Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with an Apple Macbook

Options
  • 25-05-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My dads laptop is showing a message instructing to turn it off and back on but it won't go away. See attached photos.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Possibly a failed update.

As with most things mac, there's probably little you can do but take it to an apple store to be looked at by a "genius".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Looks like kernel panic, can you reinstall the OS off a key?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fieldog wrote: »
    Looks like kernel panic, can you reinstall the OS off a key?

Aye, whenever I see panics on these systems I have to wonder about the RAM. Could be a dead stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, if I was troubleshooting this I would first try and find out how much RAM is in the system, and whether it has 2 sticks. If it does have 2 separate sticks of RAM I would take one out and power the system on. If you still get panics, then I would replace the stick of RAM you removed, and remove the other stick. Then boot again. Hopefully the system will boot with one of the sticks removed.

If this is the case then you'll need to source a new stick of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

At what stage does the error appear ? During boot up or after the system has loaded ?

Given the age of the machine I'm going with a bad hard disk but you can enter single user mode and run some diagnostics which might help.

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement