Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get work.

Options
  • 25-05-2016 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I'm a 22 year old lad and am looking for work in South Donegal. None of the hotels, restaurants or shops will look at me as I've no experience in those fields. How am I going to get the experience though?
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

PM The Backwards Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Silverman.

Is he an employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Silverman. wrote: »
    Is he an employer!

He's in Donegal the same as you, and he's always in need of a few jobs done. Show him that you're of any use and who knows where it'll lead ya. Now what more could you ask for than that?

He's in Donegal the same as you, and he's always in need of a few jobs done. Show him that you're of any use and who knows where it'll lead ya. Now what more could you ask for than that?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Aint Eazy Being Cheezy, do not post in this thread again and go troll somewhere else.

@ Silverman, ignore his posts as he's merely winding you up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

I'm a 22 year old lad and am looking for work in South Donegal. None of the hotels, restaurants or shops will look at me as I've no experience in those fields. How am I going to get the experience though?
    Any thoughts?
    Don't sweat it bud something will turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Put an advert in the local paper looking for work. It shows your being proactive and want to work

muffler wrote:
    @ Silverman, ignore his posts as he's merely winding you up.

Will do. Thanks for the warning.

Thanks everyone, its the age old, don't have experience cos nobody will give me a chance to get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Print out a load of CV,s and go and hand them in to businesses, shops ,everywhere really, you might get lucky ,this is why i am working now, 2 months after doing this got a phone from a businesses i handed my CV into ,been working there 2 yrs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Find out who does the hiring and try to hand your CV to them personally. Be neatly dressed, smile, say you don't have experience but are a hard worker and willing to learn. Be available. Say you are willing to take even a few hours work, work at short notice or work unsocial hours. Do whatever it takes to get your foot in the door and then prove yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've heard that the Creamery in Killygordon is looking to take on staff.

Not sure of the phone number, but you should be able to google.

http://www.daisi.ie/index.php/Our-Company-Company-History-3/

http://www.daisi.ie/index.php/Our-Company-Company-History-3/

I would think phoning Killygordon to enquire first would be best - they would tell you if you need to contact Sligo. No experience is needed for creamery work at Killygordon.

Good luck in your job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Any thoughts?

I'm 23 from south donegal and in the some boat, I'm on this intreo thing where I have to show welfare I look for work every months and at this stage all I can tell them is I've applied and don't have enough experience, I can't travel so I'm limited to where I can even look for work. I was told do jobs bridge to get experience but that's just cheap labour for them. Best thing is keep checking websites etc and hand in cvs to places that aren't even looking something will come up

Still no luck. Doesn't help that I've no car either tbh. Limits options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Still no luck. Doesn't help that I've no car either tbh. Limits options.
    Get your priorities straight bud, how are you going to sneak into sea sessions with a bag of cans should be forefront on your mind.

Mr.S wrote:
    There is a lot wrong with JobBridge, but in this case it would be beneficial, you have literally nothing to lose and will gain experience for your CV.

Its being scrapped by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Any thoughts?

I'm 23 from south donegal and in the some boat, I'm on this intreo thing where I have to show welfare I look for work every months and at this stage all I can tell them is I've applied and don't have enough experience, I can't travel so I'm limited to where I can even look for work. I was told do jobs bridge to get experience but that's just cheap labour for them. Best thing is keep checking websites etc and hand in cvs to places that aren't even looking something will come up

Get a grip of life and go out with a backpack of CVs and hand them out anywhere. Learn to drive contact locak tradesmen do anything you can....

Jobs don't simply land on your lap sitting in you bedroom on boards!!

23 years in this world and you don't have a job.. my mind can not process that!! Apologies if this reply come across as rude but maybe it might be the kick up the (you know where).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

derra_121 wrote: »
    Get a grip of life and go out with a backpack of CVs and hand them out anywhere. Learn to drive contact locak tradesmen do anything you can....

23 years in this world and you don't have a job.. my mind can not process that!! Apologies if this reply come across as rude but maybe it might be the kick up the (you know where).

If you can tell me how I can afford to drive when I make €100 a week on the dole then I'm all ears. I've no problem looking for work the fact is half the people don't want to look at me because I've barely any experience (I have some qualification at least), or want to offer me a contract for Jobs Bridge for a year which would leave me out less money a week than before on travel etc and with no job at the end of it. South Donegal isn't exactly the most economic place to live.

Anyway it just looks like I'm lazy and making excuses here, I'll continue with my job hunt the same as many others.

derra_121 wrote:
    derra_121 wrote:
    derra_121 wrote:

Awful post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

derra_121 wrote: »

You're rude, unhelpful, and stupid. No one cares what your mind can or cannot process - your inability to empathise with someone in a very difficult position is your failure and no one elses. The fact that you think this short-sighted, snotty post could be some sort of motivator is mind-blowing.

He came here asking for some advice on how to find a job with no experience, as he has been met with numerous rejections wherever he looks, and you think a reply that essentially amounts to "get a life and get a job" is useful?

Get bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod note: Be a bit more civil here please and play nice

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose the questions would be what experience/education/qualifications do you have? I mean you said you're 23, and I don't mean to sound ignorant, but have you ever worked before now? Have you attended college? Have you taught yourself programming or have any computer experience? Done volunteer work for Special Olympics? Anything along those lines?

Personally I don't see why hotels wouldn't hire you when they hire students from both school and college. They are part time though. But part time would be a start.

You say the lack of a car is limiting, but what kind of limits are you putting on yourself with regards the type of work you're looking for? Like I know there are people who would go to somewhere like a hotel and wouldn't settle for anything less than bar work as something like day/kitchen porter doesn't appeal to them. I don't see how washing dishes requires experience. And from one hotel, I know one dish washer became a chef for the hotel, while another became manager (though to be fair that was a long time ago the manager was a dish washer).

Also with regard the lack of a car, there's a good chance you'll know someone going in the direction of your place of work, so try not to let that be a big factor in limiting your options.

And then there are some 6 month computer courses you hear about in the LYIT and FÁS(or whatever it's called now) which can lead to fulltime employment in places like Pramerica and Allstate, which is where the computer experience comes in. I've heard of people going on one of those courses with basic experience. I believe the cost of these courses are covered if you're on the dole and you still get the dole as well. Think the next FÁS one starts within the next few weeks, if you can get in touch with them. LYIT one starts in September, I believe.

Like I said, sorry if some of these questions/statements come across as ignorant, but these are all things you may want to take into account and you may have already thought about.

Advertisement