Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tastiest Veg for Stir Fry

Options
  • 25-05-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I like broccoli, red onion, sweetcorn, and peppers. I would love to hear what other people like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I like broccoli, red onion, sweetcorn, and peppers. I would love to hear what other people like.

Brocolli, pak choi. Spring onion, thinly sliced carrot

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In addition to veg mentioned above, I love sugarsnap peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

green beans and babycorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Sugar snap peas, Baby corn, sweet red pepper and broccoli

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

courgettes and mushrooms too!

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »

Yep I always chuck these in too!

Pretty much any veg can go in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I find kale works really well in some stir fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Sugar Snap Peas, regular peas, chestnut mushrooms, carrots, cashew nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Mushrooms, red onion, garlic, ginger, grated carrot, tenderstem broccoli, baby spinach, chilli and peppers.

Speaking of stir fries, no matter what I put into them in terms of spices, herbs, sauce etc they never turn out flavoursome, they are always quite bland. Any tips on making a tasty one?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

The most important ingredient is bean sprouts

Australian-Salmonella-outbreak-linked-to-bean-sprouts_strict_xxl.jpg

You're at nothing without them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

whiskeyman wrote: »

I never thought of mushrooms, good one.

Alcoheda wrote: »
    The most important ingredient is bean sprouts

Australian-Salmonella-outbreak-linked-to-bean-sprouts_strict_xxl.jpg

You're at nothing without them

I don't like beansprouts thats why I dont buy the pre-prepared packs.

Mushrooms, red onion, garlic, ginger, grated carrot, tenderstem broccoli, baby spinach, chilli and peppers.

Speaking of stir fries, no matter what I put into them in terms of spices, herbs, sauce etc they never turn out flavoursome, they are always quite bland. Any tips on making a tasty one?

Oh yes any tips on a sauce, I just buy the packet ones, they are just o.k. not delicious by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I usually make a mixture of dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and fresh chili. Can't give any exact measurements but when you taste it and you think it's way too strong, it's usually just right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

garlic, chilli, basil or coriander and lots of fish sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to be the same, I'd always end up way overdoing it with the spices. I realised the best thing was to keep the flavours simple... now whenever I make beef stir fries, I do them one of two ways and I find them both full of flavour.

The first one is Jamie Oliver's beef & black bean sauce from his Ministry of Food book.

Second one (which is particularly quick and easy) is:

- 1 chopped chilli & 2 chopped garlic cloves - sauté in oil in wok for a minute.

- Add beef strips, and stirfry for about 3 minutes, then remove from wok and set aside.

- Add whatever veg you're using to the wok (I usually use spring onions, red peppers, babycorn, sugar snaps, baby brocolli). Sauté for about 2 minutes and then add back beef, and season.

- Add 3 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp honey and mix until everything is fully coated.

Lots of garlic, ginger and chilli if you like it.

Sesame oil gives a very authentic Asian flavour so add in a dash, along with soya sauce at the end of cooking

I am not keen on soy sauce or black bean sauce, I like more of a creamy sauce, something maybe that I could use Coconut milk in so thanks to Surball for those links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Garlic, onions (the big white French ones) and peppers. Keep it simple! Oh and maybe a few courgettes and mushrooms.

• Advertisement

I am not keen on soy sauce or black bean sauce, I like more of a creamy sauce, something maybe that I could use Coconut milk in so thanks to Surball for those links.

That would be more an Indian dish so.

Thai red curry paste and coconut milk could do the trick for you!

That would be more an Indian dish so.

Thai red curry paste and coconut milk could do the trick for you!

So do you think maybe a spoonful of paste and a cup of milk would make a good stir fry sauce?

So do you think maybe a spoonful of paste and a cup of milk would make a good stir fry sauce?

There's a red dragon Thai curry paste that's pretty good for a quick meal.

I think it's one quarter of a jar of the paste to one full tin of coconut milk. Put the chicken in raw to the sauce once it's heated through and allow to cook. I would lightly stir fry the veg seperately and chuck them in towards the end so they stay crisp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and bean sprouts.

Crunchy!

I think it's one quarter of a jar of the paste to one full tin of coconut milk. Put the chicken in raw to the sauce once it's heated through and allow to cook. I would lightly stir fry the veg seperately and chuck them in towards the end so they stay crisp.

would that not be too much sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and bean sprouts.

Crunchy!
    Where do you get water chestnuts? I love them but can never find them. Only ever had them in Chinese take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Celery! Thrown in just before the end so they remain crunchy.

would that not be too much sauce?

It depends on how much chicken & veg you have.

If it's just for yourself half that quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

That's a Thai curry, not a stir fry :D

• Advertisement

That's a Thai curry, not a stir fry :D

Yes I know lol, read back the posts.

Advertisement