Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2017 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Thanks everyone! The bottles at my GP are tiny but my sister suggested grabbing an empty cup from the water cooler, peeing in that and transferring to the tube.

Very excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

smaoifs wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! The bottles at my GP are tiny but my sister suggested grabbing an empty cup from the water cooler, peeing in that and transferring to the tube.

Very excited!!

I had a very small very old jug at home that was heading for the bin. That is my new friend when using the small gp containers!

So I have taken the plunge and have signed up for a gentle birth workshop. Have done a good bit off research on it which included talking to a friend who is generally as sceptical as me when it comes to stuff like this.

Here's hoping I get as much out of it as others do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Think it's time I bit the bullet and jumped in here

Due Feb 8th by my calculations, so 15+1 now.
    Been fairly ok so far, very minimal nausea from wks 7-10ish, and am floored with exhaustion at some point in most days.
    I've always had severe mood dips with pmt, and getting them occasionally with the pregnancy, but they never last more than 2-3 days which makes it sort of tolerable :)

Had a scan at 6 and 8 wks due to a wee concern the gp had, but all was perfect and the epu ran me. Booking appointment on Monday coming, and not expecting another scan until around wk 20, doesn't help my impatience that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

greenttc wrote: »
    So I have taken the plunge and have signed up for a gentle birth workshop. Have done a good bit off research on it which included talking to a friend who is generally as sceptical as me when it comes to stuff like this.

Here's hoping I get as much out of it as others do!!

Hey Greenttc - what is gentle birth? I'm curious.
    I've been told I more than likely can't get an epidural so am going to sign up for yoga classes etc but this sounds interesting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

dreamstar wrote: »
    I've been told I more than likely can't get an epidural so am going to sign up for yoga classes etc but this sounds interesting too.

There's another thread on it in the pregnancy form - won't let me post the link tho.

It's like hypno-birthing. You listen to some tracks as you go through the pregnancy & they help you to stay calm etc. It's supposed to help you stay in control during the birth. It doesn't mean that you don't have to have any pain relief - it's about keeping you calm & helping you to cope. I'm also doing it but via the app. Himself is not totally on board with it so not sure I'd be able to convince him to do the workshop - he's shocking old-fashioned about some things :P

Thanks CheerLouth.
    Think I'll give the app a go and see.

It's dear enough - think it's 12.99 a month. But you can cancel it after the first month if you don't think you'll get any benefit out of it. They also add you to a private Facebook group that has a lot of really positive birth stories.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    It's dear enough - think it's 12.99 a month. But you can cancel it after the first month if you don't think you'll get any benefit out of it. They also add you to a private Facebook group that has a lot of really positive birth stories.

And do you know how much the workshops are?

And do you know how much the workshops are?

No idea to be honest.

• Advertisement

Hey dreamstar, I only read about it on different forums etc but it is an app that helps you train your mind a little like hypno birthing I suppose, keeps you calm and gives you confidence to let your body do all the work it already instinctively knows how to do during labour. It is supposed to eliminate the fear we have of the whole process.

The workshops build on this and go through birthing techniques, inform you of the whole process and possible outcomes so that you are prepared for making any decisions you might have to make unexpectedly. It also teaches your partner what to do and gives them a more active role and helps them advocate for you when you are trying to concentrate on labour and they also go through the different policies for each hospital.

The app has lots of guided meditations etc which train your mind. If you knew me you would think I was mad as this stuff is so not what I believe or am into at all, I would have put it all down to mumbo jumbo bit i have a friend who has similar feelings to me when it comes to stuff like that and she had high praise for it. I have also never read a bad review of it apart from someone on another recent thread in this forum giving out about it but they had never actually used it. That's why I didn't contribute to that thread, no point condemning something unless you try it!

Will let you know how I get on and what thought!

Yeah it is a bit pricey especially when it is a monthly thing and the workshops are more expensive! But if it helps me I am going to try it.

I think you can join the Facebook page even when you don't have the app/workshop. My friend just added me to it a month ago so I could see what it was about. Ita worth joining even if you don't buy all the other stuff.lota of positive birth stories etc which I liked. It is private which suits me cause I don't really want to share my pregnancy status with all my Facebook friends who I haven't seen in years!

BTW dreamstar don't rule that epidural out just cause of the innohep, I certainly am not! We could be ( hopefully will be) lucky with our timings!!!

Also meant to post and say welcome to s4uv3!!!

Cheers louth, how are you finding the app, I only started using it yesterday, must make time for the daily meditations, are you managing it every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Hi greenttc, thanks for all the info on gentle birth. It's something I've heard lots of people mention but didn't know much about and I'd be really interested in giving it a go. Will be really keen to hear how you find the workshop. Can I ask, what's the name of the Facebook group? When I search for Gentle Birth, a million options come up. There seems to be a large one called GentleBirth and then what looks like a more Irish group called GentleBirth Mums. Looks like I have 4 Facebook friends already part of that group, including one who's a MASSIVE gossip. So that'll get rid of the hassle of telling people in my home town I'm pregnant I suppose. :D

I like the sounds of Gentle Birth, but to be honest I don't know if it's sunk in yet that there's gonna be a baby! I think it'll take a few more months before I properly get my head around the actual birth. Meeting midwives etc on Monday might kick it all into gear for me :D

Ally Pally yeah it is the gentle birth mums one that I am part of and everyone talks about irish hospitals and there are irish instructors who post and answer questions, it is defo worth reading every now and again even if you have nothing else to do with gentle birth. My workshop is not for another few weeks but I will certainly give you feedback when I have done it.

I know two other members on the page but to be honest I would never really post anything there, I am not comfortable with other people knowing my business, not that you would know that from my posting here but at least there is some anonymity behind having a username instead of my real name on boards! luckily the two people I know on it would not be ones to spread news or talk about me but I am so paranoid of other people on my page that I would not even "like" a baby related page and I never post anything on facebook, thats awful isnt it? I would delete the account but some of the private groups I am in are valuable to be, maybe I should just delete all the people i havent seen in years!

S4uv3, yeah I think it takes a while to sink in, I am not sure if it even has for me yet! when I go for a scan and see the little baby on the screen I dont think I am registering that it is actually inside me! it is mad! It is like it is off in some other place being made instead of me actually making it....agh! good luck with meeting the midwives on monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Thanks greenttc. I'm the same in being quite private and I don't post anything very personal on Facebook. OH is much more active on social media and he wanted to announce our news on Monday after our scan and I asked him to hold off for a few days. We told lots more family and friends after our scan but I sort of thought anyone we are actually in touch with and are in our lives know about our news. I don't really see the point in putting it out there to the 473 people on Facebook you worked with 10 years ago or you met a few times at parties or are old school acquaintances you'd happily never speak to again! So he's actually come around to my way of thinking and seems less keen to post it up. I'm not totally against it, and I'm paranoid there's someone we should have told and forgot about, but it feels a bit too personal to me. For now anyway.

Congrats s4uv3, it certainly takes a lot of getting used to. The scan is great for making it feel very real, but it still takes me by surprise at times. Greenttc said something very similar to what my husband said which is that the baby feels like a really distant thing but s/he isn't at all. I'm with him/her all the time. Lucky we have 40 weeks to get used to the idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Ladies with the innohep, my sister was on that and had an epidural. They just had to be very careful about being absolutely certain of what time she had her last dose of it so hopefully that option will be available to you.
    Had the booking in appt today and all went amazing. The team in UHW are really lovely. Saw baby, perfect little head, heart and spine, very active and measuring at 14+3 which is pretty spot on as my dates give me 14+2. Great excitement telling everybody afterwards.

Booking appt this morn, asked all the silly questions and got loads of info :)
    My consultant seems nice, but fingers crossed I won't have to see much of her, I'm going with the midwife led care.
    Got a mini scan that lasted only a few seconds, she just wanted to check its heartbeat. I saw a head and four limbs, so thats a good start! Feeling a bit more in control now that I'm armed with my own chart and information!

• Advertisement

How's everybody getting on?
    Just back from the GP, she used the doppler to hear it's heartbeat and "I'm growing well" apparantly. What a lovely way of saying "you're getting fairly roundy" :pac:

Been tired and emotional this week, but overall keeping well. Plenty of round ligament pains too, I sneezed on Tuesday and let out a little whimper with the pain of it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Padme

I had my consultant appointment on Tuesday, and we've agreed that I'll be going in at 39 weeks for a section. So I guess it'll be a January baby!

I'm pretty huge. I keep being asked if it's twins!

Smaoifs, that's good to hear about the innohep and your sister, really hope I can get the timings right!

S4uv3 that is really great that your doctor has a Doppler, nothing like that with my gp! It is so reassuring to hear ir see something! I had an appointment with a little scan few weeks ago so was delighted to see lots of movement etc. I have another appointment soon but every time I get closer to the appointment my fear that something has gone wrong grows, totally stupid I know but I can't help it. The fact that I am not feeling amy movement or kicks now at 18 weeks is kinda freaking me out too, I know it's totally senseless as I may not hear anything for another few weeks yet but still! Anyone else feeling anything?

Padme that is nice to have a plan in place, is a section something you had planned to have anyway? Good to be able to prepare for it and not have any doubt about dates etc...!

Time is going so fast isn't it????

greenttc wrote: »
    Smaoifs, that's good to hear about the innohep and your sister, really hope I can get the timings right!

S4uv3 that is really great that your doctor has a Doppler, nothing like that with my gp! It is so reassuring to hear ir see something! I had an appointment with a little scan few weeks ago so was delighted to see lots of movement etc. I have another appointment soon but every time I get closer to the appointment my fear that something has gone wrong grows, totally stupid I know but I can't help it. The fact that I am not feeling amy movement or kicks now at 18 weeks is kinda freaking me out too, I know it's totally senseless as I may not hear anything for another few weeks yet but still! Anyone else feeling anything?

Padme that is nice to have a plan in place, is a section something you had planned to have anyway? Good to be able to prepare for it and not have any doubt about dates etc...!

Time is going so fast isn't it????

I am the same, constantly worrying that something is going on. I'm not feeling much movement, and not every day. This is my second, so I'd feel it earlier than someone having their first. 18 weeks is the earliest they say you can expect to feel anything on your first, so try not to worry about lack of movement!

I had an emergency section last time, and with everything that happened, I'm feeling much better about a planned section. The doc said that if we were planning more kids that he'd recommend trying a VBAC, but as we're not, there's no point risking it. I'm delighted, very happy with my choice of consultant so far :)

That's great Padme, nothing like having full faith in your doctors :)

Does anyone have any idea what the sizing is like on H&M maternity wear? Super small fitting like the rest of their clothes? Need to start getting some bits. Bought a pair of jeans from JoJo Maman Bebe in a size 12 as reviews said they were normal fitting - perfect in the waist, could have fit two of me down the legs :P

Does anyone have any idea what the sizing is like on H&M maternity wear? Super small fitting like the rest of their clothes? Need to start getting some bits. Bought a pair of jeans from JoJo Maman Bebe in a size 12 as reviews said they were normal fitting - perfect in the waist, could have fit two of me down the legs :P

I find them true to size, I love the h&m maternity stuff, soooooo comfy!

I found them slightly small, but a lot of people have said the maternity sizing is perfect so maybe Ive just put on more weight than I thought :pac:
    Thats on trousers, I found the tops to be spot on.

CheerLouth wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea what the sizing is like on H&M maternity wear? Super small fitting like the rest of their clothes? Need to start getting some bits. Bought a pair of jeans from JoJo Maman Bebe in a size 12 as reviews said they were normal fitting - perfect in the waist, could have fit two of me down the legs

I found h&m sizing quite good. I'm a 14 and git jeans - VERY comfy and very good value too. My local h&m is quite small so I'll defo be ordering some stuff online!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

H&M tops are perfect, jeans and dresses small. Jojo maman are very generous!

Advertisement