Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Castle Thoughts

• 25-05-2016 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

If anyone's willing to offer their thoughts on the golf course at Waterford Castle, I'll try to use them in an article I'm writing for Irish Golfer Magazine.

Please say when you played the course as it's been under new ownership since last year.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

As it was last year I played it I won't comment. But I love your pieces in the Irish Golfer great stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Played it over the easter for the 1st time and was very impressed.very well stocked pro shop also.the opening few holes and the par 5s around the middle were the pick of the bunch.the only downsight for me was the ferry which is a nice novelty but if you get unlucky that the ferry has just left your side when you arrive you will have about a 15 minute wait for it to come back so leave plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

Played it few times about five or six years ago. Have very fond memories of it. Enjoyed the idea of arriving in a ferry. Also at that time a fox used come up to the club house each evening to be fed - another fab sight. Thought the course was very good and well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

As it was last year I played it I won't comment. But I love your pieces in the Irish Golfer great stuff!

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

Please, fire ahead with your comment - even if negative. I played it a week or so ago and it was in very impressive condition. I was told that the course was closed for seven weeks straight this winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I thought it was in pristine condition when I played it in a GD event. It's a great layout but it can feel short probably from being an island course.Bunkers were consistently good as we're the greens.
    As it was an event the clubhouse was well set up with good quick service and friendly staff.
    I thought the ferry added to the drama but could see the agony if lads were making time.
    Can't think of any negatives in fairness, a must do open this summer even though it's a 3 hour round trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Haven't played it this year yet but usually play about half a dozen times every year as the brother in law is a member and I also play their weekly open once or twice. Last time I played was after change of ownership but I didn't notice any differences. It is a lovely golf course with a few fairly tough holes but overall very playable for your regular handicap golfer (like me). Not terribly long but not short either. Usually very well maintained and presented. Trees are getting big in places which comes into play on a few holes and I heard members complaining about that.

What makes The Castle is the island location, the secludedness, the ferry. Its a bit like entering a different world just a few minutes from Waterford city centre. All of a sudden your looking at nothing but the river, deer & pheasants, beautifully maintained landscapes, no noise from traffic, away from everything. It gives a pleasant feel to the hole thing. Club house is nice casual but yet very decent, food is good. I like playing there and I usually play quite well there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I've played Waterford Castle a couple of times every year for the past 17 or 18 years. Being from SW Wexford, its a two ferry journey for me. I still remember the swimming pool and I had my very first (of very few) eagle on the short par 5 5th so it always brings a smile.

The staff have always been friendly and the food good. The course is normally in excellent condition - as it is currently and although not too long - there are some challenges. For the less experienced, the third can be a bit daunting - a tee shot over a decent drop of water - its probably no more than an 8 iron to the far side but most will take much more than required and end up in the woods! Lovely scenic setting, not too difficult, well maintained wildlife aplenty.

Advertisement