Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it colder out there than May last year?

Options
  • 25-05-2016 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

is it just me or is it feeling colder outside than May this time last year? even with the sunny days there can be a bit of a fridge like cold air coming from somewhere instead of a nice warm flowing wind and at nights say like at 1am its very cold and you can see your breath and theres dew on the glass and on the greenhouse glass - I just feel like it was warmer this time last year and trying to get my head around where this coldness in the air is coming from, i mean we are nearly into June now, surely the temperatures should be warmer and especially warmer than it is in the middle of night than it is now surely?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Not sure what weather you're experiencing. The last couple of weeks have been great, haven't noticed a nip in the air at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Rackstar wrote: »
    Not sure what weather you're experiencing. The last couple of weeks have been great, haven't noticed a nip in the air at all.

Bloody freezing ...(edit...not warm) this evening in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not sure if it's colder than last year but while the weather has been dry and bright recently it's definitley not warm or hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Certainly the coldest May in along time. Over the years this time of year would be a lot warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Certainly the coldest May in along time. Over the years this time of year would be a lot warmer.

my thinking exactly -

wheres the Global warming we were promised? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Well I don't know what's going on, I must be living in a parallel universe. Thought we had a great may myself. I've been out walking, playing golf, and hiking and had no complaints.

Well I don't know what's going on, I must be living in a parallel universe. Thought we had a great may myself. I've been out walking, playing golf, and hiking and had no complaints.

not even thought the accompanying wind had quite a little nip in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Being feeling warmer than last year in Limerick. Since early May it has felt like Summer! The dew and seeing your breath stuff, that happens every night as far as I see, even after warm days.

In fairness though its May and its supposed to be summer, but when you go outside in evening or middle of night its got like temperatures that are similar to what it was march/ beginning of April

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My records for May - Kilkenny (high ground)
    Mean temperatures:
    2012: 10.7C
    2013: 9.6C
    2014 : 11.0C
    2015: 9.3C
    2016: 11.3C so far

Since I got my weather station (Davis Vantage Pro2) it has been the warmest May so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Nay, I was working outdoors last may and it was definitely colder last year. Last April was better than this April though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

In fairness though its May and its supposed to be summer
    OK, firstly May is not supposed to be summer. It's spring, hence why there is quite often a nip in the air a lot of the time. Conversely, the mainland continent is usually warming up by now so depending on the wind source you may get lovely warm days but just as easily, you can still get cool or cold arctic blasts and even frost.

I usually view May as being the last hurrah of spring before summer arrives in June.... Well sometimes that does not seem to be the case!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Certainly a very cold May. I had to turn the heating on last night, cant believe how cold it feels for May.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

According to this - http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=1275 - for Sligo, mean temp so far this May, is quite a bit ahead of last May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lovely May here in Leitrim. Lots of sunshine and my farmers tan is coming along just fine. Sure it feels a little chilly on a night time but remember we are still in May.

Sat outside in the sun, having the breakfast about 2 weeks ago.
    Phone call from a friend in central France. Cool and wet.
    Facebook message from the father in law in the Balearics. Cool and Wet.
    A text from a friend doing the Camino in Portugal. Non stop rain and cool.

To be honest it put a smile on my face after the last 12 months of weather we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Last May was certainly cooler and wetter than May this year, but this period of May this year is slightly warmer than the same period last year.

Stats for Markee Castle for the 7 day period May 19th to 25th for both this year and last:

386951.PNG

Have certainly noticed a noticeable chill in the mornings especially myself the last few days, which I think is down to a combination of a brisk breeze and relatively low humidity values, which would be typical of dry E/NE winds at this time of year. Afternoons and evenings still very warm though.

Data above is from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

NO it is not even close to how cold May was last year. Here's my mean temperatures at Grange as reference:

May 2015: 9.1c (-1.7c below the LTA)
    May 2016: 11.5c (+0.8c above the LTA)

I haven't a clue what you're moaning 'bout.

Like on the 2nd of May 2015, I had a maximum of only 8.7c under extremely heavy rain. Today I have had 11.2c already.

sryanbruen wrote:
    I haven't a clue what you're moaning 'bout.

You do know the difference between moaning and observation ?

You do know the difference between moaning and observation ?

You do know the difference between sarcasm and truth?

Certainly a very cold May. I had to turn the heating on last night, cant believe how cold it feels for May.

Same here I have been having heating on and still using fan heaters whereas last year (by memory) I turned off CH after April and hardly put it on. Statistics aside , I still say it feels more chilly this May.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote:
    You do know the difference between sarcasm and truth?

Haha nicely played :-D

I find sometimes you cannot go by temperatures listed by the met centre and the like because there is a 'feels like' temperature as well and on my phone my weather app has often said something like 8c - feels like 2c on it.

I find sometimes you cannot go by temperatures listed by the met centre and the like because there is a 'feels like' temperature as well and on my phone my weather app has often said something like 8c - feels like 2c on it.

I will make a graph showing May 2015 and 2016's rainfall daily totals and daily maximum temperatures to show you how much warmer this year is compared to last year. Hopefully you can see why this May is much warmer. I will never forget how poor and atrocious May 2015 was in terms of everything, wet, dull and cold.

Here is the graph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There is a bit of a divide going on... during the 'heatwave' the west got 24, 25º while we barely scraped 20º in the east. There hasn't been anything like the heat in the east during May, its been quite chilly and today was 'cold'.

There is a bit of a divide going on... during the 'heatwave' the west got 24, 25º while we barely scraped 20º in the east. There hasn't been anything like the heat in the east during May, its been quite chilly and today was 'cold'.

Last year was still coldER! :p. I can't complain much about us having little days with 20c compared to the west as I have recorded 3 days with 20c or more whilst I only recorded one such day in May 2015.

Kilkenny city got to 22.6C
    On my hill it got to 21C.

Today was cold alright.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Last year was still coldER! :p. I can't complain much about us having little days with 20c compared to the west as I have recorded 3 days with 20c or more whilst I only recorded one such day in May 2015.

I got no days over 20C last May compared to two so far this May.
    Last May my highest temperature was 17.4C
    So won't complain either when it could be far worse,

did anyone answer my bit about 'feels like' temperature? - many a time my phone has said 18c feels like 13c and at night something like 7c feels like 3c ... so I would err on the feels like figure as being correct ... especially when i go outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Herein Donegal we've had a predominant easterly Wind for quite a lot of May and even on warm Sunny days there has been a cold 'bite' in the wind. Saying that's, we've had a very dry May with only a day or two of rain so it's not all bad.

Advertisement