Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clematis stopped flowering

Options
  • 25-05-2016 9:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello,

I planted a lovley clematis about 5 weeks ago. It was about 3ft tall with lots of flowers on it. Gradually over the last few weeks the flowers just fell off bit by bit, now it has no flowers at all..

The plant itself seems healthy, it has 3 climbers which have climbed about 16 inches and wrapped itself around my trellis and still seems to be growing.

Any ideas as to why the flowers have just withered off? No signs of new flowers coming on either.

Help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

It depends on the variety, but its probably finished for the season.

Look forward to it being even better next year :)

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

blackbox wrote:
    It depends on the variety, but its probably finished for the season.

Ah stop. I thought they would flower for most of the summer :(

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

I mean it started losing flowers immediately after being planted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    I mean it started losing flowers immediately after being planted

could have been the shock of being newly planted. If its green, it will be grand and may have a second flush. Really need to know what variety it is

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some clematis have very short flowering periods, I can't think of any that will flower all summer. It is possible to plant several with different flowering periods so that there is a longer display. It is possible to plant any plant in flower and have it continue to flower, but it is not at all unusual for the flowers to fall off. Many people would not plant a flowering plant in flower as it stresses the plant and in the long run a dormant or at least not-flowering plant would be more likely to thrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I would presume it's a montana variety, which stop flowering around now. Have you got the label still? Where did you buy it and what advice was given there?

Advertisement