Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work with your partner??

Options
  • 25-05-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, as post says, would you work with your other half? I work in a small company, great job, really enjoy am in an office supervisory role. Am really comfortable in my role, have great relationship with staff and customers alike. Opp for other half to come on board, working in another dept (only small place 8 of us) so in a way I would be his boss. He is keen as no more Saturdays, 9_5 Mon to Friday, happy days which is great and would be great to have him at home of a Saturday, he is looking to move from his job as much longer hours. I am not sure what to do? Has anyone had any experience of this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It depends a lot on both of your temperments.

I can do specific projects with my OH very well. We work well as a team. I'm not sure would working closely longterm be OK. As you say ye will be in diff sections. Should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No, it comes home with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The only way I'd consider it if if it was a family business that me and OH were starting. Otherwise no, on "don't screw the crew" reasons.

There's also the fact that if the company gets into trouble, you could both lose your jobs at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I work with my OH in totally different areas of the business but there is always a tendency to talk about work when we are at home. We try not to but as we know a lot of the same people or have the same news it does happen.

It can be a bit claustrophobic sometimes working for the same company but as we are not in the same building it's better for us. I'm not sure how it would go if we were working in the same office.

If it's a good change for your OH maybe do it so that he can get experience & then plan to move on if it doesn't work out. Lay down ground rules about work talk after office hours also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

no.

separation of church and state.

i could work with him. BUT i wouldnt.

dont **** where you eat mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My boss is a personal friend and his COO is his sister. We work well together, but none of us live together... or would!

My husband and I have talked about starting a restaurant, and our skills are complementary, and we think we are grown-up enough to make it work so long as we stick to "our side of the house". Plenty of family businesses do succeed. My parents thought it was too risky for both parents to be dependent on the same source of income, though, and I think they had a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Not a chance in hell. (Not that I have a partner to worry about!) But no, just, no. Too much risk of screwing things up ... not worth the chance.

You're in an awkward position now that you're in that situation already though. I don't envy you!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭indie warrior

OP here, thanks for feedback, so confused!! Company is doing very well and growing so not worried about been laid off. Some positives in it, mainly the hours but I think I am coming up with more negatives!! I think our 20 year marriage would be in trouble, having said that I think if I tell him no now he won't be very happy. Feck!!

pro and con lists are good in this situation but go with your gut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Not a hope,

I worked with a couple, they would roar abuse at eachother through out the day and never take each others side in any work issues (they worked in 2 different departments with a history of issues), but come 5:30, all was forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

No effing way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm not currently with someone, but there is no chance I would work with a partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I love my husband but there is no way I would want to work with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Myself and my partner work for the same company, I was really apprehensive about getting together as I was so against going out with someone I work with, but so far its been fine. It helps that we work in different divisions and I don't have to interact with him as part of my job, but I still see him in the office when we're both at the office that day (we both so site work so don't be in the office every day). We're both very professional with each other in work and would never take our relationship into the workplace as such.
    There's a few people that are in relationships in our company, we've got a married couple who've been together years and don't work in the same department and met at work, a newly married couple who met in work but the husband has left and another couple who've had a baby a few months ago. So some people can and do make it work.

biZrb wrote: »
    Myself and my partner work for the same company, I was really apprehensive about getting together as I was so against going out with someone I work with, but so far its been fine. It helps that we work in different divisions and I don't have to interact with him as part of my job, but I still see him in the office when we're both at the office that day (we both so site work so don't be in the office every day). We're both very professional with each other in work and would never take our relationship into the workplace as such.
    There's a few people that are in relationships in our company, we've got a married couple who've been together years and don't work in the same department and met at work, a newly married couple who met in work but the husband has left and another couple who've had a baby a few months ago. So some people can and do make it work.

did you get together after meeting at work or did one of you start in the company after ye got together?

its not relevant im just nosey...

always wondering about people who hook up with their colleagues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

What other people think should not affect your decision OP. You're married 20 years, know each other better than anyone else and can surely decide together what's right for you.

If my wife could cut out weekend work by working for the same company, I'd be all for it with one absolute condition: she'd have to report to someone else and in a different department.

I know many couples who work for the same employers. It's a great situation if you can both agree that work is left for the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

did you get together after meeting at work or did one of you start in the company after ye got together?

its not relevant im just nosey...

always wondering about people who hook up with their colleagues...

We got together after meeting at work, it took us a few years before we got together, as I said we don't work in the same division so wouldn't see each other that much. I found myself sitting on his table at a work Christmas party and that was the catalyst (along with booze:D) that brought us together.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭indie warrior

OP again, decision made, I went with my gut and pulled the plug. I just don't think that it would have been a good move for me, would have been great for him. Now to break it to him when he gets home! Thanks all for your feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

OP again, decision made, I went with my gut and pulled the plug. I just don't think that it would have been a good move for me, would have been great for him. Now to break it to him when he gets home! Thanks all for your feedback!

Well, maybe someday he'll be able to return the favour. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

OP, there is a simple reason that you could give him.

It is a big risk for a couple to work for the same business, if the business goes under then you are both out of a job. That is a risk that you should not take unless he was unemployed.

Advertisement