Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA documets (API)

Options
  • 25-05-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi so im heading to America next week on a holiday visa and i pretty much have everything sorted: Passport, Flight tickets and ESTA but on the Aer Lingus site it says you need something called an API (Advance Passenger Information) and ive no clue what this is. If anyone knows id really appreciate it and also if ive forgot anything else, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can submit the information on the Aer Lingus website. IIRC the data they need is the passport number and expiration date for all of the people on your booking. It's technically needed for the US, Spain and Portugal and for Spain and Portugal it can be done by the counter clerk at check-in time but for the US it's advisable to do it in advance.

Have the booking reference and your passport at the ready, go to www.aerlingus.com click on 'my trips' , put in the booking data, click on 'manage trip' and you'll see 'submit API data' or something similar as one of the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 StephenOT

Im actually flying with United and there is no mention on it of the API I just happened to see it on the aer lingus website. Is the checking in when you give the information?

StephenOT wrote: »
    Im actually flying with United and there is no mention on it of the API I just happened to see it on the aer lingus website. Is the checking in when you give the information?

Then it's likely that United just submit the data an hour or so before the flight departs based on data gathered at check-in time. I checked their website and they don't mention any special pre-flight procedures for a passenger to submit the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 StephenOT

Thats great!
    Thanks a million for all the help, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

just to clarify the ESTA is not a visa - it's permission to travel.

• Advertisement

Well now if we want to be totally pedantic, it is not 'permission to travel', it is permission to present yourself at a point of entry to the US.

In the case of pre-clearance at Dublin airport, you can show up with ESTA approval but still be refused entry in which case the only travelling you'll be doing will be on the next bus home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even with a visa you can get refused, it's all down to the CBP agent you meet. Without ESTA or a visa you'll definitely be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

I always fly on United, and yes, they'll look after the API stuff for you...it never gets mentioned.

Advertisement