Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Greenttc, I'm in the January group but I had my first appt with he midwife in Holles street this week. I didn't get a scan, unfortunately. But she did listen to the heartbeat with a Doppler which was bice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Hey ladies,
    Glad to hear you are all doing so well and nearly at the 12 week mark. I feel WAY behind! :rolleyes:

So.....I had my scan yesterday - I'm 6 weeks 5 days. All seems fine though it is still quite early. Saw the little embryo with a little heartbeat. She said it was strong at 160bpm. But then she said there was ANOTHER HEARTBEAT!!! :eek:
    But this embryo is a lot smaller and the heart rate a lot slower at 79bpm. So I don't really know what to think. I imagine it's not looking good for the smaller embryo but I don't know what effect that would have on the stronger one. So I'm still a bit in limbo. Have another scan next week to check.

I also saw the doc yesterday. Bit of advice for those public in Holles St. If you get an appointment for 1 be there at 12:30. They give everyone the same appointment and it is BUSY. I was given the 1 o'clock yesterday and only got out after 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Padme

I have my first appointment in holles street on Monday week, they said there would be a scan at it. I didn't have a scan on my first appointment last time, so I assumed it was a new thing...

greenttc wrote: »
    Lots of scans coming up for people.i am public in holles Street and have been told there is no scan until 20 weeks. I have a small hope though that because i am in a high risk clinic there might be a scan, fingers crossed.

Anyone have any experience of that?

When you see the doctor in outpatients they have scanning machines there. I've been twice and they scanned me each time. Or if you wanted to pay you could get a scan in merrion fetal clinic - it's €95.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Wow dreamstar, what a scan for you! Brilliant news that there is a good healthy baby number one, what a shock to find a second one too, your head must be all over the place as well as being delighted! Now you will have to wait in anticipation for the next scan, for a time when you are supposed to be relaxed and stress free these babies certainly don't make it easy!

I have had one scan in the merrion and will go there again if I dont get one at my appointment but I don't want to go and book it incase I do get one. I think I will be seeing a consultant so hoping they use the one in their room like you said. Did they give you print outs of images when they did it in holles Street or no? I know it's not their priority to do that but it would be nice!

Excellent tip other getting there early thing, I have 1 o'clock appointment on Wednesday so will definitely get there early. I have to see another consultant too aswell as a nurse so will really be doing the rounds! Should probably bring a book too!

• Advertisement

Greenttc, I'm in the January group but I had my first appt with he midwife in Holles street this week. I didn't get a scan, unfortunately. But she did listen to the heartbeat with a Doppler which was bice.

Yes I think I read that you said that in the January thread, I am hoping that cause I see a consultant in high risk that I might get a little scan, how can we go so long without a scan??? Although the doppler would give the same peace of mind too so there is that at least.

Padme, that's interesting that they said you would have a scan, are you public in holles too?

Wow dreamstar, what a scan for you! Brilliant news that there is a good healthy baby number one, what a shock to find a second one too, your head must be all over the place as well as being delighted! Now you will have to wait in anticipation for the next scan, for a time when you are supposed to be relaxed and stress free these babies certainly don't make it easy!

I have had one scan in the merrion and will go there again if I dont get one at my appointment but I don't want to go and book it incase I do get one. I think I will be seeing a consultant so hoping they use the one in their room like you said. Did they give you print outs of images when they did it in holles Street or no? I know it's not their priority to do that but it would be nice!

Excellent tip other getting there early thing, I have 1 o'clock appointment on Wednesday so will definitely get there early. I have to see another consultant too aswell as a nurse so will really be doing the rounds! Should probably bring a book too!

Yep! Not very stress free. Still trying to focus on the good news we got though. :D Yes they did give me printouts - not that you can really make anything out. My hubby couldn't make the appointment so I showed him the pics - his face when he saw it! Think he was expecting a full on baby shape! :D

Yes definitely get there early. I found the place really confusing and would have loved someone to explain the system to me so I'll give you the heads up! What happens is you check in, get your chart and then you Q for the midwife. She will take details and get you to wee in a cup. Then they take your file and you go back out to wait for the doctor to call you. So if you are in the wrong Q you will be delayed (I did this first time!) So when you get your file find the line of people waiting for the midwife and not the doctor. And DEFINITELY bring a book. There is no wi-fi there. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ohmy dreamstar what a surprise! Delighted to hear one is looking healthy. Glad they are bringing you back next week. Maybe no. 2 is just a bit behind.

Yes I think I read that you said that in the January thread, I am hoping that cause I see a consultant in high risk that I might get a little scan, how can we go so long without a scan??? Although the doppler would give the same peace of mind too so there is that at least.

Padme, that's interesting that they said you would have a scan, are you public in holles too?

I'm booked in for semi private, but might be moved to high risk depending on what the midwife thinks. I previously attended the recurrent miscarriage clinic there before this pregnancy, plus I'm now over 40 and this is an ivf pregnancy.

Is the high risk clinic really busy?

Dreamstar, wow, that must have been some shock! When is your next scan?

Padme wrote: »

Dreamstar, wow, that must have been some shock! When is your next scan?

Yeah it is a bit of a shock but honestly the nurse didn't seem too optimistic about the smaller embryo surviving so I don't know what to think. And it was a tad frustrating because any question I asked she just kept saying 'It's too early to tell...' or 'we can't be sure...'. Of course I understand that they can't say anything for certain but I left not really knowing much. She actually said - 'I'm not sure what I'm telling you but I can see two little embryos and one yolk sac'. I've been looking up some info online and apparently this kind of thing is very common and that one twin can pass and gets reabsorbed into the body. They call in the vanishing twin. :( Kinda sad. It's just noticed a lot more now with people getting more and more early scans.

Anyway my next scan is next Thursday - so will update you all then. Hopefully all will be ok.

• Advertisement

Do keep us updated. My second embryo wasn't seen on the first scan at 7 weeks. I was in for a scan at 8 weeks and they saw it then. I do think vanishing twin is quite common. I guess all you can do is wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Too nervous to start a March thread but am 5weeks 5days and very hopeful! Had early mc last year. Have app coming up this week. Praying things keep going well

Too nervous to start a March thread but am 5weeks 5days and very hopeful! Had early mc last year. Have app coming up this week. Praying things keep going well

Aw I'm technicaly March too! Am 7 weeks today.
    But biggest congratulations! Hope you are feeling well! X

Congrats too x you must be due right at the start of March! How are you getting on? I'm feeling good with some symptoms that am actually glad to have. So tired and crazy hungry. First bit of nausea today.
    Downloaded ovia and spending way too much time on it. Have a 17yr old so huge gap and we've been trying for nearly three yrs. Excited but afraid to be too.
    dreamstar wrote: »
    Aw I'm technicaly March too! Am 7 weeks today.
    But biggest congratulations! Hope you are feeling well! X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

There are a few marchers in here now... Somebody start a march thread! I've been excitedly anticipating one! (I'm in the January thread myself)

I've just had to buy maternity jeans, I'm huge! 11 weeks today. I don't like buying anything before 12 weeks but I had no choice.

My sister had a vanishing twin Dreamstar, apparently it is common. Must be very mixed emotions for you. Hope all goes well Thurs.

My sister had a vanishing twin Dreamstar, apparently it is common. Must be very mixed emotions for you. Hope all goes well Thurs.

Thanks so much. Kinda don't know how I feel. Twins would be obviously higher risk but would be amazing. Anyway it's out of my hands will just have to see what happens.

Surprisingly though I don't have many pregnancy symptoms. My mam suffered awful with morning sickness but I seem to be ok so far - I know it's only early days. The tiredness is tough though. I have to go for a little stroll after lunch in work to keep me awake for the afternoon!

Dreamstar don't worry about no symptoms, I had nothing really, a few cramps and only now in the past few weeks some heartburn but nothing else. My mom and sister both had really bad nausea and getting sick so you can't always compare with family. We are the lucky ones! Hopefully you stay like that although I totally understand the fear, symptoms seem to validate it all!

I feel so uncomfortable in jeans now, I have just gotten in from being out and am straight into pyjamas and a sports bra! My jeans are all too tight and I have maternity stuff but it's too big yet... I dunno what to do!!! Thankfully it will he hot early next week so I will be wearing those loose wide leg trousers with a stretchy waistband to work then!

Welcome to all the March ladies! I am delighted to have you here, crazy how time has passed so much now that there is a new month starting but I don't want it to be the end of new comers to our Feb thread! The more the merrier so stick around! So very exciting!!!

My mother had bad morning sickness on both me and my brother, never really went away until she had us. I didn't have any at all with my son, and only vague nausea this time when tired or hungry.
    Actually I didn't have any of the typical symptoms - no food cravings, no food aversion, no mood swings, no sickness. The only thing I ever had was the exhaustion and then later heartburn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Hey everyone, so I'm currently 9 weeks and feeling so tired this week. I'm thinking it must be a combination of the heat and pregnancy tiredness as I'm just so drained. I'm also feeling really bloated this week and really conscious of my stomach. Nor sure if the pronounced bump I'm seeing is a proper bump or just all the bloating. Trousers are starting to get uncomfortable but it's even more noticeable in skirts or dresses so I'm finding it hard to figure out what to be wearing to work. At this rate, when I tell work, it'll be no surprise to anyone! Hope everyone else is keeping well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

It's just bloating which is very common, baby is still tucked inside your pelvis for another few weeks so it's not making a bump obvious yet. My bloating died off at about week 14, it's mad how it can give you such a pronounced bump s early, I wasn't as big again as I was at 9 weeks until about 28 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Thank you! That's good to know, I was starting to freak out about how huge I was going to be as, you're right, it really is pronounced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

ally_pally wrote:
    Hey everyone, so I'm currently 9 weeks and feeling so tired this week. I'm thinking it must be a combination of the heat and pregnancy tiredness as I'm just so drained. I'm also feeling really bloated this week and really conscious of my stomach. Nor sure if the pronounced bump I'm seeing is a proper bump or just all the bloating. Trousers are starting to get uncomfortable but it's even more noticeable in skirts or dresses so I'm finding it hard to figure out what to be wearing to work. At this rate, when I tell work, it'll be no surprise to anyone! Hope everyone else is keeping well.

I'm the same!! 10 weeks and feel I'm showing already. Change clothes a few times each morning and always settle on same top, different colour each day under a light caridgan I can wrap around me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Rang my GP today to see when should I expect my 12 week letter for the hospital. Turns out they never sent my referral cos the reception never passed on my message that I was going public.
    They're sending my file to the hospital this evening so hopefully I'll find out my appoitment soon. WUH is currently at 13-16weeks anyway.

So I had my second scan yesterday at 7 + 5. At my scan last week the sonographer saw two heartbeats. One was a lot bigger and faster than the other. One was 160bpm and the other 78bpm.
    So yesterday there was definitely just one. I was so confused. The sonographer yesterday was like 'maybe the lady doing it last week saw the same one from different angles and thought there were two'. But it doesn't make sense because there were definitely two different heart rates - I saw them. Would the second one really disappear that quickly?

Of course we are just so happy that the one we saw is looking perfect - perfect size and hearing that sound of the heartbeat is just AMAZING! So while I'm confused I'm so over the moon.
    Have another scan now next week.

dreamstar wrote: »
    So I had my second scan yesterday at 7 + 5. At my scan last week the sonographer saw two heartbeats. One was a lot bigger and faster than the other. One was 160bpm and the other 78bpm.
    So yesterday there was definitely just one. I was so confused. The sonographer yesterday was like 'maybe the lady doing it last week saw the same one from different angles and thought there were two'. But it doesn't make sense because there were definitely two different heart rates - I saw them. Would the second one really disappear that quickly?

Of course we are just so happy that the one we saw is looking perfect - perfect size and hearing that sound of the heartbeat is just AMAZING! So while I'm confused I'm so over the moon.
    Have another scan now next week.

That's so odd, maybe you'll know more at the next scan?

I'm totally over the moon here. The clinic rang this evening with the results of my harmony test - I wasn't expecting them until next week. I'm low risk for all the chromosomal abnormalities thank God. It's been on my mind a lot, given my age. I'm so so so relieved now! We are going to tell our son this evening, and we're driving down to tell my parents tomorrow. Yay! I'm in maternity jeans now, so there's no hiding it. 12 weeks tomorrow :)

Dreamstar, what an odd situation, do you feel a little happier to think there was never a second one so that there is no actual loss or does it feel like a loss anyway. Suppose you just have to keep happy at the fully healthy and perfect baby that is in there right now. Less risk with one too!

Padme that is great news and a massive relief i am sure, amazing what they can test for now, my mom is constantly amazed that we evne can have scans at normal appointments, there was none of that in her day as she keeps saying!

Smaoifs, that is a little frustrating that you were never reffered, will it delay appointments for you then? Annoying!!

So i had my appointment this week and it all went well and yes i got a scan which i was worried about not getting, the obstetrician said they give one to everyone at all appointments, just incase anyone else is wondering. Saw the wee babu moving around, it was so mad to think that it is inside me!!! Fierce exciting.

Holles street is totally nuts, it is all over the place with no real direction about where to go or who to see! Suppose i will get used to it though! Didnt care once i saw the little wiggly baby though!

greenttc wrote:
    Holles street is totally nuts, it is all over the place with no real direction about where to go or who to see! Suppose i will get used to it though! Didnt care once i saw the little wiggly baby though!

Yeah it's totally mad isn't it? Like you're supposed to sit in a particular place but nobody tells you that. I found it bizarre. What consultant do they have you under? So exciting to see the movement. I can't wait for that.
    greenttc wrote:
    Dreamstar, what an odd situation, do you feel a little happier to think there was never a second one so that there is no actual loss or does it feel like a loss anyway. Suppose you just have to keep happy at the fully healthy and perfect baby that is in there right now. Less risk with one too!

I don't know it's weird. There were definitely two coz I saw them both on one screen. I'm back on Wednesday so have loads of questions. To be honest I think twins would be a lot higher risk. I'm just so happy our little bean looks strong. Hubbys face when he heard the heartbeat was just magical! Finding it so hard not to tell EVERYONE!!!!

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you have one strong one dreamstar.

Advertisement