Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I guess irrespective of the results he is already in the system. He might be a candidate for a special preschool. The pediatrician mentioned a long list of tests including genetic testing.

He’s a lovely boy though. So sweet and affectionate. Gets on great with his twin. Loves his grandparents. But the delay in walking and speech is hard. He has some words like hi, all gone, banana and the animal sounds.

We are going back to swimming tomorrow. Seemingly it’s a good exercise for toddlers with hypermobility. We are all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You sound very calm and well-informed about it all. I'm sure you've had many nights spent worrying about him, but you sound very reasoned about it all. I really hope you get an answer soon, and that it's something mild or something that just takes a bit of extra work for you all. He sounds like a wee dote. Please keep us updated.

Liam's latest thing is to loudly shout, "Hello lovely man!" And "Hello lovely lady!" to people We encounter when out and about. Its pretty funny but also can he highly embarrassing!

I think the worst was last Easter when I first realized he wasn’t catching up. The thing is So many of these syndromes have similar symptoms. So he could have something like that or it could just be the hyper mobility. Just hope things are on the milder scale. And trying not to google too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah so it looks like my boy would be 3 years and 7 months before he could start it. Its disappointing that there are no longer entry points in Jan and April, as January when he's about to turn 3 would be ideal, I think.

We will likely start him in school the following September, so he will only be able to avail of one ECCE year. If he was born 4 weeks earlier, he would've got the two. I'm pretty disappointed about that.

Caitriona my 1st april 2016 baby won't start ECCE til she's 3.5, and she'll do the full two years.
    I wouldn't commit to rushing into school til yoh see how he gets on.Even looking at photos yesterday of my eldest, she's almost 4.5 and im her second ECCE year - emotionally and socially, she is much better to have done the second year in ECCE.Teachers will say that is particularly true of boys too.Majority of parents around us keep the kids til 5 now too, it's Jan/Feb and especially March babies that people seem to dither most over, as they would be the younger end of the classes now.

shesty wrote: »
    Caitriona my 1st april 2016 baby won't start ECCE til she's 3.5, and she'll do the full two years.
    I wouldn't commit to rushing into school til yoh see how he gets on.Even looking at photos yesterday of my eldest, she's almost 4.5 and im her second ECCE year - emotionally and socially, she is much better to have done the second year in ECCE.Teachers will say that is particularly true of boys too.Majority of parents around us keep the kids til 5 now too, it's Jan/Feb and especially March babies that people seem to dither most over, as they would be the younger end of the classes now.

Yes, my mam is a teacher and she was saying the same. I do feel he will be ready for school, academically anyway, sooner rather than later. Without wanting to sound like I'm bragging, he has known his colours, his shapes and how to count to 10 in two languages from 18 months. He's 21 months now and is pointing to numbers when out and about and saying what they are, and he can tell you if it's 1, 2 or 3 o'clock by looking at the hand on the clock. So he's good that way. But my mam was saying that you also have to think about how he will cope socially with "tougher" kids, especially if those tougher kids in the class are a whole year older than him. And then when they are older and experiencing peer pressure to drink etc, he will be more vulnerable if he is younger. Which is all true. I guess it all depends on how engaging the pre-school is? I wouldnt want him to be bored if he's still in pre-school at 5.5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be honest.....both my girls are quite smart that way (my two year old astounds me).And the preschool tell me quietly on a regular basis my four year old is very bright.

But she still melts down when she can't get something to work first time and will not stick at it to try and work it out, she has a temper tantrum when she doesn't get her own way at times and can be very obstinate when told no.That sounds awful, but I can see the drastic improvements in her since she started there at just 3.And it's that stuff I'm concerned about.Can she handle a teacher telling her no, we are doing this now, not your chosen activity?Can she handle not winning at a game (she can't at present, there was a strop last week because two other kids got jellies for winning musical statues and she didn't).Can she wait and take her turn to speak, and listen to other kids when they speak, instead of talking continuously over everyone to get heard?(work in progress!)

They all start at the start academically in junior infants anyway, regardless of what they might know beforehand going in, so to me it's the social and emotional side of things going in that's the priority, rather than the a,b,c stuff.All preschools are different so it kind of depends on what you want.Ours is play-focused...all about play.They do circle time and that, and I think this year they may do a little counting or letters but that's it.And that's fine by us, there's plent yof time for the academic stuff next year in school.Other preschools do tracing letters, learning numbers and the like-to me it's way too early to be doing that, and play needs to be the priority at 3 and 4, but look, there's tonnes of research out there on the different approaches so you need to look around and make up your own mind.

Anyway, I'm derailing this thread and it's not the point really!I just wanted to say don't write off the second year in preschool til you see hpw the first goes and even, the rough age profile of the other kids going on to primary school.

shesty wrote: »
    To be honest.....both my girls are quite smart that way (my two year old astounds me).And the preschool tell me quietly on a regular basis my four year old is very bright.

But she still melts down when she can't get something to work first time and will not stick at it to try and work it out, she has a temper tantrum when she doesn't get her own way at times and can be very obstinate when told no.That sounds awful, but I can see the drastic improvements in her since she started there at just 3.And it's that stuff I'm concerned about.Can she handle a teacher telling her no, we are doing this now, not your chosen activity?Can she handle not winning at a game (she can't at present, there was a strop last week because two other kids got jellies for winning musical statues and she didn't).Can she wait and take her turn to speak, and listen to other kids when they speak, instead of talking continuously over everyone to get heard?(work in progress!)

They all start at the start academically in junior infants anyway, regardless of what they might know beforehand going in, so to me it's the social and emotional side of things going in that's the priority, rather than the a,b,c stuff.All preschools are different so it kind of depends on what you want.Ours is play-focused...all about play.They do circle time and that, and I think this year they may do a little counting or letters but that's it.And that's fine by us, there's plent yof time for the academic stuff next year in school.Other preschools do tracing letters, learning numbers and the like-to me it's way too early to be doing that, and play needs to be the priority at 3 and 4, but look, there's tonnes of research out there on the different approaches so you need to look around and make up your own mind.

Anyway, I'm derailing this thread and it's not the point really!I just wanted to say don't write off the second year in preschool til you see hpw the first goes and even, the rough age profile of the other kids going on to primary school.

That's really helpful and very true on many counts! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Hello gang, it's been very quiet here lately. Hoping everyone had a lovely Christmas and New Year. Our girl was aware of Santa and saying hohoho but not a clue about presents. We didn't get her much, just a few books, a wooden ambulance, new dummies and a potty.

This leads me to my question, has anyone else started potty training? She is showing great awareness as in asking to sit on the potty or holding herself and saying she does wees. I have a 3day weekend next week and am very tempted to train her properly in those 3 days. I have read up on training in 3 days and it is intense but doable. If it doesn't work this time, I have another 3 day weekend in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Happy new year February mummy's!

Yes our wee man was able to rhyme off all the Christmas lines, ho ho ho, happy Christmas, santa coming down the chimney and he knew that the Guinness and mince pies and carrots were for santa and the reindeer. He also was able to sing lots of Christmas songs (and is still singing them!)

Potty training, well, boys are said to be much slower at starting and getting used to the potty so I am almost thinking of leaving it up to another year! He does tell me about poo pops and wee wees and even goes off to a corner to do his number twos but much and all as I would love to be rid of nappies I don't think I will start yet, I have just read so many places that with boys you definitely don't want to rush them so I might give it a go in the summer with the idea that it may not work at all. Also I heard summer is the best time to do it cause it is warm and they can run around with no bottoms or nappy on.

Saying all of that though, my niece was done with nappies before her second birthday and never looked back so it's totally doable with girls!

Interested to hear how you get on smaoifs

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭tangobelle2010

smaoifs wrote:
    This leads me to my question, has anyone else started potty training? She is showing great awareness as in asking to sit on the potty or holding herself and saying she does wees. I have a 3day weekend next week and am very tempted to train her properly in those 3 days. I have read up on training in 3 days and it is intense but doable. If it doesn't work this time, I have another 3 day weekend in February.

I haven't started yet either. She has been showing interest in potty for about two months and I have left nappy off a few times but nothing materialises except for peeing anywhere but the potty! I am thinking of turning my attention to it in next couple months. She does go off to a corner to poo though so she's quite aware of what's happening. My older girl was trained at 2 yrs 6 months...in three days, easy peasy. My boy was a lot lot harder at 2 yrs 8 months. Being free of nappies will be amazing but Being potty trained brings its own set of challenges and inconveniences!

My dolly is such a daddy's girl. It's at stage now where she won't even let me lift her from cot...it has to be daddy. Wouldn't want to be too sensitive!

It's hard to believe our babas will be turning two soon isn't it!

• Advertisement

Yeah we are nowhere near potty-ready either. He announces, "doing a poo, mammy" when he's off in a corner doing his business. I reply with, "have you done a poo, Liam?" And he is like NOPE, NO POO because he hates having his nappy changed! He isn't interested in the toilet and I don't think he could get his trousers up and down either. Although I have started making a song and dance over flushing the contents of his nappy down the toilet, and he gets so excited to come and watch it flush away. It's pretty funny, although seriously gross.

I'm going to wait until he is really really ready because I haven't got time for accidents!

He will be two at the end of this month. I can't believe it!

Are other little ones mega mega clingy these days or is it just us? He won't let me leave his sight, and wants to be picked up and carried all the time. He is also constantly climbing up onto my lap and hugging and kissing me, which I am enjoying!

We are going to try get one of the ALDI potty’s. So I guess we are beginning to think about it but I’d say it’s a while away still. Twin 2 has started walking and communication is coming along too. All good with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Sounds like everyone doing well. I can't get over the difference in my guy in the last few weeks. So many words and such a happy guy. We had a few bad weeks before Xmas with colds, coughs and tummy bugs so delighted he's back to himself.
    Potty training - we're defo nowhere close. I'm going to wait till summer to try it. Actually having some issues with that. So he eats a lot! Has a massive appetite. But he gets diarrhoea a lot. Like seems like a he'll of a lot to me. I haven't been worried coz he drinks loads of water and in great form and eating well. But it's getting to the stage he's waking at night upset with bad nappies.
    I'm going to check with doc next week But anyone else experienced this? Like he's never had a solid poo. Except once or twice when constipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

dreamstar wrote: »
    Actually having some issues with that. So he eats a lot! Has a massive appetite. But he gets diarrhoea a lot. Like seems like a he'll of a lot to me. I haven't been worried coz he drinks loads of water and in great form and eating well. But it's getting to the stage he's waking at night upset with bad nappies.
    I'm going to check with doc next week But anyone else experienced this? Like he's never had a solid poo. Except once or twice when constipated.

Hi Dreamstar!

My little guy was just like that :( We went thru nappies like I don't know what. He could do three to four dirty bums a day and none of them were solid. I spoke to my GP about it and got him tested for celiac disease & lactose intolerance. Both came back negative but since then, we've moved him on to lactose free milk, yogurts & butter & the improvement is unbelievable. He goes just once (maybe twice) a day & never has the runs anymore. See what your GP says when you visit :)

It does sound like an intolerance dreamstar. Nappies like that would be rare for us. 1-2 dirty nappies a day here. usually 1

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Actually having some issues with that. So he eats a lot! Has a massive appetite. But he gets diarrhoea a lot. Like seems like a he'll of a lot to me. I haven't been worried coz he drinks loads of water and in great form and eating well. But it's getting to the stage he's waking at night upset with bad nappies.

Hi Dreamstar!

My little guy was just like that :( We went thru nappies like I don't know what. He could do three to four dirty bums a day and none of them were solid. I spoke to my GP about it and got him tested for celiac disease & lactose intolerance. Both came back negative but since then, we've moved him on to lactose free milk, yogurts & butter & the improvement is unbelievable. He goes just once (maybe twice) a day & never has the runs anymore. See what your GP says when you visit :)

Oh really? Yeah definitely think there's an intolerance somewhere. It's just recently it's gotten worse. Since he stopped his bottles which is weird.
    How do they test for celiac and lactose intolerance? Is the lactose free stuff hard to find? I've never noticed it in shops.
    At the minute he's having 5 dirty nappies a day on average. Poor thing

Oh really? Yeah definitely think there's an intolerance somewhere. It's just recently it's gotten worse. Since he stopped his bottles which is weird.
    How do they test for celiac and lactose intolerance? Is the lactose free stuff hard to find? I've never noticed it in shops.

Oh that must be so hard on all of you. And I bet it gives him a lot of nappy rash too. Poor chap.

I have no personal experience with the nappies, but I am lactose intolerant myself. There are different degrees of intolerance and most people can tolerate some dairy, but to differential amounts. I take lactase tablets to help me digest it when I do eat dairy.

There's usually a good selection of lactose free products in the Free From sections of most supermarkets. The milk and cheese arent bad actually. And then you can always give non-dairy milks too. I would just double check with your doctor though because I know young kids have a much greater need for milk and calcium than most adults do, so you don't want to go giving him milk substitutes without doing a bit of research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Hi all, glad to hear all the babas are doing well. I have potty training in mind for sometime in the summer. I feel like trying too early could end up creating all sorts of problems and frustration.

We’re actually in Australia at the moment on a long family holiday. The weather here is perfect for her to run around without a nappy and be trained but I just think it’s too early yet.

Yes, our little guy was the same - once we stopped his formula. Although he did have really bad cradle cap when he was a tiny baba & I remember the GP saying that that can be a sign of intolerance but I didn't really register it at the time.

We had a blood test for the intolerances. Although I think you might be able to do allergy testing too (we've had that done too because our little guy has asthma). Allergy testing is totally fine compared to the blood test. But we just went to our local hospital where they are well used to taking blood from kids so it was fine. He still roared the place down of course.

The lactose free stuff is really easy to get. Likewise, I never paid much attention to it. But we get the lactose free milk in Tesco (Aldi have it too). We give him soya yogurts too.

Thanks cheerlouth. Have GP appointment tomorrow so will see what they say.
    God I couldn't imagine how they'd get a blood sample from a toddler!!!!

• Advertisement

To be honest, it's worse for the parents I think. They can use a spray to numb them but we still had to pretty much hold our guy down. I just kept thinking "have to be cruel to be kind". He was over it literally 30 seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Hi all had nearly forgotten about this thread.
    Great to read all the posts and catching up on the near 2 year olds now!!
    All going well here. Little madam has had her first haircut too and now looks about 7!!!
    We seem to have hit some sort of a sleep regression in the last few days. Has completely resisted her nap for her dad and was hysterical tonight at bedtime for an hour. Screaming for me to go into her and wanting to get out of the cot. Calms down straight away when I hugged her. Could be separation anxiety either I suppose. We have been spoilt with her sleep for the last year or so, so this had to be expected at some stage.

Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying seeing them growing and changing everyday.

Deh the sleep regressions are so tough. But just keep telling yourself it's not forever. We had a really tough time before Xmas with our guy. He had a never ending cold, bad cough, 3 weeks of diarrhoea and then vomiting bug. Thankfully back to normal now.
    Had him with GP yesterday. He doesn't seem concerned about the diarrhoea. I've to try eliminating foods for a few days and see what it is. He said start with fruits and do milk last. I've to leave a sample in too.

Advertisement