Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any mountain biking trails in Galway?

Options
  • 25-05-2016 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I`m looking to do a bit of recreational mountain biking this summer, just on trails, preferably dowhill trails and am looking for recommendations of where to find such trails around the galway area. i am living just a few miles outside Galway City and am willing to travel up to an hour by car to find good trails to tackle.

Unfortunately, i don`t own an off-road or mountain bike and would also be looking for recommendations on where to rent same.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

subscriber wrote: »
    I`m looking to do a bit of recreational mountain biking this summer, just on trails, preferably dowhill trails and am looking for recommendations of where to find such trails around the galway area. i am living just a few miles outside Galway City and am willing to travel up to an hour by car to find good trails to tackle.

Unfortunately, i don`t own an off-road or mountain bike and would also be looking for recommendations on where to rent same.

Thanks
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=171&rec_site=111
    this is the most popular around the area and is used for many races.

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx?c=Galway
    this might help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Thanks

Try out these guys.
    http://mbikeworks.com/about-us-2/thingswedo/bike-rental/
    Its on the way to Derroura from Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Thanks for yere help, made a few phone calls and westside cycles are doing an offer for 2 mountain bike rentals with helmets, pads, breakdown kit ect for the day for 50 quid and provide a map to get to Derroura so I`ll be going with that.

Anyone actually done the trail? How long does it take to cover the 16km? We will be going at a fairly leisurely pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thanks for yere help, made a few phone calls and westside cycles are doing an offer for 2 mountain bike rentals with helmets, pads, breakdown kit ect for the day for 50 quid and provide a map to get to Derroura so I`ll be going with that.

Anyone actually done the trail? How long does it take to cover the 16km? We will be going at a fairly leisurely pace.

I've done it a few times in 90 mins to 2 hours taking it easy. You could do two laps to make it a bit more challenging.

Trojan wrote: »
    I've done it a few times in 90 mins to 2 hours taking it easy. You could do two laps to make it a bit more challenging.

Excellent thanks. Looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement

Just got around to doing this yesterday, highly enjoyable. A fair few hairy moments, the trail changes directions quickly from left to right in sections and you have to be on your toes with your reactions to deal with them. A few minor slips here and there but didn't come off the bike at any point thankfully. Trail seems very well maintained right through the course I have to say. The only criticism I would have to make is of the directional markers.... There tiny little red markers posted onto wooden stakes and are very easily missed. Twice we went off course but we're able to track back and find out way, ideally the directional markers should be better presented and easier to spot but I'm not completing much. Throughout enjoyed it. Got around just the one loop in 2 hrs 4 mins which we were happy with having never done any trail biking before. Highly recommended.

Advertisement