Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice Carpenter/cabinet maker

Options
  • 25-05-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi looking for an apprenticeship in either cabinet making or carpentry in WIcklow. I've just finished a fetac level 5 furniture course .

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Check out with the local Intreo office, I believe the government are introducing initiatives to

promote apprenticeships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Is cabinet making as we know it not gone as a trade no. Have they not combined it with some woodworking design coarse.

Is cabinet making as we know it not gone as a trade no. Have they not combined it with some woodworking design coarse.

Correct..

I think they have combined it with a wood machinists course. Which

is nothing short of a joke in my opinion. Each deserves its own 4

year instruction time frame.

I think its a cost cutting exercise on both courses . I cant see how

its anything else.

I though wood machinest is gone a long time now. I thought they combined it with furniture design

I thought cabinetmaking and woodmachining were combined together, I,l have to double check

that. Could have been furniture design, so i,m open to correction there.

• Advertisement

Ye you might actually be right but that was a good few years ago I think it has changed again in the last couple agai.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

andyob99 wrote: »
    Hi looking for an apprenticeship in either cabinet making or carpentry in WIcklow. I've just finished a fetac level 5 furniture course .

Much depends on how old you are,
    http://www.gmit.ie/furniture/bachelor-science-furniture-design-and-manufacture
    this is a very good course with an international reputation in GMIT
    its fetac level 7 i think
    So if you are over 23 you can apply as a mature student if you do not have the points (about 260 i think) to apply as a school leaver

just an idea
    tim

Advertisement