Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Appliance

Options
  • 25-05-2016 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey

So we brought back an electric bbq grill from Brazil that is 110v and 1800 watts - does anyone know what converter i could get to ensure that i can use it here in dublin?

any help at all would be great

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I don't think any converter will work. When I moved here from the US, an electrician told me that I must leave behind all of my sensitive, computerised, and resistance-heated appliances because they'd be "fried" by the increased voltage, even with a voltage converter. Many 220-volt appliances (though not all) will still work, albeit slowly, on 110-volt power with or in some cases without a step-up converter. But it is unsafe to operate low-voltage appliances very long or very frequently from a high-voltage source, even with a step-down converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The simplest way is to get a Yellow 220v-110v step down transformer and use that to run the grill.
    You will need to find one that will run 1800w continuously.
    They aren't cheap though probably around 80-90 euro would buy one that will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Speedwell wrote: »
    I don't think any converter will work.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many of them on sale?
    When I moved here from the US, an electrician told me that I must leave behind all of my sensitive, computerised, and resistance-heated appliances because they'd be "fried" by the increased voltage, even with a voltage converter.

He was talking rubbish, the converter changes the voltage to 110V and that gets fed to the appliance so how could the 'increased voltage' fry the appliance? The issue is that you need a converter that can handle your power (kW) requirements, any converter that's rated higher than the device power consumption will do the job no problem so if the OP buys a converter rated for 2 kW or higher, that will do the business.
    Many 220-volt appliances (though not all) will still work, albeit slowly, on 110-volt power with or in some cases without a step-up converter.

The OP's appliance is 110V so that does not not apply.
    But it is unsafe to operate low-voltage appliances very long or very frequently from a high-voltage source, even with a step-down converter.

What about someone from the US who brings their laptop or mobile phone over to Europe and plugs it in for several hours to the 220-240V mains here?

coylemj wrote: »
    Have you ever wondered why there are so many of them on sale?

Yes, in fact. The engineers I worked with told me they were unsafe garbage.

He was talking rubbish, the converter changes the voltage to 110V and that gets fed to the appliance so how could the 'increased voltage' fry the appliance? The issue is that you need a converter that can handle your power (kW) requirements, any converter that's rated higher than the device power consumption will do the job no problem so if the OP buys a converter rated for 2 kW or higher, that will do the business.

I understand it's a bit more complicated than that.

The OP's appliance is 110V so that does not not apply.

What about someone from the US who brings their laptop or mobile phone over to Europe and plugs it in for several hours to the 220-240V mains here?

Their circuitry is specifically designed for such use. Typical kitchen appliances are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

But it is unsafe to operate low-voltage appliances very long or very frequently from a high-voltage source, even with a step-down converter.

So how does that fit with the insistence on 110V equipment on sites from the yellow traffos?
    Just wondering

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I understand it's a bit more complicated than that.

What's complicated about it? All that matters is the voltage (110V), the frequency (60 Hz but often doesn't matter) and the maximum load (in kW) capability.
    Their circuitry is specifically designed for such use. Typical kitchen appliances are not.

The appliance won't know that the mains feed has been converted so why wouldn't it work properly?

Virtually every hotel bedroom in the country has a shaver socket in the bathroom that can supply a 110V AC feed - are they unsafe or are there complications that we need to know about?

coylemj wrote: »
    Virtually every hotel bedroom in the country has a shaver socket in the bathroom that can supply a 110V AC feed - are they unsafe or are there complications that we need to know about?

They're unsafe for everything except shavers. Many hotels post signs to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CJhaughey wrote:
    The simplest way is to get a Yellow 220v-110v step down transformer and use that to run the grill. You will need to find one that will run 1800w continuously. They aren't cheap though probably around 80-90 euro would buy one that will suit.

I don't see a big issue with this advice.
    We use different frequencies ,50hz vs 60Hz.
    This can impact on some fans and motors.
    But if this is just heating element load and the transformer you buy here is rated for above the appliance load
    So say a 3.3 kVA unit with a 13app fused plug top . I wouldn't see an issue either

https://www.watsonhire.ie/product/cheapest-transformer-in-ireland/

As stated the continuous use would need to be monitored as cooking for long periods of time could be an issue.

For example the unit I quoted above drops from 3.3 to 1.65kva for a continuous load, this might end up at only around 1400W continuous use.
    All this depends on how long you run it for without giving it a rest and if it's running at Max all the time too.

Note your unit is 1800 W. With lower setting use we'd expect this to be below that. So have a look around to satisfy yourself that the continuous loading matches your needs.

Advertisement