Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial Automation Course ??

Options
  • 25-05-2016 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am a qualified Electrician looking to go back to night college . I have a course picked out in Blanchardstown IT for Industrial Automation which runs for 2 years and you get a level 7 certificate .

Has any one done this course before and is it worth doing ? What are the job prospects like after .?

Or would i be better off going for an engineering course or somehing like that .

Any help would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

conork92 wrote: »
    I am a qualified Electrician looking to go back to night college . I have a course picked out in Blanchardstown IT for Industrial Automation which runs for 2 years and you get a level 7 certificate .

Has any one done this course before and is it worth doing ? What are the job prospects like after .?

Or would i be better off going for an engineering course or somehing like that .

Any help would be great

I am not familiar with this course, but my advice would be to make sure that whatever course you do is accredited with Engineers Ireland.

You can check to see if this course is accredited here. If you don't you may find that all of your hard work will not advance your career (which I assume is your aim) as employers will be less likely to recognise this qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

conork92 wrote: »

Any help would be great

I'm not sure how similar this course is but I've just finished it:

http://www.eit.edu.au/advanced-diploma-industrial-automation-4

It's an 18 month advanced diploma course online course which I think is the equivalent of level 7. I'm based in Australia but the course can be done from any location as it is completely online. There are advantages and disadvantages to doing the course online but overall I found it challenging but doable.
    It is recognised by Engineers Ireland under the Dublin Accord:

http://www.ieagreements.org/Dublin/

I have only begun looking for jobs in this field so I'm not sure what the prospects are but would be interested to hear if anyone else can give some input. I don't work in anything really related to it either so this may go against me.

As regards doing an engineering course it really depends on how much time you want to invest in doing the course. As an electrician you may get some exemptions but will still have to do the majority of any degree course. Having a degree will increase your job prospects more than a level 7 though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »
    It's an 18 month advanced diploma course online course which I think is the equivalent of level 7.

This is important, you need to know if it meets the requirements for NFQ 6 or 7.
    would be interested to hear if anyone else can give some input.

I went through this process several years ago.
    PM me a phone number and I will provide you with plenty of input.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conork92

Thanks for the information

Anyone else got any thoughts ??

To be honest my head is wrecked at the minute looking up courses so any help would be great

I kinda wanna go down the PLC and Automation and Control route but don't know what course would suit that best

Again any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dublindaveae111

Hi,
    Any update on this course.i am also an electrician looking at doing a course similar to this would you recommend it?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement