Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found a dog

• 25-05-2016 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Or to be more accurate he found us. A small terrier type dog turned up in our garden this evening in Portmarnock and has been following us around for the last few hours.

I think he's used to being indoors as he keeps trying to come in when we open the doors. Maybe an elderly person's dog.

I gave him a wrap and a couple of slices of cheese which he wolfed down but doesn't look undernourished.

As it's getting dark and there's no sign of him leaving, I set up a makeshift bed in the shed.

Has a collar but no details.

Any suggestion on how to find his owner?

I have a couple of pics but can't post them as I'm a new user.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Bring him to a local vet to have him scanned for a microchip would be your first port of call.

The "lost and found" sticky has some good resources on the next steps you should take: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055413146

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

maximum12 wrote: »
    Or to be more accurate he found us. A small terrier type dog turned up in our garden this evening in Portmarnock and has been following us around for the last few hours.

I think he's used to being indoors as he keeps trying to come in when we open the doors. Maybe an elderly person's dog.

I gave him a wrap and a couple of slices of cheese which he wolfed down but doesn't look undernourished.

As it's getting dark and there's no sign of him leaving, I set up a makeshift bed in the shed.

Has a collar but no details.

Any suggestion on how to find his owner?

I have a couple of pics but can't post them as I'm a new user.

OP - firstly well done on giving him shelter for tonight fair play to you!

Ok so firstly you need to bring the dog to the vet and get them scanned - the dog could be micro chipped etc .. It's a free service in all vets! If that is the case he will be reunited tomorrow with his owner - providing the details are up to date.

Secondly ..call the following places give a good description of the dog and all your contact details... They may also ask you to email a photo of the dog:

Your local Garda station
    Local dog pound (google it)
    Local animal rescue centre (Google them too)
    On Facebook there are tons of lost and found pages - search them and pop up a post about the dog etc.
    Put up a free ad on adverts about finding the dog
    Call local dog warden with all details (Google it)

All the places above is where the owner may be looking...

Remember just because someone says it's their dog it may not be.. No proof no dog etc.

Hope this helps! Hope the guy finds his owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Fair play to you for talking the little guy in. If you have no luck with the microchip at the vets, contact <snip> and <snip>. Both have facebook pages and will share details and photos you have. Also there may be a local buy and sell group or similar on facebook where you could post him. Also good old fashioned posters in local shops, church etc will do no harm. Hopefully he will be reunited with his owner soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Thanks all. Will start with the local vet to check for a chip tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, can I just remind everyone that naming or linking to individual rescues is not allowed on-thread. Suggestions by pm only please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Red Fred

DBB wrote: »
    Folks, can I just remind everyone that naming or linking to individual rescues is not allowed on-thread. Suggestions by pm only please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Woops. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Maybe its just me, but I would absolutely not put any ads up on advert sites about a found pet. These sites are crawling with people looking for free or cheap animals. If you absolutely must do this anyone claiming to own the dog must show you proof of ownership. Photos, dog licence, registration papers, contract of sale or adoption whatever they have.

Should be able to reunite this guy with his owner tomorrow.

Local vet Facebook page has pictures of the same dog brought in Two and three months ago. Seems to be a serial offender!

In the meantime I've brought him into the house as he wasn't getting the concept of the shed bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

In the meantime I've brought him into the house as he wasn't getting the concept of the shed bed.

This made me chuckle... they're funny like that, aren't they?

Good for you for taking care of him. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

kathleen37 wrote: »
    This made me chuckle... they're funny like that, aren't they?

Good for you for taking care of him. Thank you!

That gave me a giggle too!

• Advertisement

Got some dog food from a neighbour. He has been following me everywhere I go. He even went on the school run this morning. Working from home and he has been lying beside the desk.

Now reunited with owner although I think he wanted to stay. Kids will be disappointed when they get home from school.

Thanks all.

well done OP a happy ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If hes a "serial offender" - rather the owner is not taking proper responsibility for their dog - he might remember you and your kindness, and come back to live with you :) Your children would be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

aonb wrote: »
    If hes a "serial offender" - rather the owner is not taking proper responsibility for their dog - he might remember you and your kindness, and come back to live with you :) Your children would be happy :)

Well done op! But as s serial offender, the LEAST his owner could do is spend a fiver on a tag with a phone number.

REALLY maddens me how people continue to irresponsibly own a pet. Luckily you found him... So many other outcomes in cases like this

Hooked wrote: »
    Well done op! But as s serial offender, the LEAST his owner could do is spend a fiver on a tag with a phone number.

REALLY maddens me how people continue to irresponsibly own a pet. Luckily you found him... So many other outcomes in cases like this

Yes seems dumb not to have a tag when this is his third time in three months being found via the vet.

He was chipped by the vet when found last time.

Everyone would look for a tag but not everyone would think about the chip. I'm not a dog owner so didn't think about the chip before posting here.

Yes seems dumb not to have a tag when this is his third time in three months being found via the vet.

He was chipped by the vet when found last time.

Everyone would look for a tag but not everyone would think about the chip. I'm not a dog owner so didn't think about the chip before posting here.

Under Irish law ALL dogs must be micro chipped since April of this year, its illegal with a massive fine if not....but your right a tag costs nothing and saves all the hassle...

Advertisement