Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notice of intention to marry

• 25-05-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Has anyone had any recent experience with Civil Registration Offices recently. We're planning to get married in September so I've made contact with both the mid-west and Dublin offices to attempt to serve three months notice of our intention to get married. It is then that I am told that we won't even be able to serve notice until September, let alone get married in September.

Without getting into too much of my personal situation, due to visa issues, my Fiancée and I need to get married before year end. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elephant85

You can get around the 3 month notice by going to the courts. But you'll need a solicitor...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 harmarsuperstar

elephant85 wrote: »
    You can get around the 3 month notice by going to the courts. But you'll need a solicitor...

Thanks. I'm not even looking to get around the three month notice, they just can't seem to take appointments.

If you book online, there are appointments available from June 21st (well on double checking its now 30th so they're booking up quickly!)

I found an appoitnment in Mayo - castlebar for June 8th.

They appear to be going quick though!
    Here's the link:

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/crsappointment/crs_online_booking/

Don't use IE to book, as I was getting an internal server error. I've been using Firefox.

its not the most reliable.. the dates keep changing..
    Good luck!

elephant85 wrote: »
    its not the most reliable.. the dates keep changing..
    Good luck!

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm fairly sure that you're not restricted to giving notice in the district where you intend to marry. If I'm right then you could make an appointment with a registrar outside of Dublin where the waiting list for the appointment would be shorter. Might be worth looking into if you're pressed for time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

You can give your notice in any county. We did ours in co.louth but got married in Dublin. Co. Louth had more availability. I would ring them (drogheda).

Then all you need to do is get a "registrars agreement" which is a piece of paper to say the registrar in other county will marry you. No big deal!

Dublin get cancellations for the marriage the whole time. Get your paperwork done ASAP then hang in for ceremony. Dublin marry every day. Co Louth only marry Tuesdays and Fridays :)

Thanks all, I was able to get an appointment in Bray relatively soon!0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Where you give notice depends on how you intend to get married.

If you're having a religious or secular ceremony then you can give notice anywhere. If you're having a civil ceremony then notice should be given in the district where you intend to get married.

Where you give notice depends on how you intend to get married.

If you're having a religious or secular ceremony then you can give notice anywhere. If you're having a civil ceremony then notice should be given in the district where you intend to get married.
    No you can give your notice in any county for a civil marriage. We had a civil marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This suggests otherwise:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/civil_marriage_ceremony.html

It's the district rather then the county that applies.
    If you are getting married by civil ceremony in a Registry Office or other approved place, you should approach the Registrar of Civil Marriages for the district in which you intend to marry for information on how to proceed. There is no requirement to live in the district where you want to get married.

As well as arranging your civil marriage ceremony there is also a requirement to give 3 months notification to a Registrar. This does not have to be the same Registrar.

This suggests otherwise:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/getting_married/civil_marriage_ceremony.html

It's the district rather then the county that applies.
    You get a registrars agreement. It is very common. As stated we had civil in Dublin but did paperwork in drogheda. No problem. Happens regularly, they told me every office will give registrar agreement.
    We are proof of that! I am teacher so limited in dates I could give my notice as can't take days off during school term.

I don't see in link where it says otherwise!

Yeah you're right, I'd enquired about this and they said it was possible.

Advertisement