Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cert for work completed

Options
  • 25-05-2016 9:46am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just want to double check the process here in terms of getting the cert of work completed from an electrician.

We needed a new fuseboard (upgrade from ceramic fuses to trip switches) and the electrician brought in by our builder gave us a quote to do this. I insisted that part of the job was to include a load balancing switch for the two electric showers and this was accordingly costed.
    The electrician also said that the cable coming from our meter to the fuseboard needed to be upgraded and this would be included within the job as it now had to be done (some new rule in since March or thereabouts).
    We would get a cert of completion once the job was done.

Anyhow, he replaced the board and the mains cable. For some reason, he didn't do the load balancer yet thought that he was finished the job. When I asked him, he said that I should be ok as long as both showers aren't on at the same time.
    I said that I was unhappy with this both from a safety perspective and from a payment perspective.
    So he then said my options were to get a load balancer (of which there are two types) or to have a switch on the board that I flick depending on which shower I want. I insisted that it's the load balancer that we were originally quoted for (and it would be the safest). I've to schedule a date for him to do this.

Anyhow, he told me when asked that the cert for completion needs the ESB to come out and finish the new cable at the meter.

I don't trust the guy at this point and am not sure whether the cert should be issued by him now or is there something that the ESB need to do or what.
    He is a RECI member.

Hopefully some of you know if I'm being given a line or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Just as a add on the balancer for the showers is known as a non priority or priority switch go for the non priority as the shower that is on can not be over ridden also have you got 10mm square cable running to the showers the non priority switch unit is about €50 extra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

kbannon wrote: »
    The electrician also said that the cable coming from our meter to the fuseboard needed to be upgraded and this would be included within the job

[...]

Anyhow, he told me when asked that the cert for completion needs the ESB to come out and finish the new cable at the meter.

I don't trust the guy at this point and am not sure whether the cert should be issued by him now or is there something that the ESB need to do or what.
    He is a RECI member.

What he told you is perfectly correct. Both RECI and the CER will tell you that tails must be upgraded if necessary as part of the job and your Electrical Contractor would be in breach of the National Wiring Rules if he did not do this.

It is also correct that the Post-Connection Tests could only be conducted once the tails have been swapped over.

I think your RECI Contractor is to be applauded for carrying out this job properly and not doing an illegal job cheaply which bona fides RECs cannot compete against.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Risteard81 wrote: »
    What he told you is perfectly correct. Both RECI and the CER will tell you that tails must be upgraded if necessary as part of the job and your Electrical Contractor would be in breach of the National Wiring Rules if he did not do this.

It is also correct that the Post-Connection Tests could only be conducted once the tails have been swapped over.
    Cool, thanks.
    I think your RECI Contractor is to be applauded for carrying out this job properly and not doing an illegal job cheaply which bona fides RECs cannot compete against.
    Yes, if you ignore the part where he promised to fit a load balancing switch but didn't and left it so that in theory I could switch on both showers together.
    When I called him on this I was offered either a load balancer or a regular switch (or even to leave as is but not use both showers at the same time).
    Because he didn't do the job properly, I had my doubts about the rest of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If there's no priority switch installed does the main ESB fuse not have to be upgraded to 80A? Could be completely wrong I know it used be the case years ago.

I don't know.
    When I raised it with him (both when he was quoting for the work and afterwards), he did mention the potential fire hazard from it!?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would not pay and also have words with the builder and see will it be rectified.

Pay when completed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Have you paid him yet?
    He wouldn't be getting paid by me until he did the works quoted.
    By not putting in the priority switch he's trying to save a few quid.
    They are around €100+

I would not pay and also have words with the builder and see will it be rectified.

Pay when completed

Yeah, that's the plan.
    I just wasn't sure how much of a ride I was being taken for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah, that's the plan.
    I just wasn't sure how much of a ride I was being taken for.

Just because they have reci doesn't mean they are not terrible at what they do.

I never finished my time but am very surprised at what some try and pass of as a good job.

The units are expensive but they are well advised when 2 showers are in line to be on at the same time.

Fitted one in mine years ago and works a treat.

Yes, if you ignore the part where he promised to fit a load balancing switch but didn't and left it so that in theory I could switch on both showers together.

Obviously interlocked contactors/priority switch should have been fitted if there are multiple electric showers (not power showers). I wasn't commenting on that aspect of the installation. I was simply responding to your query about tails and certification.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Applauded ? :confused:
    For getting one aspect right?

The electrical installation does not comply with the regulations :eek:

2011 wrote: »

Applauded ? :confused:
    For getting one aspect right?

The electrical installation does not comply with the regulations :eek:
    I was talking about in terms of tails and certification, which unfortunately many (most?) ignore.

I clearly wasn't referring to the issue of the contactors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was talking about in terms of tails and certification, which unfortunately many (most?) ignore.

I clearly wasn't referring to the issue of the contactors.

I accept that but I would hold off an applause until the entire electrical installation is compliant.

Overall this is unacceptable.

Advertisement