Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tastiest Veg for Stir Fry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've recently started blanching my veg prior to stir-frying.

Makes a world of difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I've recently started blanching my veg prior to stir-frying.

Makes a world of difference!

All your veg or just some types?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Bean sprouts, water chestnuts, mange tout, sweetcorn, peppers, MUSHROOMS, shallots (because they make me cry a little less than bigger onions) and courgette. With lovely toasted sesame oil, dark soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sometimes a little dark muscovado sugar. I'm hungry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For those that don't like beansprouts :
    Try just putting them in the wok for the last 30 seconds or so. That way, they retain their crispness. Soggy, limp beansprouts aren't nice.
    Oh, and never, ever use tinned beansprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sugar snap peas, Baby corn, sweet red pepper and broccoli

Not a fan of the baby corn. It always has a bitter earthy taste. Maybe I'm cooking it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't like baby corn either, it creeps me out and I don't know why. My favourite veg are peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrot. Also mangetout and green beans - which are two packs for €3 in a lot of supermarkets and the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where do you get water chestnuts? I love them but can never find them. Only ever had them in Chinese take away.

I have seen them tinned in tesco. I get them in bigger tins in asian supermarkets for far less though. They do the bamboo shoots too, again far cheaper than tesco.

Sesame oil has to be in it for me, whenever I have it people comment, its like a "hmmm its missing something" type of thing. I always get hungry going past restaurants and takeaways when they are using it. Only get the 100% stuff though, they have cheapo stuff which is diluted down with regular veg oil.

I keep meaning to grow my own beansprouts the time they are picked is meant to be important, and time from picking to cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Not vegetable choice related (whatever's fresh and colourful) but on the I stirfry the veg using a tiny bit of oil and a kettle of boiling water beside me so I can tip a couple of tablespoons in when needed. It's steamed/fried that way and far easier. I add the sauce/reserved meat marinade at the end and always thicken it with a bit of slaked cornflour to allow it to coat the meat & veg instead of sliding off. Stirfy is one dish were your mis en place is utterly vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My favourite would be simply carrots cut in matchsticks, beansprouts and Chinese chives. C'est tout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Red onion can work wonders in any stir fry. Bean sprouts are a must for me too.

• Advertisement

Red onion can work wonders in any stir fry. Bean sprouts are a must for me too.

I agree red onion is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Veg-wise - scallions, sugarsnaps, green beans, bamboo shoots, broccoli - especially thinly-sliced stems, pak choi, Chinese cabbage & bean sprouts.

Minced garlic, sliced chillies, ginger matchsticks, szheuan pepper, star anise, soy/hoisin/oyster/fish sauce to give spice & flavour.

I cooked a delicious one last night I used:

1 Red Pepper
    1 Yellow Pepper
    Bunch of Spring Onions
    Sweet Corn (Aldi, tinned)
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Diced cooked Chicken breast
    Fresh Noodles from Aldi
    Amoy Peanut Stir Fry Sauce

I have to say if I had it in a restaurant I would be back the next day, it was truly Yummy!

Advertisement