, sometimes so hysterical he won't even let us touch him. A lot of the time he will just scream face down into his mattress and all I can do is rub his back until he calms down. A lot of the time I find that he is actually still asleep and it seems to be a really bad nightmare that he is going through.

The groaning and small bits of crying we just don't even go in to him now as we find he settles quicker and better than if we went in to him and the same for the early rising, we just don't go near him, a lot of the time he just talks away to himself and his Teddy.

So some are nightmares and others I am just putting down as phases he is going through, not sure it's anything more than that

We saw a paediatrician today. Proper long and thorough consultation. We are doing a selection of tests now in next few weeks on my twin two who has a global developmental delay. Bit scary but action is better than none

Green sounds exactly the same. The groaning we also have started leaving him coz we were making it worse by going in. Just wish he could tell us what's going on. Hopefully it will settle soon.

Fits so sorry to hear that. What do they think is going on?

Green sounds exactly the same. The groaning we also have started leaving him coz we were making it worse by going in. Just wish he could tell us what's going on. Hopefully it will settle soon.

Fits so sorry to hear that. What do they think is going on?

No ideas yet. It could be any of a number of things.

fits wrote: »
    No ideas yet. It could be any of a number of things.

I'm sure it is scary like you said fits, when I think of the worry you go through over a mere sniffle with these children, the thoughts of them having to go through tests and the possibility of what could come out in the results must be absolutely terrifying as a parent but it must be a big relief to be able to take some kind of action and feel like you are not helpless and you are taking steps towards helping them as best you can.

Hope you get a definitive result with something that is very easy to resolve, definitely keep us updated, I will be thinking of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Sounds like a scary time fits but fair play to you for taking action so quickly. Really hope you get clear answers and guidance.

Advertisement