Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a fair price?

Options
  • 25-05-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hello

Just had a guy out to fit a new electric double oven and hob using existing point but extending by 3 metres. Charging 200 euros full job. 10 minutes to run cables off existing point then connecting new oven another 10 mins. Would like some feedback please, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

hello

Just had a guy out to fit a new electric double oven and hob using existing point but extending by 3 metres. Charging 200 euros full job. 10 minutes to run cables off existing point then connecting new oven another 10 mins. Would like some feedback please, thank you.

If he actually done that job in 20 minutes from the time he entered your house to the time he left your house and you see this as all he has done then I can see why you feel like he overcharged. If however he had to include travel time to your house, insurance, registration and other such costs in his price then although I think his price might be a little on the high side it may be justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

aido79 wrote:
    If he actually done that job in 20 minutes from the time he entered your house to the time he left your house and you see this as all he has done then I can see why you feel like he overcharged. If however he had to include travel time to your house, insurance, registration and other such costs in his price then although I think his price might be a little on the high side it may be justifiable.

A job like this should be a call out fee ( this includes tax, insurance wear and tear on the van etc) plus parts. Op you overpaid by around 100 Euro.

You should always make sure the tradesman is up to the job and insured. Next you should get a price and on a job as easy as this it's very easy to quote over the phone. I'm a tradesman myself and always quote first. Letting someone do the job first is never a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A job like this should be a call out fee ( this includes tax, insurance wear and tear on the van etc) plus parts. Op you overpaid by around 100 Euro.

You should always make sure the tradesman is up to the job and insured. Next you should get a price and on a job as easy as this it's very easy to quote over the phone. I'm a tradesman myself and always quote first. Letting someone do the job first is never a good idea

I did say I thought the price was a little on the high side. I didn't realise how much the op was overcharged by as I have no idea what the going rate would be for a job like this. I was just making the point that there are other costs involved in running a business that need to be included in a quote.

aido79 wrote:
    I did say I thought the price was a little on the high side. I didn't realise how much the op was overcharged by as I have no idea what the going rate would be for a job like this. I was just making the point that there are other costs involved in running a business that need to be included in a quote.

You are perfectly right. I cover bray to Balbriggan & I often put up 100 miles per day. My tolls range from €2.25 to €10. Tradesmen have a lot of genuine expenses that people wouldn't know about.

I really think the bottom line here is always get a price upfront but much more important is to make sure the tradesman is good at their job & are insured.

You can haggle on the price before the job but not afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rootedhaggis

hello

Thanks for replies. I wasn't complaining, I was looking at short notice and I checked his credentials alright and I have no problems paying a decent tradesman for his work. It just sounded a bit pricey. I unfortunately had no time to get several guys in as it was all a bit rushed. We live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dad2mad4

Hi. I'm an electrician myself and I do believe that you were over charged. All he had to do was join the two appliances into one joint box using flex. €10 for material. I would have said €140 max if it was through the books with a receipt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dad2mad4 wrote: »
    I would have said €140 max if it was through the books with a receipt.

To comply with the forum charter all prices are compliant with revenue.

Please have a read of this before posting.
    Thank you.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

hello

everyone happy that the existing cable was suitable to be extended by 3m using some form a connection block?

What was there before: you now have double oven and a hob.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

everyone happy that the existing cable was suitable to be extended by 3m using some form a connection block?

I was assuming cable was replaced from switch to cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I was assuming cable was replaced from switch to cooker

Okay, maybe i misread your post re the connection point but if it was redone from the switch, embedded on the wall away from the cooker, I don't think 10 mins would have been enough,
    again, just asking.
    Also what size is the cable: perhaps 4 sq, 6 sq

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

. I unfortunately had no time to get several guys in as it was all a bit rushed. We live and learn.
    I agree.
    On the positive side, you got it sorted quickly and it sounds like you are happy with his work and it's certified.

The lesson learned is a bonus.:)

Advertisement