Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The brand split is back: Official Draft thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Live reaction from the Performance Centre of Finn Balor being drafted at overall number 3 for Raw.

Nia Jax reaction to being drafted.

Looks legit surprised/happy/emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

qF56Dv0.jpg

I didn't get a chance to read much of this thread, I'll get a chance at lunch time. I have a few questions though, whats the story with the women's championship now? Will the champion be floating over the 2 shows? If not, then why bother having token women on smackdown fighting in meaningless matches. Same questions for the tag champs.

I'd love to have seen Bayley get drafted, wonder when they will bring her up now.

Raw really is the A show, I thought they might have put the womens division onto smackdown seeing as Raw got the cruiser weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Heath Slater wasn't drafted by either side I wonder what that means for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

So Heath Slater wasn't drafted by either side I wonder what that means for him.

another stupid heath slater storyline..... woohooo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Maybe when Nikki Bella comes back from Injury she will go to SD and Bayley will also go there. Then they would have a decent enough womens division given that Becky, Nattie & Naomi are there too

Otherwise trade em to Raw now that it's evident to Shane/Bryan that they don't really have a womens division. Use that even up the tag division at the very least or to get some more new era guys as that is what Shane said he was all about

Trade: Becky, Natalya, Naomi, Carmella & Orton = Zayn, Strowman, Anderson & Gallows,

It'd put "The Club" back together (even though it does move em away from Balor) while improving SDs tag division (AMerican Alpha vs Anderson & Gallows would be nice), all the wyatts back together and seperates Zayn & Owens.

Meanwhile The Womens division is complete on Raw giving people like Becky a real purpose. Carmella is reunited with Enzo & Cass making them a 3 person team before they potentially take on New Day plus Orton & Cena are not on the same brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

When Brock Lesnar is number 8, you're doing it wrong.

Ambrose and Rollins going first and second makes sense from the title perspective. But there is no reason for Charlotte, Styles, Balor and Reigns to be picked ahead of Lesnar. Cena you can make an arguement for.

Smackdown really got fucked the longer it went.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    When Brock Lesnar is number 8, you're doing it wrong.

Ambrose and Rollins going first and second makes sense from the title perspective. But there is no reason for Charlotte, Styles, Balor and Reigns to be picked ahead of Lesnar. Cena you can make an arguement for.

Smackdown really got fucked the longer it went.

Wouldn't the argument just be that Lesnar is only a part time guy and not around for most of the year?

Interestingly there were no Free agent signings during the draft but maybe they might be signed to fill gaps on rosters.

There had been rumors about the likes of Carlito, Benjamin etc for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Maybe when Nikki Bella comes back from Injury she will go to SD and Bayley will also go there. Then they would have a decent enough womens division given that Becky, Nattie & Naomi are there too

Otherwise trade em to Raw now that it's evident to Shane/Bryan that they don't really have a womens division. Use that even up the tag division at the very least or to get some more new era guys as that is what Shane said he was all about

Trade: Becky, Natalya, Naomi, Carmella & Orton = Zayn, Strowman, Anderson & Gallows,

It'd put "The Club" back together (even though it does move em away from Balor) while improving SDs tag division (AMerican Alpha vs Anderson & Gallows would be nice), all the wyatts back together and seperates Zayn & Owens.

Meanwhile The Womens division is complete on Raw giving people like Becky a real purpose. Carmella is reunited with Enzo & Cass making them a 3 person team before they potentially take on New Day plus Orton & Cena are not on the same brand.

Ssssshh, that makes way too much sense when it comes to WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wouldn't the argument just be that Lesnar is only a part time guy and not around for most of the year?

Interestingly there were no Free agent signings during the draft but maybe they might be signed to fill gaps on rosters.

There had been rumors about the likes of Carlito, Benjamin etc for example

Assuming The Rock isn't a part of the roster, Lesnar is also by far the biggest draw in the company. From a kayfabe point of view, why would he not be number two on your list behind the WWE Champion, regardless of how often he appears? You know that when he is advertised, that show is almost definitely going to be doing better than when he isn't advertised.

Even holding the part time thing against him, there is still no reason for the likes of Charlotte and Balor to be picked ahead of him. Lesnar is a proven attraction, neither of them are.

This is really a minor complaint considering how unbalanced the rosters ended up after the rest of the picks were made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Assuming The Rock isn't a part of the roster, Lesnar is also by far the biggest draw in the company. From a kayfabe point of view, why would he not be number two on your list behind the WWE Champion, regardless of how often he appears? You know that when he is advertised, that show is almost definitely going to be doing better than when he isn't advertised.

Even holding the part time thing against him, there is still no reason for the likes of Charlotte and Balor to be picked ahead of him. Lesnar is a proven attraction, neither of them are.

This is really a minor complaint considering how unbalanced the rosters ended up after the rest of the picks were made.

Well maybe because brock has been a bold boy and got caught by USADA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think they addressed that a bit last week; they said that the GMs had to focus on the people who they could build their weekly shows around, and simply put, Brock isn't someone that you can do that with. He's a big draw but he will only be on each show, what, 5 times a year? Six? Ambrose, Rollins, AJ, Finn....these guys are your solid foundations.

Also, after his whole drugs thing, it can be easily argued that his stock had fallen, once again showing you shouldn't put him too close to the top of the choice list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon neville will be at the top of the new cruiserweight division on raw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think they addressed that a bit last week; they said that the GMs had to focus on the people who they could build their weekly shows around, and simply put, Brock isn't someone that you can do that with. He's a big draw but he will only be on each show, what, 5 times a year? Six? Ambrose, Rollins, AJ, Finn....these guys are your solid foundations.

Also, after his whole drugs thing, it can be easily argued that his stock had fallen, once again showing you shouldn't put him too close to the top of the choice list.

Charlotte ahead of Cena was absolutely ridiculous. They are trying to build up the women's division, yeah that's cool but I'm not going to buy that being logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

ERG89 wrote: »
    Charlotte ahead of Cena was absolutely ridiculous. They are trying to build up the women's division, yeah that's cool but I'm not going to buy that being logical.

Because she's a champion so would make sense to have the belt on your show unless the champions can float but I doubt they can because what would be the point of having them in a draft when they're on both shows. Honestly expected that New Day would be SDs second pick so they'd have the champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

There are probably going to be two womens belts, two tag belts, and two world belts, if recent info from PWInsider & The Observer is to be believed.

Monokne wrote: »
    There are probably going to be two womens belts, two tag belts, and two world belts, if recent info from PWInsider & The Observer is to be believed.

I thought the same although as it stand the Smackdown Womens division would be:

Becky, Nattie, Naomi, Carmella, Alexa Bliss & Eva Marie

If there is to be a title on that brand they really need Bayley to come to the brand (and ideally if her return from injury goes well Nikki Bella).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Honestly they need Bayley, Asuka and 2 - 4 more good women. They are spread way too thin now.

I guess Emma could probably go to SD too when she returns from her injury

Maybe they should sign....Kharma! (Awesome Kong)

She is the only free agent female I can think of with name value out there at the moment.

Right I thought the tv coverage last night was great in general and I didn't even watch smackdown. The network draft show was superb and I watched most of it live.i loved the way they seemed to have a bit of freedom to give their opinions especially booker T who was dropping bombs all night. :D

I loved enzo and cass on the network and it showed that if you let these guys talk without scripting stuff that they are even better than on live tv. I mean how can Vince and the writers not see that and not let them a bit more freedom.

I liked the draft picks in general but the Eva Marie pick I hated. I mean how she was on the non nxt list in the first place baffles me. I think they could have drafted the current champs in order at the top and that way Charlotte being third would have made a bit more sense kayfabe wise.

• Advertisement

I thought the same although as it stand the Smackdown Womens division would be:

Becky, Nattie, Naomi, Carmella, Alexa Bliss & Eva Marie

If there is to be a title on that brand they really need Bayley to come to the brand (and ideally if her return from injury goes well Nikki Bella).

I think that Alexa and carmella could benefit hugely from working with becky and nattie. Becky and nattie are two veterans who could improve the two girls even more on the base they got in nxt. And that's why I've no real problem with Alexa and carmella being brought up because if you watch nxt you can see the development and improvement. That's in contrast to Eva Marie who hasn't and probably won't.

Actually thinking about it there really is not much left on the NXT womens roster after this draft (losing Nia Jax, Carmella and Alexa Bliss) and especially if Bayley does go up to the main roster they need new stars to be made there quick. I mean who else can you see challenging for the title at a takeover? I guess they will call up Ember Moon soon (Personally don't like that name at all) and despite not being there that long Nikki Storm is bound to not be waiting too long either

Asuka
    Aliyah
    Peyton Royce
    Billie Kay
    Liv Morgan aka Gionna Daddio

and then doing their house shows

Binky Blair (newly signed crossfit athlete apparently)
    Daria (Tough Enough)
    Ember Moon aka Adrienne Reese (Athena)
    Mandy Rose aka Amanda (Tough Enough)
    Nikki Storm
    Sara Lee (Tough Enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They have had a couple of regular or semi regular guests too, like Deonna Purrazzo, Tessa Blanchard, Santana Garrett. They might sign a couple of those to contracts. Purrazzo in particular seems to have a lot of buzz about her from the indies.

Pentecost wrote: »
    They have had a couple of regular or semi regular guests too, like Deonna Purrazzo, Tessa Blanchard, Santana Garrett. They might sign a couple of those to contracts. Purrazzo in particular seems to have a lot of buzz about her from the indies.

They should plus obviously they have their own horsewomen but Blanchard def could have a role with Charlotte in the future.

Tamina is another like Nikki Bella & Emma on the injured list from the main rosters ladies too and thus were not drafted.

Similarily Luke Haper wasn't drafted.

It would suggest that Neville must be back soon that he was drafted

also if there are to be trades surely trade Kalisto to Raw for the CW division

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Enjoyed the Draft and they surprised me with some of the choices.

On reflection the rosters are pretty good.

RAW
    Commissioner: Stephanie McMahon
    General Manager: Mick Foley

#1. Seth Rollins
    #3. WWE Women's Champion Charlotte
    #5. Finn Balor
    #6. Roman Reigns
    #8. Brock Lesnar
    #10. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day[/B]
    #11. Sami Zayn
    #13. Sasha Banks
    #15. Chris Jericho
    #16. WWE United States Champion Rusev with Lana
    #18. Kevin Owens
    #20. Enzo Amore and Big Cass
    #21. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
    #23. Big Show
    #25. Nia Jax
    #26. Neville
    #28. Cesaro
    #30. Sheamus
    #31. Goldust and R-Truth
    #33. Titus O'Neil
    #35. Paige
    #36. Darren Young with Bob Backlund
    #38. Sin Cara
    #40. Jack Swagger
    #42. The Dudley Boyz
    #44. Summer Rae
    #46. Mark Henry
    #48. Braun Strowman
    #50. Bo Dallas
    #52. The Shining Stars
    #54. Alicia Fox
    #56. Dana Brooke
    #58. Curtis Axel

All the NXT champs on one show: Rollins, Big E, Neville, Bo, Zayn, Owens, Finn.

All NXT Womens Champions on one show, Paige, Charlotte, Sasha

Overall lots to look forward to here.

SmackDown

Commissioner: Shane McMahon
    General Manager: Daniel Bryan

#2. WWE Champion Dean Ambrose
    #4. AJ Styles
    #7. John Cena
    #9. Randy Orton
    #12. Bray Wyatt
    #14. Becky Lynch
    #17. WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz with Maryse[/B]
    #19. Baron Corbin
    #22. Chad Gable and Jason Jordan
    #24. Dolph Ziggler
    #27. Natalya
    #29. Alberto Del Rio
    #32. The Usos
    #34. Kane
    #37. Kalisto
    #39. Naomi
    #41. The Ascension
    #43. Zack Ryder
    #45. Apollo Crews
    #47. Alexa Bliss
    #49. Tyler Breeze and Fandango
    #51. Eva Marie
    #53. The Vaudevillains
    #55. Erick Rowan
    #57. Mojo Rawley
    #59. Carmella

Smackdown is a lot lighter on names but the show is a lot shorter so its okay. American Alpha could be huge on this show. Apollo should get over here as well. I think NXT promotions will be common onto the Smackdown roster and a "Talent" sharing initiative between Regal and Bryan will happen at some stage. Even just in matches to showcase NXT people in the lead up to takeover events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I liked the draft picks in general but the Eva Marie pick I hated.

I thought she was a great pick.........:pac:

CnxoH-TWcAEt1bz.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Few things I noticed about those NXT reaction vids was Bayley going over to hug Finn and Nia genuinely seemed like she had no idea considering she was texting on her phone beforehand and wasn't ready. Yet the woman 2 seats over from her seemed to know she was going.

How could anyone ignore the real number 1 pick, Heath Slater? If it means more time for him onscreen as he tries to get a place then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great to see Finn was treated as a star during the draft, he's HHH pet project and the guy is talented. so here's hoping he has a successful career in WWE.

NXT call up's, I think Finn, American Alphas and Bayley who I think will debut on Sunday at Battleground will get big pushes, I be very surprised if Bayley isn't on Raw or Smackdown next week. Nia Jax will either be pushed as a monster heel or will end up in the Tamina bodyguard role for the next heel female champ. Eva Marie, I wouldn't be surprised if she's a Woman's champ in the next year or she end up pretty much been used outside the ring as the female wrestler they send for media events and stuff then been let go come next year. Mojo Rawley will end up in tag team with Zak Ryder or been a jobber, that's the best he do. Carmella, I'm surprised she was called up so early and that she's not on Raw with Enzo and Cass. I think she be jobbing out for a while but I think she be a big star in the future. Alexa Bliss, I think she could be the one to keep a eye on, she's a good heel.

Surprised Kalisto was moved to Smackdown seen as Raw is the Cruiserweight brand. The Club and AJ styles were broken up so quickly was another surprise. I think that's a sign that Balor will join up with The Club. That Zayn and Owens weren't put on different brands. I thought Reign's would have been on Smackdown. I think Lesnar should of been able to skip between Shows.

Overall a good draft pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Kalisto may be put in the mid card title picture again which is why not having him get involved in the cruiserweight division. Make him even more like Rey Mysterio so maybe a world title shot later.

So apart from him, who else do people think this split will benefit? I think they should try a re-debut of sorts for The Ascension. I know they're not a popular team but try to turn them into less of a joke.

I think Carmella is fine on her own. The main reason I think it's strange they didn't put her with Enzo and Cass is because so much of her gimmick is based on theirs so anyone who doesn't know her would be confused or accuse her of ripping it off from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The one thing I'm looking forward to seeing is how Bray Wyatt and the rest of the Wyatt family play out. Is he beyond a world title run at this stage?

Just looking at the Smackdown roster and his previous feuds I really can't see where he fits.

Advertisement